Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: May 2018 - Psychic Types ~ Have Some Official Judging!

Nyan

She/They
I was gonna come here to drop out... but turns out I never signed up. I had no time to make an entry this month, sadly. Good luck to everyone with their entries!~

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
I meant to have done this already and just remembered I needed to do it but don't have time so I'll have to drop any take a penalty if there is one.

.MG

The one with a witty name
Thought i already had posted my entry ^^"
Well, here we go :D
Alolan Raichu-GX - Psychic - HP 210
Stage 1- Evolves from Pikachu

[Ability] Miracle Eye
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, you may flip a coin.
If heads, put 1 card from your discard pile into your hand. If tails, put 1 card from your discard pile into your deck and shuffle it.

[c][c][c] Psywave 30x
This attack does 30 damage for each card in your hand.

[p][c][c] Great Alolan Cutback GX 150+
If you played Hau from your hand during this turn, this attack does 100 more damage.

Weakness: [d] x2
Resistance: [m] -20
Retreat Cost: [c]

1115269.jpg

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
Oof
When you've been super busy and didn't pay enough attention, thinking the deadline was the 28th.

Well, good luck ya'll!
I might be taking a break from the CaC for a little while, but I hope to be back soon :D
Sorry for not submitting.

~Jade

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Fan-Voting Results
Image-Based:
1st:
@Jabberwock - M Gallade-EX - 21 points
2nd: @Kavross - Solgaleo ☆ - 19 points
3rd: @steffenka - Xatu - 7 points

Text-Based:
1st:
@quakingpunch73 - Girafarig - 14.5 points
2nd: @Blakers - Jirachi ◇ - 4 points
3rd: [TIED] @VioletValkyrie - Meowstic (M) || @.MG - Alolan Raichu-GX || @Anime Psyclone - Gothitelle Lv.X - 3 points

Just curious, is there going to be a June one?
The June Create-a-Card has just been a bit delayed, but it's up now! You can find it here.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Image-Based Results

Judge: @bbninjas

Even though we had a lower turn out than normal this month, I was pleasantly surprised by the diversity and the quality of the entries! Across the board, don't forget to double-check your entries for font and placement errors. It only takes a few minutes to grab a card scan, add it to your software of choice, make transparent and layer over top of your card, and do a quick compare check. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to what you all cook up in future! ^.^

Kangaflora:

You’ve certainly met the theme - a great choice of Pokemon, plenty of purple and two heavily psychic-y attack flavours all meet the bill. There’s not too much to comment on otherwise. Recover is a common and well-established effect, and Super Psy is just a simple, effectless attack. I would have liked to see more exploration of design space here.

Wording errors:
- There shouldn’t be a comma between ‘this Pokemon” and “and heal”. (-1pts)

Fonts and Placement errors:
- The “Kadabra” text is a few pixels too far to the left. (-1pts).
- The “HP 80” text is a few pixels too far to the right. (-0.5pts)
- The “Evolves from Abra” text and the set number text are a few pixels too large, while the illustration text is a few pixels too small. (-2pts)
- The species / size PokeDex information font is not correct (it should be stretched more length-wise at least), although I can’t tell you the exact font it should be off the top of my head. (-1pts)
- The font for the PokeDex entry is not correct either (it should be more calligraphic). (-1pts)
- The attack effects text starts a few pixels too far to the left. (0.5pts)

Creativity/Originality: 5/15
(Nothing new.)
Wording: 14/15
(A minor slip.)
Fonts and Placement: 4/10
(A number of errors.)
Believability/Playability: 4/5
(The retreat cost should be [C] or [C][C]. Kadabra is a light, fast and relatively frail Pokemon after all!)
Aesthetics: 2/5
(Standard Sugimori art.)
Total: 29/50

steffenka:

The first thing that I notice is the art. It’s colourful, its dynamic and the entire composition conveys the whole mysteriousness as well as the literal ‘flight’ aspects of the card flavour very nicely.

The effect of Past Flight is fun, especially with the flavour - although it is pretty typical for Psychic types to have similar discard-recovery effects. Future Dive is also fun, albeit somewhat trivial.

The HP has crept up a bit too much. Xatu has remained at HP90 for two or three generations now, which is fitting considering its fellow bird Pokemon have had similar HPs themselves.

Wording errors:
- ‘place’ should be ‘put’. (-1pts)

- The HP text is a few pixels too far to the right. (-1pts)
- The “Evolves from”... text is slightly too large in size, as is the size / species PokeDex information. (-1.5pts)
- The two attack effects begin at different points on the y-axis (vertically) - they should be aligned with each other. Additionally, the attack effects should begin a few pixels more to the left. (-1pts)
- The font for the PokeDex entry looks significantly different to that used by the official SM blanks. (-1pts)

Creativity/Originality: 9/15
(Fun flavour that freshened up some well-known design space.)
(A minor slip.)
Fonts and Placement: 5.5/10
(A few misses.)
Believability/Playability: 4/5
(HP is a bit on the high side.)
Aesthetics: 4/5
(Beautifully dynamic and relevant.)
Total: 36.5/50

Kavross:

I loved this card as soon as I saw it, just because it felt so authentic - the card really belonged in the ex-era. The art was bold with bright colours. Energy costs didn’t match the card’s type. The costs were extra large but could dish out nice damage. While not necessarily a new effect, Twin Sun Spiral is reminiscent of the self-Energy-acceleration found on other Pokemon Stars, and a nod to cards like Rayquaza-ex and its “Spiral Growth” attack.

Sacred Sundown has potential as legendary as the flavour would suggest. It wouldn’t be too difficult to get some 1-hit KOs, but the cost was nasty, as were the drawbacks. Discard the wrong cards? You’ll be missing them later in the game. Have a poor hand? You could find yourself in a deaddraw. The whole “you can’t draw a card at the start of your hand” is an interesting touch that completes the balance, and is a creative way to do so too!

Wording errors:
- Everything seems fine.

- There should be a slightly larger gap between the card name and the gold star. (-1pts)
- The cross in “30x” should be of a different font that is bolder and more slanted at the ends of the cross. (It is currently noticeably thin.) (-0.5pts)

Creativity/Originality: 13/15
(Fun attacks, nice synergy and creative balancing.)
Wording: 15/15
(All good!)
Fonts and Placement: 8/10
(Two very slight errors.)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(Feels like a genuine card.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(It’s not my type of aesthetic, but it works!)
Total: 46/50

Jabberwock:

Oh. My. Gosh.

I have to say, this must be one of the most aesthetic Mega Pokemon fakes I’ve seen - heck, it’s probably the best Full Art card too! The colours are brilliant, the pose is wonderfully dynamic (which is something surprisingly uncommon when it comes to faked FA cards), and the holosheeting is somehow both subtle and very pronounced at the same time.

Judges - namely Spoon - recommended against submitting Mega Pokemon in Create-A-Card competitions, on the premise that you can’t possibly achieve solid creativity points with only one attack. I actually am rather fond of the simplicity of this design! The effect is so clever and obvious and basic that I’m surprised I’ve never seen it done before!

Wording errors:
- It doesn’t quite make sense grammatically (at least, I don’t think it does), but it appears that “went” should be in present tense (i.e. should be “go”) from how cards like Shinx UPR is worded. That would also mean that you wouldn’t need the “at the beginning of the game” clause. (-2pts)

- The Mega text curves rather awkwardly in the top right. The text needed to have more perspective, starting off small and in the distance, and finishing large and appearing closer. It’s definitely hard, haha. (-1pts)

Creativity/Originality: 13/15
(It’s new, it’s minimal, it’s fresh.)
Wording: 13/15
(Precedent would suggest otherwise.)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(The mega text looks off.)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(PCL should take tips.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(Paramount.)
Total: 45/50

3rd Place: steffenka's xenizate (???) Xatu, with 36.5/50 points.
2nd Place: Jabberwock's gracious M Gallade-EX, with 45/50 points.
1st Place: Kavross’ supreme Solgaleo with 46/50 points

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Text-Based Results

Judges: @NinjaPenguin & @Jabberwock

NinjaPenguin:
I was the judge this month for Creativity and Believability this month, and I was really impressed with what I saw! This month's cards had great new effects, intelligent design, and amazing new ideas that make a card shine, while still generally residing in a nice and balanced power level. It was the most stacked field I think I ever judged, and the fact that 9 of you were only separated by half points (and another by one) goes to show just how amazing every card here was! Because of this, I can't give much broad advice because there really weren't any constant mistakes, but if you want more personal advice feel free to shoot me a PM.
Even if you may not have placed at the very top this time, all of you have demonstrated just how good you are at this and showed that you can really contend for first place when you put the effort in, so keep up the great work! I'd finally like to apologize for the awful wait and also thank Jabber for being a great co-judge and person to work with, since I never could have done it without him.

Jabberwock:
I took Wording this month to help ease the load a bit. Unfortunately we still got this done very late, but ah well. NP’s awesome and this still got done much faster than it would have had either of us been working alone, so there’s that. There was some good wording and some not-so-good wording this month. Some of the errors were simple oversights like forgetting to capitalize or italicize something –– proofreading helps, y’all! –– but some were larger errors that could’ve been very easily fixed with the proper reference. Pkmncards.com is excellent for this and has a ton of nifty search syntax you can use (even to search for a specific wording to see if it’s been done before). To do this, just type +text:”” in the search bar, with a line of text in place of . As a general rule, I don’t dock points for errors that I can’t back up with a reference of my own –– so feel free to shoot me a PM (or just ask in-thread) if there’s anything in your Wording score you’re confused about. :)

1. @Violet Valkyrie
Creativity: 16.5/20
Adorable Intuition is a very creative and fun idea. Kitty Klub hasn't exactly been seen in this form before, but still isn't particularly special or anything.

Wording: 8/15
–– “(before you attack)” -> “(before your attack)” [-1 point]
–– Ability’s wording should more closely follow Empoleon LV.X’s Poké-Power’s wording –– “put” instead of “place”; including the “(These cards are not in play or in your hand)” clause; “face-down” not being hyphenated, etc. Docking a blanket [-3 points]
–– “one” -> “1” [-1 point]
–– “may not use Adorable Intuition” -> “can’t use this Ability” as per Wishiwashi SUM [-2 points]

Believability: 13/15
HP is a high for a Meowstic, but all the cards tend to be female, so I’ll mostly give this the benefit of the doubt. The rest looks good to me. -1 Point for no ‘Dex Stats.

Final Score: 37.5/50

2. @Nyora
Creativity: 16/20
Nurturing is a cool take on an evolution ability and Kitty Parade is a fun enough attack in its own right. There's nothing too flashy here, but it's quite interesting overall.

–– Italicize “(before your attack)”; add space between comma and beginning of next word [-1 point]
–– “one” -> “1” [-1 point]

Though the evolution line does accelerate itself, it’s still difficult to hit for consistent damage with Kitty Parade and you can only run 4 total of this one and the male one in one deck, which is enough of a drawback to mostly balance the card. Still, hitting for guaranteed 80 damage and possibly more for only a DCE is too much for a Stage 1. The Retreat Cost is also a bit high.

Final Score: 42/50

3. @Lord Goomy
Creativity: 17/20
Gale Star is a really cool and interesting form of energy acceleration, while Telekinesis of the Wind plays with new and very unique design space, which I enjoy a lot!

Wording: 5.5/15
–– Ability’s first clause should say “When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn”; reference Tapu Lele-GX [-2 points]
–– There should definitely be a “you may” in the Ability somewhere [-1 point]
–– Add space between “80” and “HP” [-0.5 point]
–– ”all Pokémon” -> “each Benched Pokémon”; “that player’s deck” -> “its owner’s deck”; omit “except Active Pokémon” [-3 points]
–– Final paren’d clause in the attack has a couple grammar issues, and is also very ambiguous. Do they go back to their owner’s hand, or to their discard pile? Or do they just pocket the Energy and save them for the next game? [-3 points]

Believability: 11/15
Gale Star is a bit of a worrying effect when there is a lot of cards that could bring Lugia back into your hand, which would allow you to make a large combo with a card like Xerneas BREAK. The Retreat Cost is also definitely low for Lugia. -1 Point for no ‘Dex entry.
Final Score: 33.5/50

4. @Technorrific
Creativity: 11.5/20
Mutate contains a lot of well-known effects just added together, while Nucleic Charge is something that's basically been printed before.

–– I’m trying to find a better way to word the opening clause of the Ability, and I just can’t come up with anything that doesn’t add like three sentences to the Ability. Given the S/M era’s penchant for conciseness, there’s nothing to suggest that your wording wouldn’t work –– so it’s [-0 points] here.
–– When an effect reduces an attack cost in post-HGSS eras, it’s “XXX’s attacks cost [C][C] less”, not “XXX’s attack cost is [C][C] less”. [-2 points]
–– This would be a lame thing to dock points for, but I’ll note for the future that when clauses in parentheses are italicized, the parentheses are italicized as well. [-0 points]

Believability: 15/15
It’s definitely well balanced! Nice job here!

Final Score: 39.5/50

5. @Anime Psyclone
Creativity: 12/20
Astral Prediction is pretty interesting, but Psywave has been seen many times before and isn't interesting really at all.

Wording: 7/15
–– Okay, so no matter how you word Astral Prediction, there’s gonna be a problem: namely, that your opponent either may choose not to attack, or may be physically unable to attack due to a lack of requisite resources at their disposal. Going to dock a blanket [-5 points] for a power that can’t be used in a normal game of Pokémon.
–– Attack should be “This attack does 40 damage times the number of heads.” [-3 points]

Believability: 6/15
Astral Prediction is probably well balanced, but there’s nothing here telling when or how often it can be used, which means that the coin flip as of now is irrelevant because you can do it an infinite amount of times. Psywave is also a very expensive attack which has low power level for its era (it’s also ambiguous if it’s 40x or 40+ because the wording contradicts the number you’ve given, but both seem a bit underpowered). Finally, the Retreat Cost is very high for Gothitelle (which I’m giving a bit of a pass on because we have no Gothitelle from DP since it didn’t exist yet). -1 Point for no Lv. X rule.

Final Score: 25/50

6. @quakingpunch73
Creativity: 18/20
Palindromical Pummel is a brilliant idea, and Instinctive Gnawing is a good way to help it work. That being said, Instinctive Gnawing is really only useful for Palindromical Pummel (and Looker I suppose, but that's pushing it), which makes the synergy a tad bit too in your face.

–– ”(before your attack)” clause needs to be italicized [-1 point]
–– “If those cards …” is fine; you don’t need the “two”. [-1 point]

Believability: 9/15
With Instinctive Gnawing and Mallow (or even Max Revive), you can easily enough be hitting for 190 damage for two energy on a one prize Basic Pokemon (which also happens to have easy energy acceleration in the form of Malamar). That’s enough to one hit almost everything relevant (with the exception of Zoroark GX) and really overpowering.

Final Score: 40/50

7. @TSA123
End of Darkness is a very smart effect and Astral Denial has a clever design behind it too. Lunar Dance is a bit more complicated than new and interesting, however.

Wording: 3/15
–– One instance of a missing “é” in “Pokémon” [-1 point]
–– It’d be incorrect to say “its Weakness is now XXX” because you’ve got a passive Ability; i.e., one that you don’t need to activate in order to use. The optimal wording would be something like “Your opponent’s Active [D] Pokémon’s Weakness is [P], and it has no Resistance.” [-3 points]
–– Astral Denial is ambiguous as to whether your opponent only doesn’t get to play Basic Pokémon with more than 100 HP, or whether they also can’t evolve their Pokémon into anything with more than 100 HP. Need a clarification there. [-2 points]
–– In the S/M era, “his or her” -> “their” x4 [-2 points]
–– The cards you search for with the GX attack don’t need to be revealed. The “reveal them” thing is only ever used to prove to your opponent that you’re grabbing something that meets the criteria of the attack; like, if you play an Ultra Ball, you have to reveal what you choose to prove it’s a Pokémon and not a DCE or something. If you’re only searching for “cards”, though, there’s nothing to prove to your opponent with a reveal. [-2 points]
–– In the S/M era, “Shuffle your deck afterward” -> “Then, shuffle your deck” [-2 points]

Believability: 10/15
The HP is quite low, considering that back in Black & White, Cresselia EX had 170 HP and this only has 160. Astral Denial hits for Weakness (and OHKOs with a Choice Band) on the majority of the format (considering that End of Darkness allows it to hit Zoroark for Weakness) while locking down evolution decks, which is too powerful of a combination when this can be helped with Malamar and the GX attack is one spowerful as Lunar Dance.

Edited: -2 Points

Final Score: 28/50

8. @Serperior
Creativity: 13.5/20
Sunbeam Bounce has obviously been seen before, but Telekinetic Teamwork a really intelligent way of making an effect like that work in the Neo era!

–– “10 more damage times the number” should be “10 more damage for each”, according to such cards as Dark Octillery and Girafarig from Neo Destiny. [-2 points]

Believability: 15/15
Telekinetic Teamwork is high up when it comes to the power level at the time, especially when combined with Sunbeam Bounce nullifying the disadvantage of spreading your energy thin and high HP, but still within the power level at the time, seeing as it still does require you to spread your energy quite thin to hit high damage numbers and is in a format where Energy Removal is such a powerful force. You clearly know the Neo-era format well; good job on getting this so cleanly balanced!

Final Score: 41.5/50

9. @The Last Shaymin
Creativity: 13/20
Psychic Bonds has been seen before. Lost Partners and Lost Call are interesting new ways to work with the Lost Zone, but also aren't very new.

Wording: 4.5/15
–– Missing “(before your attack)” clause in Ability [-2 points]
–– If you’re only searching for “a card” (as opposed to, specifically, a Pokémon, a Supporter card, etc.) then you don’t need to reveal it. [-2 points]
–– In the S/M era, “Shuffle your deck afterward” should be “Then, shuffle your deck.” [-2 points]
–– Cards are always put “in” the Lost Zone, not “into” it. x2 [-1.5 points]
–– ”You can’t use abilities during your next turn” is problematic wording, because it would only lock Abilities that need to be activated, and the game doesn’t currently make a distinction between those and passive Abilities. Additionally, “abilities” should be capitalized. [-3 points]
–– Missing GX attack rule. [-3 points]

Believability: 7/15
Psychic Bonds is very powerful; you can basically get one Computer Search every time there’s a KO on a simple Basic benchsitter. Lost Partners doesn’t really make sense, since besides the GX attack, there’s no way to get cards into the Lost Zone in this format, which makes it way too hard to actually pull off. Finally, Latios only has Fairy weakness when it’s dragon type. -2 Points for ‘Dex Entry on a GX and no GX Rule.

Edited: -2 Points

Final Score: 19.5/50

10. @Luxinity
Creativity: 14/20
Mirror Image has been seen before. Chains of Malevolence is more convoluted than anything that special. Circle Nine looks familiar, but actually is a bit new.

Wording: 0/15
–– “both players” -> “each player” [-1 point]
–– “hand (you do this first)” -> “hand. (You do this first.)” [-2 points]
–– Each “if” clause of Chains of Malevolence needs to be separated by a full stop, not a comma (and, ofc, the next “if” capitalized). x4 [-2 points]
–– ”Defending Pokémon” -> “your opponent’s Active Pokémon” x3 [-3 points]
–– The comma in the GX attack should also be a full stop, with the next initial capitalized. [-1 point]
–– You don’t need “now” or “in addition to it’s [sic] existing attacks” in the GX attack. [-2 points]
–– ”(you still need the necessary Energy to use that attack)” should be initially capitalized, should have a full stop, and should be separated from the preceding sentence by another full stop. [-2 points]
–– Missing the full stop at the end of the GX attack rule. [-1 point]
–– Missing the “é” in “Pokémon” x6 [-3 points]

Believability: 9/15
Circle Nine is a very expensive attack cost for something that isn’t powerful (since if there was an attack that was that good on an opponent’s side, it would be much more worthwhile just using the opponent’s deck). The use of Darkness energy is quite strange on a Psychic type, especially considering it is weak to Darkness (which is also not realistic, since past psychic type Malamar have psychic weakness). -1 Point for no GX Rule.

Final Score: 23/50

11. @GM DracLord
Creativity: 14/20
Power Boost and Sharp Slice seem like common effects, but beneath the surface do have some interesting and actually pretty special aspects to them that make this card stand out a bit.

Wording: 10/15
–– Need to specify how many Prize cards your opponent takes in the ex rule. [-1 point]
–– ”energy” needs to be capitalized; “provide” -> “provides” [-1 point total]
–– Sharp Slice should be worded more like “Choose 2 of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon. Put 1 damage counter on each of those Pokémon for each basic Energy card attached to it.” [-3 points]

Since Gallade will always have Power Boost, you can use Sharp Slice for only two attachments, which makes it perhaps a tad bit too powerful in its format. Additionally, the weakness would be to Psychic, not both Psychic and Colorless.

Final Score: 37/50

12. @DoubleAACE
Creativity: 16/20
Evolution Boost is a very smart and interesting effect and Pseudo Evolution plays with a fun design space too. Summoning Chime, however, feels like it's definitely been seen before.

Wording: 8/15
–– ”PokéBody”; “PokéBodies” -> “Poké-Body”; “Poké-Bodies” [-1 point]
–– You don’t need “in combination”. [-2 points]
–– Missing “Shuffle your deck afterward”. [-2 points]
–– ”each of your Basic Pokémon in play is treated as an Evolved Pokémon” -> “treat each of your Basic Pokémon in play as an Evolved Pokémon” (“treat” has been used often enough in the TCG before, but never in the passive voice) [-2 points]

Believability: 12/15
Evolution Boost generally works easily enough as far as doubling goes, but in in the one case of Jynx Unseen Forces, it's unclear how it would end up applying. Summoning Chime is like Dunsparce’s Hit and Run, which was an incredibly powerful attack, but even more powerful.

Final Score: 36/50

13. @TheFlyingPidove
Creativity: 13/20
Bat Signal is a fairly plain effect. Energy Echo I find quite interesting and like a lot.

–– TCG wording uses the Oxford comma (i.e., “Crobat, Noivern and Swoobat” -> “Crobat, Noivern, and Swoobat”). [-1 point]
–– ”your opponent’s” -> “their” [-1 point]

Believability: 14.5/15
Everything here is perfectly within Swoobat’s power range, but I'm docking a cautionary half point for the fact that an effect getting specific Evolutions from different lines seems a bit unrealistic.

Final Score: 40.5/50

14. @jessalakasam
Creativity: 19/20
Trace has a brilliant tie-in to the flavor you're drawing from along with a great effects, and Hypnotic Flash is also a really clever and great idea. Amazing job!

Wording: 9/15
–– ”(Before your attack)” clause should be italicized, and the “B” shouldn’t be capitalized. [-1 point]
–– “Opponent” should not be capitalized. x2 [-1 point]
–– There should be a comma after “If you do”, after “Then”, and after “opponent’s next turn”, but not one after “you find there”. [-2 points]
–– ”special energy” should be capitalized. [-1 point]
–– “only provides” -> “provides only” [-1 point]

Hypnotic Flash is quite significantly under the current power level for a three energy attack on a Stage 2, but Trace is pretty good at making up for it. In this modern era, dualtypes only will have one weakness. -2 Points for no ‘Dex Stats or ‘Dex Entry.

Final Score: 38/50

15. @Blakers
Spiteful Wishes is a quite new and very intriguing effect to see. Reinforced Wish has been seen a bit before.

–– “50 damage” -> “50+ damage” [-1 point]

The HP is a bit high for Jirachi, even taking into account the Prism Star HP boost. This card is unbalanced for one simple reason: what reason would any deck have to not play Jirachi and just Bench a Pokemon for a delayed 140 damage? This card’s one copy would easily be played in any deck, which means it could definitely be considered broken.

Final Score: 41/50

3rd Place: Blakers's jaunty Jirachi, with 41/50 points.
2nd Place: Serperior’s elegant Espeon, with 41.5/50 points.
1st Place: Nyora’s matching Meowstic, with 42/50 points.