• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard [POST ROTATION] Land-Sharknado (Tera Garchomp ex V1)

AverageAvenger

Canadian Card Fox
Hi all, been far too long since I posted here. After taking a hiatus just before Tag Team era, I started playing again just around the time of 151. Gotta say, the feeling's never been more fun. After scraping together Miraidon for my local scene, I decided to bide my time after Paradox Rift, and stock up to be more prepared to go full force after rotation. At my local Temporal Forces prerelease, I traded some Arceus VSTARs I wasn't using for some Chomps, figured: "Hey, Chomp could be fun after rotation." and I got to work as soon as I got home.

Fun little story for how I got back into deckbuilding for myself aside, this is what I came up with.

Post Rotation Chomp.png

Pokemon - 17

4 Gible PAR 94
2 Gabite PAR 95
3 Garchomp ex PAR 38
1 Groudon PAR 93
1 Iron Hands ex PAR 70
1 Radiant Greninja ASR 46
1 Raging Bolt ex SV5K 53
2 Bidoof CRZ 111
2 Bibarel BRS 121

Trainers - 31

4 Irida ASR 147
2 Boss's Orders BRS 132
2 Iono PAL 185
2 Arven SVI 166
2 Trekking Shoes ASR 156
1 Switch HS 102
3 Friendship Poffin SV5K 63
2 Nest Ball SUM 123
4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
4 Rare Candy SVI 191
3 Earthen Vessel PAR 163
1 Technical Machine: Evolution PAR 178
1 Technical Machine: Devolution PAR 177

Energy - 12

9 Basic Fighting Energy SVE 6
2 Basic Lightning Energy SVE 4
1 Neo Upper Energy SV5K 71

The Idea

Garchomp's gameplan is pretty simple: Get Fighting Energy into the discard with relative speed, swing with Hydro Lander to explosively power up additional attackers, and follow up with more damaging hits. I went into this thinking about using BRS Lucario, but I felt like pulling from what I had already observed from the archetype before. Pretty quickly I decided I wanted PAR Groudon. Its 240 damage cap is a good follow up after Hydro Lander, and is more than enough for its purpose in the deck as a Fighting-Type, hitting Arc and Iron Hands for weakness. 240 can also take solo KOs on other big basics as well when need be.
-
Initially, I was struggling to find an ideal secondary attacker, until I remembered Raging Bolt. 5 Energy discards is well enough to KO a Zard, and is generally able to get quick numbers that are out of range of the others. It's for this reason I'm considering more of it, but this is just V1 of the deck. Including Raging Bolt meant including a Lightning, and in my eyes, I saw no reason for me to not add a second one and Iron Hands. With an attach and 3 Energy Hydro Lander, you can threaten Amps rather quick, and pressure matchups like Lugia and its Cinccino, and Gholdengo's Palkia.
-
The draw feels pretty solid for the deck, and will likely stay consistent. RadGren for discarding more Fighting, and a 2-2 Bibarel for the consistency. As for trainers, Irida is an instant 4-of for being able to find Poffins, Greninja, Chomp + Candy, and Vessel early. Arven is also a help for finding TM Evo or Devo if you need it. Iono could be bumped up to 3 I feel. NEO Upper Energy is included as the ACE SPEC on the grounds of utility. It can act to power up a background Chomp, or serve as a quick discard target for Sonic Dive to snipe the bench, which can help with Devolution plays.

Considerations

[+1 Raging Bolt + 1 Sandy Shocks ex] - For leaning a little more into Raging Bolt, which I think is wise. I'm on the fence about the Sandy Shocks, but I feel somewhat strongly regarding a second Raging Bolt.

[Trekking Shoes or Gutsy Pickaxe?] - There's a burning debate going on in my head on which I should use. On one hand, I like the potential discard and a bit more freedom on when I want to discard an energy if I find one with Trekking Shoes. On the other hand, I think the potential attachment from Gutsy Pickaxe can allow your stronger attackers to swing faster. Maybe I just find room for both?

[Misc.] I also thought about bumping up to a 4th Poffin, but in my testing so far I think the 3 might work well enough. I've also thought about things like Exp. Share to conserve a couple energy if an opponent responds quicker than expected or something. Also considered trading TM Evo for an Ancient or Future Booster Capsule. The extra 20 on Hands lets it OHKO Lugia VSTAR and Palkia VSTAR after weakness, and Ancient just makes Raging Bolt become a lot tankier. Another consideration is an extra Switch, to pull Raging Bolt after the attack. With so many 1-ofs, I also feel strongly about working in a Super Rod I think that's probably the top of the consideration list for Trainers.

End

And that's about all I've got! Lemme know your thoughts. I am quite happy with the list as a base, but I don't have too many close by irl people to talk to; much less on a regular basis, so I thought I'd come back and put my thoughts on the net! Thanks for reading!

I'm curious what you used to build that deck and produce the image. I don't have any advice about the deck, I've only been playing for a couple months and only play in local leagues, but would you mind letting me know what program or site you're using to deck build? I'd sure appreciate it!

I'm going to give it a spin ?

I'll play some 5 games, maybe shake up the deck, play a few more, and edit this post

First of all, thanks so much for sharing the list! ♥️
I've been enjoying it a lot so don't take my notes as hating haha

I never played Garchomp and also didn't have much experience with the matchup. I played very casually as a kid but I only started playing again last rotation, on PTCGL. So take what I say with a grain of salt. I also started and only played this in the bottom Azelf ultra league pretty much.

It's a deck with very few room for error, and it's also kinda easy to mess up. Having 2 bosses + Ace Spec gust I added in, in a deck whose main attacker can struggle to kill one-prizers (Ancient Moon), really limits your options. But I don't think any more would help either. I want to guess that I played between 10 to 20 matches with it yesterday, some I lost to pretty dumb fumbles, and I lost more than I won. But I remember winning to Zard, Lugia and Ancient Moon decks, and hey, I'm still getting used to the deck.

I'm getting rid of Groudon, I think. If you have another fighting type suggestion please do tell, but it's pretty clunky to set up. It's supposed to be the one prizer in the deck but it requires so much support from Garchomp. Groudon usually discard its own energy expecting to die next turn but, if it doesn't, now I gotta pray I can access one of the only two switches in the deck. Also, starting with Groudon on its own sucks bad and attaching 2 energies manually and retreating on turn 3 was awful. The switch was prized.

Iron Hands and Raging Bolt fit okay. Ancient Raikou does its job well when it's needed, no complaints. Iron hands, well, I didn't yet find too many situations where the benefits outweighed the risks. 120 is feeling a bit low right now and exposing Hands with its meager 230 HP out in the open feels like a death sentence even if I did fish out an important one-prizer.

In fact, it's the same 120 HP that Garchomp does, and Garchomp does it easier. So I can either bring out Iron Hands, necessarily use Hydro Lander to charge it, pray the opponent doesn't boss, and then use it. OR, not go through all that, and take out the essential 1-prizer with Garchomp. Hands is super-effective against whom, Greninja and Archeops right now? Greninja is a good draw engine but ususally not a priority, killing Archeops means you'll get 1-shot by the last mon with energy. And again, because this deck can't have the Hands surprise factor, it's a very telegraphed move and the opponent can prepare for it.

In fact, I like gutsy pickaxe a lot. Energy acceleration only happening after an attack means that the single energy placement per turn can hurt hard. Maybe gutsy could be used for a sneak attack ancient raikou, but I haven't done that yet.

TLDR: Overall, I really like and am having fun with this deck. But it needs some calibration and my brain needs calibration too, because I've been finding it hard to secure victories with it.

Scattered notes:

More than once I sorta-bricked starting with only Groudon in my hand and the only switch was prized. Damned be post-rotation lack of escape rope ??

I didn't really feel like the Ace Spec energy was doing too much for me, so I switched it for Ace Spec gust. Then I removed it and I wanted Ace Spec energy again. The fact that Ace Spec gust is easily searchable though and Ace Spec energy isn't makes it so much less clutch.

NO rod is insane. Maybe if I was suuuper precise with my plays I might not need it but I used it to recover both mons and both energies. It's just so easy to over-commit on discarding energies.

No stadium/stadium removal options? I haven't run into any issues immediately but I can see it being a sore spot. Would have been nice going against a Zorobox just farming grapejaw.

160+160 = 320 is tough against Zard. I'm playing both with the devolution tool as well as a copy of vitality band. It helped... once. Probably best to double down on a second copy of devolution, maybe.

I wish Greninja or another backrow 1-prizer worked well with this deck. Or not, idk.

First of all, thanks so much for sharing the list! ♥️
I've been enjoying it a lot so don't take my notes as hating haha

I never played Garchomp and also didn't have much experience with the matchup. I played very casually as a kid but I only started playing again last rotation, on PTCGL. So take what I say with a grain of salt. I also started and only played this in the bottom Azelf ultra league pretty much.

It's a deck with very few room for error, and it's also kinda easy to mess up. Having 2 bosses + Ace Spec gust I added in, in a deck whose main attacker can struggle to kill one-prizers (Ancient Moon), really limits your options. But I don't think any more would help either. I want to guess that I played between 10 to 20 matches with it yesterday, some I lost to pretty dumb fumbles, and I lost more than I won. But I remember winning to Zard, Lugia and Ancient Moon decks, and hey, I'm still getting used to the deck.

I'm getting rid of Groudon, I think. If you have another fighting type suggestion please do tell, but it's pretty clunky to set up. It's supposed to be the one prizer in the deck but it requires so much support from Garchomp. Groudon usually discard its own energy expecting to die next turn but, if it doesn't, now I gotta pray I can access one of the only two switches in the deck. Also, starting with Groudon on its own sucks bad and attaching 2 energies manually and retreating on turn 3 was awful. The switch was prized.

Iron Hands and Raging Bolt fit okay. Ancient Raikou does its job well when it's needed, no complaints. Iron hands, well, I didn't yet find too many situations where the benefits outweighed the risks. 120 is feeling a bit low right now and exposing Hands with its meager 230 HP out in the open feels like a death sentence even if I did fish out an important one-prizer.

In fact, it's the same 120 HP that Garchomp does, and Garchomp does it easier. So I can either bring out Iron Hands, necessarily use Hydro Lander to charge it, pray the opponent doesn't boss, and then use it. OR, not go through all that, and take out the essential 1-prizer with Garchomp. Hands is super-effective against whom, Greninja and Archeops right now? Greninja is a good draw engine but ususally not a priority, killing Archeops means you'll get 1-shot by the last mon with energy. And again, because this deck can't have the Hands surprise factor, it's a very telegraphed move and the opponent can prepare for it.

In fact, I like gutsy pickaxe a lot. Energy acceleration only happening after an attack means that the single energy placement per turn can hurt hard. Maybe gutsy could be used for a sneak attack ancient raikou, but I haven't done that yet.

TLDR: Overall, I really like and am having fun with this deck. But it needs some calibration and my brain needs calibration too, because I've been finding it hard to secure victories with it.

Scattered notes:

More than once I sorta-bricked starting with only Groudon in my hand and the only switch was prized. Damned be post-rotation lack of escape rope ??

I didn't really feel like the Ace Spec energy was doing too much for me, so I switched it for Ace Spec gust. Then I removed it and I wanted Ace Spec energy again. The fact that Ace Spec gust is easily searchable though and Ace Spec energy isn't makes it so much less clutch.

NO rod is insane. Maybe if I was suuuper precise with my plays I might not need it but I used it to recover both mons and both energies. It's just so easy to over-commit on discarding energies.

No stadium/stadium removal options? I haven't run into any issues immediately but I can see it being a sore spot. Would have been nice going against a Zorobox just farming grapejaw.

160+160 = 320 is tough against Zard. I'm playing both with the devolution tool as well as a copy of vitality band. It helped... once. Probably best to double down on a second copy of devolution, maybe.

I wish Greninja or another backrow 1-prizer worked well with this deck. Or not, idk.
So, I did actually test around and make some edits myself. This is the list I'm sittin' pretty on right now, and I have been seeing some success with it.

Pokémon (17)
4 Gible PAR 94
1 Gabite PAR 95
3 Garchomp ex PAR 38
2 Bidoof CRZ 111
2 Bibarel BRS 121
2 Raging Bolt ex TEF 123
1 Iron Hands ex PAR 70
1 Slither Wing PAR 203

Trainer (32)
4 Irida ASR 147
3 Iono PAL 185
2 Boss's Orders BRS 132
2 Arven SVI 166
4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
3 Rare Candy SVI 191
3 Buddy-Buddy Poffin TEF 144
3 Trekking Shoes ASR 156
2 Nest Ball SUM 123
2 Earthen Vessel PAR 163
1 Super Rod BKT 149
1 Switch MEW 206

Energy (11)
8 Fighting Energy SVE 6
2 Lightning Energy SVE 4
1 Neo Upper Energy TEF 162

It was shortly after my post that I decided I needed to lean more into the Raging Bolt and drop the Groudon. Initially I intended to swap it for Sandy Shocks ex for Magnetic Absorption, but it actually ended up being PAR Slither Wing that came out on top in testing. It's doing what it needs to--swing a quick OKHO on a Hands or Arceus V while being a one-prizer. Stomp Off has also proven surprisingly useful in fringe scenarios.

I did toil and turn over the Gutsy/Trekking debate, but I ultimately found myself groaning at finding a [F] Energy more than being pleased. The extra Trekking Shoes also helps dig through the deck more when need be. Super Rod was an obvious include that I don't know how I never saw it, but I eventually caught it. As for your suggestion on the 2nd Devo, I do resonate with that, and I was thinking about the Vitality Band play myself. Missing out on the 10 damage to 2-shot Zard really sucks. As for Stadium/removal, I thought it might be wise to try and work in a copy of Lost Vacuum. I don't really see many Stadiums that would benefit me all that much.

I do see the idea behind cutting Hands as well, harder to set up in a lot of matchups. If you can get a big Hydro Lander off early you can threaten it, but a lot of times it can be quick to respond to. I have found uses for it; particularly in the Gardy matchup, but I'm not opposed to trying to cut it.

I'm curious what you used to build that deck and produce the image. I don't have any advice about the deck, I've only been playing for a couple months and only play in local leagues, but would you mind letting me know what program or site you're using to deck build? I'd sure appreciate it!
I used the deckbuilder on my.limitlesstcg.com! You can export your deck as text or as an image straight from there!

Hi all, been far too long since I posted here. After taking a hiatus just before Tag Team era, I started playing again just around the time of 151. Gotta say, the feeling's never been more fun. After scraping together Miraidon for my local scene, I decided to bide my time after Paradox Rift, and stock up to be more prepared to go full force after rotation. At my local Temporal Forces prerelease, I traded some Arceus VSTARs I wasn't using for some Chomps, figured: "Hey, Chomp could be fun after rotation." and I got to work as soon as I got home.

Fun little story for how I got back into deckbuilding for myself aside, this is what I came up with.

View attachment 19028

Pokemon - 17

4 Gible PAR 94
2 Gabite PAR 95
3 Garchomp ex PAR 38
1 Groudon PAR 93
1 Iron Hands ex PAR 70
1 Raging Bolt ex SV5K 53
2 Bidoof CRZ 111
2 Bibarel BRS 121

Trainers - 31

4 Irida ASR 147
2 Boss's Orders BRS 132
2 Iono PAL 185
2 Arven SVI 166
2 Trekking Shoes ASR 156
1 Switch HS 102
2 Nest Ball SUM 123
4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
4 Rare Candy SVI 191
3 Earthen Vessel PAR 163

Energy - 12

The Idea

Garchomp's gameplan is pretty simple: Get Fighting Energy into the discard with relative speed, swing with Hydro Lander to explosively power up additional attackers, and follow up with more damaging hits. I went into this thinking about using BRS Lucario, but I felt like pulling from what I had already observed from the archetype before. Pretty quickly I decided I wanted PAR Groudon. Its 240 damage cap is a good follow up after Hydro Lander, and is more than enough for its purpose in the deck as a Fighting-Type, hitting Arc and Iron Hands for weakness. 240 can also take solo KOs on other big basics as well when need be.
-
Initially, I was struggling to find an ideal secondary attacker, until I remembered Raging Bolt. 5 Energy discards is well enough to KO a Zard, and is generally able to get quick numbers that are out of range of the others. It's for this reason I'm considering more of it, but this is just V1 of the deck. Including Raging Bolt meant including a Lightning, and in my eyes, I saw no reason for me to not add a second one and Iron Hands. With an attach and 3 Energy Hydro Lander, you can threaten Amps rather quick, and pressure matchups like Lugia and its Cinccino, and Gholdengo's Palkia.
-
The draw feels pretty solid for the deck, and will likely stay consistent. RadGren for discarding more Fighting, and a 2-2 Bibarel for the consistency. As for trainers, Irida is an instant 4-of for being able to find Poffins, Greninja, Chomp + Candy, and Vessel early. Arven is also a help for finding TM Evo or Devo if you need it. Iono could be bumped up to 3 I feel. NEO Upper Energy is included as the ACE SPEC on the grounds of utility. It can act to power up a background Chomp, or serve as a quick discard target for Sonic Dive to snipe the bench, which can help with Devolution plays.

Considerations

[+1 Raging Bolt + 1 Sandy Shocks ex] - For leaning a little more into Raging Bolt, which I think is wise. I'm on the fence about the Sandy Shocks, but I feel somewhat strongly regarding a second Raging Bolt.

[Trekking Shoes or Gutsy Pickaxe?] - There's a burning debate going on in my head on which I should use. On one hand, I like the potential discard and a bit more freedom on when I want to discard an energy if I find one with Trekking Shoes. On the other hand, I think the potential attachment from Gutsy Pickaxe can allow your stronger attackers to swing faster. Maybe I just find room for both?

[Misc.] I also thought about bumping up to a 4th Poffin, but in my testing so far I think the 3 might work well enough. I've also thought about things like Exp. Share to conserve a couple energy if an opponent responds quicker than expected or something. Also considered trading TM Evo for an Ancient or Future Booster Capsule. The extra 20 on Hands lets it OHKO Lugia VSTAR and Palkia VSTAR after weakness, and Ancient just makes Raging Bolt become a lot tankier. Another consideration is an extra Switch, to pull Raging Bolt after the attack. With so many 1-ofs, I also feel strongly about working in a Super Rod I think that's probably the top of the consideration list for Trainers.

End

And that's about all I've got! Lemme know your thoughts. I am quite happy with the list as a base, but I don't have too many close by irl people to talk to; much less on a regular basis, so I thought I'd come back and put my thoughts on the net! Thanks fo

View attachment 19028

Pokemon - 17

4 Gible PAR 94
2 Gabite PAR 95
3 Garchomp ex PAR 38
1 Groudon PAR 93
1 Iron Hands ex PAR 70
1 Raging Bolt ex SV5K 53
2 Bidoof CRZ 111
2 Bibarel BRS 121

Trainers - 31

4 Irida ASR 147
2 Boss's Orders BRS 132
2 Iono PAL 185
2 Arven SVI 166
2 Trekking Shoes ASR 156
1 Switch HS 102
2 Nest Ball SUM 123
4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
4 Rare Candy SVI 191
3 Earthen Vessel PAR 163

Energy - 12

The Idea

-
-

Considerations

End

And that's about all I've got! Lemme know your thoughts. I am quite happy with the list as a base, but I don't have too many close by irl people to talk to; much less on a regular basis, so I thought I'd come back and put my thoughts on the net! Thanks for reading!
I’ve been running the Raging Chomp combo about 2 weeks now and i love the synergy between the 2. This is my deck list at the moment:
3 Gible PAR
3 Garchomp PAR
2 Raging Bolt TEF
2 Bidoof BStars
2 Bibarel BStars
1 Radiant Greninja Astral Radiance
1 Drillbur TEF
1 Sandy Shocks PAR

4 Irida
3 Ancient Booster Capsule
3 Earthen Vessel
3 Rare Candy
3 Switch Cart/Switch
2 Buddy Poffin
2 Boss’s Orders
2 Nest Ball
2 Ultra Ball
2 Iono
2 Sada’s Vitality
2 Ciphermaniac’s Codebreaking
1 Counter Catcher
1 Super Rod
1 Prime Catcher Ace Spec
1 TM Devolution

9 Fighting Energy
2 Lightning Energy

Attachments

• IMG_3795.jpeg
    IMG_3795.jpeg
    849.6 KB · Views: 5
I’ve been running the Raging Chomp combo about 2 weeks now and i love the synergy between the 2. This is my deck list at the moment:
3 Gible PAR
3 Garchomp PAR
2 Raging Bolt TEF
2 Bidoof BStars
2 Bibarel BStars
1 Radiant Greninja Astral Radiance
1 Drillbur TEF
1 Sandy Shocks PAR

4 Irida
3 Ancient Booster Capsule
3 Earthen Vessel
3 Rare Candy
3 Switch Cart/Switch
2 Buddy Poffin
2 Boss’s Orders
2 Nest Ball
2 Ultra Ball
2 Iono
2 Sada’s Vitality
2 Ciphermaniac’s Codebreaking
1 Counter Catcher
1 Super Rod
1 Prime Catcher Ace Spec
1 TM Devolution

9 Fighting Energy
2 Lightning Energy
I must say, I’m pretty interested with the list! I’ll give it a shot as soon as I’m able!

I must say, I’m pretty interested with the list! I’ll give it a shot as soon as I’m able!
It’s a fun deck for sure! Drilbur helps get energy to the discard when you need it. Sandy Shocks is nice to get an extra energy in play for Raging Bolt. The devolution is nice for those stage 2 decks(Charizard) that use rare candys but also interchangeable with mist energy to counter Roaring Moon.

Back