OFFICIAL Voice Actors Opinion Thread

What do you think of the new VAs?

• They are great. A big improvement.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They are fine but I need some adjustment time.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Overall they are good but there are some really bad ones.(Then post the bad ones in your post)

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Not that good.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • WTF DID I JUST WATCH?!

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

TheResidentEvil

Aspiring Trainer
In this thread, we will discuss the new voice actors that appeared in the Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon. I personally think that most of the new actors are fine and they are just new so i have to get used to them. I REALLY hate the new Ash though. I am also not too fond of Prof. Oak nor Brock.

I DON'T LIKE THEM @ ALL.
Please people go & sign her guestbook on her web page.
http://www.veronicataylor.net/news.html

I haven't heard the voices since first airing, so my opinions may change soon.
May- Plain as bread. I didn't nessesarily get the "older" impression that everyone was getting. Her voice just sounded like they got someone to say their lines without any modfication of voice. As far as I could tell, it wasn't BAD- there was just nothing to it. I also didn't get to hear her talk much. She had the least lines from what I could tell.
James- 5,000 fangirls would be crazy NOT to kill themselves. 'Nuff said.
Brock- Second worse. A snobby undertone to it. Can't take him seriously, and the times where he's supposed to be humorus also don't work.
Ash- Sounds like a voice they'd use for some barely popular children's anime. I think the voice also had been on Pokemon a few times. They actually had the nerve to make the VA say "Right, Pikachu?" without making me chuckle. THAT'S VERONICA'S BEST LINE- I'LL KILL YOU PUSA.
Max- eh. I was always plesently surprised at how 4kids' max turned out, this is the sort of initial voice I expected him to have in '03.
Jesse- I don't take back ALL the bad things I've said about Lillis, but I'll take back a few.
Misty- GOOD? :eek: SLIGHTL BETTER EVEN? Nah, but close enough.
Oak- Ugh. Good impersonation. But he has a steryotypical-old-man-VA feeling to it. I expected worse, I guess.
Meowth- Good immitation. Almost-maybe. *Sigh*
Dr. Whatever: Hope PUSA gets more 1-time character voices like this. 4kids failed when it came to character-of-the-day.
Narrator- I didn't even notice, it was so natural. As much as Pollock's voice irratates me in everything he does besides maybe Eggman- it wasn't worth the PUSA switch.
The music- No rapid cuts. Maybe I wasn't paying much attention to it, but it didn't strike me as all THAT perfectly placed, but I didn't notice it (other than a movie music piece that surprised me at first) so I guess that's better than noticing it.
Writing- Can't say. Don't remember. Any possible good lines were just too hard to pick up from all the voices in my head. (heh. voices in my head.) But, I hope Team Rocket keeps their ceezy lines, dispite what 99% of fans say.

I was much more optimistic than I should've been about all this, but somehow I knew it'd be this way. I've just heard a few REALLY good impressionations done by random people over the internet some many times, especially Ash, I expected PAYED impressionations to be better. If only they had pulled fans out of their homes and forced them to do voices for food, then the world would be a much better place. Until then, I'll continue not watching the dub. Er- actually CN will put it on reasonable watching hours, I'm sure. I guess I will be watching the dub.

WAIT- YOU MEAN THIS ISN'T A BLOG??

May's voice: That voice was terrible! It doesn't suit her at all!

Ash's voice: I think I can live with it, doesn't change to much, but I still miss Veronica, though.

Brock's voice: That is the worst voice ever, although I could live with it. Brock doesn't count to much in my eyes.

Max's voice: No too bad, but not as good as the old one.

Misty's voice: Well, it didn't sound so much unlike the old one, but I noticed that Misty's eyes were blue, and they were green in the Togepi episodes!

Prof. Oak's voice: Sounds like the old one. Not much to say.

Jesse's voice: This was not an improvement! It was much worse than the older one.

James's voice: Didn't sound to different. Not much to say about this one either.

Meowth's voice: I thought that they would totally kill Meowth. But it didnt't sound to different.

Dr. Yung's voice: Pretty good, can't seem anything to complain at here.

Mirage Master's voice: This was definitly the best voice through the whole special.

Narrator: I didn't notice anything new with this one.

There's what I think about the voices.

Ash: 5/10. Average.
May: 1/10. Do you call that a sound-alike?
Max: 7/10. Almost the same.
Brock: 9/10. This is a surprise. When he talks to girls like that, his voice matches PERFECTLY.
Misty: 8/10. Sounded like the old one, but a little rougher.
Prof. Oak: 6/10. Sounds the same, but I KNOW that something's wrong.
Jessie: 10/10. She sounds MUCH more evil. And I like that!
James: 0/10. It just sucks. He has an entirely different accent.
Meowth: 7/10. Sounds the same. Needs a little bit more work though...

It'll just take some time to adjust to new voices after so many years of the same VAs. I guess 4Kids is stingy about letting their voice actors work elsewhere.

At least it's not as bad as a rumor I heard about the banned episode 'Legend of Dratini'.

In case you didn't know, SEGA had it's entire voice acting crew for the Sonic the Hedgehog games replaced by the voice actors from 4Kids, so, it's one irony that would hit 4Kids, all in Nintendo's part to avoid the same thing, even though most Pokémon Games don't use voice acting for characters from the series, anyway.

As for me, I'm not as bothered as I got myself a couple of Raw, Undubbed and Unsubbed Pokémon episodes.

For everything else, all we can hope for is that the dubbing won't be as bad as Nelvana dubbing CardCaptors.

Ok Ok, since I know they have to change because of some mean contract thingy I'll force my self to get used to them. But, I must say one thing: ASH WAS HORRIBLE! The others I can take but Ash, ew, I thought he was on the brink of manhood till now. They went and pushed him back to the road to prepubesence! Now, I now that he's just a cartoon and doesn't go through puberty but still, he sounded somewhat manly. I just want someone who doesn't sound like every other boy in the series. And Oak, *Shivers*. Jesse and them were ok but James needed to sound a bit more womanly.

As always, be kind to the mime.

I say they are pretty good but ash and brock need a MAJOR fix.:)

Man, do I hate the new voice actors. The voice I don't like the most is May's.
She sounds way to old.

Back