• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard No More Rat Poison (Raticate BREAK / Ariados)

Tropizard420

POKÉMON MASTER
This is a deck that once it is set up, it is hard to stop, even with the frail 110 hp attacker. I would LOVE any feedback on making this deck better.

Pokémon (17):
  • 4-4-3 Raticate BREAK
  • 3-3 Ariados
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (39):
  • 3 Parallel City
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Wally
  • 2 Shauna
  • 1 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 4 Level Ball
  • 2 Repeat Ball
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Puzzle of Time
  • 2 Roller Skates
  • 2 Super Rod
  • 1 Switch
  • 4 Crushing Hammer
  • 1 Enhanced Hammer
  • 4 Trainers's Mail
Energy (4):
  • 4 DCE
Strategy:

The strategy is simple, use raticate BREAK's attack to bring opponent to 10 hp while ariados' poison kills them whilst raticate takes no poison damage. I use parallel city because there are frail pokemon and limiting your opponent's usage of the playing field definitely helps raticate. I am thinking of putting in some kind of tool cards but I am not sure which ones or if I should put in shaymins. If anyone has advice or questions I will be more than happy to hear it. Thanks!!! :)

I'm making this deck too! But my problem (and all the Ratas decks I think) is grass pokémon, because they can't get the Ariados poison :/ Also, the lack of a back-up attacker.. it feels too much in certain moments, and in THIS point is what I am now: What pokémon to use in the "back-up attacker slot"?

I have no correct answers now x) But I'm thinking in Heatmor ( ! ) who can easily KO the grass pokés, Sceptile EX who can poison too (even to grass pokemon, that's why is good) and even Machamp EX, who can do a lot of damage with a Heavy Boots, and can also benefit of Ariados too!

That's all I can say, and I apologize for my english if it's not too clear :(
Good luck!

3 parallel city?
Why?

I mean, cutting your opponent down to 3 bench is nice, but run forest of giant plants. 1 turn ariados that way

I like Durant from break point. It's a one energy attacker and does 10 damage(perfect with rats) and it discards a card from opponents deck.

Other than the Grass Pokémon @LtJoann mentioned, an opponent's T1 Trevenant (Forest Curse) or Vileplume will slow you down considerably. So, you may want to incorporate 1-2 Hex Maniac.

Secondly, your getting heads on the Crushing Hammer flips are critical to your success. Should your opponent have a non-ex attacker that can 1HKO your starting Rats, you can fall behind in the prize count early. Incorporating a Teammates can help offset this disadvantage. You may also want to consider incorporating a Sacred Ash too given the low HP of your Pokémon.

Lastly, with only 7 Basic Pokémon, I suspect you will mulligan 4+ times, thus giving your opponents potentially lots of extra cards early game - this places you at a disadvantage. Consider running 3 Judges (replacing the Roller Skates and PBO) to mitigate this risk.

I'm currently experimenting with this deck and would definitely agree with TuxedoBlack on the Teammates and Sacred Ash inclusion (because Rattata is awful frail), and with Phoenix15 on switching out the stadiums.

I would also definitely run Winona, in order to get those Rats out ASAP.

Another idea I'm toying with is adding / replacing Ariados with Golbat, which gets around the problems with grass Pokemon and retreat if you're unable to poison. Running Dimension Valley would also allow for a sneaky 10 damage on everything for no energy, resulting in a knock-out if the situation runs in your favour. I also trialed AOR Flareon (for Blacksmith usage) and ROS Swellow (for that extra prize) in this deck, with limited success, but those could definitely be fun if you can make it work.

@kjmccormick

Only problem I see with a Golbat line would be the amount of time to setup that attack for multiple KO's would take a while. By the time they realize what you're going to do that Golbat is Lysandre'd for an easy KO.

3 parallel city?
Why?

I mean, cutting your opponent down to 3 bench is nice, but run forest of giant plants. 1 turn ariados that way

There is no need. Raticate BREAK cannot come out T1, and I have no problem getting ariados before the BREAK hits the field.

I'm testing a Raticate BREAK deck myself, and I put in a few Sceptile EXes (also Muscle Bands). This makes you hit for 150 damage for 1 grass & 1 colorless energy. I do play some grass energy, so that's something. Also no Parallel City, only 2 Forests.

Yeah, Garbador and Hex Maniac would destroy this, better throw in a Startling Megaphone or four! I suppose Golbat would help against Hex Maniac in that it can be used for the KO the following turn if poison is "turned off", because it would be a pain for your opponent to play it on consecutive turns? I would also say that setting up Zubat isn't any less / more weak to a Lysandre + KO than Spinarak or Rattata, but I get your point. No need for quick Ariados set-up is a fair point, I didn't think of it that way. The only other suggestion I'd have off the back of that is running Scorched Earth as your stadium for draw additional power in addition of course to some fire or fighting energy (the latter would of course link well with Machamp EX too).

I'm running a similar deck too, Machamp can put out much more damage then sceptile but the time it takse to power up and in order to put out tons of damage requires taking damage. I'd say replace parallel city for some regular energy and another break.

Hey I'm also running this deck, this is my current deck list

Pokemon: 15

3-3-3 Raticate Break Line
2-2 Ariados Line
2 Lugia EX

Trainers: 37

4 Sycamore
4 Professor Birch's Observations
4 Trainers Mail
4 Ultra Ball
3 Winona
2 Professor's Letter
1 Energy Retrieval
2 Team Flare Grunt
2 Startling Megaphone
2 Enhanced Hammer
2 Lysandre
4 Bursting Balloon
3 Faded Town

Energy: 8

4 Grass Energy
4 Double Colourless Energy

Use Winona to get the entire Raticate Break line into your hand, can also be used to grab Lugia EX. Evolve and setup can kill anything from a basic to a mega without the Ariados set-up using Bursting Balloon and Faded Town combos. If it dies Lugia EX can come in and punch for all the Energies attached. Team Flare Grunt and Enhanced Hammer for stall, Startling Megaphone for Garbotoxin counter and Lysandre to kill heavy hitters. The only real trouble I have with this is the Bursting Balloon, I would use Rocky Helmet if it wasn't expanded, but because it only lasts the turn and if they heal any damage you cant poison for the kill next turn so they just wait it out then kill. Other than that this deck is pretty consistent, it even went toe to toe with a meta Vespiqueen deck.

Hope this helps all the fellow Raticate Break players out there :)

Reading the posts in here I think Zoroark would make the best alternative attacker
its easy to setup and uses the same energy to attack
I'd love this to be viable but just straight losing to garbodor/hex seems kinda rough.
Maybe with more hand control as opposed to energy removal? Forcing delinquent on a garbodor while still in hand/shuffling it back into the deck could help!
And for tools I've played against people who tried Assault vest, at least that puts the break on 150 hp which is still mediocre considering the setup but at least NM doesn't beat it 100% effortless... (bursting balloon, floatstone together with zoroark seem to be the only other tools that aren't useless)

Use Winona to get the entire Raticate Break line into your hand,
I heavily agree with this, you should also run Shaymin and normally shouldn't get just the breakline but rather: rattatta rattatta Ratticate/ rattatta Ratticate ShayminEX I can't figure out a list that fits all of that in but Brigette/Winona/Wally should be your main supporters.

Maybe Ariados/Foretress could work ?

The opponnent has no grass : use Ariados before attacking.
The opponent has grass : use Foretress next turn after attacking.

The two benefit from Forest of Giant Plants, as long as you have the full line in hand you can make direct use of their power.

Maybe Ariados/Foretress could work ?

The opponnent has no grass : use Ariados before attacking.
The opponent has grass : use Foretress next turn after attacking.

The two benefit from Forest of Giant Plants, as long as you have the full line in hand you can make direct use of their power.

like a 1-1 line of each or something? maybe 2-2 just to be safe since they could get prized. What about a few Delinquents too?

I made an account just to discuss Raticate BREAK. Sorry for bumping after so much time...

Garbodor seems like an issue for the supporting attackers, but with Lysandre you could force the Garbodor out and use Raticate's (non-break) attack to discard its tool, but that would be your supporter for the turn.

Mega Sceptile is the only really prominent Grass-type attacker, isn't it? Faded Town seems like a good card to have, but it's not useful against other difficult matchups. Taking a single copy of Faded Town and maybe one or two Regice AOs (and appropriate energy) seems like a good idea, since the most difficult matchups are decks that run Pokemon-EX.

As far as Golbat/Crobat goes, they are only useful the turn after you would use Super Fang, so you'd be really banking on not getting hit in the turn between Fang and the KO. I don't believe in it. Another secondary attacker to consider might be Virizion AO, although it only helps much when you're behind.

Hex Maniac seems like the real issue, and I don't know a way around it.

I stuck in a few robo subs while i was getting my rats setup. That has been my biggest problem so far even with Wally. Use Rattata to draw/switch into a sub and your opponent get no prizes while your setting up.

hex maniac would ruin the ariados , and if the deck goes against a grass deck of any kind , raticate would be holding onto 2 turns for knock out and its highly unlikely raticate will survive long if gets paralyzed/confused/poisoned or asleep

hex maniac would ruin the ariados , and if the deck goes against a grass deck of any kind , raticate would be holding onto 2 turns for knock out and its highly unlikely raticate will survive long if gets paralyzed/confused/poisoned or asleep

Hex Maniac wouldn't ruin the deck, it would actually help him against decks like Vileplume and preventing people from using Shaymin EX to get ahead of him if he is not able to get out a Ariados on his turn or doesn't have the proper set up. This way, you're stalling your opponent out of much needed locks and draw power as well as any other ability that your opponent needs to set up. Hex Maniac is a must in almost every deck you play since there are so many Pokémon with abilities now that can dampen your strategy. It can even hurt NM more due to the fact that Mew is back in to the rotation as it negates it's ability out. It's more in the fact of how you play Hex Maniac around your deck to punish your opponent instead of how it hurts you. Even with all his Pokémon having abilities, it's still a great card to help him get set up even more so because he's not running Shaymin EX and a majority of players are, so it basically locks them out of a free Draw Support.

Back