Major 'Pokemon Switch' Rumors Today -- A Breakdown and Analysis!

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Well, WPM, I'm officially surprised.
When you gave us Ultra Prism, you made every Dragon type weak to Dairy.
When you gave us Dragon Storm, Seadra evolved from My Baby.
When you gave us Forbidden Light, Meowstic evolved from Creepycatfromheck.
In this lengthy article, there is not the slightest hint to a joke.
Congratulations!
Yes, sincerely.

Of the rumors:
I don't have a switch, have almost no intention of getting one, and do not plan on playing a game based entirely upon Pikachu.
If it has Goomy, then that's a different story.

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
I'm so hoping that this is incorrect. I wouldn't mind a new region, and I would absolutely love a Gen IV remake. But we really don't need another Kanto remake.

That and having the catching mechanics of Pokemon Go and integration with the mobile game which is several generations behind would be awful.

Although, we could see this game as a Spin-off game and not a main core game, which would make sense because of it's name. If it is a spin-off game, then hopefully the core game(s) are announced at the same time.

But even then, this might end up being the first Pokemon game that I'm not interested in getting.

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
I really hope the Eevee account being promoted and Eevee featuring heavily in the new movie is hinting at one of more Eeveelutions. Since the movie features lots of flying types, maybe a flying type Eeveelution... That would be great!

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
Pokemon GO style of way of Catching is the most idiotic idea that I ever seen. I hate a Pokémon game that you need skill on doing this like Fishing. I hate that they nerf the way we fish Pokémon since Gen 3. I don't think they'll bring that thing on that core game. Better buy 100 Poke Balls to catch a frikin Caterpie because people who don't have skill on an accurate aiming thing like PoGo will waste their time.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
And also, I want 900, if not 800 Pokémon in the game. 300-500 for Regional dex, the rest is for the DexNav stuff.

paulyd84

cooltrainerpaul
I always just drew circles around the bottom screen
Tsk... Couldn't do that back in our day whippersnapper you only had a or b and up down left or right!

As for these rumours I think be awful. I mentioned yesterday the Kanto in future rumours seem much more interesting and coincide nicely with the Kanto obsession at Pokemon and I think be a lot of fun. A colleseum mini adventure is Def what we are gonna get this year without doubt but please god no Pokemon go catching - or at least make it an option that we can just not use like the tripe assortment of motion controls of on switch. Give it up Nintendo motion/touch control no one cares!!

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Look alive, Pokébeach. Change is good. You liked Zelda. You liked Odyssey. You'll like this.
Change is good to some extent, but if it's too drastic a change then people will lash out. Pokemon GO's catch mechanics should stay in GO (even more so if they keep the flee mechanics for catching Pokemon).

And while Breath of the Wild's changes were largely met with positive feedback, I wouldn't call Odyssey a big change in gameplay style. Barring the capture mechanic it basically brought Mario back to the gameplay style we saw in 64 and Sunshine.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
back to the gameplay style we saw in 64 and Sunshine.

Never played those games. I meant relative to the previous ten-ish mario titles released for main and handheld Nintendo consoles, several of which were 2D.

Change is good to some extent, but if it's too drastic a change then people will lash out.

And staying the same is as if not more dangerous to the longevity of a series whose graphics are only just reaching the same quality as Steam titles with independent developers... to say nothing of no gameplay changes since Generation 4, and no revolutionary gameplay and changes ever, cosmetically or mechanically.

Pokemon GO's catch mechanics should stay in GO (even more so if they keep the flee mechanics for catching Pokemon).

I disagree. There is no better way to implement gameplay changes without alienating the growing competitive scene. Leave VS battles as they are. Change ONLY wild encounters to more of a luring/trapping/strategy game, with sprites appearing on the map, forcing players to sneak up on certain encounters, fleeing Pokémon can be encountered again if you're fast enough, the use of special items to lure certain Pokémon in certain areas... there is space for enormous mechanical depth there, assuming they adopt and adapt various Pokénav features, and don't deadlift the system from Pokémon GO. It wouldn't be touch-screen only since it would have to work in the dock, too. I sincerely hope they do this.

Disclaimer: I don't like Pokémon GO‚ at all. It's almost as annoying as when people write changes off without considering them fully.

Green778

It's always darkest before the dawn...
The Masuda twitter picture basically confirms the rumors. Masuda, aware of them, is either trolling or they are real. But, in all honesty, why can't GF create a franchise that becomes a new flagship instead of trying to promote other games like Go? What I mean is, that Switch's catchphrase is "Gaming Freedom" and Zelda BotW and SMOdyssey did exactly that. They were open world, giving you the option to play just as you'd like.

By giving the fans the same region five times it basically ruins the whole "Exploration" theme. The pokemon are already known, the region is known and the story is the same (it's a remake) and they are building on nostalgia. IMHO the Switch needed a new region with Open World Capabilities (Play any Gym any time) with the pokemon following you, with graphics like BotW and that is challenging for new and older fans (include a BF for example!)

But, sitting on a golden goose can't be left unexploited. And a game can't please everyone.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
IMHO the Switch needed a new region with Open World Capabilities (Play any Gym any time) with the pokemon following you, with graphics like BotW and that is challenging for new and older fans (include a BF for example!)

I would guess most fans, especially long-time fans, would be disappointed if this doesn't happen. I know I would (I'd settle for an old region though tbh)

Green778

It's always darkest before the dawn...
I would guess most fans, especially long-time fans, would be disappointed if this doesn't happen. I know I would (I'd settle for an old region though tbh)
The thing is a misconception on GF part. Nostalgia (Pokemon GO having the original 151 Pokemon, Alola having Kanto-Forms and now this Kanto Remake...) is not what (all) old fans want. Treating fans as now adults with a challenging game should be the way. BW2 had a "Hard" mode. Isn't it better to have this setting by default?

But let's be honest. GF 9/10 disappoints but still succeeds with strong sales so as long as profit is high, things won't change. FE:Awakening changed the formula because of a "Last Resort" attempt to boost the sales. Pokemon doesn't necessarily need to do that. Thus, GF won't reveal their Aces in the Hole yet, keeping them for a future crisis.

Skyleaf2000

Resident UB Enthusiast
Please no... No more Gen 1 remakes at least for another couple years, please....
Gen 8 or Sinnoh remakes first. I beg of you, Game Freak...

Unless this is a spinoff game. Then I'd be...more okay with it.