• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard PkmnTCG Noob - Tapu Lele GX/Lunala Psychic deck

Devadip

Aspiring Trainer
Hi!

I'm new to Pokémon TCG and I wanted to share a deck idea I had. I'm trying to pull a decent combo with what I have in terms of cards so far. I'm a total noob so I'm not even sure if it'll work. I haven't thought it through so that's why I need help. I only play with some friends atm.

I don't really have a good variety of Trainer Cards though. Maybe I could throw in Alolan Grimer/Muk for the insane ability Muk has (Ability cancel on Basic Pokémon)... I would have to make sure to use Tapu Lele GX ability before evolving Alolan Grimer though.

*Thoughts* It seems like a deck that can possibly deal decent damage to active Pkmns while they're asleep. It can also be used to build my bench by stalling the opponent's active Pokémon (also Mewtwo with Barrier has a possible stall potential). A charged up Tapu Lele GX with Choice Band could be a GX/EX destroyer? Pidgeot EX can poke the bench little by little.

Lunala can be used to distribute psychic energy to the benched Pokémon using Wings of the Moone + it deals 130 dmg. Could be used to power up Tapu Lele GX after a few attacks with Lunala's Shatter Shot (+40 dmg for each psychic energy attached to it).

Feel free to post your suggestions on how can I make this deck playable or better...

Here's what I have so far...

*Pokémon (18) : Alolan Grimer/Muk would also be interesting.

1x Mewtwo (EVO 51)
1x Tapu Lele GX (GR 137)
1x Pidgeot EX (EVO 64)
2x Cosmog (GR 64)
2x Cosmoem (GR 65)
1x Lunala (GR 61)
2x Trubbish (GR 50)
1x Garbodor (GR 51) --> Deals 20 dmg for each item card in opponent's discard pile
1x Corsola (S&M 36) --> Atk: Search deck for 2 basic Pokémon (deck to bench)
1x Alolan Grimer (GR 57)
1x Alolan Muk (GR 58) --> Ability: Basic Pokémon on field/players hands have no abilities.
1x Gastly (XY BREAKthrough 58)
1x Haunter (EVO 48) --> Atk: Dream Eater 80 dmg (if opponent is asleep)
1x Delibird (GR 26) --> Atk: Flip coin till you get tails. For each heads, search deck for a card (card to hand)
1x Mareanie (GR 39) --> Atk: Put a Pokémon from discard pile into hand

*Trainer Cards (32) :

2x Altar of the Moone --> For almost free retreat cost on all Pkmns with a Psychic energy
1x Skyla (XY BREAKthrough 148)
1x Repel
2x Ultra Ball
1x Choice Band
1x Float Stone --> Possibly for Garbodor (*** retreat cost) since Muk will stay on the bench
2x Nest Ball
2x Switch
2x Timer Ball
1x Professor Kukui
2x Hau
1x Potion
1x Energy Loto
1x Rescue Stretcher
1x Revive
2x Energy Retrieval
2x Mysty's Determination
1x Mallow
1x Pokédex
1x Super Potion
1x Brock's Grit --> Probably need one more for shuffle potential
2x Full Heal --> Useful with Hypno's sleep ability maybe...
1x Professor Oak's Hint

*Energy (10) : *Not sure how many I should have here*

1x Double Colorless Energy (need more double energies)
9x Psychic Energy

*60 cards total

Thanks for your time! :)

Last edited:
Hi!

I'm new to Pokémon TCG and I wanted to share a deck idea I had. I'm trying to pull a decent combo with what I have in terms of cards so far. I'm a total noob so I'm not even sure if it'll work. I haven't thought it through so that's why I need help. I only play with some friends atm.

I don't really have a good variety of Trainer Cards though. Maybe I could throw in Alolan Grimer/Muk for the insane ability Muk has (Ability cancel on Basic Pokémon)... I would have to make sure to use Tapu Lele GX ability before evolving Alolan Grimer though.

*Thoughts* It seems like a deck that can possibly deal decent damage to active Pkmns while they're asleep. It can also be used to build my bench by stalling the opponent's active Pokémon (also Mewtwo with Barrier has a possible stall potential). A charged up Tapu Lele GX with Choice Band could be a GX/EX destroyer? Pidgeot EX can poke the bench little by little.

Lunala can be used to distribute psychic energy to the benched Pokémon using Wings of the Moone + it deals 130 dmg. Could be used to power up Tapu Lele GX after a few attacks with Lunala's Shatter Shot (+40 dmg for each psychic energy attached to it).

Feel free to post your suggestions on how can I make this deck playable or better...

Here's what I have so far...

*Pokémon (18) : Alolan Grimer/Muk would also be interesting.

1x Mewtwo (EVO 51)
1x Tapu Lele GX (GR 137)
1x Pidgeot EX (EVO 64)
2x Cosmog (GR 64)
2x Cosmoem (GR 65)
1x Lunala (GR 61)
2x Trubbish (GR 50)
1x Garbodor (GR 51) --> Deals 20 dmg for each item card in opponent's discard pile
1x Corsola (S&M 36) --> Atk: Search deck for 2 basic Pokémon (deck to bench)
1x Alolan Grimer (GR 57)
1x Alolan Muk (GR 58) --> Ability: Basic Pokémon on field/players hands have no abilities.
1x Gastly (XY BREAKthrough 58)
1x Haunter (EVO 48) --> Atk: Dream Eater 80 dmg (if opponent is asleep)
1x Delibird (GR 26) --> Atk: Flip coin till you get tails. For each heads, search deck for a card (card to hand)
1x Mareanie (GR 39) --> Atk: Put a Pokémon from discard pile into hand

*Trainer Cards (32) :

2x Altar of the Moone --> For almost free retreat cost on all Pkmns with a Psychic energy
1x Skyla (XY BREAKthrough 148)
1x Repel
2x Ultra Ball
1x Choice Band
1x Float Stone --> Possibly for Garbodor (*** retreat cost) since Muk will stay on the bench
2x Nest Ball
2x Switch
2x Timer Ball
1x Professor Kukui
2x Hau
1x Potion
1x Energy Loto
1x Rescue Stretcher
1x Revive
2x Energy Retrieval
2x Mysty's Determination
1x Mallow
1x Pokédex
1x Super Potion
1x Brock's Grit --> Probably need one more for shuffle potential
2x Full Heal --> Useful with Hypno's sleep ability maybe...
1x Professor Oak's Hint

*Energy (10) : *Not sure how many I should have here*

1x Double Colorless Energy (need more double energies)
9x Psychic Energy

*60 cards total

Thanks for your time! :)

Hope all is well, the first time making a deck is challenging because not used to how a set up should go. For your deck you want to have multiples of your good cards to increase odds of getting them. With what you have in here, looks like you want to go psychic which is not bad especially with the GR Garbador. I know you say you do not have alot of trainers but you can get pretty cheap some good ones.
Id play supporters:
3-4 prof sycamores
2 N
1 Lysandre

For trainers, id play 4 ultra bal to help get Muk, garbador or Tapu Lele quickly and more consistently. Id take out the 1 float stone and add 2nd choice band. With altar of mooone you dont need float stone, if you have to discard 1 energy for retreating it better than taking 1 spot for a float stone. You do not really need trainers like potion, full heal, super potion and revive. They are not impactful and take up room that better cards could be used. 4 Trainers mail would greatly help with consistency and playing 4 VS seekers; i know those are not the cheapest but if you have any or maybe at local shop might be able to make a trade for aatleast a couple.

Id add a 2nd alolan grimer and muk and take out gastly and haunter,delibird and mareaine; especially since you play one of each you want to play less different ones and more of the ones you have to improve odds of getting them and having your deck be in sync. I see you have Mewtwo from evo; you can get Mewtwo EX off ebay or something relatively cheap and if you get a couple it would help and be a 2nd attacker along with Garbador.
Additinally id play 6 psychic and 4 double colorless energy.

So for pokemon id look at something to try out like:
2-2 Trubbish/ Garbador
2-2 Alolan Grimer/ Muk
3 Mewtwo Ex
1 Tapu Lele GX
2 Shaymin EX/ Octillery line 2-2

I am sure others can give you more insight but these were few things i thought of that could help get you where you want to go, good luck!

Hope all is well, the first time making a deck is challenging because not used to how a set up should go. For your deck you want to have multiples of your good cards to increase odds of getting them. With what you have in here, looks like you want to go psychic which is not bad especially with the GR Garbador. I know you say you do not have alot of trainers but you can get pretty cheap some good ones.
Id play supporters:
3-4 prof sycamores
2 N
1 Lysandre

For trainers, id play 4 ultra bal to help get Muk, garbador or Tapu Lele quickly and more consistently. Id take out the 1 float stone and add 2nd choice band. With altar of mooone you dont need float stone, if you have to discard 1 energy for retreating it better than taking 1 spot for a float stone. You do not really need trainers like potion, full heal, super potion and revive. They are not impactful and take up room that better cards could be used. 4 Trainers mail would greatly help with consistency and playing 4 VS seekers; i know those are not the cheapest but if you have any or maybe at local shop might be able to make a trade for aatleast a couple.

Id add a 2nd alolan grimer and muk and take out gastly and haunter,delibird and mareaine; especially since you play one of each you want to play less different ones and more of the ones you have to improve odds of getting them and having your deck be in sync. I see you have Mewtwo from evo; you can get Mewtwo EX off ebay or something relatively cheap and if you get a couple it would help and be a 2nd attacker along with Garbador.
Additinally id play 6 psychic and 4 double colorless energy.

So for pokemon id look at something to try out like:
2-2 Trubbish/ Garbador
2-2 Alolan Grimer/ Muk
3 Mewtwo Ex
1 Tapu Lele GX
2 Shaymin EX/ Octillery line 2-2

I am sure others can give you more insight but these were few things i thought of that could help get you where you want to go, good luck!
That's pretty good advice! Thanks! If I understand correctly, I need to get rid of Gastly, Haunter and the other water Pokémon (Corsola, Delibird, Mareaine). I'll definitely get more trainer cards.

Btw, What would be my deck ratio? How many Trainers should I have at the end?

That's pretty good advice! Thanks! If I understand correctly, I need to get rid of Gastly, Haunter and the other water Pokémon (Corsola, Delibird, Mareaine). I'll definitely get more trainer cards.

Btw, What would be my deck ratio? How many Trainers should I have at the end?

Yes I would get rid of those pokemon. Ratio can vary a little but something like 15 pokemon, 35 trainers, 10 energy

Back