News New Solgaleo-GX and Lunala-GX in November Starter Set!

Solgaleo looks pretty sweet, but that Lunala seems bland as hell, well maybe Luna Javelin has some potential... Anyway though, Lunala deserves better !

This Solgaleo looks... beautiful. 1 DCE to recycle all the energy you discarded trying to Sycamore for that rare candy or ultra ball too? Yas lawd.

Lunala... well you tried.

Solgaleo GX is the only Pokemon after Gardevoir GX to have a full kit of attacks and abilities that are ridiculously good and easy to use.

2 Energy to OHKO without a choice band while Gardevoir needs 6 energy and a choice band or 7 energy to OHKO, and any 2 hit KO attempts will be GX attacked away.

Gardevoir is dead once this deck hits the field, and Fire needs to start running Garbotoxin to keep up.

Salazzle GX/Garbodor is likely the best counter, also considering the popularity of Golisopod & Bulu combined and the pure ease of grabbing OHKOs with 2 energy and a choice band. Brigetteable set ups for much higher consistency and no Kiawe reliance.

I know it's early, but Solgaleo GX & Salazzle GX/Garbodor are likely to become the two best decks.

Solgaleo is busted, really like the card a lot. It's easily splashable in existing Solgaleo/Rayquaza decks and you can potentially cut Rayquaza altogether.
I can also see this teched into Metagross to solve it's fire matchup. As for it being the end of Gardevoir, it's too soon to say for sure. Gardevoir can adapt to meta-shifts if need be, like potentially running Necrozma with the new fairy Tapu Lele promo to move damage around.

Don't sleep on this new Lunala GX. We now actually have psychic energy acceleration with Shining Mew. We will also have counter catcher.

Turn 1:
Attach for turn to shining mew. Accelerate two basic psychic to Mewtwo GX. Shining mew is KO'd

Turn 2:
Attach for turn to Mewtwo GX. Use counter catcher and KO something back with the GX attack.

Here's the deal with counter catcher in the format: If you get the first KO, you open yourself to a counter catcher KO from your opponent.

While you're applying pressure with Mewtwo GX, you will be building your Lunala GXs on the bench. I would prioritize the Psychic Transfer so you can move the energies you accelerated to Mewtwo GX at the beginning of the game. Then proceed to attack with the newer Lunala GX for hopefully 230 damage (with choice band) two more times to win the game.

This really does sound to me like a decent psychic deck at last. The only counter to it would be Solgaleo GX itself. Interestingly, the Psychic transfer Lunala has an attack that prevents the opponent from healing, which would be an interesting interaction. Conversely, you can heal easily with Max potion and Psychic transfer. In the end, if you can't OHKO Solgaleo with your Lunala, you can just play Espeon Ex.

Solgaleo GX is the only Pokemon after Gardevoir GX to have a full kit of attacks and abilities that are ridiculously good and easy to use.

2 Energy to OHKO without a choice band while Gardevoir needs 6 energy and a choice band or 7 energy to OHKO, and any 2 hit KO attempts will be GX attacked away.

Gardevoir is dead once this deck hits the field, and Fire needs to start running Garbotoxin to keep up.

Salazzle GX/Garbodor is likely the best counter, also considering the popularity of Golisopod & Bulu combined and the pure ease of grabbing OHKOs with 2 energy and a choice band. Brigetteable set ups for much higher consistency and no Kiawe reliance.

I know it's early, but Solgaleo GX & Salazzle GX/Garbodor are likely to become the two best decks.

Yet, Gardevoir can simply use a combination of Necrozma GX and Espeon EX to fight back, either Metagross GX or Solgaleo GX. That is, as long as they don't start playing Mr. Mime.

There may be no other way for Gardevoir to keep up with metal decks. Fortunately, you can drop Necrozma GX as a surprise and get it going immediatly thanks to DCE and secret spring.

Yet, Gardevoir can simply use a combination of Necrozma GX and Espeon EX to fight back, either Metagross GX or Solgaleo GX. That is, as long as they don't start playing Mr. Mime.

There may be no other way for Gardevoir to keep up with metal decks. Fortunately, you can drop Necrozma GX as a surprise and get it going immediatly thanks to DCE and secret spring.

How do you expect Necrozma GX to help you when Solgaleo GX can counter your GX attack with its own for a global heal?

Necrozma GX/Espeon EX is absolutely useless against Solgaleo GX.

I'm very excited for this Solgaleo GX. Not only does it look great, it will completely replace the Rayquaza in my Solgaleo GX/Rayquaza deck.

Really hoping these cards aren't in some $40+ box set when they come to the West.

Edit: Also with regards to the Necrozma GX/Espeon EX as a potential "counter", I think the idea is dependent on the fact that most Solgaleo GX decks will be using their GX attack turn2-3 with Sol Burst and won't be able to use the global heal in response to Necrozma's GX attack. Granted having 2 Solgaleo GX gives you more flexibility on which GX attack to use, but I imagine Sol Burst will still be the right answer 9 times out of 10.

Edit 2: Though with regards to Gardevoir GX, I guess there's no point in setting up OG Solgaleo GX since this new one OHKOs anyway. This thing is busted lol.

Last edited:
My opinion is rayuaza is now crap because you simply use the new solgaleo
Solgaleo is busted, really like the card a lot. It's easily splashable in existing Solgaleo/Rayquaza decks and you can potentially cut Rayquaza altogether.
I can also see this teched into Metagross to solve it's fire matchup. As for it being the end of Gardevoir, it's too soon to say for sure. Gardevoir can adapt to meta-shifts if need be, like potentially running Necrozma with the new fairy Tapu Lele promo to move damage around.

So yes rayquaza is basically useless.

I'm very excited for this Solgaleo GX. Not only does it look great, it will completely replace the Rayquaza in my Solgaleo GX/Rayquaza deck.

Really hoping these cards aren't in some $40+ box set when they come to the West.

Edit: Also with regards to the Necrozma GX/Espeon EX as a potential "counter", I think the idea is dependent on the fact that most Solgaleo GX decks will be using their GX attack turn2-3 with Sol Burst and won't be able to use the global heal in response to Necrozma's GX attack. Granted having 2 Solgaleo GX gives you more flexibility on which GX attack to use, but I imagine Sol Burst will still be the right answer 9 times out of 10.

Edit 2: Though with regards to Gardevoir GX, I guess there's no point in setting up OG Solgaleo GX since this new one OHKOs anyway. This thing is busted lol.

Is there a point in using Sol Burst when your main attacker is a stage 2 who only needs 2 energy? You will need at least 2 turns to evolve a single one anyway, so you might as well play conservatively and just attach per turn while Sycamoring extra energy into the discard so that you can accelerate your next attacker with Turbo Strike.

There is literally no need for Sol Burst unless you're looking to thin your deck. Plus, that demands that you play steel energy. The fact that the new Solgaleo GX is colorless energy for its attack AND GX attack means it has the ridiculous potential to splash ANY other type and not have to worry about what their weaknesses are because they won't have any. You could play Solgaleo GX with Raichu GX and run electric energy to stock up big OHKOs in the end game. You can play it with Fairy energy and Sylveon GX to Plea GX your opponent's board away and not have to worry about the mirror match since Sylveon GX won't be weak to Steel. You could run Diancie and Fairy Energy to set up Solgaleos faster and more consistently than your opponent. You can run Fire Energy and play Scorched Earth for extended draw power while supplying your discard pile with energy for Turbo Strike. There's a FRICK ton of options available right now.

The most busted thing about Solgaleo GX is that it has a ton of type versatility due to being fully colorless. Colorless energy hitting for weakness on the currently most popular deck in format while having no weaknesses of its own unless Garbotoxin.

Solgaleo GX is definitely playing minimum 3 field blowers.

How do you expect Necrozma GX to help you when Solgaleo GX can counter your GX attack with its own for a global heal?

Necrozma GX/Espeon EX is absolutely useless against Solgaleo GX.

I would expect my opponent to be greedy enough to use Sol Burst GX instead so that healing is not an option. Necrozma GX should be played as a surprise, same goes for Espeon Ex to be most effective.

However, I do admit that against Gardevoir, the Solgaleo Gx player does not "need" to use Sol Burst GX

If you thought Solgaleo was powerful before, look at the updated translation for that GX attack!

Unfortunately I don't think there will be many opportunities for this new print of Solgaleo to use that GX attack. It's amazing yes, but Sol Burst is just so much better.

Is there a point in using Sol Burst when your main attacker is a stage 2 who only needs 2 energy? You will need at least 2 turns to evolve a single one anyway, so you might as well play conservatively and just attach per turn while Sycamoring extra energy into the discard so that you can accelerate your next attacker with Turbo Strike.

Why would the new Solgaleo be your main attacker? It's a support attacker and ability support, but the OG Solgaleo is hitting for 230, knocking out everything in the meta with a single Choice Band. The idea with Sol Burst is to spread the energy around your field so you can use the front Solgaleo to take a prize, then swap to Rayquaza to load a new one while using your turn attachment to prep the first one that took a prize (hopefully after Max Potioning it)

Last edited:

There is literally no need for Sol Burst unless you're looking to thin your deck. Plus, that demands that you play steel energy. The fact that the new Solgaleo GX is colorless energy for its attack AND GX attack means it has the ridiculous potential to splash ANY other type and not have to worry about what their weaknesses are because they won't have any. You could play Solgaleo GX with Raichu GX and run electric energy to stock up big OHKOs in the end game. You can play it with Fairy energy and Sylveon GX to Plea GX your opponent's board away and not have to worry about the mirror match since Sylveon GX won't be weak to Steel. You could run Diancie and Fairy Energy to set up Solgaleos faster and more consistently than your opponent. There's a FRICK ton of options available right now.

The most busted thing about Solgaleo GX is that it has a ton of type versatility due to being fully colorless. Colorless energy hitting for weakness on the currently most popular deck in format while having no weaknesses of its own unless Garbotoxin.

Solgaleo GX is definitely playing minimum 3 field blowers.
If you saw my "Edit 2" you'd see that I recognized shortly after that there's no point in setting up OG Solgaleo GX when facing Gardevoir due to the new Solgaleo OHKOing it, so in that instance yes you'd have your GX attack available to counter Necrozma GX.

Also, I think most here were talking about it as part of the existing Solgaleo deck, not a colorless attacker splashed into other things.

I would expect my opponent to be greedy enough to use Sol Burst GX instead so that healing is not an option. Necrozma GX should be played as a surprise, same goes for Espeon Ex to be most effective.

However, I do admit that against Gardevoir, the Solgaleo Gx player does not "need" to use Sol Burst GX

I will admit that I did not consider the current Solgaleo GX's GX attack, but I also think the reasons I outlined just above your post are good enough reasons to never use it.

I will admit that I did not consider the current Solgaleo GX's GX attack, but I also think the reasons I outlined just above your post are good enough reasons to never use it.

Well then, truth is, there is nothing stopping you from playing a 1-1 line of the new Solgaleo GX in a Gardevoir deck. If you're playing 4 rare candy it could work. Metagross decks have played 1-1 lines of the current Solgaleo GX to some degree of success.

If you saw my "Edit 2" you'd see that I recognized shortly after that there's no point in setting up OG Solgaleo GX when facing Gardevoir due to the new Solgaleo OHKOing it, so in that instance yes you'd have your GX attack available to counter Necrozma GX.

Also, I think most here were talking about it as part of the existing Solgaleo deck, not a colorless attacker splashed into other things.

I did see your Edit 2, but I'm talking about any match up, not just the Gardevoir match up.

Since this thread is about the new Solgaleo GX, I'm completely focused on trying to figure out its potential. I think putting in at least 1 of the OG Solgaleo GX was already implied. Even if you don't play a single steel energy, free switching every turn is just crazy. But hey, if there's no better options than just running steel for the crazy 230 base damage, then so be it.

Well then, truth is, there is nothing stopping you from playing a 1-1 line of the new Solgaleo GX in a Gardevoir deck. If you're playing 4 rare candy it could work. Metagross decks have played 1-1 lines of the current Solgaleo GX to some degree of success.

You're right. There is nothing stopping Gardevoir from splashing in new Solgaleo GX, but there's not much point when it still doesn't solve the issue of needing 6 energy and a choice band or 7 energy to OHKO an opposing Solgaleo GX. This card IS going to see massive play simply. Not just for the Gardevoir counter, but because it's freaking unkillable with built in energy acceleration and fire protection. Running it with Gardevoir is just not the most efficient way to do things, or at least that's what I feel right now.

Back