Discussion Necrozma / Magnezone / Metal toolbox counters?

juunkmilk

3nd coming
Currently have 3 decks on PTCGO all of which have been rarely losing except for to this deck, which I've yet to beat once. Far as I see it metal is just ludicrously overpowered, what am I missing? Anyone have any ideas or tips? Really don't want another ODIF that's why I stopped playing in the first place.
(for ref the 3 decks I have are a pretty straight forward gardy focused on consistency, a quad sylveon, and a leafeon / decidueye / zoroark)

When making decks one thing you gotta realize is a drck cant beat every deck. Some do have weakness. I see you are using 3 decks. Prob is all the seem weak to the drck your talking about amoung other decks. All 3 your decks have steel weakness with either standard weaknesd aka fairy decks. Or just play weakness.
If you want to beat steel type decks or decks that rely on abilitys. Make a deck that counters it.

Last edited:
When making decks one thing you gotta realize is a drck cant beat every deck. Some do have weakness. I see you are using 3 decks. Prob is all the seem weak to the drck your talking about amoung other decks. All 3 your decks have steel weakness with either standard weaknesd aka fairy decks. Or just play weakness.
If you want to beat steel type decks or decks that rely on abilitys. Make a deck that counters it.
this makes sense to me but it also just reinforces my point that metal is op and it brings the format in a direction where the only very viable decks are it and counters to it, maybe a few other tier 1s. my question was is there a techable counter to this deck and i guess the answer is no. I'll just build a new deck.

follow up question:
which decks actually do counter it well?

Fire decks counter it well. Also decks that set up fast do. Aka f8ghting decks. Atm im prepareing to go yo st louis. I play soloageo metagross deck . Along with the one you state in post. The one deck i have issues with alot other then volc decks is lycanroc or buzzole decks. Buzz ones more then. Anything i lost to it alot. Never beat it in any of the last 4 cups i went too. Graninja drcks are also hard but i can beat them. They just hard and not a guarantee

Fire decks counter it well. Also decks that set up fast do. Aka f8ghting decks. Atm im prepareing to go yo st louis. I play soloageo metagross deck . Along with the one you state in post. The one deck i have issues with alot other then volc decks is lycanroc or buzzole decks. Buzz ones more then. Anything i lost to it alot. Never beat it in any of the last 4 cups i went too. Graninja drcks are also hard but i can beat them. They just hard and not a guarantee
cool thank you for the insight. maybe if I just make my leafeon run even faster it'll work. maybe i'll switch. i'm just overly attached to playing a deck that's cute tbh.

I don't know how viable it is otherwise, but Electavire ULP has an attack that always paralyzes Metals.

cool thank you for the insight. maybe if I just make my leafeon run even faster it'll work. maybe i'll switch. i'm just overly attached to playing a deck that's cute tbh.

To quote a common saying: There are several ways to skin the cat. One would be to run a deck that hits it for weakness such as Volcanion variants. The other means is to look out for decks that can ohko but focus on non-GX attackers. Examples of these decks would be Rainbow Road, Garchomp Lucario, and Empoleon varaint. The third means would be to accept that another GX-focused deck needs to be rather fast and replace attackers at the same speed as Dusk Mane Magnezone. Examples of such decks that are also able to achieve ohkos are Golisopod / Lurantis / Leafeon and Leafeon / Lurantis. Another example of such a deck would be Buzzwole / Lycranroc but that does not fit into your definition of using decks with cute attackers. I am not a fan of Leafeon Zoroark variants because the synergy between both attackers is limited. Zoroark benefits little from Leafeon and vice versa.

To quote a common saying: There are several ways to skin the cat. One would be to run a deck that hits it for weakness such as Volcanion variants. The other means is to look out for decks that can ohko but focus on non-GX attackers. Examples of these decks would be Rainbow Road, Garchomp Lucario, and Empoleon varaint. The third means would be to accept that another GX-focused deck needs to be rather fast and replace attackers at the same speed as Dusk Mane Magnezone. Examples of such decks that are also able to achieve ohkos are Golisopod / Lurantis / Leafeon and Leafeon / Lurantis. Another example of such a deck would be Buzzwole / Lycranroc but that does not fit into your definition of using decks with cute attackers. I am not a fan of Leafeon Zoroark variants because the synergy between both attackers is limited. Zoroark benefits little from Leafeon and vice versa.
very thoughtful response! I'm definitely intrigued by Leafeon/ Lurantis, because I keep rare orchids as a hobby and love lurantis as a pokemon, and I like the idea of constant healing from leafeon / solar blade. In case I can't find another list though, does this mean that the deck is only leafeon and lurantis or would it be a leafeon / decidueye with lurantis replacing the zoroark? I also don't know what rainbow road is bc i've been absent from the game a few years but I'm sure I can find that on my own.
edit: i see now that leafeon / lurantis means the lurantis promo, not the gx. whoooops

Hi juunkmilk,

Here is a sample list for Leafeon Lurantis and one for Golisopod Lurantis Leafeon that worked well for me. There is also a video on Leafeon Lurantis online, which shows a somewhat different build. Rainbow Road is a deck focused on Xerneas from Break Through. The main idea here is to fill the bench with two dual types and four other types to hit for a decent amount for Rainbow Force. The deck will become better one Arceus Prism Star is released.

Here is a raw draft for Rainbow Road:

Pokémon (16):
  • 1 Marshadow GX
  • 1 Volcanion EX
  • 2 Tapu Lele GX
  • 2 Galvantula
  • 2 Pawniard
  • 1 Oranguru
  • 4 Xerneas
  • 1 Bisharp
  • 2 Joltik
Trainers (30):
  • 3 Sycamore
  • 2 Brigette
  • 3 Cynthia
  • 3 Guzma
  • 3 N
  • 1 Rescue Stretcher
  • 2 Field Blower
  • 3 Choice Band
  • 4 Max Elixir
  • 2 Exp. Share
  • 4 Ultra Ball
Energy (14):
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 10 Fairy Energy
Hope this provides some initial assistance.

wow thank you so much, starting to read through now. at the moment we're still running a leafeon/decidueye but have replaced the zoroark with golisopod (i got the rainbow rare so i could stand it's not being cute). i know decidueye is heaps less consistent but i love the control i have when i get 3 or 4 out, it's more fun to think through the turns and i often take 2+ KOs in a turn.

Other than the obvious "play Volcanion" answer (to be honest I am completely tired of that deck- it's boring to play, boring to watch) I had a lot of success with Salazzle-Garbotoxin which wrecks anything metal, (including the top ones right now, especially Dusk Mane) and doesn't too bad against other ability reliant decks either. I also teched in a Cobalion and 2x Counter Energy which can revenge kill a Garde GX or a Glaceon GX and can also potentially take out other stuff as well with a Band. I don't claim that this is some sort of amazing rouge deck (especially since the possibility of Salazzle/Garbotoxin has been discussed since like forever) because it has no access to energy acceleration so basically you will need to make sure that you can attach 1 energy every turn, otherwise the deck will most likely lose against anything else that is not metal. Buuuut imo it is something to consider when looking at the state of the meta right now. That or some sort of Turbo Turtles/Garbotoxin combination. Of course Buzzwole/Garbotoxin/Max Elixir can also work.

Something else completely different that also seems to work often for me is Silvally with fire memory and Xerneas BREAK. It's true that Silvally dies to Buzzwole very easily but that's where Xerneas comes in. With Max Elixirs, Geomancy and DCEs (on Leles, Oranguru and Silvally) it's not that hard to get an army of Xerneas BREAKs charged up that can hit 190-210 quite easily. And Silvally can also potentially take out a bulky GX with Rebel GX even if it doesn't hit it for weakness so I find the the deck to be quite versatile. The metal weakness doesn't matter because Xerneas only gives up 1 prize and any big metal attacker one shots it anyway. Xerneas also has darkness resistance which can be handy against Zoroark.

I'm not sure about the resurgence of Espeon-GX/Garbotoxin to be honest. Of course ability lock is cool and all, but both Zoroark and metal resist psychic so if you can't hit 'em hard quickly enough then that might just give them enough time to recover from Garbotoxin.

Back