Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: February 2017 - Alola Pokedex - Results Are Up!

VinculumStellarum

Hello Tomorrow, going well? Any luck?
Went into PS and tried that. While it works well, the problem I'm having is it discolours the original too much. This is what I have right now:
it'sstilltoodark.png
The holosheet scale's a little off, but as it was an experiment, I didn't pay much attention to that.

I also can't remember the artist's name, sorry. >_<"
As you can see, it's still too dark, and I'm wondering how to preserve the original colour of the Pokémon more strongly. I found that setting the top layer (Colour Dodge) to 10% helped greatly, but I was wondering if you had any other tips on that. Thank you so much, by the way! ^v^

Ty Comfy Hat

The Cosmic rage of Astral Dwarfs from Aberdeen.
Went into PS and tried that. While it works well, the problem I'm having is it discolours the original too much. This is what I have right now:
View attachment 12924
The holosheet scale's a little off, but as it was an experiment, I didn't pay much attention to that.

As you can see, it's still too dark, and I'm wondering how to preserve the original colour of the Pokémon more strongly. I found that setting the top layer (Colour Dodge) to 10% helped greatly, but I was wondering if you had any other tips on that. Thank you so much, by the way! ^v^
No worries, m80!
I'll admit that I haven't worked at making any full-art fakes where the foil effect goes over the 'mon. I've only ever played around with it on backgrounds and stuff, like in the image I edited into my last post.
The way I see things like this, you just gotta keep experimenting until you get something that looks good. The big advantage digital art has over traditional art is that you have limitless resources, and anything that looks bad can be undone, so you don't waste anything by trying out every little variation that you think may work.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Like Tyler said, you have to keep messing with settings until you find something that looks nice to the eye. Maybe try messing with overlay and soft light and see if the colors work for you. Also, Lighten removes white from a layer, which can be used to keep the darker tones of the foil pattern and overlay removes gray from the layer so you can keep light tones of a foil. You may also need to remove parts of a foil pattern to make it looks better.

aschefield101

is behind you !
@jesi - am not back from work for another 6hrs, will type up a short guide for you anyone else, regarding FA sheets :)

aschefield101

is behind you !
View attachment 12924

Hokay, so :
  • Generally speaking, the "skin" area of humans and/or Pokemon are a bubbly/bobbly/bumpy style texture. I use a default pattern available in all versions of PS for that. It has a black/white/grey colour scheme to it, looks wrong at 100%, set it to 50% and overlay set to low opacity, you'll soon see it works well. (On mine it's about the 10th one from the top of the texture patterns default set).
  • For the lineart you'll want a basic golden yellow gradient, try to add as many dark/light/dark/light to it. Mine are generally gradients with 8-10 different golds in.
    • After that, duplicate that lineart layer, remove the layer types (if any) so that its your base line. Then fill opacity set to 0% and reuse the bobbly texture from above, sometimes looks nice with Overlay, sometimes Hard Light, depends entirely on what you wanna see from it.
  • For the rest of the Pokemon/humanoid bits, thats where your patterns come into play. I mainly use Color Dodge and Overlay for patterns there, but those patterns are ones I've made myself and are alot darker than neko's (icycatelf). For example a spiral one I made ages ago is black/white, seems to show better than ones I've seen people use which are grey with the pattern only just showing. Could be that you might need to try desaturating and changing contrast, to make them darker; then trying the effects?
  • For the background it's the same principal as the above body parts, however the filters used vary greatly with the background itself. Alot of trial and error for backgrounds sadly.
After that, I'll duplicate many layers and add Overlay in, just to bring out the colours more. Then tinker even more because I am insane lol

Hopefully it makes some sense for ya.

professorlight

Ice Queen
I said I wouldn't do this again, but why not; it's not not every day that CaC is back. Sign me up for image.

-N-OSEC8bzUdmj5v822dzAypkA0IYinwKpP8fxVKnF3cEKuVyd-dyaNtPYDpzD6Ax-M1pHCpKMS8ZX8-pS8zRXFprMB57V2YyzaE-gPAjTPoMAsNXlUTWGUjX5GvKO33nGdUIHDKUlKMJ6FQokHsIbWHzy_HWWjhDwvGlBw6M32AvaoPLlicUki-hGjGDzwmYXe966jJVPqJQgq0CKIhFeieODFX5QirU7doMPLfD5BegBhwGhrub__w_n3Weqyv7p9_xF98dFXEfI3V_JTbwaYw3ga3_dgq29F_RaqTVXZtEHG64JpEgs74yWwM-oHPnXuay8eDDpgFHhqhhzW0BgNbrFwgGhyQh0w_iKEp9JiSWgHCNDrsP6XBBxcTLmnNYTXicUtwmHwa9mE0ubhbcwGoprSQqx2Ml2i4FkfYe0OyjYQw2tckihi0YbLcdfkItiul7XGyOtR1qnAlcdVCX1Pq13tdmapIO8mBwxpe49eaQzsenmORo3KAzpQxQRWniwwPxxHZxaxv-cgDLUiY70wKHRh8oq02EUN0cF7YlmjxvC6OiUMnKNgXyophIBkoMYjeVVvTMD9CwybdF8Q51uAhyOogdWJ3jMNdGxE5yEktR6ABawVumUyj9rPIioha-kcWGV8JdIDeuppPqTOmyei4zV4AxUNK0ncpspZ3xw=w661-h931-no

You know where to find it anyway, Jabber, but, just to be sure and since it didn't fit in the card:

A Pokémon with a Frozen counter can’t retreat and requires your opponent to flip a coin between turns. If tails, that Pokémon can’t attack for that turn. (Frozen counters stay on the Pokémon as long as it’s Active).

Huh. I didn't know Burn changed in Sun and Moon. Since Freezing was meant to be its parallel, maybe I should change it as well. I'll defer to your expert opinion, when you judge it.

Little Cherrim

Political Obsessor
I said I wouldn't do this again, but why not; it's not not every day that CaC is back. Sign me up for image.

-N-OSEC8bzUdmj5v822dzAypkA0IYinwKpP8fxVKnF3cEKuVyd-dyaNtPYDpzD6Ax-M1pHCpKMS8ZX8-pS8zRXFprMB57V2YyzaE-gPAjTPoMAsNXlUTWGUjX5GvKO33nGdUIHDKUlKMJ6FQokHsIbWHzy_HWWjhDwvGlBw6M32AvaoPLlicUki-hGjGDzwmYXe966jJVPqJQgq0CKIhFeieODFX5QirU7doMPLfD5BegBhwGhrub__w_n3Weqyv7p9_xF98dFXEfI3V_JTbwaYw3ga3_dgq29F_RaqTVXZtEHG64JpEgs74yWwM-oHPnXuay8eDDpgFHhqhhzW0BgNbrFwgGhyQh0w_iKEp9JiSWgHCNDrsP6XBBxcTLmnNYTXicUtwmHwa9mE0ubhbcwGoprSQqx2Ml2i4FkfYe0OyjYQw2tckihi0YbLcdfkItiul7XGyOtR1qnAlcdVCX1Pq13tdmapIO8mBwxpe49eaQzsenmORo3KAzpQxQRWniwwPxxHZxaxv-cgDLUiY70wKHRh8oq02EUN0cF7YlmjxvC6OiUMnKNgXyophIBkoMYjeVVvTMD9CwybdF8Q51uAhyOogdWJ3jMNdGxE5yEktR6ABawVumUyj9rPIioha-kcWGV8JdIDeuppPqTOmyei4zV4AxUNK0ncpspZ3xw=w661-h931-no

You know where to find it anyway, Jabber, but, just to be sure and since it didn't fit in the card:

A Pokémon with a Frozen counter can’t retreat and requires your opponent to flip a coin between turns. If tails, that Pokémon can’t attack for that turn. (Frozen counters stay on the Pokémon as long as it’s Active).

Huh. I didn't know Burn changed in Sun and Moon. Since Freezing was meant to be its parallel, maybe I should change it as well. I'll defer to your expert opinion, when you judge it.
@Lord o da rings
Come and see this!

100'th post! :D

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Stage 1 ~ Evolves from Grimer Muk HP 100 Dark
089-a.png

Ability: Garbage Absorb
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a card from your hand. If you do, this Pokémon gets +20 HP.

[D][C] Dangerous Alchemy 20+
Each player discards one of their Benched Pokémon. If you discarded an Evolution Pokémon, this attack does 50 more damage.

Weakness: [F] x2 Resistance: [P] -20
Retreat Cost: [C][C]
Muk in Alola have developed an addiction to garbage. Their color changes based on the garbage they eat.
For this entry, I wanted to infuse the essence of Alolan Muk into the card. When I think of Alolan Muk, I think of getting rid of things, but for the greater good (it works to remove trash for sanitation departments). Garbage Absorb is a interesting ability, which lets you sacrifice a card to give yourself more HP. At the same time, the card discard could work for your benefit, allowing you to get more cards off of a Shaymin EX or Lillie. Dangerous Alchemy is similar. It could hurt you/your opponent, or it could remove an easy two prizes from your bench. The Dangerous Alchemy attack is also lightly based off of Alolan Muk's signature ability, Power of Alchemy. By discarding a powerful Pokemon, you gain their power (which in the game is their ability, but in the card is more damage).
"Common Wording Errors" compilation, M-Gardevoir EX (Despair Ray), Ultra Ball, Fighting Fury Belt, Unown (Farewell Letter), Hoothoot (Dual Draw).

RaiZhuW-The-Real

Aspiring Trainer
Not sure if I'm posting this reply right or not (Just made the account lol) I'm interested in the Image-Based Entry, I want to enter, a few questions though: Are the max pts anyone can get 50? And is the last day for us to submit the art the 28th of Feb?

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Not sure if I'm posting this reply right or not (Just made the account lol) I'm interested in the Image-Based Entry, I want to enter, a few questions though: Are the max pts anyone can get 50? And is the last day for us to submit the art the 28th of Feb?

Deadline: February 26th (Thurs.) 12:00pm EST
Here’s a deadline countdown for convenience: [link]​

And yes, the max points is 50. (Also that day above should say Sunday, lol)

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Lol 2 days less than I thought, I'll still enter though, any specific rules for sizes or if I can have both a holo and non-holo versions of the card next to each other on the same image?
Yeah, that will be fine. Otherwise, @blahblahbal answered your other to questions well.

With RaiZhu's signup, it also means that all portions of the competition are now full! It's quite encouraging to see so many people sign up. Reminder that the deadline is on the 26th of February at 12:00pm EST. Also a reminder that if you wish to drop out, you must do so by the 22nd of February, if to not occur a penalty.

RaiZhuW-The-Real

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, that will be fine. Otherwise, @blahblahbal answered your other to questions well.

With RaiZhu's signup, it also means that all portions of the competition are now full! It's quite encouraging to see so many people sign up. Reminder that the deadline is on the 26th of February at 12:00pm EST. Also a reminder that if you wish to drop out, you must do so by the 22nd of February, if to not occur a penalty.

Thanks, glad to be apart of it!

Nyora

A Cat
Stage 1 ~ Evolves from Grimer Muk HP 100 Dark
089-a.png

Ability: Garbage Absorb
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a card from your hand. If you do, this Pokémon gets +20 HP.

[D][C] Dangerous Alchemy 20+
Each player discards one of their Benched Pokémon. If you discarded an Evolution Pokémon, this attack does 50 more damage.

Weakness: [F] x2 Resistance: [P] -20
Retreat Cost: [C][C]
Muk in Alola have developed an addiction to garbage. Their color changes based on the garbage they eat.
For this entry, I wanted to infuse the essence of Alolan Muk into the card. When I think of Alolan Muk, I think of getting rid of things, but for the greater good (it works to remove trash for sanitation departments). Garbage Absorb is a interesting ability, which lets you sacrifice a card to give yourself more HP. At the same time, the card discard could work for your benefit, allowing you to get more cards off of a Shaymin EX or Lillie. Dangerous Alchemy is similar. It could hurt you/your opponent, or it could remove an easy two prizes from your bench. The Dangerous Alchemy attack is also lightly based off of Alolan Muk's signature ability, Power of Alchemy. By discarding a powerful Pokemon, you gain their power (which in the game is their ability, but in the card is more damage).
"Common Wording Errors" compilation, M-Gardevoir EX (Despair Ray), Ultra Ball, Fighting Fury Belt, Unown (Farewell Letter), Hoothoot (Dual Draw).
It goes along well with my entry too! :p

xaej806

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member

Hello, I actually do need to drop out of this own unfortunately. I was in for image-based. Sorry, and thanks for understanding!