Collecting Pokemon Card Value help

KBald77

Aspiring Trainer
He y'all.

I am going through my pokemon card collection and realizing I have some old 1st edition Base Set cards. Ive been trying to find there worth, but having trouble identifying everything. For example, I have a 1st Edition Holo Electode (Jungle Set), and as Ive researched Ive seen 3 different backgrounds it seems, ranging from $5 to $300. What sources can I use to figure out EXACTLY what I have? Im pretty lost.

Thanks everyone!

KBald77

Aspiring Trainer
To expand on the Electrode - I have Jungle Holo #2 Electrode, but the background doesnt match the background I see on every website for #2, it looks like the background for #18. It does indeed say #2 and 1st Edition, however. What is this?

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
To expand on the Electrode - I have Jungle Holo #2 Electrode, but the background doesnt match the background I see on every website for #2, it looks like the background for #18. It does indeed say #2 and 1st Edition, however. What is this?
Here, post a picture, and people could help a lot better. Generally, a good site for pricechecking is TCGPlayer. They have cards from lots of stores all over the US, so you can get a better generalization of It's value.

KBald77

Aspiring Trainer
Alright! Thanks for the tips ill check out TCGPlayer. Here are 2 Im trying to figure out....

Electrode: (Jungle Holo 1st Edition) - Trying to figure out the background/number (#2) variation since the background usually matches the #18 image.
open

[Edit: I dont think the images are working so I added the link:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pyOqHYRdHcKij5NpkQb0SY5VaUdnYlps]

Also - Before I get excited Im trying to figure out if this is what I think it is.

Charizard: (Base Set Shadowless) - I saw this could potentially be worth 1k, but I am FULLY aware (and expecting) that there is something about this making it less rare and worth less.
kO7RfR

[https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pyOqHYRdHcKij5NpkQb0SY5VaUdnYlps]

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
From what I can tell, there's no misprint. The artwork for #2/64 is different than #18/64, so the website you're checking must be wrong

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Oh, and before I forget, post a few pictures of the Zard. Front, back, and sides. In the light too, so we can see any scratches

KBald77

Aspiring Trainer
From what I can tell, there's no misprint. The artwork for #2/64 is different than #18/64, so the website you're checking must be wrong

Just to confirm - from what I've seen (Using TGC) Here are the 2 possible Electrodes

#2 Here

and #18 Here

From what I am seeing, my Electrode matches #18 Artwork but is numbered as #2. This is what I can't figure out.

Oh, and before I forget, post a few pictures of the Zard. Front, back, and sides. In the light too, so we can see any scratches

For Zard - here's a string of Photos with better light. Some wearing on the corners but... I guess it really is that rare of a card and I identified it correctly? I'll see what the condition is...

From Front
Front Angle 1
Front Angle 2
Front Side 1
Front Side 2
Front Side 3
Back Side 1
Back Side 2
Back Side 3

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
All of the Electrode numbered 18/64 that are first edition have the same art as the Electrode from EVO. The non-1st edition ones have the same art as 2/64. Your Electrode is correct. Actually, were you referring to the holo pattern? That could be the miscommunication here. But anyway, as for the Zard... I'd be a little concerned about that edgewear on the back, since huge collector's cards like this drop in price fast from imperfections. But for the card's age, it isn't bad. And the front LOOKED amazing. From what I could tell, it was clean with little or no notable scratches, and the Card itself is barely warped, which some collector's don't mind too much, depending on how warped. This Charizard is probably gradeable, so if you know someone with a PSA membership, ask them to send it off. It don't come back an 8 or 9, but if It's above a 5, It's probably sellable.

KBald77

Aspiring Trainer
All of the Electrode numbered 18/64 that are first edition have the same art as the Electrode from EVO. The non-1st edition ones have the same art as 2/64. Your Electrode is correct. Actually, were you referring to the holo pattern? That could be the miscommunication here. But anyway, as for the Zard... I'd be a little concerned about that edgewear on the back, since huge collector's cards like this drop in price fast from imperfections. But for the card's age, it isn't bad. And the front LOOKED amazing. From what I could tell, it was clean with little or no notable scratches, and the Card itself is barely warped, which some collector's don't mind too much, depending on how warped. This Charizard is probably gradeable, so if you know someone with a PSA membership, ask them to send it off. It don't come back an 8 or 9, but if It's above a 5, It's probably sellable.

Thanks for the help on that - Ill have to figure out how to send some of this stuff off to PSA for rating once I go through it. There is much more.

And yes - I meant the Holo background in the art was not matching the number. The artwork is the same on each for Electrode, but the Holo I see for #18 is on my #2. Hopefully that clears that up.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Thanks for the help on that - Ill have to figure out how to send some of this stuff off to PSA for rating once I go through it. There is much more.

And yes - I meant the Holo background in the art was not matching the number. The artwork is the same on each for Electrode, but the Holo I see for #18 is on my #2. Hopefully that clears that up.
Oh okay, I understand now. I'm not seeing any of those on the market, current or past. The Electrode has visible scratches and eyewear, so sending it off would not fetch it a high grade. What it would do however, is have it officially appraised as a misprint, so the value of it would definitely shoot up. You found a goldmine, huh? Hope you found some other potentially valuable stuff.

KBald77

Aspiring Trainer
Oh okay, I understand now. I'm not seeing any of those on the market, current or past. The Electrode has visible scratches and eyewear, so sending it off would not fetch it a high grade. What it would do however, is have it officially appraised as a misprint, so the value of it would definitely shoot up. You found a goldmine, huh? Hope you found some other potentially valuable stuff.
Appreciate the help!

KBald77

Aspiring Trainer
Last Thing while Ive been bugging you! Any general rules about what I SHOULD send to PSA? Im not sure when that is called for and when to just sell something for a value on TGC.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Last Thing while Ive been bugging you! Any general rules about what I SHOULD send to PSA? Im not sure when that is called for and when to just sell something for a value on TGC.
Usually the only things you want to send to PSA are either really rare cards, like rare misprint, old shining cards, or old Charizard cards, or cards that you know will get a 9 or 10.

FrostyLily

ニャンパス~ (she/her)
All first edition jungle holo electrode I believe were printed with the base set picture instead of the jungle art.

Mario W

Aspiring Trainer
#2 in the set was the holo card. #18 was the non holo. Back in the first couple sets, the holo rare and non holo rare were 2 different cards in the set

In the 2 electrode pics you posted, the reason why hhe background art is different, is that one depicts a holo background

Mario W

Aspiring Trainer
In the B/J/F sets, the first cards in the set were the rarest. So in Jungle, the first cards listed are Holo Clefable, Holo Electrode, Holo Flareon, etc...there were 16 holos in jungle, then they started the same list in non holos @ #17

Funny how its backwards now, all of the secret rare cards are at the end of the lists now

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
In the B/J/F sets, the first cards in the set were the rarest. So in Jungle, the first cards listed are Holo Clefable, Holo Electrode, Holo Flareon, etc...there were 16 holos in jungle, then they started the same list in non holos @ #17

Funny how its backwards now, all of the secret rare cards are at the end of the lists now

Secret Rares have always been at the end of the set. Dark Raichu in Team Rocket being the oldest example. And actually, come to think of it, they kind of have to to be called a Secret Rare.