Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: September 2017 - Multi-Energy Costs - All Results Up!

Mortys_Chandelure.png
I really like the design of Morty. Not sure why, but his headscarf has inspired a lot of character design choices on my part. For some odd reason, I've always been drawn to cards that have a dark vibe to them, example of an official one would be this Scizor. Chandelure is... quite the Pokemon, and one of my favorite dual-types. So, I decided I was gonna make a Trainer's Pokemon. Then, I decided on Chandelure. It was supposed to be Acerola's Chandelure, but I realized Acerola never owned a Chandelure from my knowledge xP. So, I went with Morty, because he 1: has a Chandelure, 2: has a sweet design, and 3: has a short enough name to fit in the box :p. Credit goes to ishmam for the art, link to that here, paulsnoops for the blanks and symbol sheet, which I made into a dual type, @Nekoban Ryo for the holosheet, Rune-Blad3 for the Morty icon, link here, and @NinjaPenguin for life-saving wording help, thanks so much man :p
Fossil Excavation Kit FCO 101: "Put x In any combination of y from your discard pile into your..."
Chesnaught BREAK BKH 12: "This Pokemon does x damage to itself. Rest of attack text follows afterward"
Blissey XY56: "Heal x damage from y Pokemon. Then, discard x energy attached to this Pokemon"

Had a lot of fun making my card this round. Looking forward to seeing everyone's entries!

Chandelure-GX HP 230 Fire
Stage 2 - Evolves from Lampent

[R] Soul Burn 30x
Look at the top 5 cards of your opponent's deck and discard any Pokémon you find there. This attack does 30 damage times the number of Pokémon you discarded.

[R][R][C] Burning Shadows 100
If the Defending Pokémon has 3 of more Energy attached to it, your opponent can't draw a card at the beginning of his or her next turn.

[R][R][P] Chandeburn GX 160
Prevent all effects of your opponent's Trainer cards done to your opponent's active Pokémon during his or her next turn. (You may only use 1 GX attack in a game)

When your Pokemon-GX is knocked out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Psychic x2
Resistance: Fighting -20
Retreat: 2
Thank Luvdisc for this wonderful effect.

m2.png
Oh man, I love Mewtwo and Shadow Mewtwo even more, I love the dark vibe of the black Mewtwo from Pokkén Tournament and when I saw "different energy costs" a concept from long ago appeared in my mind, a Shadow Mewtwo EX/GX card.
The process was a little painful tho, I went all ahead to grab the Model from themodelresource.com and started playing around with Blender, it was my first time doing something real with a 3D model and I'm happy with the result, even if it's not the Best.
I Used some fake cards from FakeCardsResources for text placement and stuff and everything else from the Blanks and Resources on the same Deviantart page.

I couldn't find any Pokémon who directly discards other Pokémon, and so, I didn't know the Wording for the GX attack, I'm sorry.
Psycho Cut is directly based on the real attack that many psychic Pokémon can learn, I also used the idea of Shadow Mewtwo having Swords made of psychic energy, so it was a literal Psycho Cut!
Shadow Ball is directly Shadow Ball, a Ghost-Type attack which is Called like Shadow Mewtwo and is one of the most used attacks of Mewtwo Itself.
The attack effect is based on both, Mewtwo EX from Black and White and Darkrai EX from XY, also, to nerf him a bit, this attack doesn't apply Weakness, Like Mega Mewtwo EX "Psychic Infinity", this attack is made to work with other Mewtwo EX and Mewtwo GX cards that use Energy to attack
Finally, "Mind Breaking Blade GX" Mewtwo is all about Mind and Power, so "Mind-Breaking" can be taken in a figurative and literal sense, the attack uses both Swords to not only do an insane amount of damage to the opponent (Based on Mega Mewtwo EX "Vanishing Strike") but also Discard TWO of the Opponent's Pokémon in Play, Obviously, being a GX Attack, Can only be used Once and requires 3 energy, neither of them being colorless for Balance

I Had tons of fun Making this Card, looking foward to the next contest!

What's next months Create-A-Card? I just want to know in advance if you have come up with something.
We normally do not annnounce the theme of an upcoming month beforehand, although if you've got some ideas for themes, feel free to send me a Conversation message and you might see that theme become reality in the future!

Done! Not sure if this is on time or not, but I'll submit it just in case :confused:
Unfortunately, since I had little time to work on it, I ended up rushing it at the last minute. However, I'm still rather proud of the result.
So, lo and behold, Salamence FB Level X!
salamence.png

2891ceb3b6448db78714e54d94d29e54-dbop55e.png
Used Lugia EX (Legendary Treasures) and Aggron (Dragons Exalted) as references for the Power. I reworded Lugia's Ability a bit to be more in line with DPt era cards, from which Welkin borrows much of its wording. I also made it explicit that it is optional for the player whether to activate it or not.
The whole theme here is of course milling, keeping it in line with other Metal cards from my set. I wanted to emphasize the extreme nature of Ultra Beasts, making Kartana here extremely powerful but fragile. The special rule on the top part references Kartana itself but is meant as a general rule for all UBs. Old cards also used to reference themselves by name on such text when specifying evolution rules (Put XXX on the Basic Pokémon) so I don't feel the wording to be too weird.

Not quite late!
Basic\Xerneas\HP 130\Fairy

xerneas.gif

NO. 716 Life Pokémon HT: 9’10" WT: 474.0 lbs.

Ability: Justice for All
If one of your opponent's [F] Pokémon tries to attack, you may discard 3 cards from your hand. If you do, that attack does nothing.

[L][P] Terror Jolt 80-

Discard any Stadium card in play. Your opponent may discard a Supporter card from their hand. If they do, this attack does 60 less damage.

[G][R][W] Brilliant Light 40+

Discard each [D] Pokémon in play (both yours and your opponent’s). Then, flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 20 more damage for each [D] Pokémon you discarded in this way. If tails, draw a card for each [D] Pokémon you discarded in this way.

Weakness: [M] x2

Resistance: [N] -20

Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]

The horns on it's head shine many colors. If you see one with exactly seven colors, it's said to grant you eternal life.
This month's theme was multi-energy costs, so I thought "Why not represent every type in the TCG on this card? And so I did. Whether it's in an effect, Retreat Cost, type, or otherwise, every type is on this card.
Justice for All is a pretty simple effect. In this ability, Xerneas uses it's power to prevent fighters from attacking innocents. Simply put, it can shut down fighting decks and not much else.
In Terror Jolt, Xerneas destroys the Stadium with Lightning, causing the Active Pokémon to freak out and hurt itself (getting into it's head, ergo Psychic type). If that Active Pokémon is calmed down by a nice human (in the form of a Supporter card), it's all fine and the attack can't do much.
In Brilliant Light, Xerneas combines the Primary Colors of Light (which just happen to also be starter types), to destroy all Darkness. If can do two things after destroying Darkness, which are both good.
I honestly didn't have enough time to words this card, so it's probably pretty bad. As for balance, it's only a counter to two types, one only common in Expanded and one uncommon, and has such egregious energy costs that you'd need to rely on Special Energy (Rainbow and/or Prism and maybe new Upper Energy?), which isn't very good. At the same time, it can do some pretty good damage if it does get set up.
"Common Wording Errors" Compilation, Ultra Ball, Sandshrew EVO, Machamp GX, Ambipom (Mysterious Treasures), Camerupt (BKP), Lass's Special.
With all the colors I used in this card, the code is probably broken with the color glitch, so feel free to fix it.

Okay, this is my entry:
Lucario GX STRIKE HP: 200 [F][M] Stage 1: Evolves from Riolu

Pokémon-STRIKE rule: You can have only 1 Pokémon-STRIKE in your deck. When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, you may use one of it`s attacks regardless of the amount or type of Energy attached to it. (Your turn does not end)

[C][C] Breakthrough Punch 60

Discard a Special Energy or a Pokémon Tool attached to your opponent`s Active Pokémon.

[P][F][M] Aura Strike 100

Discard a basic Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you discarded [P] Energy, your opponent can`t attach Energy cards to his or her Pokémon until the end of his or her next turn. If you discarded [F] Energy, this attack does 70 damage more. If you discarded [M] Energy, discard one of your opponent`s Benched Basic Pokemon.

[P][C] Aura Share GX

During your next turn, you can use all of your Pokémon`s attacks regardless of the amount or type of Energy attached to them and all of your Pokémon have no Retreat Cost (except Lucario-GX STRIKE). (You can`t use more than 1 GX attack in a game)

Weakness: [R] x2 Resistance: - Retreat Cost: [C][C]

It`s the first text-based fake I did, so I hope there is not too much wrong.

Smeargle
42px-Pok%C3%A9mon_GX.png
- Normal - 150 HP
Basic

Pok%C3%A9monsprite_235_XY.gif

Ability: Color Refill
If this Pokémon is your active you may attach any number of Basic Energy from your Hand to this Pokémon, but only one per Type.

[C] [C] [C] Color Splatter 30x
Discard as many Basic Energy cards from this Pokémon as you like. This attack does 30x Damage for each diffrent type of energy you discarded in this way.

[C] Clean Slate GX 100
Put as many Basic Energy cards from your Discard Pile or your Pokémon into your hand.

Weakness: Fighting x2 Resistance: Retreat cost: [C][C][C]

When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 price cards
So when i saw the topic for this month i already knew that this has to be my entry. I always associate Energy Types with the colors they represent. I describe my self as calm guy. Atleast deep down. I notice that i pull energy when im near the coast. That im just a "water guy" and that i also like blue colors.
So i wanted to make a card that's a bit like Marshadow GX. The HP are the same and this card has a pretty nice effect. But you need to build your deck compleatly around it to make it work. Also this little guy needs some love.
I hope i didn't fudged up the wording this time. Mostly wrote it from Guardevoir GX and from memory. (that's a good idea to tackle my wording issues right? :p)

pumpkaboo.png

References: Rainbow Energy, Pumpkaboo (PHF)

I saw a few Lampents and Chandelures, and Lampent was my intention but I decided otherwise as there were already a couple. Anyway I thought it'd be fun to combine Night March with Vespiquen and add a little spooky touch since it's that time of year, mostly just wanted to do something to help me get used to the graphics tablet.

Text-Based: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/839DGLG
Image-Based: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8N7JTB6

Here are the links to the fanvoting for this month! The deadline for fanvoting is about 72 hours from the timestamp of this post: see this countdown for the deadline in your timezone.

Unfortunately, @Adam Ryder and @mirdo, your final entry didn't end up meeting the criteria, so I haven't been able to add them to the fan voting this month. :)

Note that you can't vote the same entry for each of the top spots, otherwise your vote won't count.

Last edited:
Back