Fakemon Mars & Venus - The Yfror Region

Mitja

veteran smartass
yfror_map_by_saiph_charon-d7my6c6.png
R4cTwX0.png

This is my latest attempt at a Fakémon project, with a region, a story and of course a fakédex (will include fakémon and Yfror variants of existing Pokémon).

Summary / Progress

The region is inspired by Iceland and its rough desolate landscapes.

yfror_map_by_saiph_charon-dbjbw08.png

It has a big cold snow-covered mountain (covers several routes and locations, and it's even where the E4-equivalent is when you access it from the south), which is of course one reason why I went for that Shinx Variant. But it also has a volcano, a big geyser field, a long glacier you basically slide/climb down on, and the usual things like a big lake, connecting caves, forests, bridges going over valleys and rivers... Think Sinnoh but more rough, dangerous, and less populated (there is hardly any actual cities, mostly settlements and resting posts).

And the noteworthy part about it is that instead of gyms there is 6 type-themed lighthouses. You obtain a special lighthouse-challenge key item at the beginning. And then you have to climb each lighthouse (which is basically like gyms, but way longer puzzles and special wild Pokémon rather than trainers, making them more akin to dungeons), solve it to light it up, then hold your challenge thing into the light so it leaves a mark.. of course you can enter the "E4" once your items has "lightprints" of each lighthouse. And as the lighthouses are located all around the edges of the region, you have to travel pretty much everywhere as usual.

Also, as implied with the smaller towns, there would be a theme of raw nature and isolation, as there aren't that many humans living there. Random trainer battles are almost nonexistent, and basically replaced by special wild Pokémon battles. In that most areas have a handful of "boss" pokemon that you can battle (and re-battle at some point), who basically send a team (~1-3) of regular Pokémon to battle you and only then fight you themselves etc..

I had the idea that most of the dialogue you read is from Guide-Posts or things other adventurers have written down at special Rest-stops, rather than from actually talking with other NPCs. (And then there'd be some twists like later finding out one of the big trainers at the end is one you read notes from etc.)

This adventure is not undertaken by 10 year olds. The locals and main figures suggest that trainers have had 5 years adventure experience from travelling in another region before going out alone in Yfror (even local young upcoming trainers usually travel to some other region instead of starting here).

On the legendary scope, it is in a way a continuation of the cosmic legendary theme of Sun&Moon.

yfror_legends___marsaster_and_venusopire_by_saiph_charon-dblqyn4.png

The legends of Yfror speak of the end of the world. Not the world we know, but a world like it was before, during a so-called golden age, when the original light was shining fixed in a warm and peaceful sky.

At some time the sky began to fall apart. The original light was attacked by its relative (differing by version), which grew ever stronger and more threatening, engulfing half the sky in a bright display of energy (picture the version symbols).

On the horizon below it, the legendary appeared to signal the end. As the manifestation in the sky came in contact with the earth, it literally took it apart in a thunderous way of unimaginable proportions.

The original light was chased from the sky and has never returned. That was the end of the golden age and the beginning of a chaotic order to which life had to adapt from scratch.

(of course in a third version, it would turn out that the 2 legendaries are actually representing 2 aspects of one event, with Mars being the destroyer of the earth and Venus the extinguisher of the primal sun...which of course will also have a legendary to represent it.)

Current version of the starters:

starters_by_saiph_charon-dbr2nro.png

The interesting thing about Yfrors fauna, is that due to the region being so isolated from the rest of the world, combined with its harsher climate and environment, any previously known Pokémon that appear in it, are quite different than their regular counterparts. These are naturally called Yfror forms. One example are Shinx, who have adapted to the colds of the main Yfror mountainrange, becoming more vicious and wild in the process, gaining the Dark type that otherwise wouldn't really fit Luxrays normal good-hearted nature:
yfror_shinx_family_by_saiph_charon-dbkqwli.png

Any thoughts? Ideas? Questions?

I'll make posts and keep this one updated as I make progress with the project.

Last edited:
You could make the starters have the type of the opposing starter. Grass/Fire, Fire/Water, Water/Grass.

1.The grass one could be based off of a tiger. It runs around at blinding speeds, and can start forest fires.
2.The Fire one can be a fire bellied toad that uses flames as a sort of mating call.
3.The water one could be based off a Swan, and have some vines and stuff on it to look like clothes.

I'd personally love to see no fire/grass/water starters. Something GameFreak just don't wanna do.

Think outside the box :)

I have my starters pretty much set now, with close to final designs for the final stages (cause if I can't make final ones that I like then why bother designing the first stages xD)

They're going to be a bipedal bighorn goat for Grass, a triceratops for Fire and an eel for Water.
Might still take a while as I want to finish the lower stages first and do the digital part in proper order :p

I never thought I could come up with a design based loosely on an eel that I would actually like as a starter xD

aschefield101 said:
I'd personally love to see no fire/grass/water starters. Something GameFreak just don't wanna do.

Think outside the box :)

Been thinking about that many times, but I never come up with a plan to actually go through with it...

And the official starter trio is just so nicely diverse already. And it's basic elements that can be added to pretty much any monster, and that are double obvious to spot (from design details and with cliche coloration), whereas something like Psychic even with a pink/purple shade won't be as obvious.

Maybe some time when I get tired of the concept, but for now I'm sticking to it. And it's not like I can't make a trio of regular pokemon with any group of types somewhere in the middle of the dex if I get an awesome idea ;D

Finally done with the initial stages of the starters!

yfror_starters_by_saiph_charon-d7tt2wa.png

Took me this long because I was developing the whole evolutionary line concepts (so I don't start with something just to give up later), and making them simultaneously.

Their evolutions might take a while too, as I focused more on making sure the final ones will look good enough.

I really like the starters (especially Heatops!), although they might be a little more simple than most starters are concerned. I think this could be partly remedied by adding some different colors to the starters themselves -- if you take a look at official starters, most usually feature another color besides the one represented by their primary type. Wiggeel seems to be the biggest offender; if you look at Squirtle, there's some brown/tan, Totodile has red/tan, Mudkip orange, Piplup yellow, Oshawott orange/tan, and Froakie has yellow accents. The problem is finding a suitable place to put the color, as I don't really see where you could without changing/adding to the design.

Then again, I'm not sure where you're going with the finalized lines, so take what I say with a grain of salt!

CMP said:
I really like the starters (especially Heatops!), although they might be a little more simple than most starters are concerned. I think this could be partly remedied by adding some different colors to the starters themselves -- if you take a look at official starters, most usually feature another color besides the one represented by their primary type. Wiggeel seems to be the biggest offender; if you look at Squirtle, there's some brown/tan, Totodile has red/tan, Mudkip orange, Piplup yellow, Oshawott orange/tan, and Froakie has yellow accents. The problem is finding a suitable place to put the color, as I don't really see where you could without changing/adding to the design.

Then again, I'm not sure where you're going with the finalized lines, so take what I say with a grain of salt!

Thanks for the reply!

I've changed their colors a hundred times the past 4 days trying to get the right combinations xD

While Heatops' color I've only thought of yellow/orange/red and more pale and brown tones as valid options, I went with a generic orange in the end, because red is too strong while the others aren't Fire-cliche enough.
So the real variable there was the color of the plates around its head. The initial idea was for them to be grey (or rather that's where they're headed later either way), but as the basic stage not colorful enough. a particular tone of brown fits it nicely, but only if it was some regular fossil-line. And I also realized I don't want it to get too close to look like a fossil instead of a proper fire starter, so that part ended up red xD
... similar stories with the other 2.

I really wanted to sneak some yellow in on one of them and that should do the job...but I don't want to overdesign them either, so I decided to leave them simple and obvious as that (think Chikorita, Torchic.. they don't all have a complex detail like Squirtles shell either)

Both Heatops and Herbaah could get a different colored belly added, but I was resisting that thought from the beginning for some reason lol.

I might try adding some stylistic red detail to Herbaah and revert Heatops crest to something more brown/grey, but I think it'll just look forced.

EDIT: made some changes. better or worse? xD

yfror_starters_by_saiph_charon-d7tt2wa.png

Hi, nice project so far! I'm interested in your region's layout; did you use a tutorial/xy map kit or something to make it? I'm sort of searching for one o3o

Also, nice set of starters! I'm interested on how they progress, especially on the grass starter (I like grass-type mammals like Gogoat and Simisage in terms of design). And you got that sugimori-style down, which is a plus.

Like what CMP says, don't be afraid to shy away from detail---Squirtle's shell's details are just lines anyway. (at least compared to Tirtouga's)

Also, take this little rant with a grain of salt:
>"none of that walking dolphin crap either"
>makes a legged eel

pffft

I know there exists a legged eel IRL, but even they can't do crawling/walking and shit. :) Double standard IMO.

Ciao~!

Magistrum said:
Hi, nice project so far! I'm interested in your region's layout; did you use a tutorial/xy map kit or something to make it? I'm sort of searching for one o3o

I've copied official ingame region maps all the way up to gen 5.

This time I said, "fck it, I'll just do it like I feel doing it". I think I got ideas for making use of particular PS tools from random tutorials, but I have no idea which or where I found them.

Magistrum said:
Also, nice set of starters! I'm interested on how they progress, especially on the grass starter (I like grass-type mammals like Gogoat and Simisage in terms of design). And you got that sugimori-style down, which is a plus.

Like what CMP says, don't be afraid to shy away from detail---Squirtle's shell's details are just lines anyway. (at least compared to Tirtouga's)

It's only after Chespin that I feel comfortable making a mammal Grass starter xD

I'm already proud of their final stages on paper, what worries me are the middle ones, as they need to feel distinct and not just bigger/smaller version of the other 2 stages

Magistrum said:
>makes a legged eel

pffft

I know there exists a legged eel IRL, but even they can't do crawling/walking and shit. :) Double standard IMO.

Ciao~!

XD

it's not about the legs per se (although it won't keep those for long anyway lol), what I meant is when you just take some 100% aquatic animal but force it to be land-dwelling for the sake of making a water starter.
and its not that "a walking dolphin" pokemon would be inherently awful (daybreakms delfini is neat), I merely feel that it has to be based on something that's amphibious to at least some degree, as a water starter. Walking dolphin is just the example Ive seen done many times over the years that didn't feel right to me (as a starter).

Mitja said:
Magistrum said:
>makes a legged eel

pffft

Ciao~!

XD

it's not about the legs per se (although it won't keep those for long anyway lol), what I meant is when you just take some 100% aquatic animal but force it to be land-dwelling for the sake of making a water starter.
and its not that "a walking dolphin" pokemon would be inherently awful (daybreakms delfini is neat), I merely feel that it has to be based on something that's amphibious to at least some degree, as a water starter. Walking dolphin is just the example Ive seen done many times over the years that didn't feel right to me (as a starter).

You've got my full support in that.

If I may suggest something, following what CMP said about the colors, I think you nailed heatops (perhaps the yellow in the eye could be a tad brighter and more saturated, but a duller color palette has its benefits) and wigeel looks good as well, but I feel herbaah could use a patch of dark green (or even white, since you're using it in the tail) on its head, the balance of colors seems to draw the eyes to its chest (or goatee, in which case, white is the color to go to).

Of course, I don't know what are your plans for their concept and evolutions, so take that with a grain of salt.
I know it's hard to make starters that don't look overdesigned, since they're usually basic, but I think you already have them.

professorlight said:
Mitja said:
XD

If I may suggest something, following what CMP said about the colors, I think you nailed heatops (perhaps the yellow in the eye could be a tad brighter and more saturated, but a duller color palette has its benefits) and wigeel looks good as well, but I feel herbaah could use a patch of dark green (or even white, since you're using it in the tail) on its head, the balance of colors seems to draw the eyes to its chest (or goatee, in which case, white is the color to go to).

Just tried to quickly smear white in Herbaahs face after reading that and I like what I see. It might look cuter too I think.

_001_herbaah_by_saiph_charon-d7tpjsz.png

Is this worse or an improvement?
I feel like I've just made it look alive with the smallest change ever, or am I imagining things? XD

Mitja said:
professorlight said:

Just tried to quickly smear white in Herbaahs face after reading that and I like what I see. It might look cuter too I think.

Is this worse or an improvement?
I feel like I've just made it look alive with the smallest change ever, or am I imagining things? XD

It's without a doubt much better, it also gives you more colors to play with down the (literal) line.

Does the white streak go down the back and to the tail?.

Be sure not to quote large images. Thanks! ~IA

I'm loving the changes you've made to each starter, Mitja -- especially the white on Herbaah's face (great suggestion, professorlight!). Choosing white over dark green was a great choice. The white draws your eye to the goatee and allows it to stand out; had you gone with dark green, the goatee might've been lost. I think the lighter color also adds an innocence to Herbaah which most starters seem to have. It's welcomed detail without seeming superfluous.

You picked a great color to use on Wiggeel, too. Its color palette blends in perfectly with the six official Water-type starters now. Comparing the new with the old, it's amazing how a simple color change can improve a design.

(Of course, I also enjoy Heatops' colored belly.)

Wiggeel evolved into Whiskeel!

_008_whiskeel_by_saiph_charon-d7upjvc.png

erpy derp :B

It's blander than Wiggeel again as I went back to a white-ish bottom-half, as I don't want too much similarity to Eelektrik, and I plan on it's final stage not to have yellow anywhere. Might get a flourescent turquoise hue though.

Wow, it's kind of depressing to realize that I haven't made a fakemon in 3 years.

Anyhow, here's Yfrofs regional variant of Shinx:
yfror_shinx_by_saiph_charon-dbke8gs.png

Last edited:
Make the grass starter learn Jump Kick or Triple Kick eventually! :D Grass types are usually walled by Steel types or easily KO'd by Ice types, and as a starter Pokemon it should have a one-up compared to similar stage 2 Pokémon of its type...so a decent Fighting move will make it useful! Well, at least I think so.

The fire starter looks like its final evolution could learn weight-based stuff like Heavy Slam or Heat Crash - the latter being an Emboar exclusive. Since it'll grow into a triceratops, letting it learn Megahorn or Horn Leech would also be cool. :)

Is the water starter going to have an electric eel-based final evolution? If so, attacks like Wild Charge or Volt Switch will give it an edge over a ton of other Water types. I think its final form would look best if it were to evolve into something that looks like a Dimetrodon/Edaphosaurus or even something like the badass Spinosaurus! :D If so, Water/Dark would be a better typing, thus Crunch and probably Ice Fang would be good for its moveset?

As for abilities, they all should have alternative abilities:
Grass starter - Fur Coat (if the final evo will be woolly) or Guts
Fire starter - Sturdy (too many Water or Ground-using strong attackers) or Iron Barbs (well, horns)
Water starter - Volt Absorb (if it'll be part-Electric) or Strong Jaws (if it'll look like a Spinosaurus)

:)

I'll get around to re-thinking the moves and everything for the starters at some point.
And yes, the Water starter will get Electric ;O

I finished Luxio today:

yfror_luxio_by_saiph_charon-dbkh7gp.png

Last edited:
Back