Mega Manectric EX Variants

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on all Mega Manectric EX Variants. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Manectric/Rough Seas Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 10
  • 3 M Manectric EX
  • 3 Manectric EX
  • 2 Seismitoad EX
  • 2 Zapdos LTR
Trainers: 31
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 2 Colress
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Manectric Spirit Link
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 2 Switch
  • 1 Professor’s Letter
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 3 Rough Seas
Energy: 13
  • 5 Lightning Energy
  • 4 Water Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Open Spots: 6

Strategy:
The goal of this deck is to use M Manectric EX's Turbo Bolt attack to power up other attackers, such as Seismitoad EX (for Grenade Hammer), Zapdos, or other Manectrics. Rough Seas is a great way to heal your Pokemon. If 1 of your M Manectric EX's gets damaged, you can retreat to another one, and heal 30 damage from the benched Manectric every turn until it's fully healed. Seismitoad EX is always great to play in decks that can. Zapdos can take several hits from Donphan due to Rough Seas and its Fighting Resistance, all the while sniping them on the bench with Random Spark. This deck's main issue is its low damage cap, 150. It can struggle to take the last knock out. It also has trouble with barrages of non EX Pokemon, due to the somewhat high Energy costs of most of the Pokemon. But against the right deck, its constant healing can be a real pain.

Good Additions:
  • Mewtwo EX
  • Kyurem PLF
  • Black Kyurem PLF
  • Battle Compressor
  • Max Potion
  • Pokémon Center Lady

Manectric/Fighting Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 9
  • 3 Landorus EX
  • 2 M Manectric EX
  • 2 Manectric EX
  • 2 Hawlucha
Trainers: 32
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 3 Korrina
  • 1 Colress
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Switch
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Manectric Spirit Link
  • 1 Professor’s Letter
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 2 Fighting Stadium
Energy: 12
  • 5 Fighting Energy
  • 4 Strong Energy
  • 3 Lightning Energy
Open Spots: 7

Strategy:
The goal of this deck is to use M Manectric EX's Turbo Bolt attack to power up Landorus EX, then use Landorus EX's Land's Judgment attack and discard Energy to knock out Pokemon in one hit. Then you can use Turbo Bolt to get the Energy back onto Landorus EX. The deck has many more options besides that though. M Manectric EX does enough damage and has enough HP to handle itself for the whole game, especially against Yveltal EX. Landorus EX's Hammerhead and Hawlucha's Flying Press are also very strong attacks that provides early pressure. The deck can struggle to recover after discarding too much Energy, and is very weak to anti-EX cards, such as Head Ringer. But it's high HP Pokemon and potential early pressure can be very scary for a lot of decks.

Good Additions:
  • Landorus FFI
  • Terrakion NV
  • Thicker M Manectric EX Line
  • Battle Compressor
  • Max Potion

Last edited:

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
In VirGenTric I play a 2-2 M-Manectric EX line, 3 Genesect, and 3 Virizion. The deck is more like VirGen but with a tech Manectric. Plasma Energy are too good not to run in here.

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
I HAVE seen people try out Seismitoad-EX in the Yveltal builds, as an early game stall lock and a counter to Landorus-EX and Donphan.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
I have been considering teching in a 2-2 Manectric EX line into my Yveltal EX deck primarily as a counter to other Yveltal EX decks. Is this the same consideration for teching Manectric EX line into a VirGen deck too? Or might there be some other purpose in mind? Please comment/elaborate. Thanks.

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
TuxedoBlack said:
I have been considering teching in a 2-2 Manectric EX line into my Yveltal EX deck primarily as a counter to other Yveltal EX decks. Is this the same consideration for teching Manectric EX line into a VirGen deck too? Or might there be some other purpose in mind? Please comment/elaborate. Thanks.

In both decks M Manectric EX can be used to counter Yveltal EX decks, but the main purpose is to start with mega manectric to have another way of energy acceleration. But I think the main reason to play this card, in these decks, is to counter Pyroar.

AlexanderTheAwesome

Go! Chandelure!
I've completely built a deck around using a 4-4 mega Manectric and I have to say it does pretty well, the strategy is to use Turbo Bolt to power up other M Mancectric and various other attackers
I run 2 Zekroms and Seismatoad to counter Landorus EX (which isn't really played much anymore).

I think it's going to have a pretty big impact on the format for #1 being able to be splashed into a bunch of deck and being a high HP hard hitting Evolution, and #2 being able to recover energies from the discard in deck that would have no other way to.

also everyone buy your Manectrics now they're only like twelve bucks.... for now....

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
Believe it or not, I have had some moderate proxy success with Virizion/Genesect/M Manectric, though I run a 2-2 line of Heliolisk to work as a late-game finisher, and a Pyroar and Safeguard counter. I know the deck can toss away those issues with G Booster, but as long as Garbodor exists, I think Heliolisk is a better option. The 2-2 line is otherwise too big for any other deck that doesn't struggle with Pyroar/Safeguard. For any other M. Manectric build, a 1-1 line is the best route.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
AlexanderTheAwesome said:
I've completely built a deck around using a 4-4 mega Manectric and I have to say it does pretty well, the strategy is to use Turbo Bolt to power up other M Mancectric and various other attackers
I run 2 Zekroms and Seismatoad to counter Landorus EX (which isn't really played much anymore).
Interesting... Given recent defending Pokémon ruling developments, I'm finding that Landorus EX is getting "more" play.

I really like Lando's chances against Manectric even if running Seismitoad. Donphan is more of an issue, IMO.

AlexanderTheAwesome

Go! Chandelure!
TuxedoBlack said:
Interesting... Given recent defending Pokémon ruling developments, I'm finding that Landorus EX is getting "more" play.

I really like Lando's chances against Manectric even if running Seismitoad. Donphan is more of an issue, IMO.

Head ringer and Enhanced hammer is what kills Lando when playing Seismatoad. Donphan is pretty even believe it or not because youcan KO any wall they go into and (using toad again) shut off items, which really puts a hurt on Donphan with no Float Stones.

Mr.Muffin

Cooler than Everyone who is less Cool than Me!
M Manetric EX is a great card, but it isn't good enough to have a whole archetype. 2-2 is the most I can justify for any deck.

Mora

Don't Panic
Gengar master said:
TuxedoBlack said:

In both decks M Manectric EX can be used to counter Yveltal EX decks, but the main purpose is to start with mega manectric to have another way of energy acceleration. But I think the main reason to play this card, in these decks, is to counter Pyroar.

Actually in the Virizion / Genesect list, Manectric is more for Energy recovery after you've used G Booster a couple of times / things have been KO'd and a majority of your Energy in in the discard. It's more of a late game attacker. Hitting Yveltal hard and getting around Pyroar is just icing on the cake in my opinion.

Although now that I look back at the list, it does look like it's more Manectric focused...

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
I prefer this deck with a heavy Manectric focus (if you couldn't tell by the OP). The card is just incredible, in my opinion. It's bulky, accelerates your other attackers, does lots of damage, and doesn't need many Energy to attack. Haven't tested the Yveltal version much, but I like the Vir/Gen version a lot. I usually use all 3 attackers about equally, and all for different situations. Genesect is really only helpful against Seismitoad, and when it's using G Booster. If you have a Manectric (Mega or non Mega) powered up, it's gonna be better to use that most of the time.

A card I love in this deck is Max Potion. If you have 2 M Manectrics powered up (which isn't that hard with a 3-3 line and 3 Spirit Link), and 1 gets damaged, you can heal it with Max Potion, then power it up with the other M Manectric. This also works if a Genesect or Virizion gets damaged. Haven't tried Plasma Energy yet, but I think the deck is fine with a simple prize trade, which will be slowed down on your opponent's side by your 210 HP M Manectrics and Max Potions, and occasionally making big plays with Lysandre.

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
Do you guys think Escape Rope is good in the VirGen version? It would be good to use if your opponent has a Sigilyph up. That would be a way of dealing with it, if you played your supporter. This is also handy to use a Skyla to grab an escape rope to get the opposing Sigilyph out of their active spot that same turn, compared to waiting to next turn after getting Lysandre from your Skyla.

One escape rope would be a pretty nice fit in this deck. You can also use a Mega Manectric EX on the bench to free retreat back into the attacker.

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
Machamp The Champion said:
I prefer this deck with a heavy Manectric focus (if you couldn't tell by the OP). The card is just incredible, in my opinion. It's bulky, accelerates your other attackers, does lots of damage, and doesn't need many Energy to attack. Haven't tested the Yveltal version much, but I like the Vir/Gen version a lot. I usually use all 3 attackers about equally, and all for different situations. Genesect is really only helpful against Seismitoad, and when it's using G Booster. If you have a Manectric (Mega or non Mega) powered up, it's gonna be better to use that most of the time.

A card I love in this deck is Max Potion. If you have 2 M Manectrics powered up (which isn't that hard with a 3-3 line and 3 Spirit Link), and 1 gets damaged, you can heal it with Max Potion, then power it up with the other M Manectric. This also works if a Genesect or Virizion gets damaged. Haven't tried Plasma Energy yet, but I think the deck is fine with a simple prize trade, which will be slowed down on your opponent's side by your 210 HP M Manectrics and Max Potions, and occasionally making big plays with Lysandre.

The thing that steers me away from a heavy Manectric line is Fighting and Donphan. VirGen already struggles against Fighting...

michachu

Aspiring Trainer
Approximately what percent of people in tournaments are playing fighting decks? How much of a loss potential would you be facing if you went in with a heavy manectric deck?

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer
Fighting is still probably going to be a thing. Though its probably going to only be Landorus EX/Donphan focused. Mewtwo and Lucario are probably going to die down with all the new psychic type attackers floating around. Especially if night march becomes popular.

Either way i plan to work in Manectric into my VirGen deck. I have about 1/6 chance to end up playing against pyroar. So my deck currently runs Abomasnow and plasma frigate to help me deal with the fire types. So removing Abomasnow for M Manectric is pretty simple, though squeezing in tool retrieval and spirit links seems difficult. I also wonder if its worth putting anything in for sigilyph/suicune. Or just plan to G booster them, since energy recovery is pretty simple.

The energy scheme is also some what of a concern, maybe 4 plasma, 7 grass, 3 electric. Idk genesect requiring 2 grass is a pretty huge deal since the virizion ex also needs 1. Thats 3 out of the 7 in the deck for just 1. I guess it will just need to be played smartly.

I also wonder if 1 Deoxys is still going to be needed. M Manectric is going to be a huge pain to VirGen decks as well. So with 1 of Deoxys and a G-Booster can OHKO to prevent Max potion shenanigans.

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
Ivy_Profen said:
I also wonder if 1 Deoxys is still going to be needed. M Manectric is going to be a huge pain to VirGen decks as well. So with 1 of Deoxys and a G-Booster can OHKO to prevent Max potion shenanigans.

Deoxys EX also really can help against Donphan, Kyurem, Yveltal (and any other 130 HP Pokemon). Megalo Cannon + Muscle Band + Power Connect = 130.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
TuxedoBlack said:

Head ringer and Enhanced hammer is what kills Lando when playing Seismatoad. Donphan is pretty even believe it or not because youcan KO any wall they go into and (using toad again) shut off items, which really puts a hurt on Donphan with no Float Stones.
Not so much... I run Xerosic (and a few other techs to keep my Landos "healthy") to handle the Ringers and typically start with just F energy unless I can clearly 1HKO a Manectric EXs with a Strong energy.

michachu said:
Approximately what percent of people in tournaments are playing fighting decks? How much of a loss potential would you be facing if you went in with a heavy manectric deck?
In my area, Donphan is still considered a Tier 1 deck and is expected to be well represented at the upcoming Winter Regional tournament. This is due in part to past recent results and the PhF set has done nothing to discourage running Donphan; secondly, great auxiliary cards like Strong energy and Fighting Stadium still make F decks viable and competitive; and these decks are relatively inexpensive (assuming one had many of the core Poké cards before the last Regional - lol).

Although "big" fighting decks has lost some popularity, IMO, Landorus EX will still be played, not only because of the aforementioned auxiliary cards, but it is still a formidable attacker. So, some players may just tech 1-2 Landos into their decks just to counter expected Manectric EXs.

Bottom line: I still expect that 10-15%+ of the field will be running F Poké in decks at major, upcoming tournaments like Cities and Regionals. Also, I estimate the "heavy" Manectric EX deck loss potential to be 65-35, IMO.

José Barbosa

Aspiring Trainer
Focus in M manectric sounds very good. If you can set two or more m manectric, you can spam maxpotions like a fairy deck.
210 hp is low to a mega, if you lose your turn, but you don't lose the turn with spirit link.

You can run mewtwo and seismitoad, or maybe beartic, to confront landouros and lucarios, your weakness. And with one M Manectrick's atack you energize mewtwo/seismitoad/beartic very fast.

I like the idea of use pachirisu in this deck, it make everyone weak to manectric. Maybe you'll give one prize to your opponent, but if him don't retreat his Pokémon you can hit 220(or 260 with muscle), and take 2 prizes.

So focus on M Manctric is pretty good, IMO.