Pokemon Pokémon Designs You Dislike?

RE: Which Pokémon Designs Don't You Like? Why?

Lol'd at this: "I just feel like an iceberg Pokemon would looked cooler than this"

But anyway, I feel like, as I have mentioned in another thread, the ball was dropped when designing Quilladin. The ball shape and awkward look just throw me off, and I don't even want to imagine how the thing walks at all. It is a very unattractive design over all, just like Chesnaught. And I'm not even going to bring up the disappointment that was Swampert after seeing the cuteness that is Mudkip...

MtheW said:
Lol'd at this: "I just feel like an iceberg Pokemon would looked cooler than this"

But anyway, I feel like, as I have mentioned in another thread, the ball was dropped when designing Quilladin. The ball shape and awkward look just throw me off, and I don't even want to imagine how the thing walks at all. It is a very unattractive design over all, just like Chesnaught. And I'm not even going to bring up the disappointment that was Swampert after seeing the cuteness that is Mudkip...

Avalugg should've had a layered upper half to resemble a shell - then I'd be content with it.

On Quilladin, this was more like dropping expectations. After Chespin's nerd approach, Quilladin looks like a living walnut with a face from Ed, Edd and Eddy photoshopped on it. I was very depressed with this and was really hoping for a Grovyle-like form. Instead, we get Pokémon-fied Arnold from the Magic School Bus.

As for my all-time most awkward, that honor goes to Vanilluxe. I have no idea why any two organisms would ever want to be conjoined twins that melt in nine months of the year and are eaten by trainers, one of which even has a straw in its head. They are smiling too. >.< We really shouldn't have considered that an ice cream cone line would work out - not only does it illustrate the lack of ideas nowadays, but the generally stupidity the concepts of Vanilluxe and its line combine to show is obscene.

Which Pokémon Designs Don't You Like? Why?

AoH said:
MtheW said:

Avalugg should've had a layered upper half to resemble a shell - then I'd be content with it.

On Quilladin, this was more like dropping expectations. After Chespin's nerd approach, Quilladin looks like a living walnut with a face from Ed, Edd and Eddy photoshopped on it. I was very depressed with this and was really hoping for a Grovyle-like form. Instead, we get Pokémon-fied Arnold from the Magic School Bus.

As for my all-time most awkward, that honor goes to Vanilluxe. I have no idea why any two organisms would ever want to be conjoined twins that melt in nine months of the year and are eaten by trainers, one of which even has a straw in its head. They are smiling too. >.< We really shouldn't have considered that an ice cream cone line would work out - not only does it illustrate the lack of ideas nowadays, but the generally stupidity the concepts of Vanilluxe and its line combine to show is obscene.

Soo a completely new idea that is unique in the Pokemon world is uncreative?
And they aren't even ice cream. They're icicles which have snow on top, but look like an ice cream.
And for the melting thing, you could argue that for lots of Ice types. (Avalugg and Cryogonal come to mind)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I love Gardevoir! and I love it's mega evolution too!
But Mega Gardevoir's design is just.......ehh.
I don't like how it's 'skirt' puffs out.

I really do not like Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Magnezone, Electivire and Magmortar. They all look like they just wanted to make fatter, robot versions of the other pokemon.

To be specific, I don't like Lickilicky's tongue, it's looks derpy, also he's fatter and a different shade of pink/yellow
Tangrowth doesn't look like a mysterious creature wrapped in vines, but rather a large, fat creature with some weird hair disease, also the arms.
Magnezone looks like a giant robot rather then Magnemites all together
Electivire doesn't even look like it's related to Electabuzz, with red eyes and a different shade of yellow
Magmortar is the same as the above

I don't mind if they change a Pokemon's color in the evolution stage although changing the shade of a color doesn't make sense. All of these Pokemon including Rhyperior and Togekiss look like they were trying to take simple designs from Gen 1 and make more convoluted designs that was common in later generations.

To be honest all of these look like quick mega designs of Pokemon from the first gen that didn't have evolutions, but in reality they just look fatter. It seems the designs for evolutions for Gen 1 Pokemon in Gen 2 was more thoughtout with Blissey, Steelix and Scizor.

Another line I do not like is Litleo and Pyroar, to me the pokemon look like a childrens fake design of a pokemon you'd see on Deviantart. Or maybe even a cgi version drawn in 2d.

I'll add another one to the list: Greninja. I don't like the legs' and arms' white bubbles that look like protection pads, I hate seeing that pale yellow and the worst - its head: the triangular ears are way too unnatural, I can't understand what the hell are those blue stripes between the ears and that "horn blade", above its eyes more triangles (are Pokémon now meant to teach children about shapes?) and then THE TONGUE wrapped around whose only explanantion I can come up is that it most be some sort of joke or hint at "french kisses" and the amount of tongue "required".
Frogadier has an ugly head but it's acceptable and it still has an amazing bubble scarf and no yellow to be seen but Greninja is WAY too much.

Chaos Jackal said:
Beedrill indeed is more of a wasp than a bee. Vespiquen, however, isn't a wasp queen. It's a combination of a queen bee and a honeycomb. Bee queens are larger and more intimidating than bees.

Vespidae is the name for the family of wasps. Granted, there are like 30 other families for wasps, but Vespidae in particular are mainly the social wasps. Apidae would be the bees.

Therefore, the name Vespiqueen does imply wasps. Also, they dont make honey, which the Pokemon is clearly inspired by. The names don't always have to match exacly, though. And there is always a little creative liscense to combine multiple species. Heck, Eevee is supposed to be a fox, but all of its evolutions keep getting more and more feline (which I really hate). And Flygon, which is not a dragonfly, takes inspiration from dragonflies to get the typing it has.

I don't like Chesnaught. It just looks like a hot mess, those arms with little stubby finger claws baffles me on how it would feed. Quilladin is sort of a adorable but looks really goofy and not like a Pokemon like at all. I got used to Braixen and Frogadier but never to that. Delphox I go back and forth with. It looks good in cards, and the anime, but not so much in the game and Sugimori art. The "dress" looks really inflated and it makes the head look small at times.

Bidoof and Bibarel are like in my top 10 most hated designs. It was like someone thought "Hey I wanna make a funny Pokemon hyuck!" and I never got the joke. The cry sounds idiotic, and they both don't even look like Pokemon. They are a waste of time catch, and obnoxious to pull in cards even if Bibaral is not a rare card most of the time.

The three Elemental monkeys. They feel like a cut and paste and redesign to increase the dex numbers for Gen V. They all look the same, but just have different expression and hairstyles. Their evolutions just take that to the next level with stupider haircuts and fashion sense. It is extremely aggravating to pull them as they are almost always made a Rare in a set. Even worse to find as a shiny, but luckily that has never happened to me. What made me hate them on a new level though, is the fact that almost everyone is wondertrading them. Another thing that bothered me is how weak they look, and their stats are pretty bad too, so there's no saving them yet the strongest trainer in Unova, a guy who works for Gamefreak, uses all 3 of them. Gamefreak is damn proud of those lame monkeys. They were easy to come up with, easy to design, and best of all, they filled up 6 slots of the Pokedex for our 150 new Unova Pokemon!

Another one I really didn't like was Klang and Klinklang. Klink was intersting at first despite how stupid it looked but the evolutions just make it so much more worse. It just gets bigger and then it gets some ring around. It took a lot of brains to come up with that concept. Be proud of it. There's some good artwork for it in the TCG but the entire design just breathes laziness and dissapointment.

I have never been found of Thundurus, Tornadus or Landorus. They're all copy and paste as well just like those monkey. The major differences is just the tails, the amount of horns each guy has, and the color and hairstyle. Ingenious. The therian formes have better inspiration behind them and they don't look alike anymore but now they just look plain silly. Especially Landorus who just looks like an overgrown kitty with a classical musician/composer's hairstyle and mustache.

...there's a lot of Pokemon from Gen 5 that I don't like... But there would be too much detail to cover.

RE: Worst Pokemon Designs?

It is isnt it I found one and turned my ds off and had bad dreams for the rest of the week
Mr.MIME horde that is

RE: Which Pokémon Designs You Don't Like? Why?

Gurdurr- Because he's not cute at all and I found a wild shiny one. I was happy to find a shiny but I don't like him, it's bittersweet. In his next form he reminds me of an old man.
Elemental Monkeys- I don't like monkeys and these things looks like they should be teaching preschoolers on PBS
Jynx- It's Nicki Minaj
Gothitelle- It's Jynx's goth sister.
Avalugg- I feel like he looks odd because he's flat on top
Barbaracle- This thing just looks stupid, it has a hand for a head

My reasoning is as simple as I just don't like them. There are a lot of Pokemon that I don't care for but I really hate these.

1. Greninja - I love Froakie a lot , but when it come to Greninja . I know ninja is something cool , but Greninja is so ugly . It's lose the bubble around its neck (and bubble is Froakie signature ) . It's have tongue warp around its neck , so disgusting .

2. Chesnaught - It's look like Buzz Lightyear .

3. Delphox - pretend to be a witch . Witch and fox can't get along . The design is horrible .

evilpacman said:
Chaos Jackal said:
Beedrill indeed is more of a wasp than a bee. Vespiquen, however, isn't a wasp queen. It's a combination of a queen bee and a honeycomb. Bee queens are larger and more intimidating than bees.

Vespidae is the name for the family of wasps. Granted, there are like 30 other families for wasps, but Vespidae in particular are mainly the social wasps. Apidae would be the bees.

Therefore, the name Vespiqueen does imply wasps. Also, they dont make honey, which the Pokemon is clearly inspired by. The names don't always have to match exacly, though. And there is always a little creative liscense to combine multiple species. Heck, Eevee is supposed to be a fox, but all of its evolutions keep getting more and more feline (which I really hate). And Flygon, which is not a dragonfly, takes inspiration from dragonflies to get the typing it has.
If it helps at all, Vespiquen's japanese name is Beequeen.

Anyway, I personally dislike Mega Scizor's design, because it looks too much like a Kamen rider, or power ranger, and not enough like an insect.
Also Gardevoir. Too human, too elegant. xD
That's all.

Garbador.
It's a mess, it's awful to look at.

Jynx, because it's just...immensely unattractive.

I also never cared for Nosepass. Or Probopass.
At all. They looked like creepy stalkers to me.

And, can we talk about Toxicroak? It's gross.

Pangoro, because of its eyes.
Grimer & Muk, because of their design, which I find boring
Mr. Mime, but only because of its XY sprites, which is creepy.
Mega Mewtwo X, because I find it ugly
Mega Garchomp, same reason as Mega Mewtwo X
Mega Pinsir, same as the above

That's about it

RE: Which Pokémon designs you don't like and why?

I do not like these pokemon designs

1. Druddigon - It looks like a Digimon.

2. Pyroar - It looks like a design someone doodled, threw in the trash but missed, a custodian came by and set it on someones desk, someone else made it into a Pokemon.

3. Litleo - Just poorly drawn

4. Magnezone, Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Electivire, Magmortar - Someone went a little haywire with the Gen 1 evolutions, these look like the gen 1 Pokemon, but Michael Bay's versions...

5. Hawlucha - Don't like the design at all.

6. Also can I just mention Buneary and Bunnelby, also Pidove, Fletchling, Starly, Taillow. And the other Pokemon that are all pretty much the same thing.

Druddigon's looks make me think of how sandpaper feels, but I do like its shiny a lot because it reminds me of Ireland. (its colors are those of the Irish flag)
Chimchar brings to mind preschool age kids who laugh at the word "poop". Infernape used to bring to mind someone lying in a hospital bed covered in dried bodily fluids, but now it makes me think of the clown car that Bowser and Boswer Jr. use in the Mario games, which is a much more pleasant image.
My least favorite design wise is Vullaby. Looking at it makes me think of promiscuous old ladies smoking cigarettes in a dilapidated apartment building. There's nothing wrong with being that, it's just not a very pleasant mental image.

Here's a few Pokemon designs I don't like very much.

Litleo - It just seems WAY too basic, in the sense that a 5 year old could have came up with it (plus I hate the little pixelated version of it you see when it's in your PC or party).

Mr.Mime - H..how even was this thing approved for being a Pokemon..? Like, I actually would love to ask the man who came up with this concept PERSONALLY why he thought this thing would make a good Pokemon, Mr.Mime is just a creepy little clown demon.

Hypno - Ever seen creepy fan-art of this guy? Yeah, it'll ruin him for ya.

Loudred - Not his pre-evolution or his evolution, just Loudred. He just looks like a complete dick of a guy, like someone who talks WAY too loudly in every situation, while also have no respect for personal space or common courtesy.

Castform - I like the idea behind Castform, but I feel like it could have been executed much better.

Avalugg - I really want to love this guy, but I hate how the top half of it's body is just cut off... It ruins the entire Pokemon for me :L

DevinTheWelf said:
Avalugg - I really want to love this guy, but I hate how the top half of it's body is just cut off... It ruins the entire Pokemon for me :L
It's upside-down, I think.

467Magmortar.png

"hey guys, you know what this egg-shaped duck needs? flamethrower arms."

Back