Pokemon Naming Your Character in Pokémon Games

I used to make names up for my trainers in-game (such as Alice from my B&W game and made it follow a story from B&W2, thanks to the thing which let the game retain memories from B&W which I cant remember what's its called) but I hardly do that these days.

Now its just Dale (my surname) with the boy trainer and pretty much self inserting myself. I get questioned a couple of times why I chose the boy model but I'm not bothered, its just the way I see myself.

Since 5 years ago, I've named my character after Zyflair's name. Before that, it was just my real name or a string of nonsense characters in the case of Gen I.

Most of the time I name my character by my own name.

On crystal which had the first female playable character I chose her, since I'm a male having a male name would be odd so I named her "Kris" based on her real name.

On Omega Ruby I chose "Victorsaurus" since this gen you can put a longer name plus it's the username I use in alot of sites.

I used to name my characters whatever Japanese name that struck me fancy, but not anymore. Now I just name them either Gleam, Chime or Avangift. Gleam Noiyam only if it fits, which in generation VI, it does!

For the past few games [I think I started this in Platinum], I always named my character after a long standing nickname/character of mine: Kyamay.
Before that, I would just name them after whatever name I liked most at the time; the only one I remember being "Liz" on Ruby

For a very long time, I'd make up a fake name for each trainer I played. Jeana for Hilda, Laura for Mei/Rosa.... Stuff like that..

But now I name my characters Lexi, my IRL nickname.

I tend to chose based on what type of game I play. If I'm playing a main series game, I will go with either Joules (my nickname) or Julian (my name). I will also sometimes go as Juliet if my character is female. However, if I'm playing a hack, I usually go by the French name of espeon, Mentali. I just love how it sounds, intelligent, yet not too fancy.

Sometimes I'll name it Mikey (after me), whereas other times I'll name it after one of my nicknames, or if I decide to do a themed run, like on my copy of Sun, I'll name it after a character. I did a Fairy Tail themed run on Sun, so my PC was named Mavis.

Back