PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Oct. 2014 - Ghost

Hm, well, that's merely some flavor text, just like Dex Entries are. However, I believe that if/when I return to the judge seat I'll have to dock points in Believability for missing flavor, since we're reaching for cards as authentic as possible.

Yeah, I think it's an important part of Believability. Stats are easily obtained information, and if the era you're faking includes them (so essentially everything but ADV/EX), it's something nice to see that shows you've put a little extra effort into your card. Then again, I'm not the Text-Based judge, so I'm not sure if my input matters!

SeventhPrize said:
Is the image required for text-based/will there be points deducted if there is no image?
There's no image of any kind required for text-based. I know what the different Pokémon look like, don't worry.

And honestly, I'm not going to deduce points if self-evident information like height, weight, etc. is not included. It feels weird judging someone's copy/paste skills, and nobody looks at card blanks as a casual observer and goes looking for height information. What's being judged in text-based IMO is how well you understand how the wording works, if you know how to balance a card, if you are able to implement a specific Pokémon's theme, and most importantly how creative your card is. Other text-based judges might think differently about it, though, so I advise you not to ignore self-evident things as a rule. You're getting away with it when I'm judging, though.

That would be really lousy if last time they didn't count, and going off that example I lose points this time for something I couldn't have known going into my first contest :\

Here is my card!

Basic Drifblim-EX 160HP (P)

[Ability] Carry Away
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokemon has any Energy attached to it, you may Knock Out this Pokemon. If you do, discard one Pokemon in play and all cards attached to it.

(P) Drift Off 80x
Flip a coin for each Drifblim (including Drifblim-EX) you have in play. This attack does 80 damage times the number of heads. Then, shuffle any Drifblim and Drifblim-EX you have in play into your deck.

Weakness: (D)x2 Resistance:
Retreat Cost:

Pokemon-EX Rule: When a Pokémon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

I used Drifblim’s X and Y Pokedex entries for inspiration on the Ability and the Attack. The Ability may seem a bit overpowered, but you have to remember that Drifblim is an EX. Handing your opponent two Prizes in exchange for discarding one of their Pokemon seems fair enough for me. Its attack also may seem a bit on the strong side, but if you think about it, it really isn’t that overwhelming. Each Drifblim/Drifblim-EX you have in play counts for approximately 40 damage. You can have a maximum of 6 Drifblim/Drifblim-EX in play at once, but if you do and use Drift Off, you lose the game because you will no longer have any Pokemon in play. If you have 5 Drifblim/Drifblim-EX in play, the attack does about 200 damage, but you are left with only one Pokemon left in play (if you had six Pokemon in play originally), which your opponent can Knock Out to win the game. Also, if you used Drift Off with five Drifblim/Drifblim-EX in play, at least one of the Drifblim/Drifblim-EX would have to a non-EX Drifblim and you would have to shuffle it/them into your deck after using the resources to set them up. If you have four Drifblim/Drifblim-EX in play, the attack will do about 160 damage, which for one Energy, is really strong. Using Drift Off with four Drifblim/Drifblim-EX will leave you with a safe two Pokemon in play (if you had six Pokemon in play originally). However, it usually takes a high amount of resources to get four, or even three specific Pokemon in play, even if they are basics. In addition, Drift Off is a risky attack. You could have 5 Drifblim/Drifblim-EX in play but only hit two heads for 80 damage and have to shuffle all those Drifblim/Drifblim-EX back into your deck. I used Milotic FLF’s Energy Grace Ability for reference on the wording for the Ability and Drifblim PLB for the Weakness, Resistance, and Retreat Cost.

Hope you like my card!

I was too late ;-; oh well, I'll just wait till next month. Good luck to all those participating! Also, I could do art if anybody's interested.

SeventhPrize said:
Here is my card!

Basic Drifblim-EX 160HP (P)

[Ability] Carry Away
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokemon has any Energy attached to it, you may Knock Out this Pokemon. If you do, discard one of your opponent’s Pokemon in play.

(P) Drift Off 80x
Flip a coin for each Drifblim and Drifblim-EX you have in play. This attack does 80 damage times the number of heads. Then, shuffle any Drifblim and Drifblim-EX you have in play into your deck.

Weakness: (D)x2 Resistance:
Retreat Cost:

Pokemon-EX Rule: When a Pokémon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Interesting card! You would have needed write "discard one of your opponent's Pokemon in play and all cards attached to it" or something like that.

I know we've asked this in previous competitions, but please leave the judging to the judges.

Thanks!

I think i'll take my usual place in image based. I have no more room for error this time... Hopefully!

If Wigglytuff is dropping out of text-based, get me in for text and out of image!
I'll be doing Trevenant

[Stage 1] Evolves from Phantump
708.png

Trevenant
20px-Psychic-attack.png
HP 120
trevenant.gif

NO. 709 Elder Tree Pokémon. HT: 4'11" WT: 156.5 lbs.

14e49jm.jpg
Natural Cure
If this Pokémon is affected by any Special Conditions, heal 20 damage from it in between turns.

20px-Psychic-attack.png
20px-Psychic-attack.png
20px-Colorless-attack.png
Scare 80+
If the Defending Pokémon is a Pokémon-EX, this attack does 80 more damage, then this Pokémon is now Asleep.

Weakness
20px-Fire-attack.png
x2
Resistance
20px-Fighting-attack.png
Retreat Cost
It can control trees at will. It will trap people who harm the forest, so they can never leave.​

I had an urge to make something with the style of Radiant Collection
aegislash_by_jedi201-d829ldh.png

Ability wording is a mix of Boundaries Crossed Dusknoir's Sinister Hand and Furious Fists Sylveon's Curly Ribbon. I can't remember if there was a reference for the attack, so that might be a little off.
And I know Psychic cards don't typically resist themselves in the TCG but (1) Aegislash is a steel type and steel is immune to poison and (2) I was copying the Metal-type Aegislash cards' WRR info sssshhh

Aegislash looks so naked without its little shield...

Also more people should do image-based! There's plenty of resources and guides, the only thing that would stop a person doing it is their own lack of effort!

^ Implying its possible to use those programs without being a robot. Seriously I can't even draw anything, even a line, on GIMP.

I would agree that it technically doesn't take that much knowledge, but it takes practice, time and patience to get right, which I don't have too much of this month due to exams :/
I might try in the future, but at the moment I'm more interested in coming up with ideas for cards rather than art for them as well.

Here is the ghost from the past

Mismagius ex HP 120 [P]
Stage 1 Pokémon
Evolves from Misdrevus or Misdrevus e
x
[When Pokémon-ex has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.]

Poké-POWER : Spirit Share
Once during your turn (before you attack), your Active Pokémon may use Mismagius ex's attack as it's own without the Energy necessary to use that attack as long as Mismagius ex has the Energy necessary to use it's attack. If you do, put 2 damage counters on Mismagius ex.This power can't be used if Mismagius ex is affected by a Special Condition.

[P][C] Sneak Out 40
Switch Mismagius ex with one of your Benched Pokémon.

[P][P][C] Magic Spell
Choose 1 of your Benched Pokémon that has less than damage counters on it. Move as manage damage counters as like from that Pokémon to any of your opponent's Pokémon in any way you like. If you Knock Out any Pokémon from due to this attack's effect, return that Pokémon and all cards attached to it to your opponent's hand instead discarding it to the discard pile (You still draw prize card for the Knocked Out Pokémon).

Weakness - [D]
Resistance - [F][C]
Retreat Cost - [C]

At least we're original, Scorchy, we were the first ones! ;)

/me high 5's Feathers

And I'm actually very interested in eventually joining Image-Based, the only thing stopping me from it is taking the the to mess with Photoshop enough to be comfortable with it... >.<

Back