Pokémon 2001?

GarbodorLover

Check out my art thread, "Abstract Pokémon Art"!
Earlier today, I was looking through the archived news of a Pokémon fan site called "Serebii", and found an interesting article posted on September 14, 2000 (Yes, the article is that old).

007 - Copy.jpg

Look at the last line of the article. Pokémon the Movie 2001? What's that? The 2nd movie was called "Pokémon 2000", so it would make sense for the next one to be "Pokémon 2001". However, the next movie was "Spell of the Unown". Could it simply be a title change? I don't know. I'll analyze each of the seven pictures and see if they provide any useful information.

001.jpg
The first image shows a CGI forest. Nothing unusual here, several Pokémon movies have had CGI. Wait... is that... Celebi? Why is it there? It shouldn't be in the 3rd movie, it should be in the 4th! It's kinda blurry, it's probably not Celebi.

002.jpg
I guess it is Celebi afterall! Maybe Celebi was to be the star of the 3rd movie, but it was changed to Unown later...?

003.jpg
This next picture is of Totodile... jumping on Pikachu? Why is it doing that? Why do they appear to be in a hedge maze? Why is this scene in CGI? This picture is raising so many questions, and I need answers!

004.jpg
So, here's a picture of Chikorita standing behind Pikachu. There isn't anything weird this time around, except for the fact that everything is still in CGI! I don't get it! Pokémon movies are 2D animated, not 3D animated!

005.jpg
First Pikachu was being jumped on by Totodile, the it was in front of Chikorita, and now it's leaping over Cyndaquil? What are the Pokémon even doing in this trailer?

006.jpg
007.jpg
Finally, we have the logo and some words that are too blurry to read (except one line - "POCKET MONSTERS"). Those trailers didn't explain much. The only thing I did learn was that the trailer is from Japan, because of the giant glowing text. The 4th movie came out in Japan in 2001, so that explains the title. However, the movie's Japanese title does not have "2001" in it. The title is "Serebyi Toki o Koeta Deai", which literally translates to "Celebi: A Timeless Encounter". So, one has to wonder, is this mysterious "Pokemon 2001" the 4th movie with a different title, or an entirely different movie?

So, where did that trailer come from? What movie was it for? Was it for the fourth movie? Was it for an entirely different movie? Why is it in CGI? What were the Pokémon doing? Why were the Pokémon in a hedge maze? If anybody has any answers to these questions, feel free to reply.

Last edited:
Back