Next Season's Standard Format: SM-on!

Dfwallace2

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I like the standard rotation but I am disappointed with no change in Expanded. Not looking forward attending Expanded events next season.

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
Glad to see Parallel City gone. That thing is cancer in my opinion.

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
You would think that they would have slowly started to weed Night March out completely. I don't play much, if any, Expanded but I do know that those events will not be very fun.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
You would think that they would have slowly started to weed Night March out completely. I don't play much, if any, Expanded but I do know that those events will not be very fun.
The whole point of expanded is to give older cards relevancy so that veteran player's don't have their cards become completely worthless. Having expanded rotate defeats the purpose

Also Night March isn't even top tier deck in expanded anymore

ShinyZard

Aspiring Trainer
I thought the new rotation will be everything from Steam Steige onwards, considering how the previous rotations went. But, after thinking about it again, it would be weird to keep just one XY series in the new rotation. The new rotation is going to be a challenging considering how many good cards we'll be losing (e.g. Sycamore, N, float stone, parallel city, puzzle of time, Gallade, Mew, Evosoda, Brigette, Max Elixir, Garbotoxin Garbodor, Super rod, etc...).

paulyd84

cooltrainerpaul
They're now called Ashley.
Did i miss this? Please tell me its Ash-ley as in Ash's Cross dressing alter ego in card form lol

I actually seen Ash donned the blonde wig again recently in sun moon working in the pokemon centre for nurse joy - I'd love it to make a promo somehow in Japan lol

Cybno

Aspiring Trainer
Did i miss this? Please tell me its Ash-ley as in Ash's Cross dressing alter ego in card form lol

I actually seen Ash donned the blonde wig again recently in sun moon working in the pokemon centre for nurse joy - I'd love it to make a promo somehow in Japan lol

I think I just came up with a stupid name that went along with "Ash" thinking it turned to ash but I don't remember

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Am I the only one who thinks that gardevoir gx might make a comeback in 2019?

Reason one: the two main decks that will work best post rotation as far as seen are ultra necrosma, due to minimal losses, and Rayquaza gx once it comes out, due to its strength and adaptability. Gardevoir gets weakness boost to both
Reason two: gardevoirs main problem was buzzwole, and that will be taking a hard hit after rotation, lowering odds of playing it.
Finally, gardevoir isn’t losing too much, and the few cards it’s losing can and will be replaced.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
The problem with gardevoir is that the reason fell out of the meta in the first place is that it was outclassed bu Zoroark gx decks which will still be very strong post rotation

GamePhoenix

Fellow Mortal
I think my main deck VikaBulu will shred post rotation, and Turbo Raichu will be an interesting (if not good,) deck!

jperr

Aspiring Trainer
Turbo Raichu will be an interesting (if not good,) deck!

that's a lot to ask for. not only does it lose elixir, which in itself is a death sentence, it loses nuzzle pikachu meaning it can't access the snuggly generator acceleration. magnezone is cute, but it's painfully inconsistent without professors letter.

GamePhoenix

Fellow Mortal
that's a lot to ask for. not only does it lose elixir, which in itself is a death sentence, it loses nuzzle pikachu meaning it can't access the snuggly generator acceleration. magnezone is cute, but it's painfully inconsistent without professors letter.

I beg to differ! Even without Elixer, it still ha several types of accel. First off, you can use magnazone/ lady to get a bunch of energy in play, or you can use the Xurkitree/ beast ring combo. You also have the new manetric, as well as Zearoa GX. Still, you are right in that it isn't that great of a deck. I will still play it though!

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
The problem with gardevoir is that the reason fell out of the meta in the first place is that it was outclassed bu Zoroark gx decks which will still be very strong post rotation
I disagree on the grounds that:
1. Zoroark will be loosing plenty of strength cards that gave it power, such as puzzle of time, which was helpful in setting up the deck or gaining cards traded away, Bridget, which gave the speed to get multiple zoroark down on the field, and evosoda, which got the evolutions going quickly. The counters, meanwhile, might still be there, and the possible meta game is kinda on the downside against zoroark. If you want to get a full explanation, check out google to get the idea.
2: Gardevoir can use zoroark as well, as we saw when Tord Reklev won Oceana with zoroark gardevoir, and someone else got third with it.
3: the meta game post rotation will be slightly better for gardevoir. Metal decks will stay strong, but I think that there are going to be some nice fire types in the future to help with that (cough cough Blaziken gx)

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
I disagree on the grounds that:
1. Zoroark will be loosing plenty of strength cards that gave it power, such as puzzle of time, which was helpful in setting up the deck or gaining cards traded away, Bridget, which gave the speed to get multiple zoroark down on the field, and evosoda, which got the evolutions going quickly. The counters, meanwhile, might still be there, and the possible meta game is kinda on the downside against zoroark. If you want to get a full explanation, check out pokebeach to get the idea.
2: Gardevoir can use zoroark as well, as we saw when Tord Reklev won Oceana with zoroark gardevoir, and someone else got third with it.
3: the meta game post rotation will be slightly better for gardevoir. Metal decks will stay strong, but I think that there are going to be some nice fire types in the future to help with that (cough cough Blaziken gx)

1. Zoroark doesn’t lose as much as something like Buzzwole, and Buzzwole has a chance at staying in the format (despite it outright losing to Beast box and Malamar). The big question is: “who is the best partner for Zoroark?”

2. Gardy-Zoroark was purely a meta-call and is a bit difficult to pilot effectively, IIRC

3. The only fire decks I can see doing anything is Kiawe Ho-oh GX, but even that deck has some glaring issues.

Chicken Nugget Master

I had the munchies when I came up with my username
1. Zoroark doesn’t lose as much as something like Buzzwole, and Buzzwole has a chance at staying in the format (despite it outright losing to Beast box and Malamar). The big question is: “who is the best partner for Zoroark?”

2. Gardy-Zoroark was purely a meta-call and is a bit difficult to pilot effectively, IIRC

3. The only fire decks I can see doing anything is Kiawe Ho-oh GX, but even that deck has some glaring issues.
I think Reshiram GX and Victini Prism will give fire decks a huge boost, and I wouldn't be surprised if a Reshiram focused deck appeared, perhaps paired with someone like Infernape from Ultra Prism/Forbidden Light. Reshiram keeps fire decks alive, just. And if we expect to see a lot of Dragons, we'll see a lot of Fairies, and more Metal, thus more Fire. Although I might be going off on a few tangents there...