XY Pokémon VG General Discussion - Locked: Please Create A New Topic For Anything You'd Like To Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Raikou

Your friendly neighborhood Raikou fan!
Elite Member
Advanced Member
This thread will serve as a General Discussion Topic to talk about the contents of Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Think news, in-game features and discoveries, rumors, speculation, and anything else that is relevant to the games that does NOT have its own thread!

Keep in mind that we have separate threads for Questions and Answers and many other topics.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Pokémon X / Y General Discussion - Don't post topics that have their own thread!

*note: I changed the title since there is a high chance we'll get leaks in the 2 weeks before X and Y are released.*
Hi everyone
As we all know, with every new gen come rumours. Some are believable, some totally non-believable. X/Y are no different, and there are many rumours around the internet.
Here are a couple of 'official' rumours that people have been saying:

http://i.imgur.com/nx9kjtZ.jpg

“Due to the “world wide” release of Pokémon X/Y, pre-release information that at this time would usually be reserved for the Japanese branch of the Pokémon Company is now present among the localization departments of the other regions as well (such as NOA, where I am situated), and I have actually seen the full roster of new Pokémon as have quite a few people worldwide due to the difficulty regarding keeping everything under wraps. Thus, I can share a bit of preliminary information about new Pokémon appearing in X/Y.

More than 100 new Pokémon.
There are indeed new evolutions and pre-evolutions, most of them focused on Gen V Pokémon. However, a few older Pokémon, including Gen I classics, are getting surprising new developments.

No new types, but there are “Cross-bred” Pokémon introduced. Certain father/mother breeding pairs will result in a visually distinct child, who will be the mother’s species, but will, for example, have a pattern reminiscent of its father or a slightly altered color scheme. This is basically the new Gender Difference and is simply an aesthetic bonus, nothing extreme and only certain pairings result in this…the Pokemon is still considered the species of its mother, it’s not a new species. One example I can give is that it is possible to get certain Pokemon sporting Pikachu’s red cheeks. [May be interesting but what about chain-bred mons?]

The Starters become Grass/Steel, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Electric. They’re inspired by various European-centric archetypes…Chespin becomes a knight with chestnut armor, Fennekin a wizard with a majestic fur cloak, and Froakie a Nordic Viking with a thunder-cloud mullet/beard combo. [These I can kind of see, and Froakie would be awesome if it became Water/Electric]

Xerneas is Ice/Steel, and Yveltal is Fire/Dark. They have a unique ability where they can shift types with each other, Xerneas becoming red and Fire/Steel, and Yveltal becoming blue and Ice/Dark. Supposedly, Game Freak chose the typings in part due to members of the team being fans of R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire, among other reasons.[The ability sounds odd, and Yveltal's typing has been speculated as Fire/Dark by a couple of people, but Xerneas doesn't have anything in common with Ice-types other than it's blue color.]

Normal: Kendama-based Pokémon. Its main body rides atop a giant ball. [interesting basis, if turns out to be true could be ok]
Grass: A black-bear whose body is made of berries. [This could either look good or rubbish]
Fire: Pinata Bull with horns that are torches.[This is probably one of my more favourite rumours]
Water: Sea-bird. Looks like a socialite due to a feather that looks like an ascot. [Could work as the obligitory water/flying type]
Electric: A poodle whose fluffy-parts are statically-charged fur. [Kinda makes sense as poodles are kinda French and this game could be taking place in PokeFrance]
Bug: Millipede, besides the head its long body is made of bubbles [as long as it has good stats, I'm happy, we need a good water/bug type]
Flying: A peacock with a tail that’s a harp. hmm... could be ok
Steel: A female-like Pokémon whose long hair is made of long, steel cables. [could be good or bad]
Rock: A rock-based snail, its got a bell for a shell, and its body looks like a cathedral.[sounds kind of odd]
Ground: An elephant whose body is covered in hardened mud-armor, more realistic looking than Donphan.[we already have a ground elephant, but could be ok]
Psychic: An “Arabian” Pokemon wrapped in a brightly-colored carpet clothing.[could be interesting, however could have the possibility of being slightly controversial]
Dark: Raccoon. Its tail serves as a burglar sack, and it’s got a stylish black mask.[Raccoons are awesome, I can envision one as a dark type easily]
Poison: Little purple lizard, it swings its (very large) broken tail around like a huge club. [I can kind of see it turning out similar to the Nido's, not necessarily a bad thing though]
Fighting: A very weird Pokémon who resembles a giant, living sneaker. Cooler looking than it sounds. [... what? is all I have to say about this.]
Ice: A Snowman with coal on its head looking like the incense marks Shaolin Monks have.[snowman Pokemon could either look nice or crap.]
Ghost: A kasa-obake (umbrella ghost) that’s brightly colored and “fancy” looking. [umbrella ghost could actually be decent]
Dragon: A Kirin that looks like a dragonic-unicorn.” [Dragon-unicorn? Would be awesome]

edit: added my opinions in bold
So... discuss these rumours and post anymore you may come across :)

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Pokemon X/Y rumours

Hmm I heard a rumor that there were only 99 new Pokémon and 30 of them were prevos/evos.

With the new breeding thing, if you breed two Pokémon of different species and the father is shiny, will the offspring be the shiny colours or the normal colours of the fathers species?

BTW, why would there need to be new evos/prevos for 5th Gen mon? The only Pokémon I can think of that could use them are Sawk, Throh, maybe Audino and Durant and Heatmor.

Ug, I hope this is all fake, as I really don't want the frog to be Bulky.
BTW, we already have: Millipede, Elephant and Raccoon Pokémon.

Pell_

Aspire to show up.
Re: Pokemon X/Y rumours

Gawd. If I start on this thread and why most of it will not happen, I'll be here for months...

Xerneas is NOT Ice/Steel.

If it is, going to cut the word Xerneas into my leg as a reminder of GameFreak's stupidity.

pokemine breh

Aspiring Trainer

PellOfTheTundra said:
Gawd. If I start on this thread and why most of it will not happen, I'll be here for months...

Xerneas is NOT Ice/Steel.

If it is, going to cut the word Xerneas into my leg as a reminder of GameFreak's stupidity.

Yea I totally agree! And if Yveltal is Fire/Dark as well! I mean, I'm back and forth on a lot of this stuff, even if it isn't true, but I would lose a lot of faith in GameFreak if they did that.

I don't know about the whole Trainer Level and Bond Level thing. That's really complex and would make things a lot more confusing for Pokemon's main target audience, the children. Don't get me wrong it sounds really interesting, and I wouldn't mind it, but I wouldn't think GameFreak would do something as complex as that in Pokemon X and Y.

pokemeister899

VM if you want to play ACNL with me!

I hope that some of these rumors aren't real, although the time travel idea sounds cool.

Rally

Aspiring Trainer

The trainer level idea seems cool. I mean, who doesn't like presents when it's not a holiday!? Adding the compatibility thing makes it more like Pokemon Conquest, which was actually pretty fun.

Gr8Ampharos

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.

I think it's a little strange how you wouldn't be able to change your name from Jean/Jane

I really like the Idea of the ATM and the Idea of the Starter Pokemon, but a lot of this seems off

Pell_

Aspire to show up.

No name customization is something we've had rumored in every game since RSE, so let's rule that out.

Cross Breeding is pointless and requires too much memory that the 3ds does not contain.

The typeshift on the legendaries is a bad and, once again, memory and time consuming gimmick.

As for the type legendary things at the bottom... No.

Also, again, I swear to science, if Yveltal is Fire/Dark or Xerneas is Ice/Steel, I will lose all hope in GameFreak's ability to design, which I do hold in extremely high regard right now.

Pokequaza

Aspiring Trainer

PellOfTheTundra said:
No name customization is something we've had rumored in every game since RSE, so let's rule that out.

Cross Breeding is pointless and requires too much memory that the 3ds does not contain.

The typeshift on the legendaries is a bad and, once again, memory and time consuming gimmick.

Also, again, I swear to science, if Yveltal is Fire/Dark or Xerneas is Ice/Steel, I will lose all hope in GameFreak's ability to design, which I do hold in extremely high regard right now.

The 3DS has enough memory, 128 MB, compared to the 16 MB the DSi had. With enough storage power and a good processor the 3DS can handle it fine.

Pokémon games have always been full of 'pointless' things, I remember a Spinda having over four billion 'pointless' sprites stored in the game, and that was on the GameBoy Advance. But as we have learned from the previous generations, GameFreak loves 'pointless' memory consuming details, because that is what makes the games so popular and likable.

No identification, no source, no nothing, and he's getting attention? Well, I understand why (we need something to chew on while we wait for more news), but still. This guy has no more credibility than I do.

Supposedly, Game Freak chose the typings in part due to members of the team being fans of R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire, among other reasons.

orly

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member

This guy is only getting credibility because:

1) He uses proper s/g in his post
2) He offers a legitimate-sounding reason why he has inside information
3) The things he says are crazy, but not so crazy that they're unbelievable.

Don't put any stock in what you hear from unofficial sources. Everyone and their dad can type up a pretty post and pretend to have inside info.

Pell_

Aspire to show up.
Re: RE: Pokemon X/Y rumours

Pokequaza said:
PellOfTheTundra said:

The 3DS has enough memory, 128 MB, compared to the 16 MB the DSi had. With enough storage power and a good processor the 3DS can handle it fine.

Pokémon games have always been full of 'pointless' things, I remember a Spinda having over four billion 'pointless' sprites stored in the game, and that was on the GameBoy Advance. But as we have learned from the previous generations, GameFreak loves 'pointless' memory consuming details, because that is what makes the games so popular and likable.

Let us assume here that we are up to 820, a good number to speculate.

820 x 819

That's how many combinations that has.

Now, with these pointless, memory consuming things, remember that these are not sprites. These are 3d models, which take up significantly more space than sprites. Sprites take up such a minuscule amount of space that BILLIONS of them do not even dent a MB. With 3d models, as well as every move effect, there is MUCH more memory consumed. Adding in 671,580 pointless 3d models is not exactly my idea of a fun time. As I said, you must remember that EVERYTHING in 3D takes up more space.

PMJ said:
This guy is only getting credibility because:

1) He uses proper s/g in his post
2) He offers a legitimate-sounding reason why he has inside information
3) The things he says are crazy, but not so crazy that they're unbelievable.

Don't put any stock in what you hear from unofficial sources. Everyone and their dad can type up a pretty post and pretend to have inside info.

You mean like how I said that Half Life 1 is actually Half Life 3?

Pokequaza

Aspiring Trainer

PellOfTheTundra said:
Pokequaza said:

Let us assume here that we are up to 820, a good number to speculate.

820 x 819

That's how many combinations that has.

Now, with these pointless, memory consuming things, remember that these are not sprites. These are 3d models, which take up significantly more space than sprites. Sprites take up such a minuscule amount of space that BILLIONS of them do not even dent a MB. With 3d models, as well as every move effect, there is MUCH more memory consumed. Adding in 671,580 pointless 3d models is not exactly my idea of a fun time. As I said, you must remember that EVERYTHING in 3D takes up more space.

It would actually be something like:

([insert number of evolution lines that are able to breed]-1)! = [total amount of possible cross-breds]

Which would be even higher than 600,000.

However remember the rumor said:

Paddy185 said:
No new types, but there are “Cross-bred” Pokémon introduced. Certain father/mother breeding pairs will result in a visually distinct child, who will be the mother’s species, but will, for example, have a pattern reminiscent of its father or a slightly altered color scheme.

Nobody said that all Pokémon could interbreed, just a few species. I am not trying to argue that this information is true, but a few cross-bred species is certainly possible. All Pokémon being able to interbreed is indeed impossible, I agree on that, however that is not what the source said.

Pell_

Aspire to show up.

You are correct.

But honestly... What is the point? Wouldn't they rather work on the actual game rather than a stupid aesthetic mechanic? They already have to deal with a new medium for visuals, why make it pointlessly harder. No one, and I repeat, NO ONE, should want that. The fact that people do sickens me.

Pokequaza

Aspiring Trainer

PellOfTheTundra said:
You are correct.

But honestly... What is the point? Wouldn't they rather work on the actual game rather than a stupid aesthetic mechanic? They already have to deal with a new medium for visuals, why make it pointlessly harder. No one, and I repeat, NO ONE, should want that. The fact that people do sickens me.

I do not know. However, knowing GameFreak, they will add various new mechanics no matter what. Perhaps it was not as difficult as they thought it would have been, had some spare time, and threw some other ideas into the game as well.

Pell_

Aspire to show up.

I still do not buy it. If they actually do this, I'm heading to Japan with a Kaba Kick and telling them they're all incompetent, while using the Kaba Kick to hit their faces/genitalia.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer

Pokequaza said:
PellOfTheTundra said:
You are correct.

I do not know. However, knowing GameFreak, they will add various new mechanics no matter what. Perhaps it was not as difficult as they thought it would have been, had some spare time, and threw some other ideas into the game as well.

Remember when GF said Zoroa would have a unique method of evolving to Zoroark? Remember in Black and White when NPCs said that Reshiram and Zekrom were once one being? Remember thinking Alomomola evolved from Luvdisc? Remember when Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD were known as the first full 3D Pokémon RPGs?

Things change.
I really don't think GF will change much more than the game being in 3D.

Pell_

Aspire to show up.

Me neither.

Also, there is evidence to support that Reshi and Zek split from the same being, as they can easily combine with Kyurem, the Pokémon formed when the two split. The boundary Pokémon.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer

PellOfTheTundra said:
Me neither.

Also, there is evidence to support that Reshi and Zek split from the same being, as they can easily combine with Kyurem, the Pokémon formed when the two split. The boundary Pokémon.

But they can't BOTH combine into Kyurem at the same time. I know in the games there were only two DNA Splicers made (One to fuse and one to defuse), but they even show Kyurem go back and fourth between forms in the Animé.

Status
Not open for further replies.