Discussion Mill Decks

gman21

If only my avatar was real
I have played a couple of mill decks in the past and I was wondering if there are any viable mill decks in today's standard format.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Well, not as much as in the past, but mill certainly still exists in the form of Bunnelby/ Houndoom, or Mew/ Durant. But of both of those, Bunnelby/ Houndoom is much better. It has ,for the most part, decent matchups against everything, and has generally the same games over and over. Durant/ Mew is really unpredictable for both players, which makes it not very good. Although I personally think Mill decks in this format are totally boring, just give me a say-so, and I can give you a skeleton for Bunnelby/ Houndoom.

LBelleBird

Aspiring Trainer
I love mill decks for their disruptive capabilities. I haven't been able to make a successful one though. Would you mind posting that skeleton list?

Durant/ Mew is really unpredictable for both players, which makes it not very good. Although I personally think Mill decks in this format are totally boring, just give me a say-so, and I can give you a skeleton for Bunnelby/ Houndoom.

gman21

If only my avatar was real
Well, not as much as in the past, but mill certainly still exists in the form of Bunnelby/ Houndoom, or Mew/ Durant. But of both of those, Bunnelby/ Houndoom is much better. It has ,for the most part, decent matchups against everything, and has generally the same games over and over. Durant/ Mew is really unpredictable for both players, which makes it not very good. Although I personally think Mill decks in this format are totally boring, just give me a say-so, and I can give you a skeleton for Bunnelby/ Houndoom.
I had someone at my local league give me a skeleton, but I would appreciate if you gave me yours. Thanks

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Thanks for the enthusiasm! Here's my skeleton:

Pokemon:7
  • 4 Houndoom
  • 2 Bunnelby
  • 1 Shaymin-EX
Trainers:40
  • 3 Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 1 Judge
  • 2 Flare Grunt
  • 1 Olympia
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Aqua Base
  • 3 FFB
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Crushing Hammer
  • 1 Enhanced Hammer
  • 4 Puzzle Of Time
  • 2 Team Rocket's Handywork
Energy:7
  • 7 Fire
Free space:6
That's my take on the deck. You could always add another Shaymin, or switch 2 Houndoom for 2 more Bunnelby, but I think since Houndoom has higher HP, it should have a high count.

cymonguk

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I set one up just to try it out, I can't say I would play a lot with it but its occasionally a good way to test deck making skills this is mine, it is a mix of energy denial and mill deck:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 11

* 1 Bunnelby PRC 121
* 2 Talonflame STS 96
* 2 Houndoom-EX BKT 21
* 3 Slowpoke BKP 19
* 3 Slowking BKP 21

##Trainer Cards - 40

* 4 Crushing Hammer EPO 92
* 4 Lysandre FLF 90
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 1 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Team Flare Grunt XY 129
* 2 Evosoda XY 116
* 2 Escape Rope PRC 127
* 2 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 2 Skyla BKT 148
* 2 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 1 Faded Town AOR 73
* 1 Reverse Valley BKP 110
* 2 Level Ball AOR 76
* 3 Switch ROS 91
* 2 Parallel City BKT 145
* 4 N FAC 105
* 1 Sky Field ROS 89
* 2 Ultra Ball FAC 113
* 1 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94
* 2 Delinquent BKP 98

##Energy - 9

* 9 Fire Energy BLWEnergy 4

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Only played 8 games but won 6, most people rarely face a mill deck/energy denial deck so struggle to beat it.

Talonflame is there to help you get cards out early game, if you start without it so be it I have won without it and with it, though it is obviously easier to start with it.

I would probably swap the Bunnelby out for Houndoom EX if I had more. Houndooms high XP keeps him in the game early on, although Bunnelby is great if you want to dig out those hammers for a couple of turns!

Slowking - I have three in the deck I maybe would push to 4, it needs testing. These are easy to get out and evolve. Stick them on your bench and oops, your opponent struggles to get to them. You sit there flipping a coin for each every turn, and you move energy off their active onto Octillery/Shaymin/Hoopa, etc. Often people concede after 5-8 turns when they cannot get anything going!

Hammers/Flare Grunt for energy removal

Super Rod to keep your deck turning over

Switching is there to counteract lysandre. Lysandre is their to move their active around also the same for Escape rope.

I have 5 stadium here, i would prefer to have more parallel city, but this was made on the fly yesterday so don't have them in hand, ensuring they only have 3 pokemon on the bench hurts many decks. I also like Faded Town for EX heavy decks. Having this many stadium allows you reverse any stadium they play.

Delinquent again is all about denial here, stop them getting cards, remove their stadiums.

The whole point of the deck is denial. You stop them having cards in hand, you stop them using energy by moving it around, you restrict their pokemon, gradually you mill away at their deck with houndoom (and FFB). It still needs a little bit of optimisation, but it is horrible and nasty.

I would like more Flare Grunt, would like to put up Mr Mime with Barrier to protect the bench, possibly go to 4 talonflames for the start up.

21times

Aspiring Trainer
I just realized tonight that the new Raticate in evolutions is actually a mill deck. Personally, I feel that there are too many mill decks in the meta right now. I really don't like them and if I keep seeing 3 or 4 a night on ptcgo I think I'm going to stop playing.

cymonguk

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Yeah I don't like them but never see them to be honest I generally see Greninja, Mewtwo, Vespequen. If I see Greninja I just jack it in as I hate the deck with a passion

yosemitesaurus_rex

Aspiring Trainer
I've been playing the Houndoom Mill deck since I first crafted it when Houndoom-EX was released. This includes playing with physical cards at my local league as well as on the PTCGO recently.

This first deck list I use for Expanded format. On the PTCGO my record is 33 wins, 15 losses. As you would expect on the PTCGO this is against a mix of competitive and non-meta decks, but overall I'd say it fairs quite well in most match-ups.

##Pokémon - 8

* 3 Bunnelby PRC 121
* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 3 Houndoom-EX BKT 153

##Trainer Cards - 46

* 3 Trick Shovel FLF 98
* 2 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 Xerosic PHF 119
* 2 Team Aqua's Secret Base DCR 28
* 1 AZ PHF 117
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 2 Super Scoop Up FFI 100
* 1 Startling Megaphone FLF 97
* 3 Team Flare Grunt XY 129
* 4 Crushing Hammer GEN 60
* 3 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 2 Head Ringer Team Flare Hyper Gear PHF 97
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 3 N FAC 105
* 3 Team Rocket's Handiwork FAC 124
* 1 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
* 2 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94
* 1 Max Potion BKP 103
* 3 Ultra Ball ROS 93
* 2 Professor Sycamore XY 122
* 3 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 1 Delinquent BKP 98

##Energy - 6

* 6 Fire Energy GEN 76

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

This next deck listed below I use for Standard format. Tbh, I haven't played this deck much since the standard rotation in September. This is my first iteration of the deck in standard and it definitely hasn't been optimized for current standard play. I'd wager it requires quite a bit of revision. My PTCGO record is 6 wins, 7 losses. Not impressive, but to be fair it's quite a small sample size. The main issues when converting the deck to the new standard format was finding replacements for AZ, Xerosic, Super Scoop Up, and Startling Megaphone. Having not really looked at this list much recently, if I were to make changes now I'd probably try the following: -1 Team Rocket's Handiwork, -1 Max Elixir, +2 Escape Rope, -1 Professor Birch's Observations, +1 Shauna or N. Other options to consider would be Exp. Share in order to retain the limited energy in the deck, Brock's Grit in order to reacquire some of those energy and pokemon you'll inevitably lose throughout the match, Hex Maniac to shut down turn 1-2 Hoopa-EX/Shaymin-EX, or even Captivating Pokepuff for the same reason as Hex Maniac, and Ninja Boy to switch out your active Shaymin or to replace your Bunnelby with a high HP Houndoom-EX.

##Pokémon - 8

* 3 Bunnelby PRC 121
* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 3 Houndoom-EX BKT 153

##Trainer Cards - 46

* 3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 2 Team Aqua's Secret Base DCR 28
* 1 Assault Vest BKT 133
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 4 Team Flare Grunt XY 129
* 4 Crushing Hammer GEN 60
* 1 Escape Rope PRC 127
* 3 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 2 Parallel City BKT 145
* 3 N FAC 105
* 4 Team Rocket's Handiwork FAC 124
* 1 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
* 3 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94
* 2 Max Potion BKP 103
* 3 Ultra Ball ROS 93
* 2 Professor Sycamore XY 122
* 1 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 3 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Delinquent BKP 98

##Energy - 6

* 6 Fire Energy GEN 76

Total Cards - 60

DeDeNNe

Di-Denki Nitro Neon, or De2NNe. Very Lethal
My favourite mill deck is durant-mew, they really work out good for me.

yosemitesaurus_rex

Aspiring Trainer
If you look at my Standard format decklist above, I implemented a few of the card swaps I discussed: -1 Team Rocket's Handiwork, -1 Max Elixir, -1 Professor Birch's Observations, +2 Escape Rope, and +1 Shauna. Since then, my record has been 13 wins, 6 losses. Some of those wins came against Greninja BREAK, M Mewtwo, M Rayquaza, M Gyarados, and Yveltal-EX. I'll keep playing to see how it continues to fair but I'm really liking the results against unsuspecting victims! I'm actually considering making room for 1-2 copies of Rattata from Evolutions in order to remove tools attached to my opponents active pokemon. This might help slow down mega evolution decks by cutting out spirit links, as well as lessen damage taken from Fighting Fury Belt.

Anyway, if anyone else is trying out mill decks, such as the Durant/Mew deck, post your decklist, results, and how you handle the various popular decks encountered either online or at league. I'm curious to see what tech cards and such other people are using.

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside
There's a full discussion on Houndoom Mill in my link if you would like to look through it. Granted, some of the information is older, but it has stayed relatively the same (if anything, it has gotten better) as a whole. If you have any questions about the deck, you can PM me as well. It is one of my prides in discovery and discussion and so feel free to ask me anything about it!

-Asmer

elFacho

Aspiring Trainer
I know this is months old, but I was also wondering about it. Still, knowing that Bunnelby is rotating, I planned on making a comeback for it and here it is:
4 Houndoom EX

2 Charmander
1 Charmeleon
1 Charizard GX

2 Stufful
2 Bewear (Burning Shadows)

1 Victini (Guardians Rising)

2 Tapu Lele GX

15 Pokémon Cards.

3 N

3 Professor Sycamore

2 Guzma