Media My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Equestria Girls was not that bad. The fandom has ruined humanized ponies for me, so it's weird seeing them all have the exact same cup size, but I've gotten used to it and it wasn't that bad a special.

I thought EG would make me cringe, but I watched it and actually quite enjoyed it. So go figure. I guess it helps that I'm not really much involved in any bits of the pony fandom so I didn't have too many preconceived notions, nor anything previously destroyed for me.

Humanized ponies was seen as the salt in the wound that was Twilight getting wings and breaking the unwritten law that there were only two alicorns in Equestria, never mind that Cadance already shit on that "law" at the end of season two.

And it's not like it means anything, EG was successful enough to spawn a sequel so they must have done something right, and people are content to draw their fanon humanized ponies so people should just dealwithit.gif

Athena said:
I thought EG would make me cringe, but I watched it and actually quite enjoyed it. So go figure. I guess it helps that I'm not really much involved in any bits of the pony fandom so I didn't have too many preconceived notions, nor anything previously destroyed for me.
PMJ said:
Humanized ponies was seen as the salt in the wound that was Twilight getting wings and breaking the unwritten law that there were only two alicorns in Equestria, never mind that Cadance already shit on that "law" at the end of season two.

And it's not like it means anything, EG was successful enough to spawn a sequel so they must have done something right, and people are content to draw their fanon humanized ponies so people should just dealwithit.gif
Yeah, the main problem I see with it is just the Character designs. Like if your going to make them humans, make their skin color normal. I don't like the idea of blue and pink humans walking around.

Well I finished Season 4, and now I have nothing to do with my life

Time for meaningless critiques
Season 2 was my favorite Season
Hurricane Fluttershy was my favorite episode
Fluttershy is my favorite character
Cheese Sandwich is my favorite guest character
Discord is my favorite villain and non-pony character
Rarity annoys me so much
Equestria girls was extremely bad
I want to murder Snips and Snails

Also, all the season premiers and finales were great, although the Season 3 finale was EXTREMELY rushed. They managed to cram 7 songs, the Cutie Mark switch up, and Twilicorn into one episode. Would've been a lot better as a 2 part thing.

Wigglytuff said:
Also, all the season premiers and finales were great, although the Season 3 finale was EXTREMELY rushed. They managed to cram 7 songs, the Cutie Mark switch up, and Twilicorn into one episode. Would've been a lot better as a 2 part thing.

I know I'm a little late for this, but welcome to the herd! :D

Have you checked out any Brony analysis and review videos on YouTube yet? If not, you should check out some analyses on the Season 3 finale, particularly the ones by DigiBro and TheMysteriousMrEnter. They talk about theories and hidden meanings in the episode that will really blow your mind and that give an extra layer of depth and symbolism to the entire episode, as well as the whole show.

Also, as everyone else gave their Brony origin stories, might as well give mine.

The PokeBeach forums themselves made me curious about MLP:FiM back when I joined in 2011. I saw all these pony gifs and avatars and thought it was they were from just another one of those internet series like Bravest Warriors or something. Then somebody mentioned they were from a show called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and then I was really curious. I watched the first season premiere on Youtube on Columbus Day 2011 and I liked it! I recently got finished binge watching the first two seasons of Digimon at the time and I thought the Elements of Harmony were similar the tags and crests from Digimon, which sort of blew my mind a little. :p I then proceeded to watch the next 8 episodes, thinking they were alright (I also remember trying to watch The Show Stoppers and being SO bored with it!). I later did some research on the show and read about how the Mane 6 got their cutie marks in an episode called the Cutie Mark Chronicles, watched it and loved it!! It was only a matter of time until I started collecting MLP merch, particularly the small blind bag figures and other little knick knacks. Now, I've seen every episode (including both EQG's), know 95% of the songs off the back of my head, and have a shoe box full of blind bag figures.

TL;DR, for the past 3 years MLP has been almost as big of a part of my life as Pokemon. Almost.

IMO, the songs made up for what the plot lacked (fandom terminology not intended). With a little tweaking (first off, not making Twi a freaking idiot) it would have been perfectly fine and the songs could then push the movie into my 'great' tier.

Also, I rather enjoyed the references this time around
especially that 'daft rarity.' TBH I expected it more from Pinkie
And Sunset... Sweet Celestia her role was great. Even if the whole rest of the movie was twice as bad, her role would make it bearable. I was iffy about the first movie its .5 second enemy/friend conversion ("don't do bad things, OK?" "OK" "My work is done here. kthxbai") but this definitely made up for it.

I rather enjoyed Rainbow Rocks. Hasbro's done a good job with taking what I thought would be a very bad fanfic and turned it around into something awesome. I can't say the same for the dolls, with how off-model they are, but if they're selling to little girls, then they're doing what they're intended to do. Having Vinyl/ P0N-3 in a plot-relevant role was a great nod to the fans (sorry for the spoiler). I wouldn't cringe of EG spun off into its own TV series at this point, so long as the songs are just as awesome.

On another note, I found this while surfing the net. I've read that particular comic, but I didn't notice it until it was so kindly pointed out for me. I am quite thrilled at this little shoutout. Someone please write a fanfic. Now.

zdRwyxB.jpg

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/10/my-little-pony-feature-length-film.html

MLP FiM Film out in 2017

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/ccn0TvjFs-k[/video]

My Little Keldeo said:
I can't say the same for the dolls, with how off-model they are, but if they're selling to little girls, then they're doing what they're intended to do.

I actually really like the dolls. >_> I have one of Twilight and one of Trixie.

Also, the MLP comic is full of little cameos like that. My favourite ones that I've seen have been of the senshi from Sailor Moon, such as this shot of Haruka and Michiru (Sailors Uranus and Neptune).

On topic, I haven't had a chance to see Rainbow Rocks yet, though I hope to over the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised with EG, so I guess we'll see what I think of this one.

Wow, I can't believe I'd have mssed that! I guess Keldeo is a little eaiier to spot since he's already a pony haha. Which comic is that from? That's definitely Haruka and Michiru ponified. That's totally awesome, especially since Michiru-chan is my girleh. :D

I'm not actually sure, sadly; I don't have the comics myself (I don't think they're available here). A college of different Sailor Senshi as ponies (this was only one such example, there are others of all the main senshi, I believe) was posted to a Sailor Moon FB group I belong to which is how I heard of it in the first place. There have been other references to other various franchises, too.

I haven't read many of the comics, but I have seen those cameos. I love the Keldeo one. I hope we see more characters from Pokemon as ponies in the comics, especially human characters!

Now I shall give my thoughts on Rainbow Rocks, even though I only saw it once on YouTube last month with a really slow internet connection so it took me 3 hours to watch the whole thing in snippets while it loaded.

Ok, I agree that was better than the first movie. I especially loved to see all the new fan favorites like Lyra, Bon Bon, Maud and Octavia! (inb4 OMG SHE SPOKE NRJSJNKJFH) I loved Daft Rarity and Derpy playing the saw, I fell over laughing at both! That final battle scene/song also gave me goosebumps, especially when Sunset started singing and the end with the giant Rainbow Alicorn Attack. (Harmony, harmony, OH LOVE!) The songs, even though the lyrics were kinda cheesy were so unbelievably catchy! If I don't have one song stuck in my head, its another! Ingram you sadistic genius! Welp, that's all i got.

I made a Fluttershy pumpkin
RieE0vN.jpg

Credit for stencil http://bunnywinter.deviantart.com/art/Fluttershy-s-Stare-Pumpkin-Stencil-491131708

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/11/season-5-teaser-on-official-mlp-youtube.html

Season 5 starts spring 2015

also here are my pulls from the Celestial Solstice MLP CCG box :)

http://s175.photobucket.com/user/kaisernathan1701/library/Celestia%20Soltice%20pulls?sort=3&page=1

It's been a while hasn't it? No, really, this was probably the longest hiatus ever for MLP but I think everybody made it out alive!

Time to reignite this thread with Season 5! :D

Thoughts on The Cutie Map:
Well, this was certainly an interesting one indeed. It was nowhere near as epic as Princess Twilight Sparkle but it didn't need to be. Starlight Glimmer was one heck of a mysterious villain. I mean, what was really her intention? Did something happen to her in the past that made her so radical or was she raised that way? The episode probably set up her returning later on, I'd love to see more of her.
There were some dark and creepy moments too. Like when the Mane 6 got their cutie marks taken and the intercom spilling propaganda ("You can't have a nightmare if you never dream" O_O).

Overall, it was an interesting premiere and really sets up what will happen in the season. We'll probably see the Mane 6 summoned to more locations across Equestria (Phillydelphia, Los Pegasus, etc.). Oh, and I REALLY hope the CMC get their cutie marks! I mean, the theme of season 5 is "Cutie Mark Magic"! Not to mention Brian Lenard (Executive Director of Hasbro Studios) mentioned in the preview interviews that they were doing something that they were waiting to do for a really long time but got cut off before he could say it. I'm placing my bets he was going to say the CMC were getting their marks. Hmmm...

Anyone else have conflicted feelings about that premier?

I mean, sure, they avoided the Deus Ex Machina solutions they used in practically every other premier/finale, but overall it still seemed a little predictable - after all, with 'everyone equal', starlight's magic was proof from the start she was different.

Beyond that, the show didn't really feel like a 'true' MLP episode to me - but that's probably just the 'hiatus shock' not wearing off yet, if not the sudden use of new animations tried with the faces/etc (most notable on FS near the end of that one song... Some were nice, but others it was clear they tried a bit TOO hard)

And speaking of that song... *shudders*
I know it was meant to show something was... well, off about the town, but it still didn't feel like it should be considered an official MLP song.

Don't get me wrong, I rather enjoyed it as a whole. It was just missing all the earmarks of a 'great' episode, at least in my book.

iSharingan said:
And speaking of that song... *shudders*
I know it was meant to show something was... well, off about the town, but it still didn't feel like it should be considered an official MLP song.

I have to agree with that. The song was kinda bizarre and it didn't really feel like a song you'd hear in MLP. Although it did do a good job at showing how strict Starlight was in terms of conformity. Like when she fixed a pony's mane to look the same as the others and glared at another pony for dancing out of sync.

Thoughts on Castle Sweet Castle:

I realized about halfway through the song that things were going to end in disaster. I liked Twilight's new look, even if it was brief.

Speaking of the song, I didn't particularly like it, but it was nice to hear the entire cast sing.

I also think that Pinkie's hidden confetti cannons could make for a good plot device. I'm predicting that at random points in the season, in random scenes in the castle, more of the confetti cannons will go off. Maybe even in the season finale to thwart the end boss? :O

Back