TCG Fakes Otaku's Hypotheticals

Otaku

The wise fool?
Hey, all!

Once again, I was trying to make a point in a thread and once again, I prattled on far longer than I should... because the game of Pokémon lacked an example of what it was I was trying to explain. Which isn't a serious criticism; sometimes I'm explaining some things I'd never want to see. ;) Other times, I just feel like making up some cards. Put it all together, and I realized I may as well make a nice catch-all thread for such things.

I'm not an artist. I also not patient or well versed enough to craft easy fakes using online templates. So my fakes are text spoilers, but if you don't like that, feel free to turn them into more "proper" fake cards. :)

First one:

Credit Card
Trainer - Item

Draw two cards. While this card is in your discard pile, before you draw a card at the beginning of your turn, discard the top card from your deck.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).​

Design Notes: I don't think we have any cards with a detrimental effect while in the discard pile, so I made one. Open to thoughts on how balanced this card actually is; some decks will like having to discard from the top of the deck, but for most, the blind discard cost is bad. I am hoping Item-based draw, even of just two cards, would be just worth it. Additionally, should we get an effect that allows us to send cards from our own discard pile to the Lost Zone, it would present an interesting combo.

The idea of credit is the fact you must pay it back, often with interest so in the end you lose out to have something now. Since the Lost Zone is back in the game, I'd like see this card use it. Maybe make the card effect this

"Draw 2 card. While this card is in your discard and you would play another Credit Card, it has no effect. While this card is in your discard pile (in addition to the card you draw at the start of your turn), you may draw 1 card for each Credit Card in your discard pile. Then send cards from the top of your deck to the Lost Zone. At any time during your turn, you may discard 3 cards from your hand to send this card in your discard pile to the Lost Zone."

My idea for this (and since I design cards for a game I'm making) is to make it a high risk/reward card. Like an actual credit card, you have funds right when you need them (drawing two cards) but you're required to pay that back at some point. I like your design but it becomes too punishing so I decided to allow the play to also draw a card at the start of the turn but also Lost Zone one from the top of the deck for each copy in the discard pile so at the start of the turn, they can get five cards but they must Lost Zone four (at most anyway). This design allows the player to choose how much they want to draw and Lost Zone. Since there isn'y any interaction with the Lost Zone yet, this is the most balance and punishing thing was to have them Lost Zone while they are drawing.

The last interaction I like is allowing the player pay off that card by allowing them to discard three cards from their hand to Lost Zone that copy, costing at most 12 cards to get rid of four so you gain a lot of resources but also lose a lot in the process.

Either way I like your design but you should the player a way to opt out of the effect.

Either way I like your design but you should the player a way to opt out of the effect.

I created this particular card because I wanted an example - even just a Create-A-Card - that showed something you would want to get out of your discard pile, and not just to play again.

The rest I'll think about. ;) I mean, this is a CaC thread. I can always make variations if I ended up liking both. Given how credit cards tend to multiply... yeah, almost seems like there should be three or four "major" variations of this card. XD

I created this particular card because I wanted an example - even just a Create-A-Card - that showed something you would want to get out of your discard pile, and not just to play again.

The rest I'll think about. ;) I mean, this is a CaC thread. I can always make variations if I ended up liking both. Given how credit cards tend to multiply... yeah, almost seems like there should be three or four "major" variations of this card. XD

That is an idea. There should be more risk/reward cards in the game.

Back