Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: May 2018 - Psychic Types ~ Have Some Official Judging!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
cGCFZw4.jpg

Welcome to the May round of the Create-A-Card!

The theme for this month is Psychic types! You may choose any Pokemon that is canonically a Psychic type Pokemon (i.e. no Poison / Ghost types, unless they are part-Psychic) to be the subject of your entry. The card itself does not have to be [P]-type.

As an artist, you will not be restricted to a specific card era when creating your card. However, if not otherwise stated, we will be assuming that the card you create is for the current TCG era.

This contest has two sections, text-based and image-based fakes. For text-based fakes, all you have to do is create a card in text form and post it in here! For the image-based fake, you’ll need the help of some software to let your creations come to life. But one thing remains important between both of them: your cards must be completely original!

Registration

• To sign up you must reply to the thread below. Make sure to include whether you’re in for text or image-based fakes!
    --
  • You may register with a partner and work together on the same card. This way each member can use their different talents and combine their skills, especially if one of you is an artist and the other is a TCG player. (Feel free to post in the thread that you’re looking for a partner if you want one.)
    --
  • We have a total of 20 spaces available for text-based entries and 20 for image-based. If you’ve never done an image-based card before, now is a great time to learn! PokéBeach has many card blanks and guides available for use.

Judging

--------
Text-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    We’re all tired of effectless attacks! Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Pokémon Power / Body / Ability / attack effects. Let’s see something cool and new!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of card you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.

Text-based fakers may format their entries any way they choose, but for those who are new or would like a guideline to follow, this is a simple formatting guideline you can follow:

Pokémon – Type – HP50
    Stage 1 – Evolves from Pokémon

Ability: Name
    Ability Effect

[R][C] Attack 20
    Attack Effect

Weakness: Fire (x2)
    Resistance: Psychic (-20)
    Retreat: [C] [C] [C]
    Pokédex Information

Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration. We will assume that your card is being created for the current TCG era unless otherwise stated, so if you are making a card for a previous era, you must mention this in your entry post.
Max Points: 50

--------
Image-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    This should be a given. With the proper photo editing tools, let your imagination run wild! This can involve innovating new gameplay mechanics, blanks, templates, etc.
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.
    ---
  3. Fonts and Placement
    Correct fonts are imperative when creating realistic fakes. Placement of text / symbols / etc. is also taken into consideration.
    Total: 10 points
    ---
  4. Believability/Playability
    Because this division of the contest is so image-heavy, the believability and playability takes a backseat here. However, it’s still worth a portion of the total points, so try to keep it in the realm of believable! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.
    Total: 5 points
    ---
  5. Aesthetics
    Aesthetics is all about how your card looks as a complete whole. Aspects of this category include using creative and appropriate artwork, using neat or custom blanks, and overall having an appealing card creation. Additionally, You may not use existing artwork from the TCG for your cards. If you’d like to use Ken Sugimori stock artwork, you may do so, but it must be transformative in nature.
    Total: 5 points
Max Points: 50

So that’s the point breakdown for this month’s Create-A-Card. We aren't quite sure who will be judging the text-based portion of the contest just yet, but @bbninjas will definitely be judging the image-based part.

Keen to join the judging team? You can learn how to apply here.

General Rules

• For those entering image-based, you must include the symbol here on your card (such as the set symbol) or else your entry won’t be accepted. It was designed by the lovely Nekoban Ryo who continuously creates resources for the faking world and faker himself. In addition, we do not allow any image-based entries that have been made using automatic, online card generators.
    --
  • If you edit your post you’ll have an instant deduction of 2 points from your overall score, and posting your entry again on a different post also deducts 2 points. When you submit, make sure you’re done! If you mess up the tags or have a similar coding disaster, contact myself or the month’s judges as to get it fixed. If you forget to credit someone, do so in a new post instead of editing.
    --
  • Participants who fail to submit a card by the deadline, if the particular portion is full, will automatically lose 2 points for next round (similar to losing 2 points for the current round for editing). If the portion you have signed-up for is full and if you wish to drop out, you must do so by the 22nd of April at 12 PM to not incur the penalty. Continuing to fail to post a submission in future rounds will result in a possible ban from the contest for a couple of months. Please keep a close eye on the deadline.
    --
  • All CAC entries should not be posted elsewhere in the PokéBeach forums while the current month’s contest is ongoing. If you have a personal thread or gallery where you post your fake card creations, you must wait to post your CAC card there until the contest is complete and full judging results have been posted. This is to ensure that CAC judges can continue to give proper feedback both within the contest and in the forums.
    --
  • Members will be able to weigh in on their favorite fakers! Members are free to vote for ONE text-based entry and ONE image-based entry, both spectators and entrants, though we encourage participants to not vote for themselves. A poll will be linked in-thread shortly after the deadline has passed, or votes can be PMed to myself (@bbninjas).
    --
  • Artists (illustrators) are free to post in this thread, letting participants know that they are available.
    --
  • All entries should meet the forum rules. You should always credit the artist, and never use someone else’s art without their permission, else it is considered art theft.

Deadline: May 27th (Fri.) 12:00pm EST
Here’s a deadline countdown for convenience: [link]​

Anticipated Entrants

Image-Based:
  1. steffenka
  2. Yog
  3. Kangaflora
  4. Kavross
  5. Jabberwock
  6. This could be you!

Text-Based:
  1. jessalakasam
  2. TheFlyingPidove
  3. Blakers
  4. VioletValkyrie
  5. Jadethepokemontrainer
  6. quakingpunch73
  7. Anime Psyclone
  8. rainyman123
  9. DashKing
  10. DoubleAACE
  11. Technorrific
  12. GM DracLord
  13. Lord Goomy
  14. The Last Shaymin
  15. Serperior
  16. TSA123
  17. .MG
  18. Luximity
  19. Luplayz
Bold names means I have seen your entry in this thread.

Want to help advertise the contest? Just paste the code below for the banner in your sig!

Code:
[url=http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/pok%C3%A9beach-create-a-card-may-2018-psychic-types-sign-ups.147149/][img]https://i.imgur.com/cGCFZw4.jpg[/img][/url]

Credit goes to @Nekoban Ryo for the banner.

Last edited:

Yog

Rogue
I have some ideas for this :eek: Plus last month's image turn-out was poor (partly my bad).

Sign me up for image!

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
I have some ideas for this :eek: Plus last month's image turn-out was poor (partly my bad).

Sign me up for image!

Don't blame yourself for April's disaster. If anything, I was unable to take part last month due to conflicting schedules.

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
VioletValkyrie's Entry - Meowstic (Male)
May 2018 Create-A-Card

Meowstic
- Psychic – HP110
Stage One - Evolves from Espurr
DEwVclM.png

【 Ability: Adorable Intuition 】
Once during your turn (before you attack), if this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, you may search your deck for 2 cards and place them face-down next to your Active Pokémon. Then, shuffle your deck and put a Kitty Counter on those cards. If you do, switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon. At the start of your turn, put a Kitty Counter on those cards. When those cards have 4 Kitty Counters on them, place those cards into your hand. You may not use Adorable Intuition if there are already face-down cards next to your Active Pokémon.

[P] Kitty Klub
Draw 2 cards for each of your Meowstic in play.

Weakness: [P] x2
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C]

PokéDex Entry: This Meowstic absolutely adores his female companion. He fights his hardest in battle every day for her, and they’re always cuddling!

Image Link: https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/d/de/Shuffle678.png
Source: Pokémon Shuffle

➤ Thoughts and Creative Process:
Create-A-Card is a fantastic time to be unique and play off the theme given in new, creative and wonderful ways. Psychic types are awesome because you can do so many interesting things with them and it’s all still logical and makes sense for the Pokémon to do.

This month I had the fantastic honour of working with @rainyman123, fellow cat lover, friend, and the creator of the amazing Violet’s Luxray from April’s CAC competition. After recently talking a large amount about how much we love the animals and the theme just being brought to my attention at that time, I eagerly approached Rainy with the idea of making a Meowstic together. She accepted, and we eagerly got to work, focusing on writing our entries to be cute little nods to the pets we adore.

I originally started my creative process before even thinking of a Pokémon to use, beginning with a rough, now refined draft of Adorable Intuition. I thought of an interesting way to reference the psychic typing of the theme and have an interesting twist on the ability to search your deck for cards, and what an interesting downside could be when using that mechanic. After a bit of thinking, I wanted to do something unique with an interesting reference, which happened to be a Yu-Gi-Oh card named Different Dimension Capsule. This card stood out to me for its strange concept of searching your deck for a card and removing it from play for two turns before adding it to your hand. I thought this was interesting due to how Pokémon doesn’t have anything like this, and that it could be a unique (and quite fitting for the theme) way of simply having a support ability involving searching your deck for a card. Pokémon doesn’t have a consistent way of keeping track of how many turns it’s been since a card was played, so I thought counters would be a better way to keep track of this, instead of removing the card from play/putting it in the Lost Zone and accidentally not being able to count the amount of turns. I think I struck a fantastic creative balance.

This created a perfect way to tie into the idea of having a Meowstic, as this ability instantly cemented my creation as a male Meowstic, with a unique support ability able to lead into a strong aggressive female Meowstic, just as how Meowstic is unique for its ability to have two different movesets and roles in battle depending on its gender, and how the two can become a strong team by covering each other’s weaknesses with their different battle roles.

Kitty Klub was created to be a support ability able to draw a large amount of cards after using the female Meowstic’s ability to evolve your Espurr and switch into a male Meowstic to draw cards, just as Kitty Parade is used to set a card face-down and add Kitty Counters to do a large amount of damage with female Meowstic. One of our biggest goals was having the cards connect in a way that every aspect of them can tie into every aspect of the other, and that they can combo well for different scenarios, while still being balanced enough to not seem overpowered.

Obviously, a giant thank you goes out to Rainy for accepting my proposal and working together with me to create these amazing cards. I think her and I did an amazing job and it was fun to try something new and work together with a partner to create something unique, creative, and most of all, absolutely adorable.

See you next month, hopefully!

➤ References:
Different Dimension Capsule [Yu-Gi-Oh]
More for concept on creation of Adorable Intuition.

Gardevoir ex [Delta Species – 93/101]
Wording on placing counters, and checking proper wording for using custom counters.

Nyora

A Cat
Meowstic HP 90 Psychic
Stage 1 - Evolves from Espurr
NO. 678 ~ Constraint Pokémon ~ HT: 2’00” ~ WT: 18.7 lbs.

678_01.png

/Ability/ ~ Nurturing
Once during your turn (before your attack),if this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, you may put 2 damage counters on your opponent’s Active Pokémon. Then, you may choose one of your Espurr in play. Search your deck for a Pokémon that evolves from that Pokémon and put it onto that Pokémon to evolve it. If you do, switch this Pokémon with that Pokémon.

[C][C] Kitty Parade 80+
This attack does 30 more damage for each Kitty Counter on any face-down cards next to your Active Pokémon.

【This Meowstic is madly in love with a male Meowstic. They love to cuddle so much, it’s so cute! She would do anything to protect him.】

Weakness: Psychic x2
Resistance: None
Retreat: 2
If you can’t tell, this is obviously supposed to be paired with @VioletValkyrie ’s card, which is amazing by the way <3! Meowstic is so cute! They both synergies well with each other, and Violet’s Meowstic helps this one by setting up a Kitty Counter, which can not only after time help you draw cards but also helps power up Kitty Parade! Kitty Parade can hit 170 damage max with this, which is pretty awesome! Nurturing also allows you to setup one of Violet’s Meowstic’s so that you can use its ability and switch back into this one to use Kitty Parade x3.