Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: October 2017 - The Lost Zone - All Results Up!

Nyan

She/They
I forgot to mention in my previous post that the card is designed for the EX-Series, however I guess it being an old Gold Star card may have given that away :)

If the card has a blank within that era, you don't have to mention the wording as long as it fits that era (unless you're using a custom blank :p)

Vulpixy

Just your friendly neighborhood Vulpix
If the card has a blank within that era, you don't have to mention the wording as long as it fits that era (unless you're using a custom blank :p)

thx for the heads up! First time joining this little contest thingy so I wasn't 100% sure. I'll know for next time tho!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
The deadline has definitely passed by now! We have some spectacular entries this month, and the forms for you to vote for your favourites should be up by the passing of the next 24 hours. ^.^

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Fan-Voting Results

The results are in!

Image-Based:
1st:
@TheR3DX - Arceus-GX - 25.5 points
2nd: @Jabberwock - Banette Prime - 20 points
3rd: [TIE] @demifiend700 - Rocket's M Mewtwo - 12 points || @TheNyanCatXD - Glaceon-EX - 12 points
4th: @Vulpixy - Drifblim Star - 11.5 points

Text-Based:
1st:
@Ilovepokemom's - MissingNo-GX - 8.5 points
2nd: @Tails - Porygon-Z - 7 points
3rd: @GekkisaiDaiNi - Tyranitar - 6.5 points
4th: @P3DS - Lycanroc-GX Dusk Form - 6 points

To the winners of the fan's choice vote for October, congratulations! As always, be sure to keep on the look out for the judge's scoring, and see you in November's Create-A-Card.~

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Many congratulations goes to both the Image and Text Winners from the fan voting. Good luck to everyone on the judging from the judges. Fingers crossed you all get maximum points.

Vulpixy

Just your friendly neighborhood Vulpix
Woo, 4th place! Can't wait to see the Judge voting results. Good luck everyone :)

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
So, heads-up: @WastedSkyPirate won't be judging October's image results, if y'all hadn't figured that out already. bb asked me to step in, and here I am. Obvs I won't be judging my own entry 'cause that'd be really lame, so it'll just be between the other eight folks whose names are lined up in the OP under image-based.

Judging is coming (obviously it's already really late; sorry about that, but I'm starting work on it now and expect to be done within a week), but one order of business real quick first: @demifiend700 it seems your entry has been deleted from your image-hosting software; would be awesome if you could try and fix that in the next couple of days or so. I'll waive the no-editing rule for this, so reuploading or w/e won't cost you two points.

Thanks for your patience, y'all. It's been a weird few months, and we're all trying to get judging back on track as soon as possible.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Image-Based Results

Judge:
@Jabberwock

Judge’s Note:

So, another round, another set of victors. I’d like to preface this by apologizing once again for how late this month’s scores are. Hopefully we’ll be able to get things back on track for the new year.

That said, we had some really interesting entries for this round––I particularly liked seeing fakers attempt all sorts of different eras! No three entries were from the same era this month, which as a judge is particularly exciting to see. I encourage you all to continue stepping out of your comfort zones and into eras you’ve never tried before.

Until December’s results, then––congratulations to all of you on another month well done!

~~Jabberwock

yveltal-studel-form-pic-png.14140

Okay, I’ll get the obvious out of the way: there’s zero precedent for a card like this. It just makes no sense in the context of the TCG. I get you were trying to go for a meme with a reference to a YT vid, but the reference honestly went way over my head; I just didn’t get it at all without the video. From a playability standpoint, it’s not much better––that attack for no damage is frankly absurd, given how easy the Ability makes it to get Big Malasadas into the Lost Zone.

I’m not against the simplistic style of art––I quite like Slowpoke GEN’s art, for example––but the execution could be a bit better. Mainly the blank background, and awkward seams between the Pokémon itself and the background. I’d also note that such art has never been used on an Ancient Trait card, so careful how you choose your art.

I do quite like the concept of directly referencing another card and dealing damage based on how many of that card have been used, even if Yveltal and Big Malasada wouldn’t be my first choice. Props for that.

Wording errors:
- Neither “Big Malasda” nor “Big Malasa” technically exist. Both should be “Big Malasada”. [-4 points]
- Cards aren’t put “into” the Lost Zone; they’re put “in” it. x2 [-1.5 points]
- Attack text should read “This attack does 40 more damage times the number of Big Malasada in the Lost Zone” or something very similar to that. [-3 points]
- Missing full stops at the end of Ability text and attack text. x2 [-1 point]
- Missing “é” in “Pokémon” in flavor text. [-0.5 point]

Fonts and Placement errors:
- Every icon and portion of text on the card is either too big or too small, and out-of-place. In addition, a few of them––the HP text being white instead of white-bordered-black, for example, or the Ability icon being from the wrong era––are just straight-up incorrect. Rather than going through and listing every icon and line of text, I’m going to dock a blanket [-8 points]. Leaving two points where they are because at least the text is all in generally the right place.

Creativity/Originality: 12/15
(Sure, it’s original.)
Wording: 5/15
(Make sure to check wording against other cards with similar effects.)
Fonts and Placement: 2/10
(Everything is off.)
Believability/Playability: 0/5
(Just can’t see it.)
Aesthetics: 1/5
(Blank background and awkward stitching-together of parts don’t really work for me.)
Total: 20/50

3ApRueC.png

Ohman, I do love me some SP. Let’s get down to it.

The Poké-Power works nicely from a creative standpoint, and flavorfully ties into Darkrai’s whole sleep thing. I quite like it, actually––but the creativity is a bit lost in the attack, which is pretty much par for the course. Would’ve been neat to see that tie into the Lost Zone in some way as well.

Still, what you lose in Creativity, you make up for in Believability. I could absolutely see this as a Pokémon-SP, once the wording and F/P errors are cleaned up. Nice balancing.

Wording errors:
- Cards aren’t put “into” the Lost Zone; they’re put “in” it. [-1 point]
- Damage counters aren’t “placed”; they’re “put”. [-1 point]
- Missing a “may” between “you” and “put” in the power. [-1 point]
- Missing a necessary clause for all Poké-Powers: “This power can’t be used if <card name> is affected by a Special Condition.” Very, very few cards were exceptions to this, and they usually had a good reason. [-2 points]
- Discrepancy between printed damage (“20+”) and damage referenced in the attack (“30 damage plus …”). [-2 points]

- Pokémon name, Poké-Power name, and attack name should all be in the Bold Condensed version of Gill Sans. [-3 points]
- The font for the attack text looks slightly off––possibly you’ve got the anti-aliasing method set to “Sharp” or “Strong” or something, instead of “Smooth” like it should be? It’s not terribly noticeable, so only going to dock [-1 point].
- SP trainer icons (the one of Cyrus in the bottom-right of the image) always had a black background, not blue-and-pink. [-1 point]
- Justify attack text. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 10/15
(Neat Poké-Power; attack is nothing special.)
Wording: 8/15
(Make sure to check wording against other cards with similar effects.)
Fonts and Placement: 4/10
(Fonts themselves are mostly right but variants are off. Check bolding and such.)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(Seems like a believable, balanced SP card to me.)
Aesthetics: 3/5
(Kinda basic. Would’ve liked to see some holosheeting at the least.)
Total: 30/50

dialga_pb_hgss_by_dashking2007-dbr3vfl.png

Honestly, the card doesn’t impress me. I’d recommend looking into using a font guide to get the fonts and placements a bit more on-track, and while I applaud you for using your own art, I’m not sure the style really works for what you were going for.

Dimensional Rift is quite powerful––it’s Mime Jr.’s attack as a Poké-Power that stacks, so with four Dialga and one Palkia in play you’re milling four cards from your opponent’s deck every turn, and you also get to use an attack. I’d go so far as to say it’s overpowered; with Pokémon Collector existing in the same era it’s not hard at all to get that setup the way you need it.

Timekeeper’s Blast looks fine at first glance––and probably would be, if it were printed today––but this is HGSS we’re talking about. With two Special Metal Energy and an Eviolite attached, you’re taking 70 less damage from attacks every turn, on a Pokémon with 30-40 HP above its average. Any Pokémon with a Poké-Power that powerful should honestly be quite a bit easier to kill.

Wording errors:
- Wrong measurements for dex stats––should be in feet and pounds, not meters and kilograms. [-2 points]
- Missing “é” in “Temporal Pokémon”. [-0.5 point]
- Comma should be after “(before your attack)”, not before. [-0.5 point]
- “If you have a Palkia on your bench” -> “If Palkia is on your Bench” [-2 points]
- “Timekeeper`s blast” -> “Timekeeper’s Blast”. [-1 point]
- In the HGSS era, Pokémon self-reference instead of saying “this Pokémon”. So “any damage done to this Pokémon” -> “any damage done to Dialga” [-2 points]
- “(after applying Weakness and Resistance)” should be italicized. [-1 point]

- The placement for everything honestly looks like it was just eyeballed, rather than having a frame of reference. I’ve written up a tutorial on how to do placements yourself, if you don’t have a font guide, which can be found here. Docking a blanket [-8 points] for all of it, as there are too many to list.

Creativity/Originality: 9/15
(Nothing overly new.)
(Quite a few errors.)
Fonts and Placement: 2/10
(Look into a font guide or DIY placements.)
Believability/Playability: 1/5
(Very overpowered, given the era.)
Aesthetics: 1/5
(Art doesn’t really work for me, and the rest of the card isn’t anything special.)
Total: 18/50

arceus_gx_by_ther3dx-dbrq5fx.png

A fitting Ability and attacks for the god of Pokémon in GX form. Divine Retribution certainly looks threatening––all the Energy symbols alone!––and it can be powered up with relative ease with the Ability.

The art is quite nice, but I’m not sure it quite works for the card––without exception, GXs have a 3D-style art that really pops out at you. The painted style of this piece––while beautiful––isn’t exactly right for a GX.

In terms of power and balancing––I get that it’s Arceus and everything, but I question a few of the choices. The HP, for example, seems a bit high. Arceus generally has HP roughly on par with other Basic legendaries whenever it’s printed, like 130 HP in its most recent printing. 200 HP is the sort of thing I’d expect to see maybe on a Zygarde––which in its most recent incarnation had 20 more HP than Arceus’s most recent incarnation.

I also don’t really see the logic behind the Energy symbols for the GX attack. I guess you were going for the five Energy types that aren’t the “elemental” ones; G/R/W/L? It’s just a bit odd considering Fairy Energy didn’t exist in the generation Arceus is from, but I’ll let it slide––it’s not a big enough thing to dock points for.

All in all, I don’t think it’s overpowered. Very good, yes, but not gamebreakingly so, at least assuming there’s nothing like a Battle Compressor for the Lost Zone in the same format as it.

Wording errors:
- “Each player’s Lost Zone” should just be “the Lost Zone”––there’s only one Lost Zone, even though both players use it and can have cards in it. [-2 points]
- Arceus’s sig move is “Judgment”, not “Judgement”. While the English language technically accepts both spellings, the TCG does not. [-1 point]
- “Knock Out should be capitalized. [-1 point]
- Missing a full stop after “game” in the GX clause. [-0.5 point]
- I don’t really like the wording beginning with “Treat each Energy card …” because it’s only ever been used before on Ampharos DF, over ten years ago, but I also can’t come up with anything better, so you get a free pass.

- GX attacks, as WSP brought to my attention a while back, never have more than three lines of text. If your text goes a bit over, you need to downsize it and do some squishing until you only have three. [-1 point]
- “Divine Retribution GX” looks to be just a bit off in terms of placement. Just needs a slight nudge upward, to be centered with the Energy icons. [-0.5 point]

Creativity/Originality: 11/15
(Interesting design space.)
Wording: 9.5/15
(One big mechanics thing and a few smaller semantics things.)
Fonts and Placement: 8.5/10
(Very close.)
Believability/Playability: 4/5
(Cautious point docked for high-end HP.)
Aesthetics: 4/5
(Art isn’t quite what I’d expect for a GX, but otherwise elegantly executed.)
Total: 37/50

tvTomzV.jpg

This is honestly how Night March should’ve been handled. On a Stage 1, for two Energy attachments, and dealing damage based on stuff in the Lost Zone rather than the discard in a format with Battle Compressor. The only thing I’d say is that I really hope it’s more than just Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist that have this attack, or it’s severely underpowered. Going to give you the benefit of the doubt, though, considering you could’ve just said “This attack does 20 more damage for each Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist in the Lost Zone” if that had been the case.

The first thing I noticed was the art––which is impressive in its own right; props to you for rendering a 3D model for a GX. It does look a bit blurry, so I’d suggest experimenting with overlays and such in Photoshop or an equivalent, to get the sort of “pop-out” feel most GXs tend to have.

I don’t think the GX attack is remotely overpowered; if anything it’s a bit underwhelming. At pretty much any given time your opponent would likely just take the first option and thin their deck a bit. 20 damage just isn’t that threatening. I reckon at one point down the line the card did damage based on Trick-or-Treaters in the discard, rather than the Lost Zone? That might’ve been a bit scarier. As it is, though, it’s not a GX attack that I think would come up more than one game in ten or so.

As a note on aesthetics: The image seems a bit choppy in some places (right under “Discard a card from your hand” and the name of the GX attack are where it’s most noticeable). I’m 90% sure that this is a result of saving it as a JPG file, rather than a PNG. Asche knows more about this than I do, but the gist of it is that a JPG doesn’t do well with some stuff like stark contrasts in color, such as the area immediately around the white-stroked text. I’m not gonna dock any points for it ‘cause it’s an absurdly small thing to dock for––just a note for the future.

Wording errors:
- “Discard 1 Energy attached to this Pokémon” -> “Discard an Energy from this Pokémon” [-2 points]
- “Choose 2 of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon. Those Pokémon are now Knocked Out” -> “Knock Out 2 of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon” [-2 points]

- Pokémon name should be bold. [-2 points]
- Attack names all seem weirdly small––make sure to check against a scan; you can do this by dragging the scan over the fake card and setting the scan’s opacity to 50%. [-2 points]
- GX attacks shouldn’t have more than three lines of text. [-1 point]
- Justify attack text. [-1 point]

(A neat improvement on Night March.)
Wording: 11/15
(A couple phrasing things.)
Fonts and Placement: 4/10
(A few errors.)
Believability/Playability: 4/5
(More balanced than NM, but underwhelming GX attack.)
(Nicely done with the render––would also recommend giving holosheets a try!)
Edited: -2

Total: 32/50

mega-mewtwo-png.14533

Ahh, the card at last! Was really hoping I’d get a chance to judge this, as it’s definitely a neat blank––and the art is adapted very nicely to fit it, too. A very easy Aesthetics score to give, for me.

I spent a while trying to decide whether the card is overpowered. Telepathy is very, very good, particularly in conjunction with Lost Psystrike, but the requisites of evolving ending your turn and there being only one in the deck to begin with do serve to balance it somewhat. The only question is whether it’s enough.

I’ll note that you didn’t copy the Mega rule word-for-word, and I think that’s probably not a good thing in this instance. The wording of the Mega rule is designed to prevent players from loopholing it through Evosoda or Wally, which the wording of your rule doesn’t.

Wording errors:
- The attack needs to clarify “(both yours and your opponent’s)”, like Mew Prime. [-2 points]
- In the upper-right of the card: “Rocket’s M-Mewto” -> “Rocket’s M-Mewtwo”. [-1 point]

- The text is stroked weirdly––some bits, like the top of the italicized “attack”, and the upper-left of the “Z” in “Lost Zone”, appear to have lost their stroke. Not sure why. [-1 point]

(Nice synergy between Ability and attack.)
Wording: 12/15
(A couple of minor things.)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(Strangely stroked text.)
Believability/Playability: 3/5
(Cautious point docked for combos with cards like Evosoda; another for weird Weakness.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(Awesome blank and impressive use of art.)
Total: 41/50

Shining%20Drifblim.png

An EX-era card? :O

Now, first things first. I love this era. And I know how hard it can be to get cards this old to look right, because of differences in how they were created. With that in mind, I just want to congratulate you first of all on your execution of it. Very nicely done! There’s only one thing I’d change about the art––I reckon you could get away with making Drifblim bigger and more centered in the frame.

Lost Journey is an interesting power reminiscent of Gengar SF’s Fainting Spell––walling quite effectively although it can be Knocked Out relatively easily, simply because your opponent won’t want to Knock it Out in most circumstances. I agree that it’s balanced by the Star rule, though because of sheer playability I imagine it’d be quite an expensive Star.

Ominous Wind is fine, if not particularly creative. Definitely believable.

Wording errors:
- “this Pokémon” -> “Drifblim *” [-2 points]
- Cards aren’t put “into” the Lost Zone; they’re put “in” it. x2 [-1.5 points]
- Need to clarify that your opponent doesn’t (or does) take a Prize card. [-2 points]
- You can actually put your opponent’s stuff in the Lost Zone directly––you don’t need to force them to do it. I can see you probably used Drifblim UD as a reference, and it’d be correct for shuffling their deck, as you can’t do that yourself, but here it should be “your opponent puts the Defending Pokémon” -> “put the Defending Pokémon”. [-1 point]

- For EX-era stuff, Energy symbols (as well as Power/Body symbols) should always line up with the little circles on the blank. [-2 points]
- Justify power/attack text. [-1 point]

(Neat power; lost a bit for the attack.)
Wording: 8.5/15
(A few major things.)
Fonts and Placement: 7/10
(A couple errors.)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(Yeah, I could totally see this.)
(Would suggest inflating Drifblim a bit and making it more centered.)
Total: 34.5/50

Glaceon_EX_CaC.png

Nicely done, Nyan––it’s been great to see you grow as a faker and outdo yourself month after month. FA EXes are tricky; props for tackling one!

I quite like that both the Ability and attack tie into the Lost Zone. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that in your chosen era there would indeed exist some hypothetical way to get cards in the Lost Zone. I don’t think the attack is overpowered by any means, as traditionally it hasn’t been that easy to get Pokémon into the Lost Zone––and it has a relatively hefty attack cost to go with it.

I’m concerned about the power levels of the Ability, though. As you have it worded right now, it can activate from the Bench, and also when it’s damaged by one of your own attacks. So something like an Earthquake-style attack––doing 10 to each of your Benched Pokémon––can easily fire off four Glacial Imprisonments at once, scoring potentially huge damage to your opponent’s Active. Even the coin flips don’t really save it from being overpowered.

Wording errors:
- On-point.

- On-point.

(Interesting design, tying in the Lost Zone in two ways.)
Wording: 15/15
(Looks fine.)
Fonts and Placement: 10/10
(Looks fine.)
Believability/Playability: 3/5
(Definitely needs a couple clauses to prevent a potentially broken combo.)
(Nice stab at a FA EX!)
Edited: -2

Total: 42/50

3rd Place: TheR3DX’s omnipotent Arceus-GX, with 37/50 points.
2nd Place: demifiend700’s majestic Rocket’s M Mewtwo, with 41/50 points.
1st Place: TheNyanCatXD’s wintry Glaceon-EX, with 42/50 points.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Text-Based Results

Judge:
@NinjaPenguin

What a wonderfully creative batch of cards this month! You guys really listened to my advice on how to use the Lost Zone, which is quite exciting! I may even dare to say that this theme pushed you guys to make many of your best cards yet. The one thing that hurt a lot of you were wording errors, especially involving two specific parts of the Lost Zone: putting cards in it, not into it, and the fact that there’s no “their/your” when it comes to the Lost Zone. These two mistakes cost you guys almost 15 combined points, which is a lot. Also, there were other small wording errors between eras that plagued many of you. If in the future you ever have to design a card using a certain mechanic, be sure to view the past cards with that mechanic carefully or else you’ll be fallible to making more of those small mistakes. With that said, you all did great overall, so give yourselves a pat on the back!

1. Kangaflora
Kadabra - HP90 - PSYCHIC

Stage 1
063-abra.png
Evolves from Abra

psi_pokemon_kadabra.png

NO. 064 Psi Pokémon HT: 4'03" WT: 124.6 lbs.

[C][C] Bye Bye Geller - 40

Your opponent puts the top 4 cards from their deck into the Lost Zone.

[P][C][C] Ultra Super Psy - 70

Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Burned. Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent's Active Pokémon is also Confused.

Weakness: [P] x2

Resistance:
Retreat:

Pokédex Info: A theory exists that this Pokémon was a young boy who couldn't control his psychic powers and ended up transformed into this Pokémon.
Wording Errors:

Bye Bye Geller:
-Replace from with of. [-1 Point]
-Replace into with in. [-1 Point]
-You should put the cards from your opponent’s deck into the Lost Zone, not your opponent putting it into their own. [-2 Points]

Creativity: 11/20
It’s fun to see you decide to use that Kadabra you’ve always wanted! Bye Bye Geller is a modification of what’s been seen before. Same goes for Ultra Super Psy. In addition, there’s no real connection between effect names and what they do.

Wording: 11/15
Your errors were mostly getting a bit messed up in translation between eras. Besides that, it was just fine.

Believability: 4/15
Bye Bye Geller mills 4 cards for one attachment (into the Lost Zone, which is even worse because they can’t be recovered), which has never been seen before besides sorta Durant and yet still does damage, actually pressuring your opponent (if they play a deck like NM or an evolution deck) a bit. This card, if run like Sable-Garb is right now with Life Dew and disruption, could be an incredibly potent and perhaps top tier mill deck. That’s at a power level that’s way above a fully evolved Stage 1, let alone a Kadabra, which can still evolve into Alakazam.

Final Score: 26/50

2. Ilovepokemom
MissingNo GX - Psychic - HP 190
Basic pokemon

(P) Crash:40 If you go first, you can us this attack on your first turn.

(P) (P) (C) Lost help:100 Pick a random card from your opponents hand. Your opponent reveals that ca d and puts it in the lost zone.

(P) (P) Erase GX Put your opponents active pokemon and the cards attached to it in the lost zone (You can't use more then 1 GX attack a game).

Weakness:
Resistance:
Retreat:1
Wording Errors:

Crash:
-Replace “us” with “use”. [-1 Point]

Lost Help:
-Capitalize Help. [-1 Point]
-Replace Pick with Choose. [-1 Point]
-Replace “opponents” with “opponent’s”. [-.75 Points]
-Replace “ca d” with “card”. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize Lost Zone. [-.75 Point]

Erase GX:
-Capitalize Active. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize Pokémon. [-.75 Points]
-Accent e in Pokémon. [-.75 Points]
-Replace the with all. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize Lost Zone. [-.75 Points]
-Add a period after “Lost Zone”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “then” with “than”. [-1 Point]
-Add “in” before “a game”. [-1 Point]
-Move the period inside the parentheses. [-1 Point]

Other:
-Add a period at the end of MissingNo. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize Pokémon. [-.75 Points]
-Accent e in Pokémon. [-.75 Points]

Creativity: 11/20
Crash and Erase have been seen before, and Lost Help is only slightly unique. I do quite like the idea of making this glitchmon interact with the Lost Zone, though.

Wording: 0/15
Most of your wording errors are simply just simple English language rules. Take another scan over your card next time and you’ll do well.

Believability: 11/15
The balance level actually seems fine, judging from how cards like Pheromosa GX with that first effect tend to be lower power in the rest of the card. The lack of weakness is a bit strange, but I could easily see it with MissingNo. MissingNo., however, has never been Psychic type. -1 Point for no GX Rule.

Edited. [-2 Points]

Final Score: 20/50

3. GekkisaiDaiNi
Stage 2 Tyranitar HP160[D]
Evolves from Pupitar

Ability Lost Tyranny
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may draw 2 cards for each Tyranitar in the Lost Zone.

[D][D][D][D] Fight for the Lost 180
Put your discard pile into the Lost Zone. If your opponent's Active Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from this attack, take 1 more Prize Card if you put any Tyranitar into the Lost Zone in this way.

Weakness: [F]x2 Resistance: [P]-20 Retreat: [C][C][C][C]
Wording Errors:

Lost Tyranny:
-Italicize “(before your attack)”. [-1 Point]

Fight for the Lost:
-Replace into with in. X2 [-1.5 Points]
-Decapitalize card. [-1 Point]
-Replace any with a. [-1 Point]
-Delete “in this way”. [-1 Point]

Creativity: 19/20
Lost Tyranny is completely new and Fight for the Lost basically is too. The synergy may be a bit too in your face, but overall very nice job on these!.

Wording: 9.5/15
These errors were just very small ones that could be solved with a bit more referencing. Check a tiny bit more to eliminate these in the future.

Believability: 11/15
This card seems almost too nerfed. You have to attach 4 energy cards to do 180 damage on your Stage 2 and put your whole discard pile into the Lost Zone. Then, you’ll have to attack one more time (barring a Max Potion/Acerola) and throw away one of your main attackers at just the right time to score a KO. That means no more Super Rod or Rescue Stretcher or even VS Seeker in Expanded, which puts you at a major disadvantage. You could power it up with Dark Patch+Max Elixir, but then Dark Patch fails after your first attack and by now your deck is already incredibly clunky as is. There are two ways I could see this being run: Choice Band to get KOs on major decks not named Garde or Wishful Baton to hopefully not have to attach another set of energy. Yet they both fall flat, Band because there are still too many bulky cards out there when you factor in FFB and Wishful Baton because of Field Blower. Which makes it just bad enough to be underpowered. -2 points for missing Dex Stats/Entry.

Final Score: 39.5/50

4. Tails
Porygon-Z HP: 130 [C]
Stage 2- Evolves from Porygon2

porygon-z.gif

NO. 474 Virtual Pokémon | HT: 2'11" | WT: 75.0 lbs.

Ability: Glitch in the System
Porygon-Z can use the attacks of all the Pokémon in the Lost Zone (both yours and your opponent's). (You still need the necessary Energy to use each attack.)

[C] [C] Virus Alert!

Randomly search your opponents' deck for 1 Pokémon and put it into your opponents' Lost Zone. Shuffle your opponents' deck afterward.

[C] [C] Hardware Failure

Search your deck for 1 Pokémon and put it into your Lost Zone. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Weakness - [F] x2
Resistance -
Retreat Cost- [C] [C]

"In order to create a more advanced Pokémon, an additional program was installed, but apparently it contained a defect that made it behave oddly."
Wording Errors:

Glitch in the System:
-Replace “Porygon-Z” with “This Pokémon”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “all the” with “any”. [-1 Point]

Virus Alert:
-It’s quite hard to randomly search an opponent’s deck. Perhaps the best method would be using it like a Random Receiver and reveal cards until you find a Pokémon? [-2 Points]
-Replace “opponents’” with “opponent’s”. X3 [-1.5 Points]
-Replace 1 with a. [-75 Points]
-Replace into with in. [-75 Points]
-Nobody has a particular Lost Zone; just “the Lost Zone” works fine. [-.75 Points]
-Use “Then, shuffle your opponent’s deck.” instead of “Shuffle your opponent’s deck afterward.” [-1.5 Points]

Hardware Failure:
-Replace 1 with a. [-75 Points]
-Replace into with in. [-75 Points]
-Nobody has a particular Lost Zone; just “the Lost Zone” works fine. [-.75 Points]
-Use “Then, shuffle your deck.” instead of “Shuffle your deck afterward.” [-1.5 Points]

Creativity: 15/20
This is a very intelligently designed card. Glitch in the System has obviously been seen before, as has Hardware Failure. Virus Alert, however, is a very clever version of this effect serving a very smart purpose.

Wording: 2/15
You errors are just simple differences that have changed between eras. Be sure to get the most recent references and you’ll do great next time!

Believability: 13/15
It may be more powerful than Triumphant Mew, but it can only randomly throw away your opponent’s Pokémon and that comes at the cost of being a Stage 2. Because this is SM era, however, and no other cards can put anything into the Lost Zone, it may actually be a bit underpowered.

Final Score: 30/50

5. GM Draclord
Unown Q – [P] – HP50
BASIC

Poke-POWER : Lost Kingdom
Once during you turn, when you play Unown Q from your hand onto your Bench, you may choose 1 Trainer card in the Lost Zone (both yours and your opponent's) and you use it's effect as the effect of this Poke-Power.

[P] In the Shadow
Return Unown Q and all card attached to it to your hand. (If you don't have any Benched Pokemon, this attack does nothing.)

Weakness: [P] (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]
Wording Errors:

Lost Kingdom:
-Remove “Once during your turn,”. [-2 Points]
-Replace play with put. [-1 Point]
-Replace 1 with a. [-1 Point]
-Italicize “(both yours and your opponent's)”. [-1 Point]
-Delete the third “you”. [-1 Point]
-Replace it’s with the. [-1 Point]
-Delete “as the”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “this” with “that card”. [-1 point]
-Add “as the effect of this” after “that card”. [-1 Point]
-Replace Poke-Power with power. [-1 Point]

In the Shadow:
-Replace “card” with “cards”. [-1 Point]
-Accent e in Pokémon. [-1 Point]

Creativity: 14/20
It’s nice to see something as unique as a Pokémon Prime fake these days! We’ve never seen Lost Kingdom’s effect as anything besides Supporters and never in the Lost Zone either, which makes it pretty unique. In the Shadow is, of course, nothing new.

Wording: 2/15
Despite the score, you wording was actually mostly fine. Unfortunately, the effect of Lost Kingdom has a lot of precedent behind it that you happened to have small differences with.

Believability: 12/15
It’s really hard to get Trainer cards into the Lost Zone. At the end of the Lost Zone, you still had very few options: have your opponent put a card into the Lost Zone with Relicanth or use one of a variety of bad attacks/PokePowers (Absol G Lv. X, Zangoose, Mime Jr., Giratina Lv. X). Normally, this would be fine, as it’s just a typical low power Unown, but you decided it’s a Pokémon Prime, and this issue, combined with the bad attack, puts it way below that power level. Luckily, you are just barely in the time where Unown did not have letters in their name, so that’s all good.

Final Score: 28/50

6. TheFlyingPidove
[Basic] Litwick / HP: 50 / Psychic

litwick.gif

[ NO. 607 | Candle Pokémon | HT: 1'o" | WT: 6.8 lbs. ]

[Ability] Shadow Bond

Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is in your hand, you may discard it. If you do, put a card from your opponent's discard pile into the Lost Zone.

[P] Life Drain

You may put a Pokémon or Supporter card from your hand into the Lost Zone. If you do, search your deck for a card that evolves from this Pokémon and put it onto this Pokémon to evolve it. Then, shuffle your deck.

Weakness: [D] x2

Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C]

[Dex Entry: This is a very spooky Candle. You can buy it for a cheap price of your life in the SM-era shop.]
PB CaC Promo
Wording Errors:

Shadow Bond:
-Replace into with in. [-.75 Points]
-It would probably be best to format it like Audino BCR with revealing and discarding it at the end, but I’m admittedly not sure why it is formatted that way, so I’ll give you a free pass on this one. [-0 Points]

Life Drain:
-”You may” isn’t necessary, as you wouldn’t use the attack if you didn’t want to do that. [-1 Point]

Other:
-Change the “o” to “0” in the Height. [-1 Point]

Creativity: 20/20
Shadow Bond is an amazingly designed effect, and Life Drain is almost equally good too. It’s really incredible. I can’t overstate how much I’m a fan of what you’ve explored in both the design space of Litwick and commons in general!

Wording: 11.5/15
Good job, TFP! With just a bit more looking over the card, your wording would have been perfect.

Believability: 15/15
It’s actually quite well balanced. The attack is perfectly fine. Shadow Bond only gets discarded cards, so it stops stuff like VS Seeker without being overly powerful. Nice work!

Final Score: 46.5/50

7. Palebuckets
Houndoom HP100 [D]
Stage 1 – Evolves from Houndour
0x4dmCZ.png

No. 229 Dark Pokémon | HT: 4'07" | WT: 77.2 lbs

[D] Menacing Howl
Flip a coin. If heads, search your deck for 1 Basic Pokémon and put it into your Lost Zone. Then, shuffle your deck.

[D][D][F] Burning Pulse 60+
This attack does 10 more damage for each Pokémon in your Lost Zone.

Weakness- [F] x2
Resistance- [P] -20
Retreat- [C] [C]

The flames it breathes when angry contain toxins. If they cause a burn, it will hurt forever.
Wording Errors:

Menacing Howl:
-Replace 1 with a. [-1 Point]
-Replace into with in. [-1 Point]

Burning Pulse:
-Because of that directly above, you’d want to add a “you have” before in. [-1 Point]

Creativity: 15/20
Menacing Howl is interesting, and so is Burning Pulse. With the new Prism Star mechanic, Burning Pulse takes a whole new significance, which is great.

Wording: 10.5/15
Just small Lost Zone quirks tripped you up. Know the mechanic a bit better and you’ll do great next time!

The issue is that in the era you’re faking, your attack is the only way to put stuff into the Lost Zone. So relying on a coin flip to buff your attack damage is pretty horrible overall. Well nevermind that, my judging took forever and they introduced a new mechanic to do just that. All’s good there! In addition, the dualtype energy has no reason for it to exist, which makes it a bit strange.

Final Score: 38.5/50

8. Rainyman123
Gourgeist HP 100 Psychic
Stage 1 - Evolves from Gourgeist

/Ability/ - Lost Song
Once during your turn, (before your attack) if this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, you may put 1 damage counter on 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. If this would Knock Out that Pokémon, your opponent searches his or her deck for 3 cards and puts them into the Lost Zone. Your opponent shuffles his or her deck afterwards.

[P][P] Aria of Anguish
Choose 1 of your opponent's Pokémon and put 5 damage counters on it. If that Pokémon is an Evolution Pokemon, put a Basic Pokemon attached to that Pokémon into the Lost Zone and put 5 more damage counters on that Pokémon.

Singing in eerie voices, they wander town streets on the night of the new moon. Anyone who hears their song is cursed.

Weakness: Fire x2
Resistance: Water -20
Retreat: 2
Wording Errors:

Lost Song:
-Put the comma after “(before your attack)”. [-1 Point]
-Italicize “(before your attack)”. [-1 Point]

Aria of Anguish:
-Reorder the first sentence to “Put 5 damage counters on 1 of your opponent's Pokémon”. [-2 Points]
-Replace Evolution with Evolved. [-1 Point]
-Replace “attached to” with “under”. [-1 Point]

Creativity: 17/20
Both are new effects, though Aria more than Lost Song. Both of them, however, are pretty similar, which detracts from the overall effect a bit.

Wording: 7.5/15
These are just small wording errors that occur with slightly mistaken references. Fix them and you’ll be fine.

Getting some snipe, removing evolutions from line, and doing up to 100 for 2 energy is a bit above power level. -1 Point for no Dex Stats.

Edited. [-2 Points]

Final Score: 35.5/50

9. Mirdo
Spinda GX– Normal – HP 140
Basic
Pok%C3%A9monsprite_327_XY.gif

Ability: Only Chance
When this Pokémon gets knocked out by an opponents attack it will go into the Lost Zone instead of the discard pile

[P][C][C] Clumsy Throw
This attack does 40 damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon (Don't apply Weakness and Resistence for Benched Pokémon)

[P][P][C] Sacrificial Dance GX
Put damage counters on each of your opponents Pokémon until their remaining HP is 10. If you do not have 4 Spinda GX in play this attack does nothing. Put all of your Benched Spinda GX and all cards attached to them into the lost zone.

You can only use one GX attack per turn

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat:
Wording Errors:

Only Chance:
-Replace when with if. [-1 Point]
-Replace gets with is. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize Knocked Out. [-1 Point]
-Add “damage from” after Knocked Out. [-1 Point]
-Add a comma after attack. [-.75 Points]
-Replace “it will go” with “put it”. [-1 Point]
-Add a period after pile. [-.5 Points]

Clumsy Throw:
-Add a period after Pokémon. [-.5 Points]
-Replace “Resistence” with “Resistance”. [-1 Point]
-Add a period after Pokémon. [-.5 Points]

Sacrificial Dance GX:
-Add a dash between Spinda and GX. X2 [-1.5 Points]
-Add a comma after play. [-.75 Points]
-Capitalize Lost Zone. [-1 Point]
-Replace “can only use” with “can’t use more than”. [-1 Point]
-Replace 1 with one. [-1 Point]
-Replace “per turn” with “in a game”. [-1 Point]
-Add a period after game. [-.5 Points]
-Put parentheses around the GX attack rule. [-1 Point]

Creativity: 16/20
I absolutely love the drunk Spinda design you’re going for with this. Sacrificial Dance is pretty cool, and Only Chance is interesting, but Clumsy Throw has been seen before.

Wording: 0/15
There’s a lot of small errors that add up to a ton of points. Try to use a lot more references in the future.

Believability: 9/15
Actually surprisingly good. That one use attack is way too hard to get off successfully most of the time, since you need to dodge kills first. I actually think it could be a really cool rogue deck trying to speed up energy acceleration early on because one Spinda dies and you’re doomed. Still maybe a bit OP. Psychic energy, unfortunately, makes absolutely no sense, even if it works for balance. -1 Point for no GX Rule.

Final Score: 25/50

10. P3DS
Lycanroc GX – [F] – HP 200
Stage 1: Evolves from Rockruff

Ability: Red Flair
If there is more than 4 Pokémon in your Lost Zone, each of this Pokémon’s attacks do 120 more damage to your opponent’s Pokémon. (Before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[F] Lost Claw 60
Put an energy attached into the defending Pokémon into the Lost Zone.

[F][F][C] Wild Heart GX
This attack does 60 damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon. This damage isn't affected by Weakness or Resistance. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [G] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]

When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Wording Errors:

Red Flair:
-Replace is with are. [-1 Point]
-Nobody has a particular Lost Zone; just “the Lost Zone” works fine. [-1 Point]
-Replace do with does. [-1 Point]
-Delete the period after Pokémon. [-1 Point]
-Decapitalize before. [-1 Point]
-Italicize “(before applying Weakness and Resistance)”. [-1 Point]

Lost Claw:
-Capitalize Energy. [-1 Point]
-Replace the first into with to. [-1 Point]
-Replace “the defending” with “your opponent’s Active”. [-1 Point]
-Replace the first into with in. [-1 Point]

Creativity: 16/20
Red Flair is very cool, though Lost Claw is only a bit new and Wild Heart has basically been seen before. There’s a lot of nicely designed Lost Zone mixed in the card too!

Unfortunately, you were a couple of references away from a quite good score on this. Just check a few more cards and you should be good.

Believability: 6/15
First thing’s first, you have a 1 energy for 60 attack that discards an Energy but a bit more. That’s extremely over the power level. Wild Heart is a bit over power level, but not concerningly so. Yet Red Flair can never actually activate because you’re faking in SM where there’s no way to get your Pokémon into the Lost Zone. Which is a huge (like really huge) problem. Dang I’m a Slowpoke and the world has changed! With Prism Star Pokémon, however, we can quite easily get 4 Pokémon into the Lost Zone, meaning that in Standard and especially in an Expanded format with Battle Compressor, you can be hitting an incredibly huge 180 damage with a discard for only one energy on TURN 2. That would become the BDIF immediately, especially considering you can also use the day Lycanroc-GX as a Lysandre. (So, I’m willing to acknowledge that you had no idea Prism Star Pokémon would exist, so you lose slightly less points for the era issue than you would for having the BDIF X100.)

Final Score: 27/50

3rd Place: Palebuckets's prosperous Palossand, with 38.5/50 points.
2nd Place: GekkisaiDaiNi’s tactful Tyranitar, with 39.5/50 points.
1st Place: TheFlyingPidove’s lavish Litwick, with 46.5/50 points.