Pokemon Pokemon name pronunciation guide... Should they make one?

Should The Pokemon Company make a name pronunciation guide for the Pokemon Species?

• Yes

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
Oh, this could take me all night if i wanted. But i don't. I personally go back and forth between the two of Rayquaza & Arceus. I say kee-yooh-rehm for Kyurem and co-FAH-gree-gus for Cofagrigus just because it sounds more natural.

I see the point in the anime pronunciation of Reshiram (resh-ee-ram), and i think thats how its supposed to be, but everyone I know (including myself) say it like resh-ee-rom because it sounds so much better.

Also, but not quite related, a few of my friends were convinced that it was always pronounced ev-all-gee-on.

I don't see the point of a pronunciation book because they'll just come up with new ways to mess up their names.

Bob The Magical Penguin said:
I see the point in the anime pronunciation of Reshiram (resh-ee-ram), and i think thats how its supposed to be, but everyone I know (including myself) say it like resh-ee-rom because it sounds so much better.
I've always pronounced it with a short i sound.
Also, but not quite related, a few of my friends were convinced that it was always pronounced ev-all-gee-on.
I have no idea what you friends are trying to pronounce. Evangelion?
I don't see the point of a pronunciation book because they'll just come up with new ways to mess up their names.
Except it would be official so technically you'd be the one messing them up.

They were trying to pronounce evolution (sorry I didn't make it clear).

When I said that they'd still mess up names, I knew that we still probably would, but with all the inconsistincies so far in the pokemon anime and other media that they would also mess them up (PUSA/NOA/etc.).

Cinesra said:
Except it would be official so technically you'd be the one messing them up.

Haha agreed. I would fine an official pronunciation guide, of both English and Japanese names, to be very useful!

Bob The Magical Penguin said:
They were trying to pronounce evolution
How can they get it that wrong? Is English not their first language? It's not an uncommon word.

I think they should create a pronunciation guide, because even I mispronounce names every now and then. For example:

Quagsire - "Qwog-sire" for me, "Qwag-sire" for others
Coffagrigus - "Coffa-grygus" for me, "Coffa-greegus" as I just learned
Rayquaza - "Ray-Qwa-Za" for me, "Ray-Qu-Aza" for others

I just think that just because they pronounce it differently doesn't change the Pokemon, as they are usually very similar. However, I think it would help the noobs to Pokemon pronounce their favorite ones correctly.

Raikou and I started to make a guide like this, but we never finished it.

Also note that some Pokémon names are said differently when it was new E.G.; Sq-wir-tul (in RB) and Sq-wir-tall (in DP). Also, so have two pronunciations; E.G. Ray-quay-zah, Ray-qwa-zah.

No, there's not really a need for a Pokémon pronounciation guide... The might as well make a whole Pokémon encyclopedia.
Hint, hint.

Just re-reading the stuff on the first few pages and I have to say, it's Ray-quay-zah for a reason. A qway-zah (quasar) is something that stops electric devices, much like how Rayquayza stops the weather effects of Kyogre and Groudon.
Saying that, I have no idea what a quah is.

Also, where are you guys getting Kai-rem/Ka-rem/Kee-you-rem from? Isn't it Q-rem/Kyou-rem?

This Pokedex 3D Pro has some awkward pronunciations:

- they pronounce the T in Crustle
- The first C in Cinccino has a ch sound
- Reuniclus has a stress on 'ni' and not 'u'
- Ferroseed and Ferrothorn (fer-ah-seed/thorn)
- Meen-foo and Meen-shao
- Vullaby is pronounced like lullaby; been wondering on this one forever

source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfy1Z8Y8Qbw

PMJ said:

- Meen-foo and Meen-shao

This is why I made my Pokemon pronunciation guide, so that people can chose which of the official and British pronunciations to chose from, instead of just the awkward Pokédex 3D Pro pronunciations.

BTW, Crustle is supposed to be said with a T.

PMJ said:

- Meen-foo and Meen-shao

I Always figured Cinccino was pronouced like that anyways. Mienfoo/shao are somwhat logical, but the Ferro names I don't see how they'd mess up.

I pronounce Ray-QUAY-za
Coh-fa-GREE-gus
GROUN-don (Because of ground).
Ky-OA-gr

It would be good a guide just to know if you pronounced it right or wrong and that there is no confusion.

Sinnoh_Champion_Ernesto said:
I pronounce Ray-QUAY-za
Coh-fa-GREE-gus
GROUN-don (Because of ground).
Ky-OA-gr

It would be good a guide just to know if you pronounced it right or wrong and that there is no confusion.

I'm making a guide that has all official Pronunciations.

PMJ said:

- Meen-foo and Meen-shao

You forgot about vir-EYE-zee-un and co-BAY-lee-un. (Terrakion, oddly enough, is pronounced correctly.)

This is why I will take everything 3D Pro says with a grain of salt. If it does not match with the etymology or just sounds plain outlandish, I will disregard it and call it a false pronunciation.

I can tell for Reuniclus they put the stress on 'reunite' instead of on 'homunculus'. Eh, putting it on 'reunite' doesn't make as much sense because 'homunculus' actually has 4 syllables.

Mienfoo/Mienshao? There are so many ways of handling that... I went with 'min-foo' because it's an ermine.

What could happen is nintendo say that "All the pronounciations in the pokemon _______ are canonical." They could say that Pokedex 3D Pro pronounciations are the right ones. If anything, I think they'd say that the anime would be the one. But unless someone asks at a press confrence or at some demonstration etc,We could never know.

Back