Help Post-Rotation Sylveon GX

Arc88

Aspiring Trainer
Hi Guys,

I play standard format casually with friends and I've just made a sylveon gx deck utilising cards like team rocket handiwork, team flare grunt, lysandre, etc.

My question is; will sylveon still be viable as a mill deck once the rotation for 2019 has come into force?

Thanks in advance for your pointers.

Arc

Probably not, at least not in Standard. Losing Team Flare Grunt, Puzzle of Time, and Parallel City is highly damaging to the deck. Plumeria exists, but the cost of paying it repeatedly and not running yourself out of resources is very tough. Lysandre Labs will probably become the Stadium of choice after losing Parallel City. Diantha will help a bit in getting your resources back, but sacrificing your Supporter for the turn to do so, as well as requiring a death on your side to use, makes it a little unreliable.

Other weaker cards that might get used are Eneporter (less useful now that Strong Energy is getting rotated, though chucking DCEs on random things is nice), Team Skull Grunt (not nearly as effective as Team Flare Grunt, but still powerful) and Peeking Red Card (combos well with Team Skull Grunt). Judge will be used as a replacement for N, which doesn't hurt Sylveon too much because of Magical Ribbon. While I'm mentioning shitty cards, I'll add Tormenting Spray, Cyrus Prism Star, and Mars.

It doesn't look like Celestial Storm is going to be bringing any new disruption cards to the table, so I think Sylveon's time in the spotlight is drawing to a close.

Likely not. All mill decks really need Flare Grunt and Puzzle, and Handiwork rotating too hurts more. Plumeria, Pal Pad and Lusamine exist, but sacrificing 2 cards for the effect doesn't help much. Sylveon can get away without Handiwork as far as I'm concerned because Fairy Wind is always an option, but not having a constant flow of Energy Discard will hurt.
Delinquent also rotates, so hand disruption almost isn't even an option, because I highly doubt people want to play Peeking Red Card.

Back