Writing Pokemon Journey: Arc's Adventure

Achmetha

Yes. This is a custom title... I think..
This is a fan-fiction to go along with my fan-game, Pokemon Granite.

~Chapter 1~

The sound of hail and the frigid air of Makar Mountain awoke Arc Steele. He sat up and lazily rubbed his hair. After the weekend he always dreaded work, but he knew it was necessary with his family’s condition. Years ago, his father had left to become a Pokémon researcher; they had never seen him after that. The money he had been sending them suddenly stopped and they knew there was only one thing that could have happened. His brother decided to leave because he was “just one more mouth to feed,” and he wanted to become a great Pokémon Trainer.

Arc up and dressed, he walked down the creaking stairs yawning. His mother surprised him, saying, “Arc, you don’t have to work today.” She was turned around fixing breakfast so she couldn’t she the expression of surprise on his face.

“Why not? I always go to work unless I’m sick,” he said, hiding the joy he felt at this welcome marvel.

“Well, I talked to Mrs. Chamben and she agreed to let you have the day off today.”

“That doesn’t answer my question, mom.”

“Don’t tell me you forgot about your birthday!”

Suddenly, Arc realized that she was right, it was his birthday! He tried to hide his embarrassment and sat down. He decided not to answer her question. “Well, I’ll see you mom,” he said. “I’ve got to go into town.”

As Arc was heading back from the Weathrop Town weather station, he decided to stop by the inn. When he opened the door, a small girl in a green dress came charging out. “Arc!” she shouted. It was Lin Chamben, the daughter of his employer and Arc’s best friend.

"Oh, Lin! How are you?"

“C’mon, Arc, I finished early. Let’s go to our secret place.”

~Chapter 2~

Lin and Arc trudged through the thick layer of snow. They came to a towering stone wall covered in ice. Arc found the entrance and got out the hatchet by his side. He slashed and hacked away at the sheet of ice until enough was exposed to walk inside. Once inside, Lin reached to the right and flicked a light on above them. Arc had spent a long time wiring the place. With the glare of the bulb, the room came into view. Lin collapsed on the old couch resting her feet on the wooden table. Pokémon posters lined the wall with gleaming faces of trainers. Arc walked over to one and read it for the hundredth time.

‘Are you a Pokémon fanatic? Have you turned thirteen? Head on over to the Pokémon Laboratory in Bernan City to choose one of three starting Pokémon today!’ It had a picture of a girl laughing with a new Sleer on her shoulder.

“Hey, Lin, it’s my thirteenth birthday, I can finally get my Pokémon,” Arc pointed out. “Want to go with me?”

Lin had been thirteen for almost a month, but she decided to wait until Arc got his first Pokémon to get hers. “Sure, Arc, we should tell our parents first, though. It’ll probably take more than one day so we need to bring things to sleep and maybe a tent.”

Arc and Lin headed off to their respective houses. Arc’s, a quiet mountain cottage; Lin’s, a bustling scenic getaway.

“Arc! I’ve been calling you forever! Where have you been?!” came the shill voice of Mrs. Steele. “You had me so worried!”

“Relax, mom I was just with Lin,” Arc assured her. He turned to walk up the stairs.

“Well, whatever. You almost forgot your birthday present. I just thought you’d be excited about getting your first Pokémon.”

“What!?!?!” Arc spun on his heels almost falling down the stairs. “But I was going to Bernan City to get my first Pokémon with Lin.”

Mrs. Steele was reaching for something on the high shelf. “Well, you can still go with Lin, but your dad left something for you for when you turned thirteen. Could you get me a chair… Never mind! I got it.” She was holding a small brown box. She handed to Arc who blew off the dust. He removed the tape and peered inside.

“Three! I get three Pokémon?” There were three red and white balls in the box. They looked old and worn. “Wow, how long has dad been a trainer? These are the really old Kanto models.”

“They aren’t that old, I used ‘em when I was your age,’ Mrs. Steele pouted. “Also, you don’t get three. The two extra are for Professor Fir in Brenan Town. Go on, choose one, there’s Fogy, a Flying type, Sleer, an Ice type, and Distat, a Fighting.”

“Those are the same three that Professor Fir is giving out."

“Of course. Your father worked for Professor Fir when he was about 18. That’s where I met him.”

“I think I’ll take Fogy. I’ve heard about them and how mean they are.”

“This one is really tame. It was the first Pokémon your dad trained. They were so close…” Tears welled up at the corners of Mrs. Steele’s eyes. She turned and wiped her eyes. “Go on, Arc, you can go with Lin. I feel that you’re safe with that Pokémon with you,” She said, her voice wavering.

“Thanks, mom! I’ll see you soon,” Arc yelled over his shoulder as he closed the door upon his past and walked through the door to his destiny.

~Chapter 3~

“Arc! What took so long?” came the cry like a banshee’s wail. Lin was standing by the pond, frozen over. The snow had stopped and Arc could see her clearly. Lin’s long blond hair half hid her baby blue eyes. Her perfect smile was replaced by this scowling frown she so often wore. “C’mon, we can’t waste any time! The roads get dangerous at night,” she said without giving him a chance to tell her about his Pokémon. Arc realized she was right and figured he would tell her when she calmed down; it didn’t matter either way because she was skating deftly across the thick ice.

Arc called to her as he stepped onto the blanket of snow, “Lin, don’t you think you should slow down?” She was running down the stairs.

He ran to catch up with her and caught her at a bad time. “You better apologize for bumping into me,” a tall, imposing biker in a white tee, a black leather vest, and a bandanna with a rock pattern said. “This is 100% Spoink leather.”

Lin was cowering on the ground in front of him. “I-I-I’m sorry,” she finally stuttered. She tried to hide her eyes like a Doduo, hoping that he wouldn’t see her if she couldn’t see him.

“Well, today is your lucky day, girl. I’m gonna let you off the hook, for the price of one night with me. Heh, heh, heh!”

“Enough is enough!” Arc dashed in front of Lin. “She said she was sorry, it was an accident, and she doesn’t want to be with you.” He turned his head and gave her a ‘thumbs up’ sign. His other hand inched towards his coat pocket.

“Kid, can’t you tell when you aren’t welcome? We were just having a friendly conversation,” the biker said. “Hey, Mike, come check this kid out, he’s standing up for a little girl.”

Another biker walked over in the same getup, only in a much larger size. “Huh, kids these days! What can you do?” he said sarcastically. “Don’t you know who we are? We’re the Granite Gang!” He turned to his companion and asked, “Wanna teach these kids a lesson?”

“You know it,” came the reply. A black ball shot out from two hands and a red light shone out of it. The red light grew and formed itself. Soon Arc was staring down an Amiroru and a Rattata.

Arc pulled out his own Pokéball and released his Fogy. He reassured Lin, “Lin, stay back I’ll take care of these bozos. Fogy, use Harden!”

Lin was wide-eyed with awe. “Arc, when did you... When did you...”

She was interrupted by the first biker. “Amiroru, Tackle!”

“Rattata, Tackle!” shouted the second.

Fogy was hit by the attacks and was knocked down for a second. Arc thought that perhaps he should have waited to make Fogy physical. It was too late so he said, “Fogy, Tackle attack!” Fogy gathered up the mist around it’s body and rammed into the two Pokémon, knocking them down. Rattata couldn’t get up but Amiroru was raring to fight.

“Rattata! Oh no, kid, you didn’t do that. You’ll pay for it,” the Pokémon’s owner cried. “Rattata return.” The black Pokéball in the trainer’s fist began to spin. It opened up and several beams of light shot out from light emitting diodes around the edges. Rattata was put between the two halves, suspended in mid-air. It was shrunk and the ball closed up.

“Ami!” the Amiroru growled, baring its teeth at Lin and Arc. It ran full speed at Arc and smashed in to him with considerable force.

“That was a takedown! Yeehaw! Wow! I’ve never seen it do one before,” the biker cheered. “You ain’t no match for the Granite Gang, kid. Go learn a few things.”

“Ugh...” Arc was clutching his stomach, keeled over in pain. He tried to get the strength to sit up, but he fell back in pain, wincing. “Why do you use Pokémon to attack people?” he said as he finally gathered the strength to sit up. Arc saw something then that would change his life.

Lin was being dragged away to a cave, Arc could hear her screams and cries but was powerless to do anything. “Hope you don’t mind, boy, but we’ll be borrowing this girl for a bit."

Back