Ruling Rare Candy and Wally's Training - Read Before Asking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhorsen

Offically retired
Ok, basically noone reads the Compendium that has been posted up and there are continuous questions about Rare Candy and Wally's Training. If you have a question regarding Rare Candy or Wally's Training then please read ALL the ruled questions below from the Compendium.

If your question is not answered here then you are permitted to create a thread, but PLEASE do not create threads when your question is answered here!

RARE CANDY

Q. Could you Rare Candy a Pokémon and NOT play an evolution on it just to get rid of the Rare Candy?
A. No, you cannot discard a card for free. You must be able to attach the Stage 1 or Stage 2 card, or you cannot use the Rare Candy. (Oct 30, 2003 PUI Rules Team; Dec 4, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Rare Candy on the first turn of a game (when Pokémon are not normally allowed to evolve)?
A. Yes, this is now permissible. (Jul 22, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Rare Candy on a Pokémon's first turn in play? For example, can I place down a Wurmple and then use Rare Candy on the same turn to evolve it into Dustox or Beautifly?
A. Yes, Rare Candy allows you to evolve a Pokémon the first turn it is in play. (Sep 11, 2003 PUI Rules Team; Jul 22, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Rare Candy to place a Stage 2 onto a Basic Pokémon?
A. You can use Rare Candy to evolve a Basic Pokémon into a Stage 1 or Stage 2. This essentially counts as your "Evolution" for that Pokémon that turn, although it's not restricted by the first turn the Pokémon is in play. The Stage 1 reference is because the card works on the turn the Basic is played. (Sep 11, 2003 PUI Rules Team; Jul 22, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Rare Candy on a Pokémon that has already evolved normally that turn?
A. No you cannot, because Rare Candy can only evolve Basic Pokémon If you evolved a Pokémon already this turn, it would not be a Basic any more. (Oct 23, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Rare Candy on a Pokémon that was devolved on that same turn (i.e. Devolution Spray, Hyper Devolution Spray, etc.)?
A. Yes you can, because Rare Candy ignores normal evolutionary rules. (Jun 3, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Does Rare Candy override evolution-preventing effects such as Fossil Aerodactyl's "Prehistoric Power"?
A. Yes, you can use Rare Candy when Aerodactyl's Prehistoric Power is in play. (Sep 18, 2003 PUI Rules Team; Jul 22, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Say I use my Pichu's "Baby Evolution" power to evolve Pichu into Pikachu, which is now an "evolved Basic Pokémon". Can I then play Rare Candy on my Pikachu to evolve it into Raichu or Raichu-EX during the same turn?
A. Since Pikachu would be considered an "Evolved Pokémon" at that point, Rare Candy cannot be used on that Pikachu. Rare Candy can only be used on "non-Evolved" Pokémon. (Apr 14, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Say I have a Team Aqua's Sealeo (Stage 1) that I Archie'd into play. Can I use a Rare Candy to evolve it to Team Aqua's Walrein on that same turn?
A. Yes, you could. Rare Candy bypasses the normal rules of Evolution, and since you Archie'd it the Team Aqua's Sealeo would count as a Basic Pokémon. (Apr 14, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

Q. If you use Rare Candy to evolve a Pokémon, and the evo card has a "Coming into Play" Pokémon Power (such as Dark Crobat), does that coming into play power get activated?
A. Using Powers, Attacks, or Trainers that let you put a Pokémon in the game from your hand will allow coming into play Powers to activate. This is a reversal from previous rulings. (Oct 23, 2003 PUI Rules Team; Apr 14, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I play Rare Candy on a Basic Pokemon to evolve it into a Stage 1 even though that Pokemon could evolve that turn normally?
A. Yes, this is possible. (Jan 5, 2006 PUI Rules Team)

Q. What does "This counts as evolving that Pokémon" mean, in game terms?
A. It counts towards the one evolution per turn for that Pokémon (with exceptions for Trainers and Pokémon Powers that break that rule) and removes Special Conditions on that Pokémon. (Sep 26, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can you use Rare Candy to evolve a Mysterious Fossil into an Omastar or Kabutops, or use it on a Root/Claw Fossil to evolve into Cradily/Armaldo?
A. It can. It counts as a basic Pokémon while in play. Omastar, Kabutops, Cradily, and Armaldo are Stage 2 Pokémon; you could use Rare Candy on the Fossil trainer to skip to them. (Oct 16, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Rare Candy in conjunction with Buried Fossil to evolve into an Omastar, Kabutops, or Aerodactyl? And how about Aerodactyl-EX and Kabutops-EX too?
A. Rare Candy states if you have a card that "Evolves From" your Pokémon Buried Fossil has special text on it that says, "You may play a Pokémon card that evolves from Mysterious Fossil on top of Buried Fossil". So Rare Candy will work in all these cases. (Jan 29, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Rare Candy to evolve a Baby Pokémon into its next stage? What about the newer forms of babies that are considered "Basic Pokémon" but have the "Baby Evolution" Poké-POWER?
A. Rare Candy states if you have a card that "Evolves From" your Pokémon There are currently no cards with text saying "evolves from" its baby form, so Rare Candy will not work on any form of baby Pokémon (Oct 23, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Rare Candy to evolve Pichu into Raichu EX?
A. No, Rare Candy states if you have a card that "Evolves From" your Pokémon Pikachu does not say that it "Evolves From" Pichu, so Rare Candy will not work in this situation. (Sep 11, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Rare Candy on my Pokémon to go to their evolutions if either Kabutops or Omastar from Skyridge is in play (with the powers/bodies that stop evolution)?
A. You could not use a Pokémon's attack or play a Trainer card to evolve your Benched or Active Pokémon, unless the Evolution card you would be putting into play comes from somewhere other than your hand. So Rare Candy cannot be used, but Wally's Training can (when referring to the Active Pokémon). (Aug 5, 2004 PUI Rules Team; Aug 12, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. I evolved Torchic into Combusken using Rare Candy. Can I then do my "regular" evolution for Combusken into Blaziken?
A. No. "(This counts as evolving that Pokémon)" means that it counts as a normal evolution in this case. (Sep 26, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can someone play a Retro Energy on an Espeon, discard the Espeon, and then use Rare Candy to evolve the Eevee into a Vaporeon all in the same turn?
A. Since both cards break the standard rules of evolution, this particular combination can be considered legal. (Mar 18, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I evolve Dratini in play to Dark Dragonite by using Rare Candy?
A. Yes. [This is true as long as there is a normal evolutionary path between the basic and the Stage 2 "Dark" Pokémon.] (Feb 10, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

WALLY'S TRAINING

Q. Can I use Wally's Training on the first turn of a game (when Pokémon are not normally allowed to evolve)?
A. Yes, this is now permissible. (Jul 22, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Wally's Training on a Pokémon's first turn in play? For example, can I place down a Wurmple, make it active, and then use Wally's Training on the same turn to evolve it into Silcoon or Cascoon?
A.Yes, you may use Wally's Training to evolve a Pokémon the first turn it is in play. (Sep 11, 2003 PUI Rules Team; Jul 22, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Wally's Training on a Pokémon that has already evolved normally that turn?
A. Yes. Wally's Training can break the rules for normal evolution in that case. It also can allow a player to evolve a Pokémon the first turn it is in play, except for the very first turn of the game (for each player). In order for Wally's Training to break the "first turn of the game" evolution, the card would have to specifically say so. (Sep 26, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Wally's Training on a Pokémon I just evolved that turn with Rare Candy?
A. Yes. Trainer cards that allow an evolution to take place, breaks the standard evolution rule that states you can only evolve once in a turn. (Sep 26, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Wally's Training to place a Stage 2 onto a Basic Pokémon?
A. No. Wally's Training does not work on making your Basic Pokémon into a Stage 2. It just pulls the next stage from the deck and you evolve to that. (Sep 11, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Does Wally's Training override evolution-preventing effects such as Fossil Aerodactyl's "Prehistoric Power"?
A. You can use Wally's Training when Aerodactyl's Prehistoric Power is in play (except for the first turn of the game). (Sep 18, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. If you use Wally's Training to evolve a Pokémon, and the evo card has a "Coming into Play" Pokémon Power (such as Dark Crobat), does that coming into play power get activated?
A. No, because those powers only work "when you play it from your hand". Wally's Training has you search your deck for the card. (Oct 23, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Wally's Training to evolve a Baby Pokémon into its next stage? What about the newer forms of babies that are considered "Basic Pokémon" but have the "Baby Evolution" Poké-POWER?
A. Wally's Training states if you have a card that "Evolves From" your Pokémon There are currently no cards with text saying "evolves from" its baby form, so Wally's Training will not work on any form of baby Pokémon (Oct 23, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Wally's Training search for Pikachu when you have a Pichu active?
A. No, Wally's Training states to search for a card that "Evolves From" your active Pokémon Pikachu does not say that it "Evolves From" Pichu, so Wally's Training will not work in this situation. (Sep 11, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. I evolved Torchic into Combusken using Wally's Training. Can I then do my "regular" evolution for Combusken into Blaziken?
A. No. "(This counts as evolving that Pokémon)" means that it counts as a normal evolution in this case. (Sep 25, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Wally's Training on a Machoke to search through my deck, even if there are no Machamps in my deck?
A. Yes you can. Machamp is a valid evolution of Machoke, even if you don't have one in your deck. (Jan 22, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Wally's Training on a Mewtwo to search my deck, even though there is no evolution of Mewtwo?
A. No, there has to at least be the possibility of a valid evolution in order to use this card. Sorry. (Jan 22, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Wally's Training in conjunction with Buried Fossil to search for an Omanyte, Kabuto, or Aerodactyl? And how about Aerodactyl-EX too?
A. Wally's Training states to search for a card that "Evolves From" your active Pokémon Buried Fossil has special text on it that says, "You may play a Pokémon card that evolves from Mysterious Fossil on top of Buried Fossil". So Wally's Training will work in both of these situations. (Jan 29, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. What does "This counts as evolving that Pokémon" mean, in game terms?
A. It counts towards the one evolution per turn for that Pokémon (with exceptions for Trainers and Pokémon Powers that break that rule) and removes Special Conditions on that Pokémon. (Sep 26, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back