Finished Mafia XLV: Heroes of Askr ~ The Winner Is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but it can still give you a loose idea. That also wasn't my only basis for saying he was out of character.
I only take the relevant bits out of a post. Not to take things out of context, but because anyone paying attention to the game should know the context anyway and it saves reading time.
And the Quoting Olympics are off! >.<
I've been misquoting since before you were born, sonny.

@mirdo and @Neurowolf were both just viewing this thread for a decent amount of time and said nothing. Explanation please?
I don't think mirdo is playing this time.
Not really; just an observation, especially since Lorde hosted a game not too long ago where scum set up a Day 1 lynch on a townie fairly easily. I'd like to reference this thread: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thr...e-of-the-royal-palace-game-over.141375/page-2 where a little bit of pressure from what was basically an RVS snowballed into a lynch.
May I say that, while scum were able to manipulate that, that wasn't the main reason he was lynched, from just pure manipulation. A big reason he was lynched was because he had blatantly said he'd chosen to play a passive game. Passive players (players who are quiet, don't bring new ideas to the table, kinda useless in general) are scummy because of the lack of their activity, and the lack of potential ideas and scum hunting. When he blatantly said he was a passive player, sure it was a rookie mistake, but it's a completely justified reason for even town to start suspecting him, despite him being somewhat new.

You're also kind of acting in a way that new players should just be left alone in terms of pressure and reactions and just watch in the beginning. Let me tell you why that is stupid. They need to learn by trial and error and actually play the game, interact with other players. I really don't like the idea of leaving new players alone for this very reason, because they never will learn how to get good if they don't have any actual interactions with people. Pressure is a good thing in general, and I think it's quite stupid to just leave newbies alone giving them a free pass into D2, without them showing signs of either serious newbie confusion or townie behavior. You need pressure for interactions and responses from the people garnering votes, otherwise you have no idea what's going through their heads. Pressure is heavily used in scum hunting for all players, and is a huge part of getting a reaction. Without reactions, this game doesn't work. That's the entire point, new players should not be excused from that just because they're new, especially in a game like this with a lot of players new to the forum mafia scene. We need their reactions just as much as everyone else's. Pressure helps us do that.

I feel like I just wrote a paper >_<
Obviously the best reasoning ever 10/10.

So sorry for making a rebuttle to someone's reasoning.
1) You actually said Neuro was suspicious for being on Discord but not here. You're now saying an opinion that was almost identical to your own is ridiculous and stupid? You literally made a point about Neuro, a new player in your eyes, less than 2 hours ago. Calling out someone for inactivity is such a ridiculous stretch right now, since the game just began. Here's the quote:
I'm actually finding Neurowolf a little bit shady right now, since he was active on Discord and he viewed this thread but said nothing.

2) This reads as really aggressive and unnecessarily sarcastic. Potentially defensive, but I'm not sure.

Obviously the best reasoning ever 10/10.
That's bad reading. The RVS vote that actually ended up killing Nebby that game was me pointing out the OMGUS.
What made you decide to vote here?
Vote for attention. Neuro's less likely to skim the post when he sees that he's been voted in it.

May I say that, while scum were able to manipulate that, that wasn't the main reason he was lynched, from just pure manipulation. A big reason he was lynched was because he had blatantly said he'd chosen to play a passive game. Passive players (players who are quiet, don't bring new ideas to the table, kinda useless in general) are scummy because of the lack of their activity, and the lack of potential ideas and scum hunting. When he blatantly said he was a passive player, sure it was a rookie mistake, but it's a completely justified reason for even town to start suspecting him, despite him being somewhat new.

You're also kind of acting in a way that new players should just be left alone in terms of pressure and reactions and just watch in the beginning. Let me tell you why that is stupid. They need to learn by trial and error and actually play the game, interact with other players. I really don't like the idea of leaving new players alone for this very reason, because they never will learn how to get good if they don't have any actual interactions with people. Pressure is a good thing in general, and I think it's quite stupid to just leave newbies alone giving them a free pass into D2, without them showing signs of either serious newbie confusion or townie behavior. You need pressure for interactions and responses from the people garnering votes, otherwise you have no idea what's going through their heads. Pressure is heavily used in scum hunting for all players, and is a huge part of getting a reaction. Without reactions, this game doesn't work. That's the entire point, new players should not be excused from that just because they're new, especially in a game like this with a lot of players new to the forum mafia scene. We need their reactions just as much as everyone else's. Pressure helps us do that.

1) You actually said Neuro was suspicious for being on Discord but not here. You're now saying an opinion that was almost identical to your own is ridiculous and stupid? You literally made a point about Neuro, a new player in your eyes, less than 2 hours ago. Calling out someone for inactivity is such a ridiculous stretch right now, since the game just began. Here's the quote:

2) This reads as really aggressive and unnecessarily sarcastic. Potentially defensive, but I'm not sure.
I don't share read on #2, but I otherwise agree with this (especially the new player rant). Also, #1 certainly merits responding to.

I only take the relevant bits out of a post. Not to take things out of context, but because anyone paying attention to the game should know the context anyway and it saves reading time.
Makes sense.

Lol you're saying it's bad to vote for someone because of inactivity this early in the game, when like 10 minutes after the day started you said this:
It was more RVS'ing people who haven't spoken yet, but okay...
Also, I didn't actually *vote* for Neurowolf, unlike Blakers did. Neurowolf was also viewing the thread for like 20 minutes and not saying anything, so I thought I'd try to get him to start talking by mentioning something I thought was strange that he was doing. As to the "Rant On New Player Treatment", I would like to say, again, that I never said new players shouldn't be pressured at all, I just thought it was odd that both got RVSed and I was noticing it. You also said that I was acting like new players shouldn't be pressured at all, then as soon as you finished saying that, you started picking apart the small amount of pressure that I actually did put on him. Your entire post contradicts itself.

Lol you're saying it's bad to vote for someone because of inactivity this early in the game, when like 10 minutes after the day started you said this:
This is very different from what you're implying, actually pointing out they're scummy. What I did is actually something people normally do, it's nothing out of the norm. Check literally any past game, you RVS random people who haven't spoken yet to get them to talk, at least in those very first hours of D1. It is not the same as calling someone out for inactivity, at all. This is a stretch.
Also, I didn't actually *vote* for Neurowolf, unlike Blakers did. Neurowolf was also viewing the thread for like 20 minutes and not saying anything, so I thought I'd try to get him to start talking by mentioning something I thought was strange that he was doing. As to the "Rant On New Player Treatment", I would like to say, again, that I never said new players shouldn't be pressured at all, I just thought it was odd that both got RVSed and I was noticing it. You also said that I was acting like new players shouldn't be pressured at all, then as soon as you finished saying that, you started picking apart the small amount of pressure that I actually did put on him. Your entire post contradicts itself.
What is contradictory about what I've said? I say the whole idea of not putting pressure on newer players is bad, then I pick apart your pressure for a reason that has nothing to do with him being a new player, it actually has more to do with your past posts than anything.
I forgot to mention the fact that you said it was bad to think that new players shouldn't be pressured. Slide that in between these two sentences:
Again, yes I say I think it's bad to leave new players alone, then I pick apart your pressuring for a reason that has literally nothing to do with what I was talking about before.

This is very different from what you're implying, actually pointing out they're scummy. What I did is actually something people normally do, it's nothing out of the norm. Check literally any past game, you RVS random people who haven't spoken yet to get them to talk, at least in those very first hours of D1. It is not the same as calling someone out for inactivity, at all. This is a stretch.

What is contradictory about what I've said? I say the whole idea of not putting pressure on newer players is bad, then I pick apart your pressure for a reason that has nothing to do with him being a new player, it actually has more to do with your past posts than anything.

Again, yes I say I think it's bad to leave new players alone, then I pick apart your pressuring for a reason that has literally nothing to do with what I was talking about before.
It seems contradictory because you say that it's a good thing to pressure new players, but then you start picking apart the one little piece of pressure I put on Neuro, even though you did have other reasoning. The difference between my little poke at Neuro and Blaker's RVS is that I was curious why he was watching the thread but not saying anything, and basically just a little bit annoyed by the fact that he was using Discord but not responding to the thread. Then, he gave me an adequate response, and I dropped it. Blakers RVSed Nebby with a bad reason and it snowballed into a lynch. I was just asking Neuro a question. I said what I said earlier because I didn't want a repeat of the Nebby lynch, and I don't think that me asking Neuro a question could turn into a lynch, unlike the RVS aimed at Nebby.

I've read some of the past games, but I haven't seen any cases of this, maybe I just missed it?

Hi y'all o/

Vote: Jabberwock

u suk
<3

And why would enthusiasm be bad? And where'd you get that from? If your implying that I'm more active and that's scummy somehow I'll just say that I was in the discord chat when quaking said day 1 was up and also it's a saturday and I'm a school kid I don't have much else to do :L
Whoa whoa whoa that's pretty much exactly the reaction anyone who RVSes hopes to achieve. I know you've played in games with RVS before; surely you're aware of it. ##VOTE: RAINYMAN123

It was more RVS'ing people who haven't spoken yet, but okay...
Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree. Y'all might wanna check the definition of "pressure"––what Lordo said was incredibly tame compared to what pressure usually looks like, and what it's meant to do. There's very little chance of "welcome to forum WW" snowballing into a lynch. I don't much like the reasoning of "hey get postin'" when the member in question hasn't been on yet, but hey.

##VOTE: GekkisaiDaiNi
This is a real vote. He's providing unnecessary levels of defense in his saying it was a ninja (though rainy's point was bad as all RVS is), is reaching hardcore calling those RVS votes pressure (and is shutting down some conversation in the process), and is just overall trying too hard.
Also, rainy please give a reason better than RVS for your RVS vote. I don't feel like having to say this again. Even Cel's "reason" was better than yours.
Don't like this much. Yes Gekki's reaching; no that's not a scumtell this early in the game with a newish player accustomed to Discord WW. Also it's almost impossible to shut down conversation during RVS.

So it's a bad thing that I don't want brand new players to feel over pressured and end up getting themselves lynched as town?
It's a bad thing if you really don't want a specific player to be lynched at this stage in the game.

That's no better for your case, because that's Gekki taking the higher ground and basically apologising for something he didn't have to apologise for rather than arguing semantics and distracting discussion. a.k.a he was doing the best thing for town in early Day 1.
I can see NP's point here––which is that Gekki's being hyperconscious of how he appears to the rest of the town, which has been used as a scumtell in the past. We've seen lynches built off less.

This reads as really aggressive and unnecessarily sarcastic. Potentially defensive, but I'm not sure.
No it doesn't.

Please respond to the first of Lordo's points in the post you quoted.

##VOTE: Nebby Baggington

Because you've been active on Discord this morning but not in here.
Pretty valid case for the first few hours of a Day 1, I'd say.

@Nebby Baggington - what do you have to say for your defense?
SM think its a valid case for the first few hours of day 1? Do you think the same here? Because its pretty much the same problem.
##VOTE Blakers then because I was on my phone this morning, and it's a lot harder to post to pokebeach on a S3 than use Discord
This is a good reason.
I don't but it. How about you @NinjaPenguin ?
Why? Why? Have ever tried to use pokebeach on your phone?
##UNVOTE: scattered mind
##VOTE: Nebby Baggington

I don't like this very natural OMGUS.
He's a new player and he probably doesn't even know what omgus is.
Sorry for this, but I just wanted to make a point that it's a stupid idea. And no, @NinjaPenguin , omgus from a new player isn't what I call good reasoning for a lynch.

##VOTE: GekkisaiDaiNi
This is a real vote. He's providing unnecessary levels of defense in his saying it was a ninja (though rainy's point was bad as all RVS is), is reaching hardcore calling those RVS votes pressure (and is shutting down some conversation in the process), and is just overall trying too hard.
Saying that you get ninjad isn't really defending in my opinion. And how is he shutting down some conversation?
Oh wait I can't read that you said it was just an observation. Not sure I believe it, but my line of questioning won't be able to progress if it is true:
##UNVOTE: GekkisaiDaiNi
##VOTE: Neurowolf

Have you read any past games? If not, I highly recommend you do so to familiarize yourself somewhat with how we play on the forums.
Pressuring a new player, the best way to lynch townies day 1.
##vote: Ninjapenguin
Little bit of fluff but I guess it's okay?
And the Quoting Olympics are off! >.<
I've been misquoting since before you were born, sonny.
wow I'm good at quoting ^w^
@quakingpunch73 @bbninjas I don't know if the thread should have sign-ups when it already started
I have some more things I want to say something about, but this should be the most imoortant stuff. (Dont have a lot of time rn)

##VOTE: NinjaPenguin ok so I think it's a bad idea to vote on the first day. Maybe wait until we get a chance to use our abilities that reveal info on each other before coming to a final conclusion. I would vote Nebby because he is being inactive, but NP voted me for an obsoletely pointless reason. I'll probably not stick with this vote or not vote at all, but I'm just going to vote NP for now. Sorry for the weird vote NP, I'm just feeling a lot of pressure from you. Once again, I'm probably not going to vote at all until I get more info on a few people. When we use abilities, can one of you use a seeing ability on me to confirm I'm good? Thanks! Homecoming sucked and I was alone again eating custard in the corner, thanks for asking.

Hi y'all o/

<3

Whoa whoa whoa that's pretty much exactly the reaction anyone who RVSes hopes to achieve. I know you've played in games with RVS before; surely you're aware of it. ##VOTE: RAINYMAN123

Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree. Y'all might wanna check the definition of "pressure"––what Lordo said was incredibly tame compared to what pressure usually looks like, and what it's meant to do. There's very little chance of "welcome to forum WW" snowballing into a lynch. I don't much like the reasoning of "hey get postin'" when the member in question hasn't been on yet, but hey.

Don't like this much. Yes Gekki's reaching; no that's not a scumtell this early in the game with a newish player accustomed to Discord WW. Also it's almost impossible to shut down conversation during RVS.

It's a bad thing if you really don't want a specific player to be lynched at this stage in the game.

I can see NP's point here––which is that Gekki's being hyperconscious of how he appears to the rest of the town, which has been used as a scumtell in the past. We've seen lynches built off less.

No it doesn't.

Please respond to the first of Lordo's points in the post you quoted.
It seems contradictory because you say that it's a good thing to pressure new players, but then you start picking apart the one little piece of pressure I put on Neuro, even though you did have other reasoning. The difference between my little poke at Neuro and Blaker's RVS is that I was curious why he was watching the thread but not saying anything, and basically just a little bit annoyed by the fact that he was using Discord but not responding to the thread. Then, he gave me an adequate response, and I dropped it. Blakers RVSed Nebby with a bad reason and it snowballed into a lynch. I was just asking Neuro a question. I said what I said earlier because I didn't want a repeat of the Nebby lynch, and I don't think that me asking Neuro a question could turn into a lynch, unlike the RVS aimed at Nebby.

I've read some of the past games, but I haven't seen any cases of this, maybe I just missed it?

Oh wait I can't read that you said it was just an observation. Not sure I believe it, but my line of questioning won't be able to progress if it is true:
##UNVOTE: GekkisaiDaiNi
##VOTE: Neurowolf

Have you read any past games? If not, I highly recommend you do so to familiarize yourself somewhat with how we play on the forums.
The first thing I notice about this is "Oh wait I can't read that you just said it was an observation". It seems too panicked and backpedal-y and I don't like it, especially coming from someone experienced. Then, he votes for Neurowolf without giving a reason and segues to asking him if he's read any past games. If he wanted Neurowolf to start talking, like he said here:
That's bad reading. The RVS vote that actually ended up killing Nebby that game was me pointing out the OMGUS.

Vote for attention. Neuro's less likely to skim the post when he sees that he's been voted in it.

I don't share read on #2, but I otherwise agree with this (especially the new player rant). Also, #1 certainly merits responding to.
Why couldn't he have just tagged Neuro and asked him what he thought? I agree that voting for someone is an effective way to force someone into talking, but it's barely the beginning of D1, and there are less active people than Neuro right now (@lugia_Likes2dab!, @Blob55 (although she did say she'd be gone for the weekend). As to this second post, he litterally does nothing except give a shaky reason for voting Neuro, echo Lorde, and exhort me to write a reply (which, BTW, I was while you said this, NP :U). It's very fluffy.

Where the heck do you get that from these?!:
Hm.

I don't see why we should pressure the new people especially since the last two games the newest person got lynched day one as town because of over-pressuring.
Same thing as my above post
Note that I said the same thing to Jade when he RVSed Lugia, and the fact that I was just observing that both of the new players had gotten RVSed and I thought it could be a sign of scum trying to take advantage of them, and that I later pressured Neuro a little bit with this:
They could definitely be scum and I'm actually finding Neurowolf a little bit shady right now, since he was active on Discord and he viewed this thread but said nothing.

##VOTE: NinjaPenguin ok so I think it's a bad idea to vote on the first day. Maybe wait until we get a chance to use our abilities that reveal info on each other before coming to a final conclusion. I would vote Nebby because he is being inactive, but NP voted me for an obsoletely pointless reason. I'll probably not stick with this vote or not vote at all, but I'm just going to vote NP for now. Sorry for the weird vote NP, I'm just feeling a lot of pressure from you. Once again, I'm probably not going to vote at all until I get more info on a few people. When we use abilities, can one of you use a seeing ability on me to confirm I'm good? Thanks! Homecoming sucked and I was alone again eating custard in the corner, thanks for asking.

I love it. If you think that way- you should participate and try to gather information as much as possible in order to have a D2 lead. If you don't- then your philosophy is useless. So that is very scummy. Also similar thing was posted by scum in one of the previous games here, and he was inactive. (Haunted Water iirc)

##UNVOTE:
##VOTE:Neurowolf

I love it. If you think that way- you should participate and try to gather information as much as possible in order to have a D2 lead. If you don't- then your philosophy is useless. So that is very scummy. Also similar thing was posted by scum in one of the previous games here, and he was inactive. (Haunted Water iirc)

##UNVOTE:
##VOTE:Neurowolf

Also wanted to add that that request for protection has a very big general "role fishing" vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back