Discussion Other Good Malamar Partners

Zamuron

Aspiring Trainer
So Yesterday i was too a forbidden light prerelease, and manager to get my hands on a 4-4 line of malamar, so I was just wondering if there were any other good partners for him apart from Ultra Necrozma?

The old Necrozma GX, to hit psychic weakness, and Dawn wings necrozma gx for the ability and gx attack.

I believe Mewtwo GX's first attack is one psychic but if you add any other energies it's 30x. For 3 psychic its GX does 200 as well, so maybe Mewtwo would work.

Hi Zamuron,

Here is a list of decent Psychic Pokémon to run with Malamar:

Dawn Wings Necrozma GX
Necrozma GX
Mewtwo GX

Giratina Prism Star
Lunala Prism Star

Dawn Wings Necrozma
Wobbuffet
Cresselia
Tapu Lele
Mimikyu
Mewtwo
Mew

Even though this might not be very conventional, I believe that Noivern GX would be a great partner for Malamar. It would be able to set up Noivern MUCH quicker than attaching a few basic energy per turn, and it combos very nicely with Noivern's free retreat.

I'd say the regular Necrozma-GX and Mew from Fates Collide are almost staple techs that should be added to any deck playing Malamar.

Not really. If Nihilego gets knocked out next turn, then you wasted the GX attack
:) Empty light is going to leave your opponents active confused and poisoned, so you can lay it down, power it up with two Malmar and an regular energy attachment, retreat your active and then do your GX attack. Then you survive if the coin flip goes your way on the confusion. It may not be the best Malmar partner, but it's another good possibility.

Promo Mewtwo has been getting a lot of use too.

^ I believe Rukan just topped with Pressure Mewtwo. It trades nicely with baby Buzz and OHKOs the GX.

Like everyone else I've had the best result with ultra and Dawn wings but I also have had a little success with giratina prisim, it's a tanky basic with a solid attack. Plus you can get the energies back with malamar. Same thing with regular necrozma really. Good question though I'm curious to hear other people's opinions.

Please do not do that.

Back