POKEMON TCG Luck VS Skill VS fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prenceofdarkness

NeoGenesisRevo
First off let me start off by saying that I've been playing pokemon for a little while now. I've been to a few battle roads and I attend league play.

We all know that Pokémon TCG is a game based on both luck as well as skill. But how much is luck as oppose to skill?

In my opinion it's 25% your skill 25% opponent's and around 50% luck.
For example, if you are a pro vsing a new comer and you started with castform and he wild kicks you, by going first and getting heads, well YOU JUST LOST. And then comes my favorite part: "GOOD GAME :)"... o_O'. Excuse me for not understanding how that was a GOOD GAME.

Some of you might be saying if the game wasn't based on luck then it would be boring and generic. I disagree.

I'm sure alot of people have complained about this before, but I'm not complaining I'm trying to discuss a solution or an alternative "less luck based" way of playing.

At the begining of every turn we draw a card. That card could be anything ranging from your 13 straight energy card in a row, to your game winning rare candy. So what is my point? What if at the start of every turn you could search your deck for any one card?

What would the game be like then? Well many of you will say cards like Celio and elm's would be useless. Not really, you could search your deck for a draw card, and then it wouldn't be useless. Or we could adjust celio so you can search for two pokemon or elm could search for 2 evolutions.

Another thing that would happen would be that you would be able to play TCG like the video game and have alot of different types and alot of different cards. Think about it... we already look every turn for 1 card we want anyways (MR STONE, CELIO and so on), this would just make it so we could have more pokemon and more pokemon cards we like instead of "trying to increase our chances at drawing our cards".

Prizes shouldn't be done the way they are, we should have prize markers and then we search our deck for a card when we "take a prize".

This would get rid of alot of the luck factor. Let me know what you guys think...

PS I'll spell check later GTG!

edit:
At the start of the game would choose your starting handle and/or pokemon (haven't given it much thought)
This would eliminate the stupid 1 hit games.

Luck can be a pain, but deckbuilding and good deck choices at a tourney can fix that.

Also, the game that you proposed is like it was before, newbies had absolutely no chance to win, and the player that went first won like 70-90% of the time(when they were both of equal skill). Now, newbies have at least a little chance to donk more skilled players, that's why we have more new players that decide to join the game.

So wait what's the point of good "deck building" is some random kid can win against an experienced player?

By good deck choices I mean: You won't play a deck that uses castform as a starter (who plays it like that?) in a metagame with lucario, that for an easy example...

Its definately more luck then skill. A consistant deck means luck will play far less of a factor. Playing a deck with a bunch of flippy cards (eggs, I'm lookin at you) means you'll eventually get some key flips that will fail. To avoid being t1ed?? Just dont' play any pokes that are weak to fighting...or run 18+ basics. Those will both nearly ensure not getting benched early game by rioulu.

I will take fun over a tournoment win anyday
If I go 7-2 at a tournoment and dont make cut *shakes fist at grinder 06*, then I will be quite annoyed
If afterwards i spend the day having fun with my friends, then the tournoment results could mean less to me.

yeah, like my second to last BR i had almost no fun winnning and losing on t2-3 and losing terribly with a perpetual crap hand.

I think if you could play it like you said, it would take the whole fun and strategy out of the game. You could simply devise a strategy, and then have it going in a matter of turns! That wouldn't be very fair or fun for that matter.

I suppose I'm a more skilled deck builder than player, but I haven't done both that much yet. Anyway..
I always fail to see the positive side of the luck factor (unless it's the moment itself: *draws a Mawile, a Nidoran, a Candy and a Queen in his starting hand* yay!) but I'll never rely on it too much (I refuse to play cards like SSU, as well as the ball engine) and I think skill is very important in the long run, where luck is merely a delicate balance of useful/annoying statistics. Then again...in the long run, we are all dead. xD

Actually, the ball engine is very effective if you play it right, and isnt luck based
Take T2 Blissey for example, a T1-2 Mentor to grab all the Chanseys out of your deck means that you are guarunteed to hit a Blissey
Luck is a key part of the game, accepting that and using it to your advantage is also key to winning.

^I know, but I see a lot of Ball Engines playing Poke Ball, Dual Ball, Master Ball, Dusk Ball, Quick Ball and cards like that. I rather just...search for my Poke, instead of hoping that he's the first Poke I encounter.
EDIT: Ah, I knew an exception would be thrown. In said T2 deck, as well as in Kricketune, this is indeed very reliable. However, how can you be so sure you will get the Mentor...first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back