Strategy PokeBeach's Official Sixth Generation Ban List (OU)

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member
Banned Pokemon (OU):

Aegislash
Arceus
Blaziken
Darkrai
Deoxys-N
Deoxys-A
Deoxys-D
Deoxys-S
Dialga
Genesect
Giratina
Giratina-O
Greninja
Groudon
Ho-oh
Hoopa-U
Kyogre
Kyurem-W
Landorus-I
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Shaymin-S
Xerneas
Yveltal
Zekrom

Banned Pokemon (Ubers):

Mega Rayquaza

Banned Items:

Gengarite
Kangaskhanite
Lucarionite
Mawilite
Salamencite
Sablenite
Soul Dew

Banned Abilities:

Moody
Shadow Tag
All Unreleased Hidden Abilities

Banned Moves:

Swagger

Complex Bans/Clauses (Ubers included):

- Any moveset that is capable of intentionally causing an endless battle is banned, e.g. a Pokémon may not carry Recycle and a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Recover.
- A Pokémon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold.
- Only one Pokémon may be asleep on the opponent's team at a time, excluding self-induced sleep.
- A team cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number.

Complex Bans/Clauses (Ubers excluded):

- Limit of 1 Baton Pass user; user must not have both a way to boost Speed and a way to boost other stats
- Double Team and Minimize are not allowed.

Anything in this ban list can not be used in PB XY tournaments, official or not, unless the rules state otherwise. This post will be amended over the future as other aspects of the metagame are tested and banned. In the meantime, feel free to use this thread for discussion of the ban list.

To find the 5th generation ban list, please click here.

Last edited:
RE: PokéBeach's Official XY Ban List

Have any Mega Stones been banned yet or are they still testing those? Gengarite comes to mind...

No, but you can argue that Blazikenite is banned by association with Blaziken. Other than that, all Mega Stones are allowed. There is talk about doing something with Gengarite. When the time comes, we'll follow whatever Smogon's official decision is on that Mega Stone.

I think we can all agree that Mega Kang and Mega Gengar will inevitably be banned. Shall we just jump the gun on those?

The item Soul Dew is banned even though it has no use on anyone except Latias and Latios. There's no reason we can't do the same with Gengarite or any other Mega Stone. It is literally the exact same situation (an exclusive held item that makes the Pokemon undesirable for the metagame).

Also, evasion is banned? I thought it was unbanned.

Whats wrong with snow cloak? Evasion is part of battle. You dont go into battle and stand there getting punched in the face without trying to avoid it! Now i cant use my favourite glaceon... Sniff... :(

Misses can change the outcome of a match. It brings unnecessary luck into the competitive world. Imagine your opponent has a Garchomp at +6 Attack. You do Ice Shard and it misses because of Sand Veil. That can make it so instead of being able to defeat the Pokemon, you lose to it.

What does everyone think about Talonflame? Gale Wings with prio is way more OP than MGengar and MKhan (unless it sucker punches) in terms of how many Pokémon Talonflame can OHKO in a row is higher than both listed above. I don't think MKhan will go anywhere but high OU, Aegislash checks MKhan easily..

Talonflame can be checked but on a team using hazards it will roll over EVERYTHING until it recoil KOs itself. SR is easier to rid of so nothing can really stop it but it's recoil.

I don't understand how Talonflame is broken. Could you elaborate?

unsheathed said:
No, but you can argue that Blazikenite is banned by association with Blaziken. Other than that, all Mega Stones are allowed. There is talk about doing something with Gengarite. When the time comes, we'll follow whatever Smogon's official decision is on that Mega Stone.

That's what I thought; thanks for letting me know.

PMJ said:
I don't understand how Talonflame is broken. Could you elaborate?

Because after it gets up SD (which is easy) you pretty much OHKO 3-4 Pokémon before it recoils itself. Talonflame is a peg above Gengar. MGengar gets 2 KOs if lucky, one only being by Destiny bond. Trying to check Talonflame after an SD sucks. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have one of the highest speeds of Gen 6 and Pokémon in general. You take that + Gale Wings and unless you run a LBer with scarf or Rock Slider you'll pretty much be ran over. Add on top if you run Leech Seed next to it, that's longer Talonflame survives..

bacon said:
I think we can all agree that Mega Kang and Mega Gengar will inevitably be banned. Shall we just jump the gun on those?

No, I'd rather keep things basic and only act when the ban is decided by Smogon. There were a few cases last generation where something seems really broken (Excadrill) but evades the ban two or three times. I don't want to decide on something when it might not even be banned or even suspect tested like Excadrill was last generation.

Speaking of which, I advise everyone to avoid saying "can we ban this or that?" Instead, try to ask a question that starts more discussion like "what does everyone think about this or that being suspected or banned in the future?" Just don't ask if I can ban something because it's not going to happen lol.

unsheathed said:
bacon said:

No, I'd rather keep things basic and only act when the ban is decided by Smogon. There were a few cases last generation where something seems really broken (Excadrill) but evades the ban two or three times. I don't want to decide on something when it might not even be banned or even suspect tested like Excadrill was last generation.

Speaking of which, I advise everyone to avoid saying "can we ban this or that?" Instead, try to ask a question that starts more discussion like "what does everyone think about this or that being suspected or banned in the future?" Just don't ask if I can ban something because it's not going to happen lol.

Edited my post for you.

Talonflame is certainly a threat to consider, however, it's not as menacing as you might think. Its Attack is a meager base 81, its defenses are low and recoil damage doesn't help. Plus, it has a crippling x4 weakness to SR, which pretty much means that you can't use it at all if it's up. It's also easy to OHKO it in the turn it tries to setup, unless it runs a more defensive variant. However, defensive variants aren't capable of OHKO'ing Garchomp at +2, and get easily eliminated by it. Yes, Talonflame is dangerous, but not Uber in my opinion.

Ice Jackal said:
Talonflame is certainly a threat to consider, however, it's not as menacing as you might think. Its Attack is a meager base 81, its defenses are low and recoil damage doesn't help. Plus, it has a crippling x4 weakness to SR, which pretty much means that you can't use it at all if it's up. It's also easy to OHKO it in the turn it tries to setup, unless it runs a more defensive variant. However, defensive variants aren't capable of OHKO'ing Garchomp at +2, and get easily eliminated by it. Yes, Talonflame is dangerous, but not Uber in my opinion.

I agree with you, but SR is used less then in pass gens, it gets easier to counter, 9 out of 10 teams I battle against use Talonflame, some throw on Choice Band and do extra damage. The 81 base attack doesn't apply when all you do is SD into Brave Bird/Blits. It's pretty much like Talonflame having a base 130 in attack. Without Gale Wings Talonflame would still be OU off its super high speed, only dropping to priority. With Gale Wings and a team to throw out and rid hazards. What's really stopping it from taking 3-4 KOs?

I still stand beside what I said before, if MGengar and MKhan get the boot then so does Talonflame, whom is more of a threat than both

Gengarite has been quickbanned on Smogon.

Link: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-ou-ban-of-gengarite.3494085/

Astra said:
Gengarite has been quickbanned on Smogon.

Link: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-ou-ban-of-gengarite.3494085/

tumblr_mg9dij46Nd1qfsp3io1_250.gif

I'm quite glad about this. It is honestly one of those things that's absolutely horrifying, and (effectively) unstoppable.

PokeChimpo said:
I agree with you, but SR is used less then in pass gens, it gets easier to counter, 9 out of 10 teams I battle against use Talonflame, some throw on Choice Band and do extra damage. The 81 base attack doesn't apply when all you do is SD into Brave Bird/Blits. It's pretty much like Talonflame having a base 130 in attack. Without Gale Wings Talonflame would still be OU off its super high speed, only dropping to priority. With Gale Wings and a team to throw out and rid hazards. What's really stopping it from taking 3-4 KOs?

I still stand beside what I said before, if MGengar and MKhan get the boot then so does Talonflame, whom is more of a threat than both

What's stopping it is that with the recoil it takes it can't KO more than two Pokemon without killing itself in the process. Its HP is also bad, after all.

Anyway, Gengarite is out, as many probably expected. Let's see what will happen to Kanghaskhanite.

Only 2? After SD depending on the team set you're facing you can KO 3 or 4.. It has happened to me.

As far as Smogon ban list, whoopy doo da, the only list that matters officially is the one set by Pokemon.com it'll be nice though battling smogon followers at the VGC.

PokeChimpo said:
As far as Smogon ban list, whoopy doo da, the only list that matters officially is the one set by Pokemon.com it'll be nice though battling smogon followers at the VGC.
Well, that all depends on what metagame you specialize in. Since the singles meta isn't officially supported, Smogon is the foremost authority on said meta, and most will tend to follow what's closest to official aka accepted.

I'm glad they banned Gengarite, as that nuisance broke the game more than Chandelure would have in BW. Next on the list by popular demand seems to be Kangaskhanite (or whatever it is), but I don't find it horrendously overpowered, just very tricky. Seems like it's teetering on very high OU, and now that it could jump in usage due to Gengarite's banning, yeah.

~AoH

Back