TCG Fakes Neko's Fake Creations: Cards, Screencaps, and More!

I think the only thing really holding the Jap version back (for me) is the foil effect outside the illustration. I don't know if that was a usual thing in the Japanese Gym sets, but it doesn't look quite right, I guess?

I think the only thing really holding the Jap version back (for me) is the foil effect outside the illustration. I don't know if that was a usual thing in the Japanese Gym sets, but it doesn't look quite right, I guess?
That's a nod to Japanese Shining cards (pre-Neo Destiny and Shining Mew promo), which used the regular galaxy foil plus a sparkly laminate. I think the effect looks nice sometimes (especially on Grass-type cards), but maybe I should lower the opacity on this one.

Mash-up of my English Gym and Japanese Neo blanks. Anyone think I should start using this over my regular Gym blanks?

KQO38uU.png
VS
r2WLQXo.jpg

Preview-sized. Actual blank is twice this size.

Last edited:
I actually really like the mash-up, although something just feels a little off. I thought it might be the division bar between the W/R and the RC/level, but I tried removing it and it looks too plain. I think it may be the space between the Resistance the the badge, as that space doesn't exist in the original Gym cards.

That being said, I always enjoy seeing new styles of blank -- especially those from the Classic/Gym/Neo-era!

I actually really like the mash-up, although something just feels a little off. I thought it might be the division bar between the W/R and the RC/level, but I tried removing it and it looks too plain. I think it may be the space between the Resistance the the badge, as that space doesn't exist in the original Gym cards.

That being said, I always enjoy seeing new styles of blank -- especially those from the Classic/Gym/Neo-era!
I feel ya. I had tried spacing the W/R further apart, but the gap looked worse there than it does at the end. I also tried adding the RC to the same line as the W/R and, although it didn't look bad, it didn't feel very official. I think I'll try playing around with the bottom half of the card a bit more and see if I can get it looking closer to the Japanese Neo cards (with room for the Lv. and #).

Last edited:
Much better!

E6pO6L9.png

I included a high Retreat Cost for example purposes (the actual card has no Retreat Cost).

EDIT: Made the div lines and evo bars slightly wider and changed the orangy bits in the gradient to more of a gold color. Also re-positioned some symbols slightly to align with these changes and spaced the Retreat Cost (as well as the LV and #) further apart.

Last edited:
Much better! Had the VS set come out earlier, prior to the E-card series, I'm sure this would've been how the cards were set up. Looks great, Alex!

Amazing work, mate! It's exactly how I'd imagine the cards would look if WOTC made a gym set of the GSC leaders during the Neo era. I may use this for something in the future, possibly.

Looking at the layers of your .psd, it's a lot more organised than that of my own blanks, lol. I definitely should give mine a clean up before I ever release them to the public.

Thanks so much!

I tend to find myself getting lost and turning on/off a lot of layers (to figure out what they are) when layered files aren't organized. I also want it to be easy-to-understand that way I don't have to respond to many questions.

*Shriek!* I just noticed that I've left-out the Psychic Type Orb! I'll add it ASAP.

Last edited:
Many apologies, but I updated my Neo-Gym template again! I had accidentally made the Energy symbols too small when replacing the English symbols with the Japanese ones (Neo cards had textures and symbols closer to their Japanese counterparts than the Classic sets), which threw-off the alignment in relation to other elements. I've enlarged the symbols now and the alignment seems to check-out. I also moved the Resistance "boomerang" up 1px and the "-30" left 1px. Updated symbol sheet in the description. Crossing my fingers that this is the last update!

I also want to point-out that I'm aware the top half of the template doesn't match-up perfectly with English Neo cards. I did make some minor tweaks to make it closer, but many of the original Japanese elements are retained (thin art border and specs bar, drop shadow under Baby effect, etc).

Last edited:
Gift card for one of my favorite Fakemon artists (his art, not mine):

CxJqsBS.png

I also remade some of my previous fakes with my Neo-Gym cards. Just posting Weedle here:

alex_s_shining_weedle__fake_card__by_icycatelf-db5o9x0.png

Looks good! Thanks for using my template and I hope you had fun with it (and continue to do so)!

I think I spot an error, though: did you mean to use Skarmory's name in the attack effect?

This is for a friend's contribution to TheShiningTrainers project. She came up with everything but the attack effect. This was my attempt, but I'm wanting to know if it's balanced (or how to balance it if it isn't):

[Basic] Ezra's Shining Houndoom - 60 HP (D)

You can't have more than 1 Ezra's Shining Houndoom in your deck

(R)(R)(D)(D) Napalm
Discard any number of (R) Energy cards attached to Ezra's Shining Houndoom. For each Energy card discarded in this way, choose 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. That Pokémon is now Burned, regardless of whether it's your opponent's Active Pokémon or not, and remains Burned even if it's Benched. (Only Trainer card, Pokémon Power, or attack effects can remove the Burned condition caused by this attack.)

Weakness (W) Resistance (P) Retreat Cost (C)

Note: I'm aware that Burned didn't exist in this era, but we've decided to use it in the set anyway (with the condition's old effect).

Note II: Basic Darkness Energy as well as Special Darkness Energy will be playable, so it's possible that this attack would gain 20 base damage.

I think that the balancing of the attack really depends on how the Burn condition will work. If it has the potential to do 20 damage upon a head flip between turns, then I think it might be too powerful, as mathematically you'll be gauranteed knocking out a 60HP Pokemon after three turns max, or one-and-a-half if you're lucky. Either way, that Pokemon is most likely getting KO'd, and in a somewhat short time. From my understanding, that would typically make a high power attack in the Neo era? Compare that to a Burn mechanic where it's 10 damage upon a head flip, you've gotten a minimum of 3 turns before a KO, although more likely 6 turns, which I reckon a more balanced amount of time, within my knowledge of the era.

I think the issue will more arise if you're able to use the attack across a number of turns, meaning that your opponent will likely be losing a significant number of Pokemon consecutively. It'll make the game something of a time-bomb. Considering this, the best way to balance the effect would be to reduce the time on the 'bomb'. You do have a high attack cost that I reckon is difficult to achieve, so that delays the time until the attack can be used, which is a good start. The other ways would be to reduce the power of the Burn condition as mentioned already, preventing the attack from being used during 'your next turn', or requiring a heavy Energy discard cost, that being some two or three Energy.

Note II: Basic Darkness Energy as well as Special Darkness Energy will be playable, so it's possible that this attack would gain 20 base damage.
Are you sure? Unless I'm missing an important Neo-era rule, the Special Darkness Energy should only add damage to an attack that already has a base damage. It's sorta like adding damage to something that doesn't exist. That means that if the attack has no base damage, attaching a Special Darkeness Energy should do nothing more than allow you to actually use the attack.

I think that the balancing of the attack really depends on how the Burn condition will work. If it has the potential to do 20 damage upon a head flip between turns, then I think it might be too powerful, as mathematically you'll be gauranteed knocking out a 60HP Pokemon after three turns max, or one-and-a-half if you're lucky. Either way, that Pokemon is most likely getting KO'd, and in a somewhat short time. From my understanding, that would typically make a high power attack in the Neo era? Compare that to a Burn mechanic where it's 10 damage upon a head flip, you've gotten a minimum of 3 turns before a KO, although more likely 6 turns, which I reckon a more balanced amount of time, within my knowledge of the era.

I think the issue will more arise if you're able to use the attack across a number of turns, meaning that your opponent will likely be losing a significant number of Pokemon consecutively. It'll make the game something of a time-bomb. Considering this, the best way to balance the effect would be to reduce the time on the 'bomb'. You do have a high attack cost that I reckon is difficult to achieve, so that delays the time until the attack can be used, which is a good start. The other ways would be to reduce the power of the Burn condition as mentioned already, preventing the attack from being used during 'your next turn', or requiring a heavy Energy discard cost, that being some two or three Energy.

Are you sure? Unless I'm missing an important Neo-era rule, the Special Darkness Energy should only add damage to an attack that already has a base damage. It's sorta like adding damage to something that doesn't exist. That means that if the attack has no base damage, attaching a Special Darkeness Energy should do nothing more than allow you to actually use the attack.
Did a burn ever do only 10 damage? Bulbapedia only mentions it doing 20 prior to Sun & Moon.

Hmm... How about this, then?

(R)(R)(R)(D)(D) Napalm
Discard all (R) Energy cards attached to Ezra's Shining Houndoom or this attack does nothing. Choose 3 of your opponent's Pokémon. Those Pokémon are now Burned, even if they're on the Bench. A Pokémon Burned by this attack stays Burned even if it's retreated to the Bench (only Trainer card, Pokémon Power, or attack effects can remove the condition).

I assume Special Darkness Energy adds 10 damage to any attack, even if its base damage is 0. 0 + 10 is 10, after all.

Did a burn ever do only 10 damage? Bulbapedia only mentions it doing 20 prior to Sun & Moon.

Hmm... How about this, then?

(R)(R)(R)(D)(D) Napalm
Discard all (R) Energy cards attached to Ezra's Shining Houndoom or this attack does nothing. Choose 3 of your opponent's Pokémon. Those Pokémon are now Burned, even if they're on the Bench. A Pokémon Burned by this attack stays Burned even if it's retreated to the Bench (only Trainer card, Pokémon Power, or attack effects can remove the condition).
I don't think the Burn condition has ever been 10 damage, but if Burn did exist in the Neo era, it might not have been 20.

Oh, I misread the attack, my bad! I actually think the original attack was pretty balanced, perhaps just needing a few tweaks to err on the side of caution. I think that it would be better balance-wise if you could only Burn a single Pokemon per each use of the attack, like in a [R][R][D][D] attack, discard two [R][R], a Pokemon is Burned. However, I'm not too sure if the idea behind the attack is to have multiple Pokemon Burned at once, as this method of balancing would entirely change that.

I assume Special Darkness Energy adds 10 damage to any attack, even if its base damage is 0. 0 + 10 is 10, after all.
Just that in the modern era, damage boosting cards (such as Special Energy) do not boost attacks that don't have a base damage.

I don't think the Burn condition has ever been 10 damage, but if Burn did exist in the Neo era, it might not have been 20.

Well...

displayimage.php

I mean, I can't blame you since it wasn't called "burn" back then, and this Quilava was more or less the only pokemon that did it until the third generation, but it did exist in the Neo era.

Oh, I misread the attack, my bad! I actually think the original attack was pretty balanced, perhaps just needing a few tweaks to err on the side of caution. I think that it would be better balance-wise if you could only Burn a single Pokemon per each use of the attack, like in a [R][R][D][D] attack, discard two [R][R], a Pokemon is Burned. However, I'm not too sure if the idea behind the attack is to have multiple Pokemon Burned at once, as this method of balancing would entirely change that.

Just that in the modern era, damage boosting cards (such as Special Energy) do not boost attacks that don't have a base damage.
The idea was to Burn multiple Pokémon at once, but I can see where you're coming from with the time-bomb reference. How about this, then?

(R)(R)(D)(D) Napalm - 30
Discard all (R) Energy cards attached to Ezra's Shining Houndoom, then flip a number of coins equal to the number of Energy cards discarded in this way. For each heads, choose 1 of your opponent's Pokémon and that Pokémon is now Burned (even if it's 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon). For each tails, do the same for your own Pokémon. Any Pokémon Burned by this effect can only be healed of this condition by Pokémon Power, attack, Trainer card, or Special Energy card effects (even Benching the Pokémon won't end this effect).

A bit risky, but she did mention that she loves the use of gambling aesthetics.

Back