Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: December 2017 - Winter (Items/Supporters/Stadiums) ~ Full Judging Up!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I'm just going to extend the deadline for submitting your entry by another 24 hours (from the timestamp of this post), since it has been the Christmas period and I'm sure some of you have busy being part of that. ^.^

P3DS

UK VGC Regs Champ 2015
Sorry for lateness, but I thought to add my submission... even if it is a tad late:

Old Ferrum Town – Trainer - Stadium

(Spring Side)
Choose which way this card faces before you play it. Once during this ↓ player’s turn, that player may search their deck for a card that evolves from 1 of their Pokémon and put it onto that Pokémon. (This counts as evolving that Pokémon.) Shuffle their deck afterwards.

(Winter Side)
Choose which way this card faces before you play it. Once during this ↓ player’s turn, that player may search their deck for 2 basic energy cards and attach them to their Pokémon in any way you like. Shuffle their deck afterwards.

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can't play this card.

Ignore the stuff saying which side it is. It won't be on there normally. Plus, I couldn't really turn the text upside down. It's based on Old Ferrum Town, from Pokken, with has 3 different versions of the stage: Normal (I'd call it spring), Winter and Snow Gift. The card has Spring and Winter represented.

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
I just want to say good luck to everyone this month. I'm loving these winter themed cards and can't wait to see the results!

aschefield101

is behind you !
Definately soon™ - most likely text before image (that time of year as you can imagine). Also Kang, lightning pack is now up, 4 to go :D

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Fan-Voting Results

And the results! I had to unfortunately ignore a few votes since they were made by the same person.

Image-Based:
1st:
@TheNyanCatXD- Winterful Wonderland - 37 points
2nd: @MarshalBry - Lost Mountainscape - 32.5 points
3rd: @professorlight - Snowman - 11.5 points

Text-Based:
1st:
@Professor_jplap - Snow Machine - 7 points
2nd: @P3DS - Old Ferrum Town - 5.5 points
3rd: @GM DracLord - Sack of Coal - 4 points
4th: @jessalakasam - Candice's Z-Crystal - 3.5 points

Congratulations to the winners of the fan's choice voting! The official voting is in the works, and it shouldn't be too long before they're up. Otherwise, see you in January!

JadeGemTM

Forum Mod
Congrats all ya'll that placed and good luck in the judging everyone!

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
Fan-Voting Results

And the results! I had to unfortunately ignore a few votes since they were made by the same person.

Image-Based:
1st:
@TheNyanCatXD- Winterful Wonderland - 37 points
2nd: @MarshalBry - Lost Mountainscape - 32.5 points
3rd: @professorlight - Snowman - 11.5 points

Text-Based:
1st:
@Professor_jplap - Snow Machine - 7 points
2nd: @P3DS - Old Ferrum Town - 5.5 points
3rd: @GM DracLord - Sack of Coal - 4 points
4th: @jessalakasam - Candice's Z-Crystal - 3.5 points

Congratulations to the winners of the fan's choice voting! The official voting is in the works, and it shouldn't be too long before they're up. Otherwise, see you in January!
This is a first for me. Thank you to the voters

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Image-Based Results

Judge: @Jabberwock

Now with spoilers!

FfH0lii.jpg

Ahh, excellent––I love a good two-sided Stadium. I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I’ve seen one of these attempted, so good on you for giving it a go. It’s exceptionally interesting that you opted to use SM-era blanks for the base, rather than BWXY. Admittedly not sure if I like that or not, but props for trying something new.

I like what you were thinking with the Garbodor counter side, but it does present a problem if something like Night March for the Lost Zone were ever to be printed (which iirc you did a few months ago). Willing to give you the benefit of the doubt here, though, as nothing like that currently exists.

Overall it’s nice. Good design space, dealing with the discard in a creative way. Would perhaps have liked to see more of a winter focus, but it does meet the requirement.

Wording errors:
- One side says “Once … that player may” and the other says “Once … they may”. These should be consistent. [-2 points]
- Cards are put “in” the Lost Zone. Not “into” it. [-1 point]

Fonts and Placement errors:
- Name of card should be bolder. [-2 points]
- Justify text. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 12/15
(Decent design space with the Lost Zone.)
Wording: 12/15
(Mostly fine.)
Fonts and Placement: 7/10
(A couple things.)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(I could see something like this if the Lost Zone were to make a comeback.)
Aesthetics: 4/5
(Art is a bit muted; would also suggest a brighter holosheet.)
Total: 40/50

DwGxHGY.jpg

First things first––that’s brilliant art. Major Aesthetics points just for that. Sadly it seems with the SM-era they’re moving into 3D-designed art for Stadiums. Wish they’d do more like this. :/

I actually really love the design, too. One of the things I love about older formats (particularly 2008-11) is that Evolutions were so insanely consistent that you could actually get away with running multiple 1-0-1 lines in the same deck as techs. This is an interesting new spin on making that possible, but I worry it would be format-defining. It also means that the power level of Stage 2’s would have to take a sizable hit for a few sets. Going to dock a couple cautious points for potential game-breaking combos at some point down the line.

Wording errors:
- “EX” and “GX” should be italicized. [-1.5 points]

- On-point.

Creativity/Originality: 14/15
(An excellent way to make tech Evolutions more viable in the current format.)
Wording: 13.5/15
(Minor italics error.)
Fonts and Placement: 10/10
(On-point.)
Believability/Playability: 3/5
(Potentially game-breaking.)
Aesthetics: 4.5/5
(Beautiful art.)
Total: 45/50

yTG_ZXUXrO4NZXtcxQJv5gGh2ft-WnGEBKXFR_wftJUwUQItEFBmoHZw5_Djq3XMLh_9laOsM9cLb6Gmqd0KJW5AEyU_qdKZWnUXpgOzoOg43dc-jUzdIpt2WUsG1MioJLYb9Jdt0RgeKh8IYyGmsNjs5agQTT5-zwXufFDBo3o9d1USr_IVWxm2_AOheBD4JgcBgpCpJiG5hwhLR2fC7eHMwdHNBoOQk5yQ_lJr4TYNIYr51hWGn-ncl2DAEJlKCxQuEQazV_g9jVeajmvyWVMRPcw-p3PXOWmbwSlvDGI1JBgucE2xw4uI-2lu0XCXxH4xR6lNrjJWCwh6RfkMuY1dep59G8f8iBLQOTA445StWHg_-2vEZdWtPvsQ6qcPUkowCMs3A8NKobZrWNkh3LoHKxkmNqSEAn74bbRbHbA_bBkw809OwoxGQwhAFiXNLa8ZOWnTX5nOBAmjEb-Ao4IGKOTJAQP6THn6KxDFs7WuLL_R0d4ap4DaI6mSeJVcTHUj3_2l9s3skiC4aARcP44AWBWGo2jjYoU7m2Svvtt5dyYSQ0-JxKWuFW9dwGptEJd5100JmoZKP1_DbBgG9oc0G_bVTvtgOHPU-xDdhXQ33FYvTecfEwS5dr8IYr5X6Acql_3NYHMATfJ9hwtDPkD25LeDePeJIL0=w675-h949-no

Was intrigued to see what you’d do for this, of all months.

Definitely an interesting gimmick––I’ve actually considered something like this in the past myself. Unfortunately, it’s ridiculously hard to get right in terms of balance. Robo Substitute executes it very well, such that if you want to attack and have Robosub active then you have to use an attack like Donphan PLS’s Spinning Turn, which is often somewhat slower in terms of power. With what you’ve got here, you can keep whatever you want Active, and attack with whatever you please. Yes it’s slightly less of a sure thing due to the coin flips, but your opponent also can’t use a gust-effect to get around it. Would be very worried about the power levels on this one, I’m afraid.

Art’s neat. I quite like your Trainer blank. ^.^

Wording errors:
- Middle paragraph should read “When your Active Pokémon would be affected by an opponent’s attack, flip a coin. If heads, all effects of that attack are done to this Pokémon instead” or something along those lines. [-3 points]; would ordinarily dock more but I’ll chalk part of it up to a custom blank.

- Your blank, your rules.

(An interesting concept.)
Wording: 12/15
(A rewording thing.)
(Free pass for custom blank.)
Believability/Playability: 1/5
(Worrying power levels.)
Aesthetics: 4/5
(Very nicely executed.)
Total: 39/50

blizzard_pb_cac_by_dashking2007-dby13xm.png

This one would definitely be game-changing, I reckon. In the XY era, it would basically prevent you from being able to retrieve certain cards with VS Seeker or Puzzle of Time, or Dowsing Machine if we go further back to BW. That in and of itself vastly changes how one plays the game and even how one builds a deck.

Do I like the mechanic? I think I do. It’s interesting, sure, and unlike anything PCL has ever really done before. Creativity points for that. I’m hesitant because it’s just so out there that you actually need quite a few clauses to prevent weird ruling things from coming up, and would clearly have quite the impact on a metagame. But yeah, I applaud the creativity, and so I reckon I do like the card.

Wording errors:
- Need a clause specifying whether all Trainer cards are put in the Lost Zone when you play them or any time you would discard one, such as through the effect of Professor Sycamore or Ultra Ball. [-3 points]
- A Stadium card addresses both players equally–– “Each player”, not “you and your opponent”. [-2 points]
- “trainers” -> “Trainer cards” [-2 points]
- Don’t need “now”, because the Stadium isn’t a single-use thing. [-1 point]
- Capitalize Lost Zone. [-1 point]
- “discarded” -> “discarding” [-1 point]

- Card name is weirdly off in terms of placement––should be all the way on the left, and vertically centered in the name bar. [-2 points]
- Margins for effect text aren’t wide enough. [-2 points]
- All bottom text (Illus, etc) is off in both font and placement. [-3 points]

(Cool new design space.)
Wording: 5/15
(Quite a few errors.)
Fonts and Placement: 3/10
(Looks eyeballed.)
Believability/Playability: 4/5
(Cautious point docked for the effect being kinda out-there.)
Aesthetics: 3/5
(Seems fine.)
Total: 27/50

December_CaC_2017.png

Oh goody, almost a Tropical Beach. I have to hope that this one would be more accessible to the general public than Beach ever was. :U

I was actually more of a fan of the paler gold that you had at one point down the line. If you compare it to scans of Secret Rare Item cards pre-XY, they tend to be paler in color than this. Not a thing I’d dock points for, though. Just something to keep in mind.

Considering it’s basically a Tropical Beach analogue, I’m not sure it really improves upon it. One of the great things about Beach is that it was usable for both players––if your opponent played down a Beach and started getting their amazing set-up, you could also use it to pick up some of the slack. Winterful Wonderland, in contrast, is extremely one-sided by referencing only a single type of Pokémon. It’s true that you often won’t get much more use out of it than a few cards simply by allowable Bench space, but those few cards mean a great deal––the equivalent of ending your turn with something like Lapras-GX’s Collect, or even more.

Wording errors:
- “their” -> “his or her” for pre-SM-era stuff. [-1 point]

- On-point.

Creativity/Originality: 11/15
(Builds upon an existing concept in an interesting way.)
Wording: 14/15
(Only one minor error.)
(On-point.)
Believability/Playability: 3/5
(Points docked for one-sidedness.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(Checks all the boxes.)
Total: 43/50

3rd Place: MarshalBry’s Lost Mountainscape, with 40/50 points.
2nd Place: TheNyanCatXD’s Winterful Wonderland, with 43/50 points.
1st Place: Kavross’s Forest of Snowmen, with 45/50 points.

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Text-Based Results

Judge: @Vracken

Now with spoilers!

Jadethepokemontrainer
Trainer - Gifts Prism Star - Item
You can't have more than 1 Prism Star card with the same name in your deck. If a Prism Star card would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.
Each player flips a coin until they get tails. For each heads, that player may either draw a card or have their opponent draw a card. For each tails, that player must discard a card from their hand.
You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before you attack).
Creativity/Originality 20/20
Strange card with some pretty cool interaction possibilities.
Wording 14/15
-1 “For each tails, that player must discard a card” is mute when players stop flipping coins once they flip a tails.
Believability/Playability 15/15
I can’t think of anything that makes this unbelieveable or unplayable. It is well restricted by being a Prism card, and I can’t see any opportunities for abuse, though I think it might be a little narrow, and could help your opponent more than it could help yourself, which probably holds it back.
Overall 49/50

rainyman123
Christmas Comet ◇ - Trainer - Item
You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).
◇ (Prism Star) Rule - You can’t have more than 1 Prism Star card with the same name in your deck. If a Prism Star card is discarded, put it in the Lost Zone.
Each player flips a coin for each of their opponent's Pokémon in play. For each heads, that player searches their deck for a card, reveals it, and puts it into their hand. Then, each player shuffles his or her deck. (Your opponent does this first.) Then, each player shakes hands with their opponent.
Creativity/Originality 16/20
Certainly creative, and fits the festive theme pretty well with the hand shaking, though I am not sure why a comet makes you shake hands :p.
Wording 13/15
- 1 Prism rules should end with “instead”.
- 1 Text in brackets is not italicized.
Believability/Playability 13/15
The shaking hands part makes me think of an unset which I love, but I am not sure that it is really believable. Otherwise, I worry that this card could be incredibly strong, getting to search up even just 2 cards is really strong, (which would be below average if your opponent has a full Bench). It is downpowered because your opponent searches, but because they search first, you likely grab something like an N and render that point mute, and the fact it is a Prism Card, but I still worry that it could be too powerful.
Overall 42/50

DashKing
Season’s Blessings
Item-Tool
Attach a Pokémon Tool to one of your Pokémon that doesn’t already have a Pokémon Tool attached to it.
This Pokémon is now the type of the Defending Pokémon’s Weakness (If the Defending Pokémon doesn’t have a weakness, this Pokémon is now typeless) This Pokémon’s non-[C] attack costs are now the type of the Defending Pokémon’s Weakness (If the Defending Pokémon has no weakness, ignore all non-[C] Energy in this Pokémon’s attacks).
You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before you attack).
Certainly an interesting card, though the flavour is a bit of a puzzle.

Wording 13.5/15
- 0.5 Missing fullstop
- 1 text in brackets is not italicized
Believability/Playability 7/15
Free pass to hit everything for weakness is pretty worrying, particularly since the biggest downside is your energy type costs, which is completely negated by having a Pokemon that only requires colourless energy. It also likely dodges most weakness matchups, as few Pokemon hit their own type as weakness (outside of Psychic types). There are few Pokemon that have no weakness, but this would push any attack over the top as it now provides either - Double Damage, or incredibly potent energy acceleration, though the latter’s situation is likely too rare to matter.
Overall 36.5/50

GekkisaiDaiNi
Trainer (Item) Snow Blower
Discard up to 2 [W] Energy from your opponent's Pokémon.
You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).
Creativity/Originality 11/20
Very simple, not an effect that has exactly been done though

Wording 14/15
-1 Before your attack should be in Italics
Believability/Playability 12/15
I worry that the restriction isn’t limiting enough, similar cards either are special energy only, or a coinflip. This instead affects a whole type, and any cards that provide multiple energy types including water. Not to mention this gets rid of two energy which could be backbreaking enough to make water decks too risky to use.
Edit Penalty: -2
Overall 35/50

Professor_jplap
Trainer - Item
Snow Machine
Play this card as a 70 hp [M] basic Pokemon.
This Pokemon can use the attack on this card
[O] Make snow
Discard as many [W] energy from your hand as you like.
This attack does 10 damage to each of your opponents Pokemon for each energy discarded in this way.
This card can't retreat. Your opponent takes 1 prize card upon Knocking Out this card.
you may play as many item cards as you like during your turn (before you attack)
Fairly creative, though still borrowing preexisting effects, something notable about this entry is that it kinda circumnavigates the point of this month using trainers, though there are no rules against that.

Wording 9/15
- 2 Hp, Basic, Snow (attack names), Prize, You should be capitalized.
- 1 should be Energy card, as Energy is specific for attached Energy cards.
- 1 Energy and you should be capitalized.
- 1 Pokemon é not accented x3.
- 1 Text in brackets should be Italicized.
Believability/Playability 14.5/15
Similar things have been done in the past (Robo Substitute) so I could see something like this being made. Slightly worried it could be really strong due to the spread, though it is a huge resource cost to really buff the power, and it is conditioned to only [W] Energy, so it should be fine.
Overall 39.5/50

Ilovepokemom
Candice - Trainers - Supporter
Search your deck for 3 (W) pokemon and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterword.
You may only play 1 supporter a turn (before you attack).
Creativity/Originality 13/20
Pretty standard card. Flavour works out, though otherwise just a variation on preexisting cards.

Wording 9/15
- 1 “Search your deck for 3…” should be “Search your deck for up to 3 …” otherwise you would could only search for 3. Might be intentional, but also means the card will fail if you have fewer than 3 water types in your deck.
- 1 Above should also reveal cards, as per conditional search cards.
- 1 Pokemon not capitalized, and é not accented.
- 1 “Shuffle your deck afterword.” should be “then shuffle your deck”. Afterword is also misspelt (points were not docked for that though)
- 1 “You may only play 1 supporter a turn (before you attack).” should be “You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).”
Could see TPCi making a slightly more powerful version of this card. It seems a little narrow to me personally.
Overall 37/50

P3DS
Old Ferrum Town – Trainer - Stadium
(Spring Side)
Choose which way this card faces before you play it. Once during this ↓ player’s turn, that player may search their deck for a card that evolves from 1 of their Pokémon and put it onto that Pokémon. (This counts as evolving that Pokémon.) Shuffle their deck afterwards.
(Winter Side)
Choose which way this card faces before you play it. Once during this ↓ player’s turn, that player may search their deck for 2 basic energy cards and attach them to their Pokémon in any way you like. Shuffle their deck afterwards.
This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can't play this card.
Creativity/Originality 17/20
Awesome card as both effects are pretty interesting, and the dual sided stadiums allow for a lot of interesting play. What i really like about this one, is that most decks will want both effects, meaning it doesn’t run into the issues of some of the previous stadiums where one side helps the user and then the other side doesn’t even matter, which at least in my opinion kinda defeated the point of those stadiums). Finally I love the flavour from Pokken.

Wording 12/15
-2 “Shuffle their deck afterwards” should be “that player shuffles their deck”
Believability/Playability 10/15
Wow, this is an incredibly potent card. I worry it might be a little strong as Winter side will most of the time be better than the Spring side, but even that side is incredibly strong, so it is hard to judge the balance. My main concern is that 2 basics pushes it over the top as that can be a huge powerspike since you can then attach a third energy. Otherwise it is certainly playable.

Overall 39/50

The Psychic Sorcerer
Trainer-Item-Snow Blower
Put 1 [W] type pokemon on the field and all cards attached to it in your hand
you may play as many item cards as you like during your turn(before you attack)
Creativity/Originality 13/20
Pretty standard card, theme matched. No issues, but otherwise pre-existing effect

Wording 9.5/15
- 1 type is not necessary as it is a component of [W].
- 1 Pokemon not capitalized, and é not accented.
- 1 missing fullstops at the end of sentences x2.
- 1 You and Item should be capitalized.
- 0.5 Missing the space between “turn” and “(“ for the Item rules reminder text.

Definitely playable, and probably not too strong due to type restriction.
Overall 37.5/50

GM Draclord
[TRAINER] [ITEM]
Sack of Coal
Team Santa Clause
Attach this Pokémon Tool to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon-GX that doesn't already have a Pokémon Tool attached to it.

The attacks of the Pokémon this card is attached does 50 less damage to your Pokémon.
When this card is removed from a Pokémon for any reason, put this card in its owner's discard pile.

Creativity/Originality 12/20
Simple, and reminiscent of the Team Flare Gear Jamming Net hurts the creativity a fair bit unfortunately, though the restriction of GX’s only is something new.

Wording 11/15
- 4 “The attacks of the Pokémon this card is attached does 50 less damage to your Pokémon” should be “The attacks of the Pokémon this card is attached to do 20 less damage to all Defending Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)” or alternatively, if you want it to include your benched Pokemon, “all Defending Pokemon” could be replaced with “your Pokemon”.
Believability/Playability 14/15
Similar card has been printed, and it has a restriction to only GX’s that I believe would properly balance it though 50 is almost certainly too high.

Overall 37/50

NinJamezor
[TRAINER] Call of the Ice Lord [SUPPORTER]
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a [W] Pokémon. Do 1 of the following.
  • Put that Pokémon onto your Bench and put damage counters on it its remaining HP is 50.
  • Discard that Pokémon and place 4 damage counters on 1 of your opponent's Pokémon.
  • Put that Pokémon into the Lost Zone and put 3 cards from your discard pile on the bottom of your deck.
Shuffle the other cards into your deck.
I love modal cards, and these certainly have some interesting and unique effects, though I do not really understand the flavour, or what ties the third effect to the earlier two.

Wording 11.5/15
- 1 “it its” is probably missing the word so
- 0.5 “Shuffle the other cards into your deck” should be “Shuffle the other cards back into your deck.”
- 2 missing You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).
Nothing stands out at making this unplayable or Broken. The most powerful effect I can see requires you to give up a card permanently, and the damage effect is more powerful than other similar supporters, though it does potentially mess with your resources in discarding a Pokemon, though that sometimes is also the goal/useful depending on your strategy.
Overall 41.5/50

jessalakasam
Trainer-Item-Candice's Z-Crystal
You can only use this card if you have played Candice during your turn
Choose 1:
  • If you have already used your GX attack, you may use another GX Attack during this turn
  • You may use another supporter during this turn (before your attack).
  • You may heal all damage from each of your [W] Pokémon.play
Z-Crystal Rule: You can’t have more than 1 ACE SPEC card in your deck.
Pre-existing mechanics (ACE SPEC, and Modal) are a good fit for each other in my opinion and that hasn’t been done before. Most of the effects are fairly standard sounding, though the first option hasn’t been done yet.
Wording 10.5/15
- 1 missing full stop at the end of sentences x3 (I assume that the one for the last one was simply misplaced into the sentence.
- 0.5 GX attack should not be capitalized.
- 1 “during this turn” the “during” part is unnecessary.
- 1 Z-Crystal Rule mentions ACE SPEC’s despite not other mention of ACE SPEC cards. If the rules are the same, ACE SPEC should be replaced by Z-Crystal.
I personally love modal cards and ACE SPECS, leads to more interesting play, however this might be a little strong even with the restriction of having to have played Candice this turn (which is quite playable on its own). It is restricted mostly to water decks which downpowers it a little bit.
Edit Penalty -2
Overall 38.5/50

Sup3rTaco
Trainer - Stadium - Ice Island
Once during each player's turn, that player may search their deck for a basic [W] energy and attach it to one of their [W] Pokemon.
If Articuno-GX is the turn players active Pokemon, that player may heal 30 damage from 2 Pokemon with [W] energy attached to it.
Flavour is great, glad you explained it though otherwise I might have missed it. Card is full of preexisting effects, but it is a nice mix and match, and while I am usually wary of referencing a specific card, I do like the fact this one does, though I potentially would have made it any Articuno card just to avoid Articuno GX being useless, and then this card also being useless (though I suspect that free deck search Energy acceleration is more than strong enough on its own.)
Wording 10.5/15
-1 Energy should be capitalized x2
-0.5 should be Energy card, as they are cards until attached.
-0.5 one should be 1
-1 Pokemon é not accented x3.
-1.5 “If Articuno-GX is the turn players active Pokemon, that player may heal 30 damage from 2 Pokemon with [W] energy attached to it.” should be “If Articuno-GX is that players active Pokemon, that player may heal 30 damage from 2 of their Pokemon with [W] Energy attached to them.”
Believability/Playability 12/15
Energy acceleration for an entire type is pretty strong, not to mention the fact it can also heal those it accelerates to is a very powerful effect.
If I were to judge this with Articuno GX as well, then this would be completely busted, triple acceleration, only downside would be the difficulty of pulling off Sheer Cold.

Edit Penalty -2
Overall 37.5/50

Nekoban Ryo
Symbol of Sand & Ice
Trainer/Item/Pokémon Tool
Attach this Pokémon Tool to 1 of your Pokémon that doesn't already have a Pokémon Tool card attached to it.
This card can only be attached to Sandslash or Alolan Sandslash.
  • If this card is attached to Sandslash: Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your hand or deck for an Alolan Sandslash card and replace it with Sandslash. Shuffle your deck afterward. All [F] Energy attached to Alolan Sandslash count as [W] Energy.
  • If this card is attached to Alolan Sandslash: Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your hand or deck for a Sandslash card and replace it with Alolan Sandslash. Shuffle your deck afterward. All [W] Energy attached Sandslash count as [F] Energy.
Creativity/Originality 20/20
Modal is good, and it certainly is a very unique card. The effects of the cards (namely regarding energy) is pretty rare to the point I can’t remember seeing anything that does it beyond a couple of abilities that usually do all types.
Wording 12/15
-1 “Attach this Pokémon Tool to 1 of your Pokémon that doesn't already have a Pokémon Tool card attached to it.” should be “Attach a Pokémon Tool to 1 of your Pokémon that doesn’t already have a Pokémon Tool attached to it.“
-2 Missing Item usage reminder text

I like the idea of this card, though I am always wary of cards that only work with specific cards as using narrowness as an excuse for power, of which I do not think this does. It does however make this a bit of a build around me. Excellent for reducing the cost of building a deck that probably wants more of the evolution than of the basic. I doubt it would ever be made however due to complexity.
Edit Penalty -2
Overall 43/50

Nistua
Trainer - Item - Present Ball
Search your deck for 3 Pokémon with different names and reveal them. If you do, your opponent chooses one of them. Put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck. If you can't reveal 3 Pokémon with different names from your deck, this card does nothing.
Creativity/Originality 19/20
Takes existing effects and does something a little interesting with them, though not completely new, still fresh.

Wording 12.5/15
- 0.5 one should be 1
- 2 Missing what to do with the other two revealed cards.
I love this card. Awesome effect, plenty of interaction, a balanced effect that is strong early game, and gets weaker as the game goes on. Especially powerful with recursion but probably difficult to completely unbalance.
Overall 46.5/50

3rd Place: Nekoban Ryo’s Symbol of Sand & Ice, with 43/50 points.
2nd Place: Nitsua’s Present Ball, with 46.5/50 points.
1st Place: Jadethepokemontrainer’s Gifts ◇, with 49/50 points.

Last edited:

JadeGemTM

Forum Mod
Yooooo! I must say I definitely did not expect that this month! I actually didn't think my entry was that great :p

Everyone else did an amazing job, so congrats to all of you guys! ^w^

aschefield101

is behind you !
Congrats to everyone!

The 1st, 2nd and 3rd placings reward cards can now be found on the DeviantArt Groups Hall of Fame page!

n.b. small context for both text and image based portions, people placing in the top 3 get a digital reward trainer card, placed into the Hall of Fame on DeviantArt!

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
I actually placed? I wasn't expecting that at all since I'm usually rusty at spoilers!

I do wonder still about the wording, though. Are there any official cards that require you to shuffle your deck after letting you choose a card from your deck OR hand? I felt that something like this would be more correct, but I couldn't find any references with this wording:

"Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your hand or deck for an Alolan Sandslash card and replace it with Sandslash. If you chose to search your deck, shuffle your deck afterward. All [F] Energy attached to Alolan Sandslash count as [W] Energy."

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
The reason you would find very little (no?) references for that wording is because it is abnormal to search both your hand and your deck in an effect like this - you normally search one or the other. The wording is perfectly acceptable, then, considering there is no good references for it, although I would recommend wording it without the "choose to" to remove clunkiness.

If you want to get more technical, you don't actually search your hand. You would instead simply "Put an Alolan Sandslash from your hand...", or have an if clause: "If you have an Alolan Sandlash in your hand...", requiring extra sentences and unnecessary complexity. That's probably the main reason for there being no real "look at both your hand and your deck" effects.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
The reason you would find very little (no?) references for that wording is because it is abnormal to search both your hand and your deck in an effect like this - you normally search one or the other. The wording is perfectly acceptable, then, considering there is no good references for it, although I would recommend wording it without the "choose to" to remove clunkiness.

If you want to get more technical, you don't actually search your hand. You would instead simply "Put an Alolan Sandslash from your hand...", or have an if clause: "If you have an Alolan Sandlash in your hand...", requiring extra sentences and unnecessary complexity. That's probably the main reason for there being no real "look at both your hand and your deck" effects.
Should I have noted that all damage counters, etc. are on the new Pokémon (as seen on older Deoxys and Castform cards) or is that bit excluded on modern cards? I'm not sure if there are any BW-onward form change cards...

pikachuuuu101

Custom Title
Should I have noted that all damage counters, etc. are on the new Pokémon (as seen on older Deoxys and Castform cards) or is that bit excluded on modern cards? I'm not sure if there are any BW-onward form change cards...
Ninja boy is the closest I can think of