• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Repurposing Gardevoir GX for Post Rotation (WIP)

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Hey everyone. Been taking a long hiatus from PTCG due to some personal reasons, but I'm looking to get back into the card game and hopefully stay in it once the next rotation comes around since I won't have much time to play until then.

That being said, I've been sort of lurking all the set releases and wanted to start by rebuilding Gardevoir GX for post rotation as it's one of the few decks I understand right now. Feel free to make suggestions to the list or ask me if I've considered certain cards, because I know for certain I haven't caught wind of absolutely everything that's been going on the in the last half year or so.

Pokemon x23

Gardevoir GX x3
Ralts x3
Sylveon GX x3
Eevee x4
Zoroark GX x2
Zorua x2
Tapu Lele GX x3
Necrozma GX x2
Tapu Lele x1

Supporter x13

Cynthia x4
Guzma x3
Diantha x2
Judge x2
Pokemon Fan Club x2

Item x12

Ultra Ball x4
Rare Candy x3
Switch x3
Choice Band x2

Energy x12

Fairy Energy x8
Double Colorless Energy x4

Let me run through some reasoning here.

3-0-3 Gardy line up - I originally ran a 4/2/4 line, but the 4th copy of Gardevoir GX just never comes into play thanks to Diantha and Twilight GX. I also never use Kirlia since I can just Magical Ribbon search for Rare Candy + Gardevoir GX. Gardevoir GX is also not always the primary strategy of the deck. I usually just set 1 up for Secret Spring and let it build up over time while Sylveon GX takes the frontlines.

4-3 Sylveon GX line up - With N rotating out, Sylveon GX became the best search Pokemon in the game. Energy Evolution Eevee helps you thin out your deck at the same time. There is absolutely no reason to play Alolan Vulpix or Diancie over maximum Sylveon GX. You could technically drop Sylveon GX to 2, but there were games where I needed a 3rd copy to Magical Ribbon for crucial cards. I've also had a game where I prized 1 copy and had the 2nd copy in my hand, making it so I couldn't utilize Energy Evolution. 3 copies makes it almost statistically impossible to not have one copy in deck at all times in the early game.

2-2 Zoroark GX line up - Cynthia is currently the only decent draw supporter we know we'll have post rotation, so instead of 4 N 4 Sycamore, 4 Cynthia, 2-2 Zoroark GX is naturally the best replacement we have for our loss of draw power. As good as Sylveon GX's searching is, you still want access to draw power abilities so that you aren't forced to Magical Ribbon for hand advantage and can push damage instead while using Trade. Diantha also makes the discard cost of Zoroark GX's draw power not hurt nearly as much.

Tapu Lele GX - If there's anywhere I would cut cards to make space, I think it's here. 3 Tapu Lele GX is always my standard because I prioritize consistency over all else when deck building, but if dropping 1 for a deck changing card needs to happen, it can happen. Tapu Lele GX should be self explanatory at this point.

Alolan Vulpix - I almost wanted two copies of this, but I don't think it's necessary. Just like with Sylveon GX, with N rotating out, there's 0 reason to not play Alolan Vulpix, and there's almost no reason to choose the fairy type Diancie over this now. With Float Stone rotating out, getting Diancie into the active with energy is a bit harder and has late game reperccusions. You would rather Alolan Vulpix for Sylveon GX/Zoroark GX if you miss energy evolution and have bench set up, and Alolan Vulpix for Gardevoir GX if you have rare candy in hand for turn 2/turn 3 Gardevoir GX.

Alolan Vulpix is good but too slow for Stage 2 deck when you have the option to run Sylveon GX. Alolan Vulpix doesn't actually help you with Gardevoir since you can't search rare candy.

Xerneas (CRI) - Without Gallade, Gardevoir GX lost the ability to deal with things like Hoopa and baby Alolan Ninetales. Now that Alolan Vulpix became even more useful with N rotating out, I expect to see more Alolan Ninetales after rotation as well. The 130 on bright horn will see you through any of those anti GX walls, and you also should not underestimate Xerneas' Lead attack to search out supporters. Now that Glaceon GX is a thing and N is out of the format, the ability to search out supporters without Tapu Lele GX now has value. This move is made even more effective with Diantha since you can punish your opponent for a KO if they go after your fairy Pokemon when you Lead for a Diantha.

While good in concept, I don't think this is potent enough to deserve a spot. Why use Lead when you can just use Alolan Vulpix to search out a Pokemon and a Tapu Lele GX to search a supporter next turn anyway? The 130 damage on bright horn is fine, but Tapu Lele and Guzma should be enough damage to handle anti-GX situations.

Tapu Lele - This gives you a 1 prize incredibly powerful option that makes you not have to worry so much about guaranteeing OHKOs with 6+ energy on Gardevoir GX and taking massive losses on revenge KOs. Your energy game becomes much more efficient, and Secret Spring can activate Tapu Lele in a single turn. This is a mandatory tech in Gardevoir GX, IMO. You can just swing for 120/150 damage on Gardevoir GX per turn, and when the time comes just Magical Swap for 4+ prizes if your opponent isn't running Max Potion or any form of heal (Aka Prominence GX on New Solgaleo GX). Its first attack is also fantastic for revenge killing Gardevoir GXs or dealing big damage to Pokemon with high energy attacks.

This deck style just doesn't support Magical Swap at all. You're a deck focused on singling out targets one at a time and have absolutely no spread damage potential. Rolling a copy of Diancie to help with guaranteed evolution is a better choice to help with the deck's consistency, because Judge is very much a card that people can and will play to interupt Alolan Vulpix and Sylveon GX.

2 Necrozma GX/1 Tapu Lele
- I originally removed Tapu Lele from the deck because it ran no form of spread damage to utilize properly. Now that Necrozma GX is making the list, Tapu Lele is also back. 2 Necrozma GX might end up being over kill, but between the two, Necrozma GX is the more important part of the strategy. Tapu Lele can Magical Swap the damage around, but you can simply just get a handful of Pokemon into KO range by attacking for 140 with choice banded Sylveon GX as well. The Tapu Lele is just there in case you didn't get time to do damage before Sylveon GX was KO'd.

Cynthia x4 and Guzma x3 are self explanatory.

Diantha x2 - With Super Rod gone, we sort of lose energy recovery with Gardevoir GX. Diantha is the best option we have as a fairy deck to recover not only energy, but anything. This is an incredibly powerful punish play, but more than 2 I feel is clogging deck space since you can only play this after getting KO'd, and you can only lose 2 GX's before you lose the game. Any higher than 2 seems like wasted deck space to me.

Pokemon Fan Club x2 - You need this card to better your odds of reaching Sylveon GX should you not open it. You cannot afford to prize Pokemon Fan Club and struggle to get Sylveon GX in the active.

Lillie x1 - In addition to Pokemon Fan Club x2, one copy of Lillie will increase your odds of having a very strong opening hand. Supporter cards are a bit on the smaller count now that N and Sycamore have rotated. Sometimes grabbing just Pokemon isn't enough and you can get yourself a ton of resources if you even play one or two cards. Simply playing Ultra Ball to discard 2 cards to play a Lele into Lillie is already a decent hand refresh. Thanks to FrostBiter12 for this one.

Lillie is irrelivent when the only thing you want to do is reach Sylveon GX to hard search 3 cards. I've never had a T1 where Lillie is the best play in this deck. Just Fan Club your basics out and get them all set up with Sylveon GX.

Steven's Decision x1 - This is a fantastic turn 1 going first card when you aren't allowed to attack for turn anyway. Between Lillie and this, you have options for your turn 1 play depending on what your hand looks like. I think 1 of Steven's Decision should be in most decks post rotation.

Lady x1 - Lady is fantastic for several reasons in this deck. The first is that if you brick on energy, Lady can help you see the energy you need to both retreat your active if Eevee is stuck on the bench as well as give you the energy you need to Energy Evolution as well. If you don't need Lady for that situation, Lady becomes a huge energy pump for when you have 2 Gardevoir GX in play. Lastly, when you stack Lady with Twilight GX, you effectively have very easy access to searching 8 energy out of your deck during a single game.

Lady is good in concept but never came up as a game changing strategy in playtesting.

Judge x2 - Judge is a fantastic disrupt card for this deck. Playing both Sylveon GX and Zoroark GX together, you can very safely play Judge, use Trade to get back up to 5 cards, then use Magical Ribbon to be at 8 cards in hand, 3 of which are hard searched. It's also good for denying any opponent Magical Ribbons or Beacons from Alolan Vulpix. When you're in control of hand advantage, you might as well play Judge to slow your opponent down.

Ultra Ball x4
is self explanatory.

Rare Candy x3 was reduced from the full 4 copies because I always just end up searching for it with Magical Ribbon anyway. It does slightly reduce the odds of me just simply having it in hand and not having to search for it, but deck space is getting tighter with new additions.

Choice Band x2 is there for the mirror match in particular, but also to save on energy. I don't think I ever want to go lower than 2.

Switch x3 is here so that you can actually get Sylveon GX into the active and use it early. With Float Stone gone, we lose the ability of free retreat pivots, but we can at least change. I am highly debating if I want to use Escape Board here instead, but since Gardevoir GX has mostly 2 retreat cost Pokemon, I don't want to be losing an energy on every retreat. We'll see though. This slot is easily interchangeable with 2 copies of Escape Board instead.

Field Blower x1 - even with Garbotoxin gone, Stadiums and especially Choice Band are still a threat. Only 1 copy is needed as Sylveon GX can search it out for you, and Diantha can regrab it from discard if you need more than 1. I'm debating if I can do without this card completely since I would rather run more Switch/Escape Board to make Turn 2 Magical Ribbon more consistent. It'll end up depending on how many decks actually need Choice Band to close the damage gap against Gardevoir GX.

I place really low value on the Field Blower. I know this deck doesn't have a stadium to work with stadium wars, but I really don't care when most Stadium plays post rotation, like Brooklet Hill and Altar of the Moone, benefit the opponent on their turn as opposed to actually influence you on yours like Parallel City did. They can have those statiums all they want. I would rather play a 3rd copy of Switch so that I have as much mobility as possible in determining who I want to be my opening active Pokemon and to make Guzma plays far more flexible.

Energy pool is standard. I don't want to run the prism star energy since having the necessary Stage 2 count in play is abyssmal.

All in all I think that Gardevoir GX is a very strong contender post rotation. You have the strongest search engine, incredible energy acceleration, Plea GX for bad match ups in an evironment with no Parallel City, and beautiful tech cards like Tapu Lele with resource recovery in the form of Diantha. As far as Tier 2 decks are concerned, I don't think there's any out there that are as consistent at setting up as Gardevoir GX, and even then Tier 2 decks are still a bit too slow right now. Post rotation might change that.

As always, feedback & discussion is very welcome.

Last edited:
Hey @Duo!

I've been thinking a lot about post-rotation, and I've come up with a few general ideas to help pretty much all decks in the upcoming format. To begin, I'll start off with an explanation of "KicaBulu" in the spoiler below (if you already know what KicaBulu is, then you can skip the spoiler).

KicaBulu is an interesting take on the competitive VikaBulu deck that has been placing well in tournaments as of late. The new variant created by Peter "Kica" (hence the name) doesn't rely on a Wonder Tag/Brigette engine in order to get setup. Instead, the deck uses a higher Grubbin count, Nest Ball, and Lillie to increase your chances of getting Grubbins turn one without Brigette. Why would you go to all of the trouble then if you could just use Brigette? Well, the main reason people would play this version over the original VikaBulu is because KicaBulu gives you more resources for turn two, which is the turn you need to get a Vikavolt in play. The deck uses Nest Ball to preserve Tapu Lele GX and remove the need to play a Supporter such as Brigette to get the original effect. This means you can use Lillie to grab more resources for next turn such as Rare Candy/Vikavolt.

Now, using this concept in mind, how can we apply it to other decks besides VikaBulu? Well, it is very simple. All you need to do is cut the Brigettes (in this case, the Fan Clubs) and two other cards for three Nest Ball and one (maybe two if you want it) Lillie. So, now that I've got that out, what are some other ideas for this deck? Here is a list I've been thinking about similar to yours:

Post-Rotation Gardevoir GX-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 19

* 4 Ralts BUS 91
* 4 Gardevoir-GX BUS 93
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 2 Kirlia BUS 92
* 2 Eevee SUM 101
* 2 Sylveon GX GRI 92
* 1 Alolan Vulpix SUM 21
* 1 Oranguru SUM 113

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 2 Judge FBL 108
* 1 Lillie SUM 122
* 3 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 2 Switch SUM 132
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Rare Candy PLB 85
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Max Potion BKP 103
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 2 Diantha FBL 105

##Energy - 11

* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136
* 7 Fairy Energy 9

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Card Choices-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Oranguru (SUM): So, instead of N, I believe people will start to play Judge as a disruption supporter. This poses a problem for this deck considering Sylveon GX is your way of accelerating evolutions. In order to combat this (however minor it may sound), Oranguru gives you an out to a potentially bad hand (as long as you can play a couple of cards first of course). Just a safety precaution really.

2 Judge (FBL): This is my replacement for N, and while I would like a third, I could really on find room for two. I would highly suggest finding room for another and since you play an Oranguru yourself, you shouldn't worry about drawing into a bad hand (too often at least).

1 Lillie (SUM)/Nest Ball (SUM): As I was saying earlier, this is your way of accelerating basics and drawing cards for the next turn (it also increases your chances of getting the Switch/Sylveon GX combo). I personally believe it is better than playing Pokemon Fan Club, so I would highly suggest it to you as a replacement.

1 Max Potion (GRI): I'd play just one since you can Diantha for it later if needed, but having the option to heal is always nice. I wouldn't go above two just because space is so tight at the moment, but one should perform well in this deck.

Potential Techs-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Pal Pad (ULP): This card would greatly help with recycling supporters for late game, especially Diantha and Guzma which are your more technical supporters. I wouldn't go above one, but it would be hard to find room for just a single copy in the first place. Something to keep in mind I suppose.

(This is really the only potential tech I could think of off-hand, but I would keep an eye out for cards in the upcoming sets to help out in the next format; another Fairy Energy could be a "potential tech", though it really isn't a tech)

Conclusion-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would just like to mention that post-rotation, the whole format will be even more heavily reliant on consistency, so I'm not sure about playing as many techs in this deck (especially since it is a Stage 2 based deck). That is just my opinion though, one tech such as Tapu Lele (ULP) wouldn't hurt the deck I suppose, but I wouldn't go above one tech. Anyways, let me know what you think and if you have any thoughts or comments on it and I'll let you know if I have any more ideas as well!

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12

Hey @FrostBiter12

Thanks for the feedback and bringing KicaBulu to light. When I was flipping through my binder to rebuild my Gardevoir GX deck, I also questioned whether or not I wanted the Nest Ball & Lillie set up. I used to run the Nest Ball set up when I played Ho-oh/Turtonator/Salazzle for a while. I have a few concerns with that set up personally.

1. Lillie is a brick card if you don't get her turn 1 and is substantially less useful than Cynthia.
2. Nest Ball is not searchable like Pokemon Fan Club and relies completely on having Sylveon GX set up if you want to guarantee the copies.
3. Nest Ball drops directly onto the bench which denies any on play effects, something that you can do with Pokemon Fan Club.

And before I comment any further, I just want to point out that you have a copy of Super Rod in your list which is going away post rotation. I don't believe Super Rod has been reprinted in any SuMo expansion. I would definitely turn that Super Rod into an 8th Fairy Energy. I've tried playing Gardy with less than 8 Fairy and I never have a good time.

My problem with Judge is that I don't think it's a good disruption card when it disrupts you just as much. Judge is only somewhat good if you can play your hand to 3 or less cards so that you can actually net a +1 or more to hand advantage, and it also relies on your opponent sitting on 5+ cards at the same time. N was an incredibly simple way to punish a KO by denying immediate prize advantage, but Judge can't be played with as much versatility since it hits you just as hard. Especially in a stage 2 deck where you're looking for Rare Candy, supporters, energy, and the Stage 2 Pokemon itself, you've got to be playing with a real high rolling mentality to have Judge work out for you.

As far as techs are concerned, the way I think of it is as long as I'm not sacrificing core cards while adding techs, it ultimately has no affect on consistency and just adds versatility. I'm still running a full 4/2/4 Gardevoir line and not, say, a 4/1/3 to add techs. Everything that needs to be there is there. I've also never been a fan of Oranguru since its "hand fixing" ability doesn't really do that - it only helps you draw cards when you're already playing well, not when you're drawing poorly. It is a more energy efficient solution to handling things like Alolan Ninetales and Hoopa though since you can do a DCE and a fairy instead of having to invest 3 fairy into a Xerneas. Of my tech options, Xerneas is the one I'd be most okay with getting rid of for something like a Max Potion, a 2nd Alolan Vulpix, or a 3rd Switch. The honest truth is that Tapu Lele's Magical Swap attack should be more than enough to KO anti-GX Pokemon since in most situations people will have other Pokemon in play that you can target instead.

Ultimately I agree with you that post rotation, at least until more cards are released, it will be more about consistency than anything else. It's part of the reason why I think Fairy type has a particular advantage with Sylveon GX guaranteeing you 3 cards on your next turn while keeping your supporter for the turn available, unlike decks that may plan on using Steven. Your opponent playing Judge on you is, in my opinion, even more advantageous because even if you're stuck with a bricked 4 card hand, you can just Magical Ribbon again to fix it and not have to worry about there being 4 copies of it to continously keep you down. Hand fixers like Cynthia and Steven take the same spot as the Judge someone would play to disrupt you, so unless they have Zoroark GX set up, they have no means to fix their own hand when they go for the Judge. There's a lot more risk and a lot less reward involved with the card in general, enough so that I don't see myself using it in a Gardevoir GX focused list.

Hey @FrostBiter12

Thanks for the feedback and bringing KicaBulu to light. When I was flipping through my binder to rebuild my Gardevoir GX deck, I also questioned whether or not I wanted the Nest Ball & Lillie set up. I used to run the Nest Ball set up when I played Ho-oh/Turtonator/Salazzle for a while. I have a few concerns with that set up personally.

1. Lillie is a brick card if you don't get her turn 1 and is substantially less useful than Cynthia.
2. Nest Ball is not searchable like Pokemon Fan Club and relies completely on having Sylveon GX set up if you want to guarantee the copies.
3. Nest Ball drops directly onto the bench which denies any on play effects, something that you can do with Pokemon Fan Club.

And before I comment any further, I just want to point out that you have a copy of Super Rod in your list which is going away post rotation. I don't believe Super Rod has been reprinted in any SuMo expansion. I would definitely turn that Super Rod into an 8th Fairy Energy. I've tried playing Gardy with less than 8 Fairy and I never have a good time.

My problem with Judge is that I don't think it's a good disruption card when it disrupts you just as much. Judge is only somewhat good if you can play your hand to 3 or less cards so that you can actually net a +1 or more to hand advantage, and it also relies on your opponent sitting on 5+ cards at the same time. N was an incredibly simple way to punish a KO by denying immediate prize advantage, but Judge can't be played with as much versatility since it hits you just as hard. Especially in a stage 2 deck where you're looking for Rare Candy, supporters, energy, and the Stage 2 Pokemon itself, you've got to be playing with a real high rolling mentality to have Judge work out for you.

As far as techs are concerned, the way I think of it is as long as I'm not sacrificing core cards while adding techs, it ultimately has no affect on consistency and just adds versatility. I'm still running a full 4/2/4 Gardevoir line and not, say, a 4/1/3 to add techs. Everything that needs to be there is there. I've also never been a fan of Oranguru since its "hand fixing" ability doesn't really do that - it only helps you draw cards when you're already playing well, not when you're drawing poorly. It is a more energy efficient solution to handling things like Alolan Ninetales and Hoopa though since you can do a DCE and a fairy instead of having to invest 3 fairy into a Xerneas. Of my tech options, Xerneas is the one I'd be most okay with getting rid of for something like a Max Potion, a 2nd Alolan Vulpix, or a 3rd Switch. The honest truth is that Tapu Lele's Magical Swap attack should be more than enough to KO anti-GX Pokemon since in most situations people will have other Pokemon in play that you can target instead.

Ultimately I agree with you that post rotation, at least until more cards are released, it will be more about consistency than anything else. It's part of the reason why I think Fairy type has a particular advantage with Sylveon GX guaranteeing you 3 cards on your next turn while keeping your supporter for the turn available, unlike decks that may plan on using Steven. Your opponent playing Judge on you is, in my opinion, even more advantageous because even if you're stuck with a bricked 4 card hand, you can just Magical Ribbon again to fix it and not have to worry about there being 4 copies of it to continously keep you down. Hand fixers like Cynthia and Steven take the same spot as the Judge someone would play to disrupt you, so unless they have Zoroark GX set up, they have no means to fix their own hand when they go for the Judge. There's a lot more risk and a lot less reward involved with the card in general, enough so that I don't see myself using it in a Gardevoir GX focused list.

Good points! Let me see if I can re-explain a few of mine.

1. While you are correct that Lillie isn't as effective after turn one, I can really say the same for Pokemon Fan Club. While Pokemon Fan Club still has the same effect as it did during turn one, if you miss it turn one, it is almost just as effective as Lillie is afterwards. Pokemon Fan Club is slightly better in this matter, but I would think Lillie is way more beneficial than Pokemon Fan Club is in the majority of games (if you want, you can play a second Lillie to make sure you don't prize it, but the second copy is a dead card most of the time).

2. While Nest Ball isn't searchable, playing three copies of it and four copies of Ralts should get you at least two Ralts and one Eevee out on the field. What makes it even better is if you combine that with Lillie to draw an even bigger amount of cards (which is far more effective at getting the Sylveon GX/Switch combo out early game than Pokemon Fan Club is).

3. I personally don't think that this part matters at the moment (unless a card similar to Shaymin EX (ROS) is released) since the only play-on effects you can use is Tapu Lele GX, and Pokemon Fan Club is already your supporter for the turn. Being an Item card also gives Nest Ball the advantage in this matter, since you can still use a draw supporter (even if it isn't Lillie) afterwards (which Pokemon Fan Club doesn't allow you to do).

As for Super Rod, I can't believe I forgot about it rotating! I guess I'm so used to it that I can't bear to see it go ;). Anyways, this actually works out since as you mentioned, we can up the Fairy Energy count to eight. Once again, thanks for pointing that out!

I agree with you, but I'm not looking for a card that is just as good as N (which there really isn't). I'm just looking for a card that has a similar effect for one reason. One, as this deck is doing, it is taking advantage of not having N in the format to mess with Sylveon GX. I also expect a lot of players to take on this Nest Ball/Lillie combination after rotation, so a Judge after turn one definitely disrupts them (and imagine a turn 1 Judge as well; that is definitely disruptive I would think). The only times I would use Judge are really after my opponent uses effects such as Lillie, Sylveon GX, and the upcoming Steven's Decision supporter, so I will most likely have used my own support (like Sylveon GX) to grab at least one Rare Candy combo. In other words. Judge should only be used if you have setup or have a way out of it (like Sylveon GX).

I agree with you, your not sacrificing core cards for the evolution lines, but that isn't the reason I suggested to lower to tech counts. The reason I did is because it actually does effect consistency, and here is my reason why. Imagine your opponent uses Judge. In order to get out of it, you would need to draw into a supporter. Instead, the multitude of tech cards get in your way and you draw into them instead of the supporter. In other words, the more techs you play, the more cards that stand in between you and the card you actually need. Are the techs worth playing over a card that increases consistency for the reason? If they are, then you should play them, but I suggest you evaluate each card carefully with this in mind. For this reason, I also am debating the uses of Zoroark GX and its drawbacks and advantages. You are really just replacing Octillery in the deck with Zoroark GX, so that doesn't sound bad. I would suggest though that you chose between the techs and Zoroark GX because I don't think the deck can handle both.

I like what you mentioned in the last paragraph, and I agree with you as well. If you are playing Judge though, then you can use it against opponent's who don't have Sylveon GX to depend upon (for the reasons mentioned above). The main target for Judge would be opposing Steven's Decision and Lillie plays, which the majority of decks will probably take advantage of (unlike Sylveon GX which is limited to Fairy types). I'm beginning to wonder how the format is going to be without the speed of Buzzwole GX because it won't be able to punish Sylveon GX anymore with an N/threaten-K.O.-next-turn play, especially since Judge hurts the user as well (as you were mentioning). Things to think about I suppose, but I'm sure that as we get closer and closer to rotation, we'l also get a better idea of how things will change.

In the mean time, here are the revisions to my list.

-1 Super Rod
+1 Fairy Energy

(Still debating the 2-2 Zoroark GX line, but I'm beginning to like it I suppose; I'll have to keep an eye on things as we move closer and closer to rotation)

Whether or not Judge is worth playing will remain to be seen, I personally still think it is a little early to be predicting what post-rotation will be like (which I know contradicts everything I just mentioned, but still). It will be interesting to see what shifts will occur in the format (and to see a change from Zoroark GX, Garbodor, and Buzzwole GX). Let me know what you think, thanks!

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12

With Sylveon and no N, I would drop the Vulpix and the second Kirlia. And probably play another Diantha. I actually think Wicke is really good here. When you build up a hand size and you're only drawing clunk, the draw power between Zoroark and an early game Sylveon will quickly make Wicke useful.

I know how bad the card is right now, but without much else as options, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Fan Club is a necessity and don't forget that Zoro discards cards, so discarding the extra copy doesn't hurt. Playing 3 is probably a good idea so you can grab it ASAP, and having easy discard fodder.

Zoroark is going to be played a LOT in decks after rotation. Without Sycamore, why wouldn't you play a Bulky stage 1 with an amazing draw ability that does good damage for cheap? A 2-2 line fits into literally every deck when you take Sycamore out of the picture.

An important thing to note is that Acro Bike is getting reprinted, so if you wanted, you could drop Sylveon or Zoro for 4, but I'll leave testing to that.

Consistency as a whole is going to be trouble when rotation hits, so playing max Diantha will help the setup a lot. Grabbing puzzle pieces to getting Gardys out is great, and when there's not much else in terms of supporters to play, it's an option to keep in mind.

Always a pleasure having a discussion with you @FrostBiter12

I definitely can't say that there's anything "wrong" about your points. We definitely are approaching the same deck building issue from 2 different perspectives, likely from the turnouts of our own experiences and the experiences of others, which is totally okay. I do believe that having a deck that is personal to you is more important than simply copy/pasting a tournament winning deck and trying to make it work for you, so deck differences like these are always appreciated.

However, I still don't quite agree with you on the topic of tech cards. If I have 4 Cynthias in a 40 card deck remaining when I get judged, and I am very specifically looking for a Cynthia in my hand, whether or not I have 36 tech cards or 36 non-tech cards doesn't influence the fact that Cynthia is still a 4 in 40 chance. Just like how I'm not sacrificing my core Pokemon lines, I'm not reducing the count of genuinely consistent cards like Cynthia, Ultra Ball, or Rare Candy either. The only genuine issue with teching in my opinion is the possibility of opening the game with your tech cards instead of your core cards, and in that sense, I would not object to opening the game with Xerneas and searching for a supporter card turn 2 if I had no better plays. Tapu Lele is in my opinion the best tech card, but also the worst opener that I never want to see in my active on T1.

I guess this also takes me to another issue I have with the Nest Ball/Lillie set up - it eats up a lot more deck space to play 1 Lillie and 3 Nest Balls than to simply play 2 Pokemon Fan Clubs.

With Sylveon and no N, I would drop the Vulpix and the second Kirlia. And probably play another Diantha. I actually think Wicke is really good here. When you build up a hand size and you're only drawing clunk, the draw power between Zoroark and an early game Sylveon will quickly make Wicke useful.

I know how bad the card is right now, but without much else as options, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Fan Club is a necessity and don't forget that Zoro discards cards, so discarding the extra copy doesn't hurt. Playing 3 is probably a good idea so you can grab it ASAP, and having easy discard fodder.

Zoroark is going to be played a LOT in decks after rotation. Without Sycamore, why wouldn't you play a Bulky stage 1 with an amazing draw ability that does good damage for cheap? A 2-2 line fits into literally every deck when you take Sycamore out of the picture.

An important thing to note is that Acro Bike is getting reprinted, so if you wanted, you could drop Sylveon or Zoro for 4, but I'll leave testing to that.

Consistency as a whole is going to be trouble when rotation hits, so playing max Diantha will help the setup a lot. Grabbing puzzle pieces to getting Gardys out is great, and when there's not much else in terms of supporters to play, it's an option to keep in mind.

I hard disagree with the 3rd copy of Diantha, personally. A 3rd copy while sacrificing something like Alolan Vulpix or Kirlia leads to more opening hand bricks, and since we play a 6 prize game, you will never realistically play more than 2 Dianthas ever in a single game with Gardy GX. You would be relying on them to KO your Ralts or Kirlia or tech cards like Xerneas multiple times to generate the opportunity to play 3 Dianthas within the 6 prize pool. The most common situation, in my opinion, is that you will be losing 2 Gardevoir GX and a Tapu Lele GX/Sylveon GX/Zoroark GX whenever you lose a game with Gardy GX, and you won't have a turn to play the 3rd Diantha once you're out of prize cards. Now, just like how I don't play 3 Tapu Lele GX to realistically play 3 of them on the bench in a game, I know you aren't saying that you should play 3 Diantha to actually play 3 of them. I just think the opportunity to brick is too high, just like playing more than 2 copies of Mallow back when Octillery+Mallow was a combo. A card like Tapu Lele GX rarely leads to a brick whereas a 3rd copy of Diantha can much more easily.

On the flip side, I am considering killing one of my tech cards for a 3rd Pokemon Fan Club to make T1 more consistent. Or perhaps I could go for the best of both worlds and remove a tech card for Lillie so I can have a strong opening hand when the conditions are correct. A lot to consider here, really.

Small update,

I have updated the list in the original post with the following:

-1 Xerneas CRI
+1 Lillie

After thinking about FrostBiter's post a little more, I asked myself "what card could be more effective when used in the correct situation - Xerneas, or Lillie?" Once I asked that question it was a pretty simple solution. The opportunity to just hard draw 4+ cards on Turn 1 with Lillie is actually amazing and should not be underestimated in a deck that really needs to open well.

I don't think I'll ever be adding Nest Balls to the list because having Pokemon Fan Club search out a Tapu Lele GX with something else for you to continuously have guaranteed access to supporters is something that I think is very valuable now that the number of supporters per deck has dropped by a sizeable amount, and the odds of seeing a draw supporter in hand are literally halved now. If I reduce Pokemon Fan Club, I would increase Alolan Vulpix counts to a max of 2.

Always a pleasure having a discussion with you @FrostBiter12

I definitely can't say that there's anything "wrong" about your points. We definitely are approaching the same deck building issue from 2 different perspectives, likely from the turnouts of our own experiences and the experiences of others, which is totally okay. I do believe that having a deck that is personal to you is more important than simply copy/pasting a tournament winning deck and trying to make it work for you, so deck differences like these are always appreciated.

However, I still don't quite agree with you on the topic of tech cards. If I have 4 Cynthias in a 40 card deck remaining when I get judged, and I am very specifically looking for a Cynthia in my hand, whether or not I have 36 tech cards or 36 non-tech cards doesn't influence the fact that Cynthia is still a 4 in 40 chance. Just like how I'm not sacrificing my core Pokemon lines, I'm not reducing the count of genuinely consistent cards like Cynthia, Ultra Ball, or Rare Candy either. The only genuine issue with teching in my opinion is the possibility of opening the game with your tech cards instead of your core cards, and in that sense, I would not object to opening the game with Xerneas and searching for a supporter card turn 2 if I had no better plays. Tapu Lele is in my opinion the best tech card, but also the worst opener that I never want to see in my active on T1.

I guess this also takes me to another issue I have with the Nest Ball/Lillie set up - it eats up a lot more deck space to play 1 Lillie and 3 Nest Balls than to simply play 2 Pokemon Fan Clubs.

I enjoy discussing these things with you as well @Duo!

I agree, each person has their own way of deck building, so it is always good to swap techniques and compare strategies. Personally, I prefer to not copy/paste decklists as much as possible just because I feel that I've done nothing when it comes to deck building if I do. The Nest Ball/Lillie idea is something I like though, so I've been trying to implement that in as many post-rotation decks as possible with my own deck building techniques thrown in (similar to how Wonder Tag/Brigette is in the current Standard format alongside each competitors playstyle/deck building technique).

While you do have a point with the four Cynthia argument, the reason I believe it messes with consistency comes from two ideas. One, if the tech card isn't something you can use in every matchup or don't have an easy way of discarding it, then you will consistently shuffle it back into the deck and draw back into once more (by this, I mean that if you shuffled your deck and drew four cards after a Judge, the fifth card could be a draw supporter. If you drew into that tech, then it is a card that gets in between you and the draw supporter, though it doesn't affect the amount of draw supporters you play). The second point brings up the question of what cards would you play instead of the tech card? If it is a draw supporter (like Copycat, which I'm pretty sure will be Standard legal in this time period; should've mentioned it earlier), then it would affect how often you draw into a draw supporter in general (whether it is Cynthia or not). This only comes into play if you intend to replace a tech with a draw supporter, but that is your choice. You also mentioned the last point I was going to state about starting with techs, so I will not go over that here.

You do have a point, and that is why I've been trying to cut as many techs a possible. The choice is whether or not you feel that Lillie/Nest Ball combo is more valuable then the techs you were playing (like Xerneas and Tapu Lele). It would be a lot easier to play two Pokémon Fan Club, I agree, but I feel that the benefit the Lillie/Nest Ball combo provides gives you a whole lot more (and this is where the personal deck experience factor comes in, so this is just my opinion).

Anyways, let me know what you think whenever you get the chance!

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12

I enjoy discussing these things with you as well @Duo!

I agree, each person has their own way of deck building, so it is always good to swap techniques and compare strategies. Personally, I prefer to not copy/paste decklists as much as possible just because I feel that I've done nothing when it comes to deck building if I do. The Nest Ball/Lillie idea is something I like though, so I've been trying to implement that in as many post-rotation decks as possible with my own deck building techniques thrown in (similar to how Wonder Tag/Brigette is in the current Standard format alongside each competitors playstyle/deck building technique).

While you do have a point with the four Cynthia argument, the reason I believe it messes with consistency comes from two ideas. One, if the tech card isn't something you can use in every matchup or don't have an easy way of discarding it, then you will consistently shuffle it back into the deck and draw back into once more (by this, I mean that if you shuffled your deck and drew four cards after a Judge, the fifth card could be a draw supporter. If you drew into that tech, then it is a card that gets in between you and the draw supporter, though it doesn't affect the amount of draw supporters you play). The second point brings up the question of what cards would you play instead of the tech card? If it is a draw supporter (like Copycat, which I'm pretty sure will be Standard legal in this time period; should've mentioned it earlier), then it would affect how often you draw into a draw supporter in general (whether it is Cynthia or not). This only comes into play if you intend to replace a tech with a draw supporter, but that is your choice. You also mentioned the last point I was going to state about starting with techs, so I will not go over that here.

You do have a point, and that is why I've been trying to cut as many techs a possible. The choice is whether or not you feel that Lillie/Nest Ball combo is more valuable then the techs you were playing (like Xerneas and Tapu Lele). It would be a lot easier to play two Pokémon Fan Club, I agree, but I feel that the benefit the Lillie/Nest Ball combo provides gives you a whole lot more (and this is where the personal deck experience factor comes in, so this is just my opinion).

Anyways, let me know what you think whenever you get the chance!

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12

As you may have seen from my recent adjustment, I have started taking a liking to the concept of Lillie, but I'm still not 100% convinced on the power of Nest Ball for reasons I listed in my previous post. I think Fan Clubbing for a Lele GX for a guaranteed supporter next turn has far too much value post rotation.

I can see where you're coming from with the counterargument on techs. I mean, quite frankly if you play more techs they're just going to start filling up your hand whether you want them or not. I'm no math expert in terms of calculated the actual statistics of pull rate probability, but I have played somewhat tech heavy decks before and have experienced the woes of poorly timed tech draws.

Decklist Update:

-1 Tapu Lele (Fairy)
-1 Field Blower

+1 Diancie
+1 Switch

Explanations:

Tapu Lele (Fairy) - Magical Swap is far better suited for a deck that can deal spread damage and reorganize that damage later. Gardevoir GX/Sylveon GX is all about single target OHKO/2HKOs. It doesn't match the deck function.

Field Blower - I don't think this card matters enough to hurt the consistency of the deck. If I need to get rid of Choice Band, just KO the Pokemon who has it. If my set up is more consistent, I have better odds of doing that. 1 Field Blower isn't going to be able to stop decks that run 4 Stadiums anyway. Instead of forcing stadium interaction into this deck, I'd rather just openly admit that one of this deck's weaknesses is that it focuses completely on itself and its set up and doesn't have much room to dance with stadiums. Whether or not this is a genuine problem will be determined by how strong Stadiums will get post rotation. Brooklet Hill, Altar of the Moone, and Commandment Shrine are looking some of the best stadiums immediately after post rotation.

-----

Diancie - This is the Diancie that evolves from deck with Sparkling Wish. I think this is a necessary card due to the anticipation of Judge and Copycat being widely played post rotation. Judge can still interupt Alolan Vulpix and Sylveon GX, and Copycat can be used to profit off of the increased hand size at the end of turn. Diancie doesn't craft your hand state to be advantageous for your opponent to use either Judge or Copycat while progressing your board state. Great utility.

Switch (3rd copy) - Since this deck relies on attacks to get set up (Beacon, Magical Ribbon, Sparkling Wish), you want to increase your odds of having the right active Pokemon you need at the right time. Consistency has even more value post rotation.

Apologies if people are tired of me bumping these lists, but I like to keep them updated and allow people the opportunity to see my changes and jump in on discussion as well.

Right now I am highly debating the following change:

-1 Steven's Decision

+1 Alolan Vulpix

OR

+1 Lady

Steven's Decision only serves 1 purpose in this deck - the ability to search out 3 cards without having to have Sylveon GX in your active. At the same time, as a deck that has "infinite" Steven's Decisions in the form of Magical Ribbon while running 3 copies of Switch and 3 copies of Guzma, I feel like Steven's Decision is an unnecessary card. You almost always want to set up a Sylveon GX because Plea GX and Fairy Wind are both quite viable and can put in a lot of work. Fairy Wind can put down a lot of early game pressure since Energy Evolution -> Magical Ribbon on Turn 1 to search DCE guarantees a Turn 2 attack for 110/140 if no Judge.

A second Alolan Vulpix is under consideration because this is a stage 2 deck. You HAVE to get going by no later than turn 3 otherwise you are pretty much screwed. Playing extra copies of Pokemon Fan Club doesn't feel like the right call because you can't get that much mileage out of it and they consume your supporter for the turn which slows down your overall momentum - the main use of it is to Fan Club for an Alolan Vulpix and something else, then Beacon for 2 more Pokemon, but if you can start Alolan Vulpix, you can skip this step and play Lillie/Cynthia.

As an aside, I think 1 copy of the Diancie is still important because if you have a decent starting line up that Pokemon Fan Club can top off, Diancie gives you more speed and consistency than most Stage 2 decks have access to, which is why I'm not considering just replacing the Diancie with Alolan Vulpix.

I have also somewhat hovered on the idea of playing Lady in this deck instead of Steven's Decision to pull out 4 Fairy Energies for Energy Evolution and Secret Spring. It also gives you incredible follow up to a Twilight GX shuffling energy back into the deck. Having played Gardevoir GX a decent amount when it was considered BDIF, I think Gardevoir GX has two set up stages - Pokemon set up, then Energy set up. Setting up your Pokemon is fine and dandy, but if you don't get the energy you need then your Gardevoir GXs are just sitting ducks. Playing Lady with 2 Gardevoir GX set up allows you to Secret Spring twice and attach for turn while having a 4th guaranteed energy to make sure you can attach for turn next turn as well. Lady seems like the perfect supporter to use when you're done using Magical Ribbon for set up and you're ready to go full aggro with your Gardevoir GXs.

I'm trying to weigh the value of consistency in having more than 1 Alolan Vulpix versus having a supporter that prevents Gardevoir GX from bricking on its own ability once set up. It's a tough call for me at the moment.

Hey everyone. Been taking a long hiatus from PTCG due to some personal reasons, but I'm looking to get back into the card game and hopefully stay in it once the next rotation comes around since I won't have much time to play until then.

That being said, I've been sort of lurking all the set releases and wanted to start by rebuilding Gardevoir GX for post rotation as it's one of the few decks I understand right now. Feel free to make suggestions to the list or ask me if I've considered certain cards, because I know for certain I haven't caught wind of absolutely everything that's been going on the in the last half year or so.

Pokemon x23

Gardevoir GX x4
Kirlia x2
Ralts x4
Sylveon GX x2
Eevee x2 (Energy Evolution)
Zoroark GX x2
Zorua x2
Tapu Lele GX x3
Alolan Vulpix x1 (Beacon)
Diancie x1

Supporter x12

Cynthia x4
Guzma x3
Diantha x2
Pokemon Fan Club x1
Lillie x1
Steven's Decision x1

Item x13

Ultra Ball x4
Rare Candy x4
Switch x3
Choice Band x2

Energy x12

DCE x4
Fairy Energy x8

Let me run through some reasoning here.

4-2-4 Gardy line up - With Gallade rotating out, the least we can do is max out on Gardevoir GX to max out on secret spring. In some ways, no Gallade makes Diantha a slightly more playable supporter post rotation, so I'm not really hurting here. Gardevoir GX should not struggle to down Zoroark GX's anyway, so Gallade is not really necessary.

2-2 Sylveon GX line up - With N rotating out, you have absolutely no reason to not run 2-2 Sylveon GX, especially since Dusk Mane Necrozma GX/Magnezone is a thing (though it might be less of a thing with Professor's letter rotating out), and the new Solgaleo GX is on the way. People are forced to play Judge in order to disrupt hands now, and I highly doubt anyone is going to be playing more than 2 copies of it in their deck unless they're specifically playing disrupt.

2-2 Zoroark GX line up - Cynthia is currently the only decent draw supporter we know we'll have post rotation, so instead of 4 N 4 Sycamore, 4 Cynthia, 2-2 Zoroark GX is naturally the best replacement we have for our loss of draw power. As good as Sylveon GX's searching is, you still want access to draw power abilities so that you aren't forced to Magical Ribbon for hand advantage and can push damage instead while using Trade. Diantha also makes the discard cost of Zoroark GX's draw power not hurt nearly as much.

Tapu Lele GX - If there's anywhere I would cut cards to make space, I think it's here. 3 Tapu Lele GX is always my standard because I prioritize consistency over all else when deck building, but if dropping 1 for a deck changing card needs to happen, it can happen. Tapu Lele GX should be self explanatory at this point.

Alolan Vulpix - I almost wanted two copies of this, but I don't think it's necessary. Just like with Sylveon GX, with N rotating out, there's 0 reason to not play Alolan Vulpix, and there's almost no reason to choose the fairy type Diancie over this now. With Float Stone rotating out, getting Diancie into the active with energy is a bit harder and has late game reperccusions. You would rather Alolan Vulpix for Sylveon GX/Zoroark GX if you miss energy evolution and have bench set up, and Alolan Vulpix for Gardevoir GX if you have rare candy in hand for turn 2/turn 3 Gardevoir GX.

Xerneas (CRI) - Without Gallade, Gardevoir GX lost the ability to deal with things like Hoopa and baby Alolan Ninetales. Now that Alolan Vulpix became even more useful with N rotating out, I expect to see more Alolan Ninetales after rotation as well. The 130 on bright horn will see you through any of those anti GX walls, and you also should not underestimate Xerneas' Lead attack to search out supporters. Now that Glaceon GX is a thing and N is out of the format, the ability to search out supporters without Tapu Lele GX now has value. This move is made even more effective with Diantha since you can punish your opponent for a KO if they go after your fairy Pokemon when you Lead for a Diantha.

While good in concept, I don't think this is potent enough to deserve a spot. Why use Lead when you can just use Alolan Vulpix to search out a Pokemon and a Tapu Lele GX to search a supporter next turn anyway? The 130 damage on bright horn is fine, but Tapu Lele and Guzma should be enough damage to handle anti-GX situations.

Tapu Lele - This gives you a 1 prize incredibly powerful option that makes you not have to worry so much about guaranteeing OHKOs with 6+ energy on Gardevoir GX and taking massive losses on revenge KOs. Your energy game becomes much more efficient, and Secret Spring can activate Tapu Lele in a single turn. This is a mandatory tech in Gardevoir GX, IMO. You can just swing for 120/150 damage on Gardevoir GX per turn, and when the time comes just Magical Swap for 4+ prizes if your opponent isn't running Max Potion or any form of heal (Aka Prominence GX on New Solgaleo GX). Its first attack is also fantastic for revenge killing Gardevoir GXs or dealing big damage to Pokemon with high energy attacks.

This deck style just doesn't support Magical Swap at all. You're a deck focused on singling out targets one at a time and have absolutely no spread damage potential. Rolling a copy of Diancie to help with guaranteed evolution is a better choice to help with the deck's consistency, because Judge is very much a card that people can and will play to interupt Alolan Vulpix and Sylveon GX.

Cynthia x4 and Guzma x3 are self explanatory.

Diantha x2 - With Super Rod gone, we sort of lose energy recovery with Gardevoir GX. Diantha is the best option we have as a fairy deck to recover not only energy, but anything. This is an incredibly powerful punish play, but more than 2 I feel is clogging deck space since you can only play this after getting KO'd, and you can only lose 2 GX's before you lose the game. Any higher than 2 seems like wasted deck space to me.

Pokemon Fan Club x1 - Since Pokemon Fan Club doesn't send directly to the bench, you can now search out basic Pokemon with on play conditions as well, like Tapu Lele GX. This is a back up supporter for turn 1 going second when you would like access to your attack. Pokemon Fan Club for Alolan Vulpix, and have Alolan Vulpix attack to find you 2 more Pokemon.

Lillie x1 - In addition to Pokemon Fan Club x2, one copy of Lillie will increase your odds of having a very strong opening hand. Supporter cards are a bit on the smaller count now that N and Sycamore have rotated. Sometimes grabbing just Pokemon isn't enough and you can get yourself a ton of resources if you even play one or two cards. Simply playing Ultra Ball to discard 2 cards to play a Lele into Lillie is already a decent hand refresh. Thanks to FrostBiter12 for this one.

Steven's Decision x1 - This is a fantastic turn 1 going first card when you aren't allowed to attack for turn anyway. Between Lillie and this, you have options for your turn 1 play depending on what your hand looks like. I think 1 of Steven's Decision should be in most decks post rotation.

Ultra Ball x4 and Rare Candy x4 are self explanatory.

Choice Band x2 is there for the mirror match in particular, but also to save on energy. I don't think I ever want to go lower than 2.

Switch x2 is here so that you can actually get Sylveon GX into the active and use it early. With Float Stone gone, we lose the ability of free retreat pivots, but we can at least change. I am highly debating if I want to use Escape Board here instead, but since Gardevoir GX has mostly 2 retreat cost Pokemon, I don't want to be losing an energy on every retreat. We'll see though. This slot is easily interchangeable with 2 copies of Escape Board instead.

Field Blower x1 - even with Garbotoxin gone, Stadiums and especially Choice Band are still a threat. Only 1 copy is needed as Sylveon GX can search it out for you, and Diantha can regrab it from discard if you need more than 1. I'm debating if I can do without this card completely since I would rather run more Switch/Escape Board to make Turn 2 Magical Ribbon more consistent. It'll end up depending on how many decks actually need Choice Band to close the damage gap against Gardevoir GX.

I place really low value on the Field Blower. I know this deck doesn't have a stadium to work with stadium wars, but I really don't care when most Stadium plays post rotation, like Brooklet Hill and Altar of the Moone, benefit the opponent on their turn as opposed to actually influence you on yours like Parallel City did. They can have those statiums all they want. I would rather play a 3rd copy of Switch so that I have as much mobility as possible in determining who I want to be my opening active Pokemon and to make Guzma plays far more flexible.

Energy pool is standard. I don't want to run the prism star energy since having the necessary Stage 2 count in play is abyssmal.

All in all I think that Gardevoir GX is a very strong contender post rotation. You have the strongest search engine, incredible energy acceleration, Plea GX for bad match ups in an evironment with no Parallel City, and beautiful tech cards like Tapu Lele with resource recovery in the form of Diantha. As far as Tier 2 decks are concerned, I don't think there's any out there that are as consistent at setting up as Gardevoir GX, and even then Tier 2 decks are still a bit too slow right now. Post rotation might change that.

As always, feedback & discussion is very welcome.
Hey, I only have i lele GX. any ideas for a subsitute? I was thinking of using the new FL sylveon

If you only have one Lele, I would run 2 Nest Balls in place of the other 2 copies in order to optimize your set up phase.

As a Stage 2 + Stage 1 deck, doing everything you can to guarantee your set up is your first priority, IMO.

@osmyth You expressed interest in my Gardy list so here it is, and updated to the most recent changes.

Haven't touched this thread in a while but I have made a handful of changes to the list after playtesting around 30 or so games.

Pokemon x23

Gardevoir GX x3
Kirlia x2
Ralts x4
Sylveon GX x3
Eevee x4
Zoroark GX x2
Zorua x2
Tapu Lele GX x3

Supporter x12

Cynthia x4
Guzma x3
Diantha x2
Pokemon Fan Club x2
Lady x1

Item x13

Ultra Ball x4
Rare Candy x4
Switch x3
Choice Band x2

Energy x12

Fairy Energy x8

Alolan Vulpix and Diancie just really don't have much value in the presence of Sylveon GX (and the absence of N). Maximizing on Eevee and running 3 Sylveon GX makes it so that you have a very good chance of opening Magical Ribbon without needing to play Switch. One copy of Lady is here to make sure that you don't miss Turn 2/Turn 1 going second first opportunity to attack with Magical Ribbon as well as rapidly charging energy with Secret Spring, and two copies of Pokemon Fan Club are here to replace two copies of Brigette. When I get Sylveon GX in the active and Pokemon Fan Club, I can guarantee Sylveon GX, Gardevoir GX, and Zoroark GX in play on turn 2. Alolan Vulpix is also less effective because you want Diantha to be as playable as possible, and Sparkling Wish Diancie just has 0 value when N is no longer part of the game and Magical Ribbon does way more for the same energy cost.

I originally had 4 Gardevoir GX in the list, but I never find myself playing more than 2 at a time, and Diantha can help you recover any Gardevoir you might need. I dropped down to 3 Gardevoir GX in order to make sure that I can play 2 Pokemon Fan Club. This deck cannot afford to have a bad start, and Magical Ribbon can dig out your Gardevoir GX at any time, so you want to maximize your ability to reach Magical Ribbon in the first place.

So far this list has rarely failed me in terms of setting up and reaching the damage that I need. There's just way too much synergy between Gardevoir GX & Sylveon GX right now.

Last edited:
If you mean Magical Ribbon, then yes. I always need at least 1 Magical Ribbon per game, but since that attack happens no later than Turn 2 80% of the time, it's not a problem.

As far as using the 2nd attack is concerned, it's actually really good. I usually end up Magical Ribboning for a DCE so I can start swinging for 110 immediately. 110 is a guaranteed 2 hit KO on any stage 1 or basic right now and it can really apply strong pressure when your opponent is struggling to set up.

I do tend to give Sylveon GX an attacking role because that forces the opponent to have to take down Sylveon GX, which in turn gives you access to Diantha to search your discard pile for anything you need (like a rare candy + Gardevoir, or maybe recover 2 Cynthias from the discard pile instead), and while Sylveon GX is doing that, you have a Gardevoir GX on the bench building up to be a huge OHKO threat.

Otherwise, Gardevoir GX is supposed to be the main attacker.

Meant the second attack, but suppose it depends on 'ones' attacking style as you say.
Makes sense to load up Gardevoirs whilst Sylveon tries to block for a bit.

thought a lot about this deck in the last couple of days, and I started appreciate it at the extent that I wanted to build my own list, but approaching it from a different POV. My idea is to play sylveon with gardy, instead of gardy with sylveon. I know that many sylveon players tech a 1-0-1 line of gardy, in my list I want to tech a 2-0-2, that allows me to play the deck in 2 different ways, according to the match up. I could play it as a regular sylveon disruption deck, or I can play it as a gardy beatdown, that cleans the field after I got rid of my opponent's energies. The only problem is that post rotation I won't have puzzle and team flare grunt, which are fundamental cards. Any non-cluncky suggestion to replace them ?

Hello jo94.

Diantha is this deck's in-theme Puzzle of Time, It does use up your supporter for turn, but as a supporter it can be searched through Tapu Lele GX and does not need to be run at 4 copies to play 2 at a time. Diantha allows you to recover any 2 cards from the discard pile if a Fairy Pokemon was knocked out last turn.

Plumeria is the best replacement for Team Flare Grunt that we have access to. Discard 2 cards, then discard 1 energy from your opponent's Pokemon.

The discard 2 cards kind of hurts, but since Gardevoir GX has access to Twilight GX to reshuffle 10 cards in the discard back into the deck, if there's any deck that could survive the discard, it's a deck that runs Gardy.

I've also been thinking about cutting my Gardevoir line for other utilities. Specifically, getting rid of the 2 Kirlia for 1 copy of Necrozma GX and 1 copy of the Fairy Tapu Lele with Magical Swap. I've noticed with Magical Ribbon that I just simply skip the Kirlia step altogether, and with Diantha in the deck, I'm never afraid of getting de-evolution KO'd and being locked out since I can always recover rare candy.

Against Naganadel/Stakataka GX, Necrozma GX + Tapu Lele is a disgusting combo. Naganadel/Stakataka is likely going to have a board full of 5 or 6 GX Pokemon, and even with 4 Stakataka GX in play, you can put 360 damage counters on the field (GX attack is unaffected by resistance, 100 base - 40 from Stakataka = 60 damage x 6). Using Magical Swap allows you to move those 360 damage counters to KO 2 Stakataka GX at the same time, taking 4 prizes.

The most important part of this play is that it pushes Naganadel/Stakataka GX beyond the 3-4 prize range immediately, so that means no access to Beast Ring, and that means no immediate access to Stinger GX. It's just a matter of using a Gardevoir GX to OHKO a Naganadel GX to close out the game at that point.

Thanks to DCE and Secret Spring, this deck is capable of setting up a Necrozma GX attack on the same turn its put on the bench.

I don't know if I'd go all the way down to 2/0/2 Gardy, but I am thinking about 3/0/3 Gardy for a 2nd copy of Necrozma GX, because even without the Tapu Lele, Necrozma GX's GX attack can close the gap really hard to make Sylveon GX be good enough for clean up, or at least to make it so that Gardy needs less energy to finish as well.

The only issue with running more Necrozma GX is that it makes starting Sylveon GX more difficult since you can't just attach 1 energy and retreat, but replacing 2 Kirlia won't affect the odds that much. I'm also considering getting rid of the Lady since I just haven't needed her in playtesting yet. The concept is to guarantee the energy for Energy Evolution Eevee as well as give myself a big burst of energy for Gardevoir GX by utilizing Secret Spring, but it just doesn't really come up. I usually just Magical Ribbon for a big burst of energy and call it a day.

I am also considering playing Judge in this deck since you can just play it down, drop your opponent's hand to 4, then Magical Ribbon for the cards you need anyway.

This is what I'm looking at right now:

Pokemon x23

Gardevoir GX x3
Ralts x3
Sylveon GX x3
Eevee x4
Zoroark GX x2
Zorua x2
Tapu Lele GX x3
Necrozma GX x2
Tapu Lele x1

Supporter x13

Cynthia x4
Guzma x3
Diantha x2
Judge x2
Pokemon Fan Club x2

Item x12

Ultra Ball x4
Rare Candy x3
Switch x3
Choice Band x2

Energy x12

Fairy Energy x8

I like your idea and the strategy behind it, necrozma seems a nice tech to me. Anyway I was looking for pure consistency (I'm not a fan of high count of pokemon in a deck, i prefer item-focused ones). This is the list i came up with:

Pokemon x12

Gardevoir GX x2
Ralts x2
Sylveon GX x3
Eevee x4
Tapu Lele GX x1

Supporter x13

Cynthia x4
Guzma x2
Diantha x2
Judge x2
Plumeria x2
Gladion x1

Item x22

Ultra Ball x4
Nest Ball x3
Rare Candy x2
Crushing Hammer x3
Enhanced Hammer x3
Pal Pad x2
Choice Band x2
Counter Catcher x1
Switch x2

Energy x13

Fairy Energy x10
Double Colorless Energy x3

The idea is to maximize the odds of starting with eevee +fairy energy, than starting disrupting + setting another sylveon and a gardy with the help of magical ribbon. Finally, when youre opponent has low resources you start swiping with gardy or sylveon itself

Back