Pokemon Pokémon Holograms

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
It's an idea i've been thinking about for a long time. Wouldn't it be really cool if you could purchase a Pokeball that would contain a 3D hologram of a Pokemon that you could train, evolve and battle with other people? With all the impressive technology today I don't think it would be impossible to achieve this.

- Start at the bottom with a not fully evolved Pokemon (or those who don't have an evolution)
- Gain XP by battling other people's Pokemon
- The possibility of trading Pokemon with others
- Be able to buy TM's and other items at GameStop for example ^-^
=sort of a real life Pokemon game :3

Anyone else been thinking about it?

:p

RE: Pokemon Holograms

Id go even further and ask the question:
"could pokemon games be done so real that you couldn't tell they're not actually alive in front of you?"

Take this ted talk for example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ33ixP9QG0

So okay, a physical pixel...an orb thats liberated from space and time. "so what?" you might say.
But with the least bit of imagination, give this prototype of an idea a decade or two, and it would have become part of an interactive technology present everywhere in daily-life. The pixel would be as small as biological cells, could take any form, color, integrate with other pixels as commanded, produce chemicals (for things like odors), make sounds (or make shapes and release energy to produce desired sound lol) etc.

(I realize this would be foremost amazing in actually relevant things on this planet instead of entertainment, but since this place is about pokemon)
Instead of looking at 3d polygons on a small screen, your pokemon would materialize out of billions of hard pixels and behave like living creatures.

So, they don't need to be holograms even, they can actually be physical matter that interacts with the rest of the world.

Heck yeah.

I used to always think about this with other games when I was younger. I think it would be sick to have holograms, or better, actual materialization as Mitja pointed out. I can't see it happening soon, but if the franchise is still expanding a decade from now I certainly don't see why not!

DMx001_Holographic_technology.jpg

...yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, I could totally see this.

This would be so cool. Imagine having "battles" with actual 3D holograms. It would be like you're in the movie. I don't think I'll live long enough for this kind of technology to be used for Pokémon. :p

Technology now-a-days is developing at a rapid phase. For all we know, we might've perfected holograms by next year! This would be really cool, though. c:

If it was actual matter and not holograms you would need arenas and you wouldn't be able to interact with the pokemon everywhere necessarily (unless that's where a training handheld comes in). I like what OP said about having an actual ball. Wouldn't it be incredible to throw a pokeball that when it hits the ground becomes a platform where the hologram is displayed?
bahhh the possibilities.

But imagine the AI coding... oo

I don't think it's a matter of not having the technology for holograms, but more the fact that the equipment would be too expensive for the product to go very far. The further we get into the future, the more developers will find cheaper ways of bringing this kind of stuff to consumers. Actual materialization on the other hand is probably leagues away in both respects.

youtube video of Pokemon Tretta Lab
This isn't holograms, but it does appear to be something like the self contained pokemon devices.
I have no idea what exactly it is though.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the-life-sized-interactive-hologram-isnt-sci-fi-anymore
;)
It's true that it may be a while before this hologram thing happens but not as long as it seems. We have already developed hologram technology. Though before holograme pokeballs happen, I think we would have pokemon google glasses where you could see pokemon in the area around you. Check out microsoft's idea in the link too.

Mitja said:
So okay, a physical pixel...an orb thats liberated from space and time. "so what?" you might say.
But with the least bit of imagination, give this prototype of an idea a decade or two, and it would have become part of an interactive technology present everywhere in daily-life. The pixel would be as small as biological cells, could take any form, color, integrate with other pixels as commanded, produce chemicals (for things like odors), make sounds (or make shapes and release energy to produce desired sound lol) etc.

I know this is relatively off topic, but that would actually be terrifying to me. As much as I'd want pokemon to be real, I know that that would be kind of a bad thing. *Shudders at the thought of a few specific comics she's read.* Though, a holographic pokemon game would still be cool, I imagine expensive to manufacture, but cool.

Back