Help newcomer looking for a deck to invest in.

Casey

Aspiring Trainer
Hello, I have been interested in competitive play for a while now and have decided to attempt to play this year but I don't know which deck to spend my money on because I can't afford multiple decks at this time. While researching I've come across gardevoir gx, Buzzwole/Lycanroc , golisopod, and volcanion decks. would any of these be a good option?or should I just wait? Thanks for your help

i feel like fire is the way to go, as the new set is going to make Metal deck a bit more prevalent

Hello, I have been interested in competitive play for a while now and have decided to attempt to play this year but I don't know which deck to spend my money on because I can't afford multiple decks at this time. While researching I've come across gardevoir gx, Buzzwole/Lycanroc , golisopod, and volcanion decks. would any of these be a good option?or should I just wait? Thanks for your help
Volcanion is actually going to suck with glaceon running around... the ability turns off Volcanion's steam up.... i suggest playing glacion GX when it comes out... you only need like 2 leles because you dont want too many with the glaceon... also play it with weakness policy so metal cant touch you... it is the new garbodor and that was amazing with no attack... this you can apply first turn pressure with a good attack and a mediocre type. this is what im going to play as it has little to no weaknesses. good luck my friend.

before you invest too much into any one deck... I recommend you try to playtest a few decks.
or just take a look at some of the matches on youtube. each player is different, and what they like or don't like varies.
as a start. you can always invest in the basics like ultraball. sycamore. etc...
but before you get the more expensive Gx cards, so if you like it first.
do you like a speed deck. heavy damage deck. disruption deck. etc...

before you invest too much into any one deck... I recommend you try to playtest a few decks.
or just take a look at some of the matches on youtube. each player is different, and what they like or don't like varies.
as a start. you can always invest in the basics like ultraball. sycamore. etc...
but before you get the more expensive Gx cards, so if you like it first.
do you like a speed deck. heavy damage deck. disruption deck. etc...
^^

Use Pokemon Trading Card Game online and play with a couple decks, if you need help with trainers and other cards, I'm sure some people will help you out (Unless you need Tapu Lele GX)
Mill for life

Volcanion is actually going to suck with glaceon running around... the ability turns off Volcanion's steam up.... i suggest playing glacion GX when it comes out... you only need like 2 leles because you dont want too many with the glaceon... also play it with weakness policy so metal cant touch you... it is the new garbodor and that was amazing with no attack... this you can apply first turn pressure with a good attack and a mediocre type. this is what im going to play as it has little to no weaknesses. good luck my friend.
We are not here to debate what decks are going to suck but instead what can be used, just because you don't like volc doesn't mean you have to say its a dead deck, plus talking about weaknesses, you better watch out for all the metal support:)

Use whatever deck suits your interest. I use volcanion because I like blazing fast decks that furn through all of the resources really quickly. Of course, this is coming from the same guy who got top 32 with quad sylveon. You can do well with any competetive deck, as long as it suits your playstyle and you are good with it.

Playtest all meta decks you like and them play whatever you feel more comfortable with. It's been a while since the meta is unstable and to be honest you can really predict what will be top tier or no, cause everything is shifting from one big tournament to another
While you playtest online you can go ahead and buy some staples like 2 Tapu Lele, Sycamores, Ns, Ultra Balls, etc.

I believe the new Garchomp/Lucario deck coming with Ultra Prism will be a great deck for beginners.
You can get a lot of what you need with the premade decks they are coming out in.

I would suggest you try any of these:

Volcanion
Greninja
Gardevoir
Zoroark variants

Just proxy the cards you don't have and get comfortable with one deck. The decklists are everywhere.

Back