Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: May 2017 - Beginnermons - All Results Up!

From my understanding, GIMP allows for all the basic functionality that Photoshop has, plus has quite a few of the more advanced options, but I think the interface can be somewhat hard to grasp at first. Some of our veteran fakers, notably @Nekoban Ryo, uses GIMP and uses it quite effectively to make both cards and resources. You could look up tutorials - both written and video - for the software if you get stuck, as I've found that tutorials tend to unravel things quite nicely. That or you could go with CS2, but I wouldn't recommend buying Photoshop unless you're planning on using it for more than just cards.
I actually rarely use GIMP for fakes anymore as it's far easier to manipulate text and add layer effects in Photoshop (GIMP also renders text weird, especially smaller stuff like attack/Ability effects). I like GIMP's Color to Alpha option, generally prefer its Blending Modes over Photoshop's, and still use it to make abstract backgrounds and holosheets, but that's about it.

Last edited:
I'm also open to the idea of teaming up with a text-based faker. You know, since my strong-point when it comes to faking is usually more on the visual side than the gameplay side.

So...

For this month's contest, I chose the evolutionary line of one of the Pokémon world's first beginner Pokémon!

Back in RBY, if you chose Charmander as your starter, then you pretty much had to raise up one of these bad boys to help you take down the first Gym Leader, Brock. So, for me, this is the beginner Pokémon.

My entry is Butterfree-GX

giphy.gif

03%20Butterfree-GX%20V3.0.png

Credits

Artwork: Luunan @ Deviant Art
Background: Bob Craig @ CG Society
Blank: @aschefield101
General: @wonderful_whismur, @Yog & @TylerRVG for telling me Photoshop CS2 is free!

Development Notes

• I found the perfect Butterfree artwork for a GX card (thanks Luunan) and adjusted the lighting for Butterfree and the background to make them feel part of the same piece.
  • I researched previously released Butterfree cards to ensure the attacks fit with established themes.
  • By having low HP for a Stage 2 Pokémon-GX, Butterfree-GX fits the concept of "Beginner Pokémon" - easy to raise but weak stats overall.
  • Quiver Dance accelerates Energy, thus fulfilling the idea that it's quick to level-up (on a side note, Quiver Dance's healing effect is relevant in the context of Metapod's Ability.)
  • Mysterious Dust is a solid but not overpowered main attack, dealing 120+10 (with Poison). I feel this is average damage for a Stage 2 Pokémon, typically guaranteeing 2HKOs. This can be boosted with Choice Band and baby Lurantis to start hitting relevant numbers.
  • Allergy Powder GX could be a very strong attack but can be mitigated by the opponent's Energy attachments. It's rare that more than 2 Pokémon at any given time have Energy attached to them, meaning your Allergy Powder GX will usually place 8 or 16 damage counters. The threat of big damage is this attack's main selling point and it forces your opponent to think about every attachment. Furthermore, I decided to make this a 'placement' effect, so that the damage could not be boosted by Items such as Choice Band as I thought this could make it overpowered.
  • The Weakness and Resistance is a bit whacky but fits with recently released Butterfree cards that also have a [L] weakness, [F] resistance and free retreat. I feel this makes the card more versatile for [G] decks that would otherwise be majorly weak to [R].
References:

1. Butterfree (Flashfire #3)
  2. Alakazam-EX (Fates Collide #25)

I got a little carried away and couldn't help produce the whole evolutionary line. So, as an aside, I've included my Caterpie and Metapod too. These aren't for judging but they were fun to make and Metapod's Ability gives a little context to the healing effect of Butterfree-GX's first attack.

01%20Caterpie%20V1.0.png
02%20Metapod%20V2.0.png

I hope you like my entry!

Best of luck to everyone :)

Exceptionally well done Wasted, few mistakes I noticed which I won't say "out loud", so jabber or whoever can see em; but very well done :D

Basic-Grass-Caterpie-HP50

Ability: Caterpillar Munchies
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a [G] energy from your hand. If you do, this Pokémon’s attacks do 20 more damage.

[G] March 10x Damage
This attack does 10 damage times the amount of [G] Pokémon on your bench.

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]

Honedge XYP12
Various Guardians Rising and Sun and Moon cards.

Weedle//Psychic//HP 50
Basic
weedle.png

Ability: String Stop
If this Pokémon's HP is 10, prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks and abilities from Poisoned Pokémon.

[P][C] Poison Prick 10
Your opponents Active Pokémon is now Poisoned.

Weakness - Psychic x2
Resistance - Fighting -20
Retreat - [C]
Dex: It attacks using a two-inch poison barb on its head. It can usually be found under the leaves it eats.

Wait a minute...that's not a Caterpie! Oops. Oh well, I'll just go with it.
I though it would be fun to have a Psychic type Weedle, as Weedle is also a Poison type, and I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a Psychic Weedle card before. I feel it's pretty balanced for a 50 HP basic Pokémon. String Stop might seem like an OP ability at first glance, but you'd have to get it down to 10 HP first, which is hard to do without knocking it out as it only has 50 HP to begin with. Poison prick is a pretty basic attack, 10 damage and Poison, partnering with the Ability.

Poochyena_zpspwzxio8p.png

I really wanted to capitalize on the theme of "Beginner Pokemon", and design a card that would be most useful to a new player. Iv'e been teaching my little brother to play and it helps a lot at the start to play with visible hands so the new player can focus more on mechanics than predictions. The colorless energy cost and free retreat mean you could put this in any (Beginner) deck. However, also in keeping with the theme, this is a pokemon you will likely swap for something better later on. Low HP and no damaging options make this little guy a good opener that quickly becomes obsolete. Just as a regional rodent/bird/dog/bug/pink balloon should be.

Mine is meant for th XY format.
Caterpie-Grass-HP30
Basic
Ability: Tiny-Sized
If your opponent's Active Pokemon attacks, and it has a base HP of 100HP or more, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, that attack does nothing.

[G] Bug Bite 20+
If your opponent's Active Pokemon is a {G} type, this attack does 40 more damage and heal 10 damage from this Pokemon.

Weakness: Fire (2x)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]
Lysandre (XY flashfire), Weedle (XY), and bbninja's example (this is my first time in a create a card contest).

I've never been very good at these, but it's always fun to enter.
63wEtRI.png

XY era because I haven't even bought a pack of sun/moon yet and I have no clue what wording differences there are.
For ability - I couldn't find anything really relating to this, totally made up

Electric Vortex wording inspired by Manetric EX.

Question: Can an Alolan Pokemon be faked into a set earlier than Sun & Moon?
Eh, yes? Pretty much everyone who participated in the Alola dex competition three months ago used XY era (or prior) rules, and nobody used an SM blank, I don't think. Plus there are those who enjoy using DPPt/HGSS blanks/rules when making cards for more modern Mons. Don't know what makes you think it wouldn't be allowed, unless I misunderstood the question.

Last edited:
Question: Can an Alolan Pokemon be faked into a set earlier than Sun & Moon?
I'm 99.99% sure that we aren't bound by the generation the Pokemon was introduced. So for example you could use a Gen 6 Pokemon on a Gen 3 style card. As a side note, you should use the wording style for the era of card you're using and not the current era, as the wording on cards has changed quite a bit over time. I found it best to go on Google images and look up cards from the era of your choice, it gives you a large easy to access reference pool.

Would it be permissible to edit the description on my post without changing the card image at all?

Finally sat down and made my card design. There were a few different Pokémon I wanted to make (Smeargle and Bunnelby mostly), but I decided on a Vivillon in the end because it's a design I really enjoy (I started around XY as well so Vivillon really speaks to me as a 'beginnermon').

6c2e05c1bd.png

References:
- Cradily PLB: Lifesplosion text for searching out Pokémon and putting them on to your bench.

Some explanation:
Beginning Memories is probably the more relevant part of the card to the theme; it's based a little bit on attachs like Past Friends (Chandelure STS) and Circle Circuit (Raichu XY/GEN) but ties in more with the theme, doing more damage for each of the Vivillon line, as well as Bunnelbys and Pikachus in play (along with Scatterbug, they're two common early-game Pokémon in X & Y). Bug Hug was meant to be a simple attack with a 'cutesie' name, and Rebirth Ray-GX is more of something I thought would generally be an interesting GX idea, especially as something like this could justify running Vivillon-GX over faster, higher damage output cards like Raichu XY and M-Rayquaza ROS that have a similar theme of bench-filling.

Playability:
I thought a nice bit about making the card competitive (and as much so as you'd expect for a Vivillon card). It holds an 'expected' 200 damage cap with 8 applicable Pokémon on the bench, but in situations such as the mirror-match it could reach 360. Pikachu being a Pokémon for applicable damage bonus (as well as complimenting the theme) works nicely as well because you could also play Raichu GEN to utilise the large bench and be playing a single prize attacker.

Alternatively, a fair play style would be to play it more conservatively. Once your opponent has a few energy attached (which they can potentially play around doing), you could search out Vileplume (AOR) and more Vivillon-GX as extra attackers, switching between them freely to sponge damage. Bug Hug with a Choice Band also hits for 60 damage for a single energy which is good for softening large health attackers outside of one-shot range (it also allows for comfortable Max Potion play).

Kricketune [G] HP: 90
Stage 1 - Evolves from Kricketot

kricketune.gif

Ability: Fine Tuning
If you have exactly 5 cards in your hand; ignore all Energy costs for each of this Pokémon's attacks.

[G] Crescendo Call
Search for deck for as many Kricketot cards you have in your Deck. Reveal them, and then place them in your Hand. Shuffle your Deck afterwards.

[G][G] Harmonic Crescendo 50+
This attack does 50 damage plus 10 damage for each Kricketot or Kricketune on your Bench.

Weakness - [R] x2
Resistance -
Retreat Cost - [C]
"It signals its emotions with its melodies. Scientists are studying these melodic patterns."

Fine Tuning Ability: Yanmega's Sonic Vision Ability (Steam Siege 7/114)
Crescendo Call: Deerling's Find a Friend (Fates Collide 8/124)
Harmonic Crescendo: Audino EX's Do The Wave (Fates Collide 84/124)

This card encourages the player to learn about the pros of swarming. Simply charge up a Crescendo Call to swarm your Bench with Kricketot cards. Harmonic Crescendo does a base 50 damage plus 10 for every Kricketot and/or Kricketune on your Bench, meaning you can do a base 80 damage before any other additions (Professor Kukui, Muscle Band, Choice Band).

The Ability; Fine Tuning's text is a reference to Beethoven's 5th Symphony. While strings were not the "show" or main player for it; they were still a big part of the symphony. The Ability is there to also encourage Players to value keeping their Hand small and prevent it from getting too cluttered with unplayable cards.

This card was created using X/Y cards; so this card was created with the X/Y series in mind.

Poliwag / HP: 50 / Water
~ Basic

060.png

-
[NO. 060 | Tadpole Pokémon | HT: 2'0'' | WT: 27.3 lbs.]

[Ability] Swirling Spiral
At any time during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is on your Bench, you may shuffle this Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your deck. If you do, flip a coin. If heads, your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Confused. If tails, discard a card from your hand.

[W] Rain Dance
You may attach as many [W] Energy cards from your hand to this Pokémon as you like during your next turn.

Weakness: [G] x2 | Resistance: -- | Retreat Cost: [C]
-
[This Pokémon isn't very good at walking yet, so it prefers to swim as long as possible.]

What? I wasn't lying.

Back