Ruling Priorities when returning Pokémon from the field

Skamhutt

Aspiring Trainer
Hello there!

I have a burning question and my research did not offer anything substantial. Perhaps my search was flawed, but I hope that someone here can answer my question or tell me where to find the answer.

Following issue:
I have a Pokémon equipped with a card that increases its health. That same Pokémon gains damage beyond its normal HP, but within the boundaries of the enhanced HP through the equipment.
I proceed to return that card from play to somewhere else.
What happens?

For instance:
I have Zapdos (ROS 23) with Fighting Fury Belt in play and it cumulates 150 damage, which normally would have knocked it out long ago, but due to the attached tool, it lives through the pain.
Then I play Cassius or AZ and return Zapdos to the deck or my hand.
In which order do things happen?

a) Is the tool discarded before Zapdos returns, hence Zapdos becomes knocked out, before succesfully escaping from the field?
b) Does Zapdos return before the attached cards are resolved and the damage is healed?
c) Something completely different.

Your help is highly appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance!

XY6_EN_23.png
XY9_EN_99.png
XY1_EN_115.png

I believe B happens. Since Zapdos is still Active, with the FFB increasing its HP, and you play a card that causes the Active Pokemon to be popped from your side of the field back into your Deck; all cards attached to it should go back into your Deck.

So, any Energies attached to Zapdos , and the FFB should go back into your Deck; and then it is shuffled.

checking for KO is always the last step of any action, in the example you give of playing cassius, zapdos and all cards attached to it are shuffled into the deck, after the effect of cassius is complete any other effects are checked and finally a check for KOs is done, zapdos is already gone by this point so no ko, the action is resolved so play continues (assuming zapdos wasn't your last poke in play)

Back