Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: April 2018 - Member's Pokemon ~ Official Judging Up!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
ZVa5rhX.jpg

Welcome to the April round of the Create-A-Card!

The theme for this month is Member’s Pokémon! Playing off the Owner’s Pokémon mechanic, your card should be of a Pokémon that reflects another member (of your choice) the best. For example, I might pick @aschefield101 and Mew, since he has an unhealthy obsession of that Pokémon. The card name would read “aschefield101’s Mew”, but besides that, how you choose to implement this mechanic is up to you (and that might depend on the era you choose).

As an artist, you will not be restricted to a specific card era when creating your card. However, if not otherwise stated, we will be assuming that the card you create is for the current TCG era.

This contest has two sections, text-based and image-based fakes. For text-based fakes, all you have to do is create a card in text form and post it in here! For the image-based fake, you’ll need the help of some software to let your creations come to life. But one thing remains important between both of them: your cards must be completely original!

Registration

• To sign up you must reply to the thread below. Make sure to include whether you’re in for text or image-based fakes!
    --
  • You may register with a partner and work together on the same card. This way each member can use their different talents and combine their skills, especially if one of you is an artist and the other is a TCG player. (Feel free to post in the thread that you’re looking for a partner if you want one.)
    --
  • We have a total of 20 spaces available for text-based entries and 20 for image-based. If you’ve never done an image-based card before, now is a great time to learn! PokéBeach has many card blanks and guides available for use.

Judging

--------
Text-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    We’re all tired of effectless attacks! Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Pokémon Power / Body / Ability / attack effects. Let’s see something cool and new!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of card you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.

Text-based fakers may format their entries any way they choose, but for those who are new or would like a guideline to follow, this is a simple formatting guideline you can follow:

Pokémon – Type – HP50
    Stage 1 – Evolves from Pokémon

Ability: Name
    Ability Effect

[R][C] Attack 20
    Attack Effect

Weakness: Fire (x2)
    Resistance: Psychic (-20)
    Retreat: [C] [C] [C]
    Pokédex Information

Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration. We will assume that your card is being created for the current TCG era unless otherwise stated, so if you are making a card for a previous era, you must mention this in your entry post.
Max Points: 50

--------
Image-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    This should be a given. With the proper photo editing tools, let your imagination run wild! This can involve innovating new gameplay mechanics, blanks, templates, etc.
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.
    ---
  3. Fonts and Placement
    Correct fonts are imperative when creating realistic fakes. Placement of text / symbols / etc. is also taken into consideration.
    Total: 10 points
    ---
  4. Believability/Playability
    Because this division of the contest is so image-heavy, the believability and playability takes a backseat here. However, it’s still worth a portion of the total points, so try to keep it in the realm of believable! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.
    Total: 5 points
    ---
  5. Aesthetics
    Aesthetics is all about how your card looks as a complete whole. Aspects of this category include using creative and appropriate artwork, using neat or custom blanks, and overall having an appealing card creation. Additionally, You may not use existing artwork from the TCG for your cards. If you’d like to use Ken Sugimori stock artwork, you may do so, but it must be transformative in nature.
    Total: 5 points
Max Points: 50

So that’s the point breakdown for this month’s Create-A-Card. @Luispipe8 will be judging the text-based portion of the contest and @bbninjas will be judging the image-based part.

Keen to join the judging team? You can learn how to apply here.

General Rules

• For those entering image-based, you must include the symbol here on your card (such as the set symbol) or else your entry won’t be accepted. It was designed by the lovely Nekoban Ryo who continuously creates resources for the faking world and faker himself. In addition, we do not allow any image-based entries that have been made using automatic, online card generators.
    --
  • If you edit your post you’ll have an instant deduction of 2 points from your overall score, and posting your entry again on a different post also deducts 2 points. When you submit, make sure you’re done! If you mess up the tags or have a similar coding disaster, contact myself or the month’s judges as to get it fixed. If you forget to credit someone, do so in a new post instead of editing.
    --
  • Participants who fail to submit a card by the deadline, if the particular portion is full, will automatically lose 2 points for next round (similar to losing 2 points for the current round for editing). If the portion you have signed-up for is full and if you wish to drop out, you must do so by the 22nd of April at 12 PM to not incur the penalty. Continuing to fail to post a submission in future rounds will result in a possible ban from the contest for a couple of months. Please keep a close eye on the deadline.
    --
  • All CAC entries should not be posted elsewhere in the PokéBeach forums while the current month’s contest is ongoing. If you have a personal thread or gallery where you post your fake card creations, you must wait to post your CAC card there until the contest is complete and full judging results have been posted. This is to ensure that CAC judges can continue to give proper feedback both within the contest and in the forums.
    --
  • Members will be able to weigh in on their favorite fakers! Members are free to vote for ONE text-based entry and ONE image-based entry, both spectators and entrants, though we encourage participants to not vote for themselves. A poll will be linked in-thread shortly after the deadline has passed, or votes can be PMed to myself (@bbninjas).
    --
  • Artists (illustrators) are free to post in this thread, letting participants know that they are available.
    --
  • All entries should meet the forum rules. You should always credit the artist, and never use someone else’s art without their permission, else it is considered art theft.

Deadline: April 27th (Fri.) 12:00pm EST
Here’s a deadline countdown for convenience: [link]​

Anticipated Entrants

Image-Based:
  1. Nyan
  2. TeamAqua4Life
  3. MarshalBry
  4. baconbasket
  5. Jabberwock
  6. This could be you!

Text-Based:
  1. Anime Psyclone
  2. Zero Umbreon
  3. GM Draclord
  4. GekkisaiDaiNi
  5. NinjaPenguin
  6. TheFlyingPidove
  7. rainyman123
  8. double o squirtle
  9. Acetrainer_Samwise
  10. blahblahbal
  11. Professor_jplap
  12. DashKing
  13. Vracken
  14. Dusk Form Lycanroc
  15. VioletValkyrie
  16. The Squirtle Squad
  17. DoubleAACE
  18. Lord Goomy
Bold names means I have seen your entry in this thread.

Want to help advertise the contest? Just paste the code below for the banner in your sig!

Code:
[url=http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/pok%C3%A9beach-create-a-card-april-2018-members-pokemon-sign-ups.146889/][img]https://i.imgur.com/ZVa5rhX.jpg[/img][/url]

Credit goes to @Nekoban Ryo for the banner

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Also can I pick myself to make a card for?
Can we do ourselves, and does the Pokémon have to be related to the member?

I'm going to say 'no', that you can't choose yourself, since that sorta defeats the purpose of the theme. :p

To answer your second question Zero, the Pokemon that you choose should be related or otherwise representative of the member you chose. Also don't forget to say which portion you'd like to sign up for!

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
So regarding this month's theme, if somebody was to do a card based on me for example, would that card be named "Kangaflora's Kadabra" which would evolve from "Kangaflora's Abra"?

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
Vracken’s Gengar Stage 2 HP: 130 [P] (Evolves from Vracken’s Haunter)
No. 094 / Shadow Pokémon / HT: 4’11” / WT 89.3 lbs

Ability: Sweet Tooth
Once during your turn (before you attack) you may discard as many Energy cards attached to this Pokémon as you want. For each Energy you discard, heal 10 damage from this Pokémon.

[P] Meanie Madness
Flip a coin until you get tails. For each heads, put 1 damage counter on each Pokémon in play.

[P][C] I Know These Things 60
Your opponent can’t play any Pokémon from their hand to evolve the Defending Pokémon during their next turn.

Despite its love for fooling around, this Pokémon has a surprisingly low amount of respect for jokes.

Weakness: [D] x2 / Resistance: [C] -20 / Retreat: None

I wasn't gonna join, but then I heard this month's theme was members Pokemon. Naturally I had to make one based on Gengar. So regardless of whether or not this entry does well I'm still happy with it. As for reasoning...

Sweet Tooth: The guy has an um... obsession (Is that too weak of a word?) for chocolate. Stating multiple times that he'd take chocolate over me if he had room for another person on a rocket for two and the world was gonna end. As well as if he had room for a third, he would just take more chocolate.

Meanie Madness: Cos when stuff happens everyone gets involved and no one knows how long it'll last.

I Know These Things: For reference, I have been 12 for just over a year, and many other people are also stuck as teenagers and tweenagers. Why? Because he knows these things.

Dex entry: I didn't know if we could make up our own dex entries, but since I don't really care how well I do, I thought I'd make up my own. Anyone who knows Vracken knows he's kinda crazy, and that he just loves puns. Especially mine. Just loves them. Yup.

Love ya @Vracken! :video_game:

Edited, I'll take the -2

Last edited: