Tournament Poll for September Tournament Format

Even though it probably would compress the tournament- (set doesnt release until Friday, realistically cant start until Monday?) I think being able to go back and compare PokeBeach's winning deck to the actual World's winner would be kinda fun.

I was reminded this morning that the 96 participants we can support each month is almost equal to what an old states or regional was years ago. The scale of the game sure has changed a lot.

Last edited:
@semurphy444 But this is about September, so Celestial Storm will be out for almost 4 weeks then.

I actually thought the same, but its not about August I see.

Then I’ll definitely vote for the new Standard format, given that I will play at the Frankfurt Regionals with a couple of friends at the end of September. So the PokeBeach tournament is like my first and last chance of testing in a competitive environment in the new Standard format with Celestial Storm and after rotation, except maybe a League Cup / League Challenge. And since there will change a lot, I think Standard format for September would be fair.

Could we maybe play Expanded the month a new set comes out, so the Standard meta has been established until the new sets becomes legal for tournament play? Like @Sabaku ’s idea?

Legacy? :3

[edit] just realized I bumped a week old thread but I stand by my plea to have people to play legacy with

Last edited:
I'll want to go with Standard format / SM-on to be honest. I'm not only already wanting to play the next format and test all the 10 or so deck ideas and concepts I have, but unless some of us were actually going to Worlds physically, I feel like there's barely a point to playing the format anymore. Not that I don't like BKT-on, but I'm simply just a tad bit tired from it. No real powerful arguments here, honestly.

Definitely gonna vote Standard Format on this one. As @lukas2aces mentioned, some people use the Pokebeach tournament as a competitive environment to deck test in when major changes are made to the meta (like a new format rotation). So I think it's beneficial to go Standard Format at least for the month of September.

I feel that if you're gonna do Worlds format, do it in August, feels a bit weird playing it after rotation... also I really don't like *this* year's worlds format, too much Zoroark and puzzles. (Voted expanded, which I'm enjoying a lot so far, but we haven't hit rotation yet and who knows how fun standard will be; hopefully it opens things up a bit.)

I feel that if you're gonna do Worlds format, do it in August, feels a bit weird playing it after rotation... also I really don't like *this* year's worlds format, too much Zoroark and puzzles. (Voted expanded, which I'm enjoying a lot so far, but we haven't hit rotation yet and who knows how fun standard will be; hopefully it opens things up a bit.)

It'd be nice to get a peek a what everyone's been testing for Post-Rotation without any tournament results tainting deck choices!

On a similar note, @PokeMedic is it possible to get metrics on more than just the top 8 decks? It would be an interesting exercise to see what the 'pokebeach meta' is as a whole.

I vote expanded since I've got a League Cup and the Portland Regionals (both in expanded) to be practicing for already, so I won't have to switch up my deck formats.

Back