Discussion malamar idea

Knight_of_Ni

Aspiring Trainer
I was looking at the malamar list in this article http://www.pokebeach.com/2018/09/building-a-consistent-malamar and I got an idea. One of malamar's major problems is getting energy in the discard. Has anyone consitered playing Sophocles (discard 2 cards from your hand and draw 4 cards) instead of Lillie? The current list runs 4 Lillie, but I think changing it to 2 Sophocles and 2 Lillie or even 2 Sophocles and 2 Copycat might be a better combination. Does anybody else have any other ideas or is it best to keep it at 4 Lillie? Thanks in advance!

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
I mean the deck already has Ultra Ball, Mysterious Treasure, AND Acro Bike. The problem is getting to the energy to discard it, not having ways to discard.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Often discards come from your opponent knocking out your active with one or two energy on it as well as the items that discard energys sophocles is fairly weak in decks like malamar as allot of cards can be played down to maximize the draw of lillie where as sophocles could force you into situations where you have to discard more to draw less.im sure running one wouldnt be awful but that decklist got 2nd at a regional level for a reason

Knight_of_Ni

Aspiring Trainer
Thank you all for the input. I tested a couple games with Sophocles and I don't love it, but it might have potential. I'll probably go back to Lillie (for now).

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
I was looking at the malamar list in this article http://www.pokebeach.com/2018/09/building-a-consistent-malamar and I got an idea. One of malamar's major problems is getting energy in the discard. Has anyone consitered playing Sophocles (discard 2 cards from your hand and draw 4 cards) instead of Lillie? The current list runs 4 Lillie, but I think changing it to 2 Sophocles and 2 Lillie or even 2 Sophocles and 2 Copycat might be a better combination. Does anybody else have any other ideas or is it best to keep it at 4 Lillie? Thanks in advance!
Sightseer and TV Reporter!!!

Rizbizkit

Aspiring Trainer
Sightseer and TV Reporter!!!
Sightseer is definitely a good card(when it comes out) for decks that re-use energies from discard but I haven't had any problems discarding energies into discard.
The deck has multiple ways to discard cards already, I think the only problem would be whiffing energies when you need them in hand. But then again, that could be said for every other deck too. :)

Kashvinder Mann

Aspiring Trainer
I've tested Sophocles and for me it doesn't really help much since you'll likely have 3 outs of discarding cards already. And using Sophocles with no energy in hand is the worst. :(

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
I've tested Sophocles and for me it doesn't really help much since you'll likely have 3 outs of discarding cards already. And using Sophocles with no energy in hand is the worst. :(
I know several players who say Sightseer should be the new substitute for Sophocles. It's good like Lillie but you can discard anything you don't need.

Last edited:

Kashvinder Mann

Aspiring Trainer
Sightseer you meant? If so I agree, that card is amazing especially for Malamar styled decks. When I was in Japan, most of their players there were already playing it. And it's quite highly prized already there. :p