• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard New Rainbow Road: Xerneas/Tapu Koko/Honchkrow/+

theartist37

Aspiring Trainer
*EDITED OUT HONCHKROW LINE DUE INCONSISTENCY*

Rainbow Road has been one of my favorite decks for awhile. Feel like it hasn't got much love since Sun and Moon/Guardians Rising. I think the new Tapu Koko Promo may change this. Previously most Rainbow Road builds included Joltic/Galvantula line which could be a secondary attacker, 2-shot sniping benched Shaymin-EX, now with Tapu Koko we get to potentially spread a lot more damage counters, at the cost of not hitting for weakness. If not it allows your Xerneas to come in and have a slightly easier time with numbers, especially if your opponent has dropped a Parallel City on you. I also like the Rainbow Force attack because it can reach those magic numbers we are seeing on the most common GX attackers, and can even 1 hit Solgaleo GX with fairly little trouble and easy setup. I think with little item set-up needed you can set-up very well against Garbodor, but that does require everything to go well, and a early Brigette and all your energies hitting you hand. Tapu Lele GX is a welcome inclusion as it adds great utility as well as an additional consistent attacker, something Rainbow Road was greatly missing in my opinion. Everything else, I think, is fairly self-explanatory.

With all that aside, here is a first draft decklist I've put together.
The list is pretty tight, but I feel there is some room for changes, and I'll mention potential cards after the list.

Pokemon: 17
4 Xerneas
3 Tapu Koko
2 Pawniard
2 Bisharp
1 Shaymin EX (could potentially run 2, but I'm testing 1)
1 Volcanion EX
2 Tapu Lele GX
1 Jirachi
1 Carbink

(9 Types to power up Xerneas' Rainbow Force to 280, and you really only need 5 after a couple Flying Flips for most Pokemon. And Professor Kukui adds even more)

Trainers: 32
3 Professor Sycamore (Run 4 if you want, draw supporter count is up to user preference)
1 Professor Kukui
2 N
2 Lysandre
1 Olympia
1 Brigette (the Hoopa of the deck, lets you get extra 90 damage on the table for Xerneas, or set up for Honchkrow)
1 Brock's Grit (preference card, could be swapped. Reusable and better than Super Rod because it doesnt add to Garbodor's Trashalance damage)
1 Delinquent ( A little disruption and counter to Parallel City if you dont have counter-stadium)
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
3 Max Elixir
2 Trainers' Mail
2 Escape Road
1 Float Stone (most Pokemon in list have low retreat cost, or none at all...also keeps item count down, but also personal preference atm)
1 Special Charge (could be 2, maybe)
3 Sky Field

Energy: 11 (12 might be better, but not sure what to cut)
7 Fairy Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

Potential Add-ins:
Hex Maniac (1st Turn Ability Denial, lets you set-up before Quad-Sylveon which could be a problem with all the energy denial)
Pokemon Ranger (Jolteon EX is still a problem)
Choice Band/Fighting Fury Belt (if you feel like the numbers arent right for you)
Rescue Stretcher (just another tool in the box)

Suggestions and helpful criticism welcome. I know this isnt going to be Tier 1, but I just love the archetype and would like to see it get some new life.

Last edited:

theartist37

Aspiring Trainer
Fair point... And actually came to that conclusion in playtesting today... A 2/2 Pawniard/Bisharp is probably still best bet... But I really like Tapu Koko over Galvantula

Crizor

Aspiring Trainer
I really want to try a version of Rainbow Road with 1 Sky Field, 2-3 Parallels, and 1 Paint Roller/Field Blower and put it with 3 Choice Bands so that you still get the 220 hit with only one Dual type while also avoiding the danger of getting Paralleled yourself. The biggest offset of this would be that you almost need to Kukui to hit for 240 and that still doesn't cover 250's if they become popular but it seems a lot more consistent and resilient. If 250's do become popular you can put in two Dual Types and make the core of the deck have more tutors or draw, but that seems risky with Garb warping the meta.