Major 'Pokemon Switch' Rumors Today -- A Breakdown and Analysis!

fleshrum

Cephalophore
Keep in mind that the cp isnt a separate stat like speed, atk, speed, etc, it's just for pogo players to have an easier time understanding how the stats and leveling in the main series corresponds to pogo stats.

Oh, here we go. :/

How do you know that?

Max and min CP of a species is dependent on IVs in GO. There are only three IVs in GO. Is CP dependent on IVs in the new game? Will the CP of my perfect Blastoise in GO become less in this new game when I import it? If not, will it gain SpA, SpD, and Spd IVs? Will those IVs be perfect, random, or decided by something else? In GO, CP is adjustable using candy but is not the same as LVL. Are there candies in this game? Does CP go up when a Pokémon levels up? By how much? Is Combat Power influenced by EVs? Is it only a measure of potential? If so, will the stat wheel have an IV check mode?

Since you can definitively say "it is not a separate stat," please definitively answer these questions. Thanks.

As for this being marketed directly at a newer, younger audience... fine, but even IF that is true, snubbing the older fans by abandoning content is not a sustainable marketing strategy--not to mention how ##### infuriating it would be. Vestigial GO elements to increase immersion are welcome. The insultingly over-simplified battle and stat system is not. Today's information dump worries me. I am a big proponent of this game as nostalgic side content, and as gateway side content, but a glorified phone app will have no place in my game library.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
The Go stuff was not a good idea and should be optional but if anything the bigger issue is that this is Kanto yet again and unlike ORAS there's a restriction to the original 'dex which leaves a lot of incomplete evolutionary lines. This is something I'd have a problem with regardless of the format of the game.

Hey, yeah! This is a really good point. Why aren't they adding completed lines from Pokémon that debuted in G1 at the very least? (Tangrowth etc.)

Andrew Penvose

Aspiring Trainer
So, this may be a dumb question, but the "special pokemon" shown in the trailer in what seems to have been Pokemon Go, is that Mew? It doesn't make sense that you would get the pokemon in Go if Mew is given in the new Pokeball Plus, right?

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist

How do you know that?

Max and min CP of a species is dependent on IVs in GO. There are only three IVs in GO. Is CP dependent on IVs in the new game? Will the CP of my perfect Blastoise in GO become less in this new game when I import it? If not, will it gain SpA, SpD, and Spd IVs? Will those IVs be perfect, random, or decided by something else? In GO, CP is adjustable using candy but is not the same as LVL. Are there candies in this game? Does CP go up when a Pokémon levels up? By how much? Is Combat Power influenced by EVs? Is it only a measure of potential? If so, will the stat wheel have an IV check mode?

Since you can definitively say "it is not a separate stat," please definitively answer these questions. Thanks.

As for this being marketed directly at a newer, younger audience... fine, but even IF that is true, snubbing the older fans by abandoning content is not a sustainable marketing strategy--not to mention how ##### infuriating it would be. Vestigial GO elements to increase immersion are welcome. The insultingly over-simplified battle and stat system is not. Today's information dump worries me. I am a big proponent of this game as nostalgic side content, and as gateway side content, but a glorified phone app will have no place in my game library.

Honestly, there is a lot of conjecture as to how stats will work so there's not a whole lot of point worrying about it until we have more details. That being said, they could easily just use the current CP calculation (https://www.serebii.net/pokemongo/combatpoints.shtml) and ignore the stats not represented in GO, which would mean they would likely generate random IVs for those stats in Let's GO. That wouldn't be too off base given IVs are randomly calculated in a similar fashion when you migrate a pokémon from a Virtual Console game to Bank. The IVs you have in Yellow are not identical to what they will be when that pokémon is moved to a Gen VII game. Just as easily it could recalculate CP after migration once the pokémon is sent up to incorporate the stats not in GO. Given that you have to recapture your pokémon in GO park, that also doesn't seem too far off-base.

Either way, if it turns out the pokémon is better in GO, and you don't want them weakened by being sent to Let's GO, then don't transfer that particular guy. Since Let's GO is based on Yellow, there's no reason to think that pokémon like Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres won't be where they are normally found in Kanto. As far as I can tell the only real reason to send pokémon from GO to Let's GO would be for version exclusives you can't get in your game, but have in GO (so you don't HAVE to find someone with the opposite version to trade) or to get the Alolan formes. If Let's GO ever becomes compatible with some Switch version of Bank, then yea, maybe then transferring becomes more relevant... but core games have Bottle Caps to fix stats... so although potentially having three stats randomly generate low is a bummer it's certainly not a deal breaker if you really want to raise that pokémon in a core game. For all we know Let's GO has Bottle Caps. All this freaking out, not just by you but a lot of people, just seems pretty unwarrented given we know little about these side games. I remember when people got similarly upset that Ranger mechanics would affect the core games. :p

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist
So, this may be a dumb question, but the "special pokemon" shown in the trailer in what seems to have been Pokemon Go, is that Mew? It doesn't make sense that you would get the pokemon in Go if Mew is given in the new Pokeball Plus, right?

Mew is a special pokémon in Let's GO and you can't send it to go. The "special pokémon" from the first trailer was sent to GO, so it has to be something else.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Ugh, I can't decide whether I want to buy this game or not.

On one hand, $80 is a lot of money for a spin-off game that I'm not going to be totally satisfied with given the limitations of the game (only the first 151, casual-ifications, etc.).

On the other hand, I literally only bought a Switch and started playing PoGO so that I could play the 2018 Pokemon game (which I thought was going to be Gen 8) because I will probably be too busy with an internship in mid/late 2019 to play the real Gen 8 game. :(

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.

It was confirmed that the "special Pokemon" will be a brand new Pokemon; likely the first Gen 8 Pokemon to be revealed (unless the upcoming Pokemon movie reveals it first, and I have a high suspicion that it will -- and I'm also speculating it will be a new Eeveeloution, but who knows).

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Waiting and seeing sounds like a good approach! I can say, though, that a Switch is very much worth the purchase. There are already a lot of great games on it, and looking at E3, there will be plently more great games in the future. Plus Gen 8 will come out next year.

For me, the only thing I care about from Nintendo is Pokemon. I don't care about Mario or Zelda or the ink kid game or any of the other games they have. The only game I care about is this new Pokemon game and Pokken Tournament - and that is because of Decidueye. For me right me right me, Pidgeot is the only reason I want to get the new game but seeing this game so are, I don't even know if I'll be getting it.

You absolutely do not need to make micro-transactions to progress in Pokemon Go. You can get coins for free from gyms. Hell, you don't even need coins to play the game.

You get 100 coins a day like that, assuming you live in an area where you have access to gyms, which I don't. Yes I know I don't have to buy them but it is the only way to get them in bulk but since a premium game is being integrated with a freemium mobile game, I worry about what features were dropped and added to sell Poke Coins and Raid Passes. The fact you get Poke Balls from fighting trainers worry me.

Last edited:

The Last Shaymin

Floof
For me, the only thing I care about from Nintendo is Pokemon. I don't care about Mario or Zelda or the ink kid game or any of the other games they have. The only game I care about is this new Pokemon game and Pokken Tournament - and that is because of Decidueye. For me right me right me, Pidgeot is the only reason I want to get the new game but seeing this game so are, I don't even know if I'll be getting it.

You get 100 coins a day like that, assuming you live in an area where you have access to gyms, which I don't. Yes I know I don't have to buy them but it is the only way to get them in bulk but since a premium game is being integrated with a freemium mobile game, I worry about what features were dropped and added to sell Poke Coins and Raid Passes. The fact you get Poke Balls from fighting trainers worry me.
n... no splatoon?

KazamEsper

Aspiring Trainer
didn't you read it?

he says that go throwing is finicky.

throwing a pokeball in real life, you just chuck it at the pokemon. here its saying you are "throwing an eraser with your wrist"
A pokeball is hollow, and not as heavy as a baseball, more like a whiffle ball. Throw it too hard it goes too far, too soft; the ball will fall short. The anime makes it look perfect every time, but that's not how it would go in real life, IMO. It would be a little harder. But this is my take on things. Ive been playing pokemon go for 3 years. And who says it must be your index finger on the plastic switch. I'd try the middle or either, till i am comfortable. This is my opinion.

The Last Shaymin

Floof
A pokeball is hollow, and not as heavy as a baseball, more like a whiffle ball. Throw it too hard it goes too far, too soft; the ball will fall short. The anime makes it look perfect every time, but that's not how it would go in real life, IMO. It would be a little harder. But this is my take on things. Ive been playing pokemon go for 3 years. And who says it must be your index finger on the plastic switch. I'd try the middle or either, till i am comfortable. This is my opinion.
yeah, but if you just chuck it at the pokemon

AT THE POKMEMON

like a baseball pitcher...

they are aiming in a certain place

chuck it

how do you know pokeballs are not heavy?

Ive been playing pokemon go for 3 years.

pokemon g0 has only been out for 2 years or so...

Last edited:

fleshrum

Cephalophore
All this freaking out

I've been arguing since this game was rumoured that GO integration and certain GO mechanics are a welcome addition to a stale series. I am fervently against arguing conjecture and then complaining about the imagined conclusion. The questions in that post are rhetorical and directed at the person I quoted. I don't play Pokémon GO.

That GO mechanics will play a major part in the game is no longer conjecture. The changes we know now (barely functional peripherals, mandatory motion controls, the addition of Combat Points) and the possible changes that follow from those (changes to the EV/IV system) will affect my decision on whether this game is worth purchasing or not, and I'm not alone there. So these elements are worth discussion, at the very least.

I am excited for a game that takes the best parts of GO. I'm excited for a game that reminds me of my childhood, I'm excited for a game I can play alongside younger members of my family. I am not excited for GO 2.0. I will not pay full price for a cell phone application.

Sharkrai

Aspiring Trainer

How do you know that?

I'm just basing my conclusion off of facts I have seen. For instance, serebii has a picture of the stats screen from the treehouse presentation. It shows the 6 ivs from previous games. They had a quick candy, used it, it raised the speed stat like an iron or protein would their respective iv, which I assume is reminiscent of evs ti reach pogo players how that works. The iv is a hidden stat in pogo, and last I remember when I played like a year ago at worlds for kanghaskan, i read about how the appraisal system can help you determine whether the iv stat is perfect or not. Watching the gameplay from treehouse as well, you could see the cp go up as the pokemon's level went up or they used a candy. Imo, it's reasonable to say that it is an overall stat to help pogo players understand ev and iv, as well as leveling, considering all the footage showed that the cp is affected by those things. As hardcore players, the competitive scene with ivs and evs is nothing new, so removing the cp wouldnt be an issue, but for pogo players, if that cp weren't there, they would have a harder time understanding what it means to raise ev or iv, meaning they are less likely to get into the 2019 game as well.

So to answer your questions, no there is 6 ivs. Yes, cp appears to be iv dependent on these games as well. It would stand to reason, based on the transfer footage they showcased, that co wouldnt change, it would just affect what ivs, lvl, etc are bestowed to the pokemon upon transfer. Yes they do gain those ivs. The way the new ivs will be decided cannot be determined because the games aren't out yet, so we can't evaluate that aspect, unless the developers reveal it, which iirc has never happened because even pogo never had a specific calculation sequence revealed for what iv values are, just the appraisal system.

A quick pause in answering questions, I think FossilJockeyMG has a valid point in that they could always create a formula to determine ivs for transferring. If transferring doesnt seem like a good option, you dont have to transfer. Simple as that. As for the possibility of pokemon exclusive to go, you could always trade online. Theres plenty of trading forums out there on the internet for previous games, it would stand to reason that there will be for future games as well.

Back to answers, yes there are candy, but they raise individual stats, in similar fashion to evs. Cp does go up when you level, but the average amounts cannot be specifically determined based on the footage and demos we were given. If the candy raising stats is the new ev system for these games, yes cp is influenced by it. Cp is a measure of potential, and that can be seen in pogo. An iv check mode on the wheel was available starting gen 7. There is no guarantee that it will be back, esp considering they say this is based on yellow and they want to keep several of the elements it originally had, like during the treehouse when they said they couldn't bare to part with some of the memorable dialogue seen in yellow, like in brock's gym.

I'm here to see everyone's pov. I'm not hear to pick an argument. I will answer questions about my reasoning and logic if there are any. I'm just as unsure about what the end product will end up being, since we all have the same information made available to us. How we interpret that info is what is different, hence I'm interested in seeing what others think.

Sorry, that got super long.

The Last Shaymin

Floof
CP is so dumb though.

how difficult is it to just REMEMBER the EV's if you are grinding competetively

and the IV's?

thats why we have judge

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Ah, I won't argue about not caring about other Nintendo properties; just comes down to personal tastes and interests. However, I will say there are also plenty of 3rd party games on the Switch, so I'd still say it's worth it. (In fact, my first Switch game was Disgaea 5 Complete; traditionally not a Nintendo series.) But if any video game outside of Pokemon just isn't of interest to you, that's fine too.

I feel like I'm in a similar situation as you, but for me, the issue is with collecting the TCG in the Sun and Moon era. The abridged version is that because of the enormous sizes of our English sets now (in order to keep up with Japan pumping out 50 sets a month), the never-ending amounts of ultra rares in each set, and the pull rates of booster boxes, collecting has become tedious and unfun for me. So around Crimson Invasion (gosh, I actually had to look that set name up), I just stopped buying packs and booster boxes. I still went the Crimson Invasion, Ultra Prism, and Forbidden Light prereleases, but outside of that, I haven't had much interest. Not saying I'll never buy cards or packs from those sets, but interest has severely plummeted for me because collecting became unfun. So if certain aspects of these games seem unfun to you, and it might be more trouble than what it's worth, sitting these games out seems like an okay option. (Or, again, just waiting and seeing, at the very least.)

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Ah, I won't argue about not caring about other Nintendo properties; just comes down to personal tastes and interests. However, I will say there are also plenty of 3rd party games on the Switch, so I'd still say it's worth it. (In fact, my first Switch game was Disgaea 5 Complete; traditionally not a Nintendo series.) But if any video game outside of Pokemon just isn't of interest to you, that's fine too.

I feel like I'm in a similar situation as you, but for me, the issue is with collecting the TCG in the Sun and Moon era. The abridged version is that because of the enormous sizes of our English sets now (in order to keep up with Japan pumping out 50 sets a month), the never-ending amounts of ultra rares in each set, and the pull rates of booster boxes, collecting has become tedious and unfun for me. So around Crimson Invasion (gosh, I actually had to look that set name up), I just stopped buying packs and booster boxes. I still went the Crimson Invasion, Ultra Prism, and Forbidden Light prereleases, but outside of that, I haven't had much interest. Not saying I'll never buy cards or packs from those sets, but interest has severely plummeted for me because collecting became unfun. So if certain aspects of these games seem unfun to you, and it might be more trouble than what it's worth, sitting these games out seems like an okay option. (Or, again, just waiting and seeing, at the very least.)

It is true for any other game too. I tend to play on PS4 when I do game but anime games are of little interest right now. I tend to play games with birds in them or have them as the focus unless the game is story based. Detroit Become Human is of interest to me since I like these kind of games, as is The Last of Us part two.

I feel the same way about the TCG. I'm thinking of getting out of it because things are getting out of hand but I'm not sure what to do with my collection.

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
So you got, all pokemon pokemon games?
Like Pokémon: Magikarp Jump, PokéLand, Pokkén Tournament DX, Detective Pikachu, Pokémon Shuffle, Pokémon Rumble World, Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon and all the other pokemon games?

Remember this is not a core game in the series, the core game will come in 2019.
Yes I played all of them. And yes, during the E3 Ishihara said more than once that this game is a main series Pokémon game.