Help Pokemon Ranger

Martin Davis

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys

I am just looking at some decklists for the Ho-Oh GX/Salazzle GX deck and I see that there is no Pokemon Ranger in them, I have been playing around and added one in and it works very well in the late game when you only have the Ho-Oh to attack and using Tapu Lele GX to find it works well so I am curious to why no one else have played it ?

Thanks for any replies :)

Here is my observation. Pokemon Ranger would be useful if you kept OHKOing your opponent's basics, but the main use for Ho-oh in the current meta is both sniping and summoning higher level Pokemon with its GX attack. Usually, you can 2HKO any Pokemon with Phoenix burn and then a more energy-friendly sacred fire if your opponent retreats. Also, with the tight deck space here for two Pokemon, it's not always the best choice to have a Pokemon Ranger in there just because of its one attack of three (Pokemon Ranger is in Volcanion decks because it's needed for Volcanion EX's only attack).

Nobody ever uses hoohs GX. Nitro tank is by far better, and really hoohs GX in general Is just useless. Ranger is, however, no longer being ran for some of the reasons above.

Last edited:
Nobody ever uses hooh GX. Nitro tank is by far better, and really hoohs GX in general Is just useless. Ranger is, however, no longer being ran for some of the reasons above.
For the most part, you are absolutely correct. However, it is important to point out that, because of its multi-use attacks, it did place top 8 in Hartford.

I run at least one in Volcanion, though I don't run Ho-Oh. However I can see that having it in there would be beneficial for Ho-oh decks for the same reason.

Hey guys

I am just looking at some decklists for the Ho-Oh GX/Salazzle GX deck and I see that there is no Pokemon Ranger in them, I have been playing around and added one in and it works very well in the late game when you only have the Ho-Oh to attack and using Tapu Lele GX to find it works well so I am curious to why no one else have played it ?

Thanks for any replies :)
I have 1 Ho-Oh GX in my Volcanion deck in case I go up against a water deck. The Pokémon Range can be very good to get back to back OHKO on a whole bunch of stuff.
You can us it to shut off Turtonator (built in Bursting Ballon attack he has for 2 energy).

Back