Finished Mafia XLII: War of the Gods ~ GAME OVER ~ Town wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
I should have paud attention on the claims, got caught up on work.. oh well, it was nice leaving till almost the end

You should read my document about how I read you as indie. Could help you in the future to know what are your metatells, at least in my view.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
What is there to say about it? I mean big part of it is probably that a lot of people are on holiday right now. So that contributes a lot to the quite high inactivity in this round

I hope so, but really, I don't think that's just a phase. I mean.. 12 player game? It used to be 16-18 as a standard and that was still pretty inactive.

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
Don't worry Morda, I promise to gun for you next game we are both in. And yes, unfortunately we realized that people may have forgotten about the Idols probably a day later than we should have. We talked about them a little bit, and I think we should probably have pushed them a little harder in general. One reason for some of the weaker roles was we were hoping the Idols would pick up the slack, but yea, we messed up a little with them haha. All good, dos was an excellent partner, 10/10 would recommend them again, just, keep your children safe, he is known to take the unlawfully ^w^

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
You should read my document about how I read you as indie. Could help you in the future to know what are your metatells, at least in my view.
I agree on some other like how I was redirecting about indie was just me trying to post something to reach the minimum quota. Most probably due to not paying attention much due to the timing of here and work....

mordacazir

Lord of Souls
What is there to say about it? I mean big part of it is probably that a lot of people are on holiday right now. So that contributes a lot to the quite high inactivity in this round
That was probably one of the reasons, and also the reason I won't be participating in next round, because I'm going to worlds this year. I'll sign in as a sub after I've come back from that though.
Don't worry Morda, I promise to gun for you next game we are both in.
Okay, the doctor in that game knows what to do now :p.

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Here are my assorted random thoughts:

First thing, I don't see how Drac alleviated suspicion on himself with the quotes. I don't see any way how he could have done what he explained, especially seeing as one had the quote arrow already.

As for our failing scumteam, I think there were two main events that really hurt us: the blocked kill and IE's modkill. The blocked kill hurt us because it put us behind on our endgame time and gave you two basically cleared townies (who I tried to cast shade on but failed as I got lynch in the end). As I was lynched (which could have been prevented if only mirdo was slightly more active), I tried to put IE and Camo in my scum reads, to potentially help them out. Instead, IE dies in the night. There are so many frustrating things about this FMPOV. First, we don't even get a kill as a trade, like we would if he was lynched. Second, my plan is revealed to the town, eventually getting Camo lynched. Finally, bb is close to cleared, as he pushed both other scum (though his push on IE was sort of artificial).

Morda, you played impressively this game. I saw you start to pressure and analyze well! Keep that up in the next game.

I don't know the equation for how the idols were handed out, but I feel like there were little positive compared to the huge amount of negative idols that were given.

As for the dying elephant in the room, would it be possible for us to advertise a larger game on other sections of the site? If we get back to 18-24 player games through front page advertisements and similar things, I think a lot of people would stick around, allowing us to consistently have larger, and therefore more active/fun, games.

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
Here are my assorted random thoughts:

First thing, I don't see how Drac alleviated suspicion on himself with the quotes. I don't see any way how he could have done what he explained, especially seeing as one had the quote arrow already.
I only quote the first one, I actually did the other like I said but for another reason, I put it aside so I know which quote to not show and which one need to change the ability names.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
NP in Dead Chat said:
I think that before Lorde's game starts, we need to have a discussion bon how to recruit mafia players, because this is just getting ridiculous.
But yeah, everyone's on their summer holiday, and they don't have time for PokeBeach Mafia during this time. It's understandable, but we can always try to get other players into the game.
As for the dying elephant in the room, would it be possible for us to advertise a larger game on other sections of the site? If we get back to 18-24 player games through front page advertisements and similar things, I think a lot of people would stick around, allowing us to consistently have larger, and therefore more active/fun, games.
And this is an amazing way to do that. We all want bigger games. Personally, I'd LOVE a game with 18-20 people in it. More discussion, longer games, etc. and advertising the game all over the site would not just be a way to get newer players to come to Mafia, but the Forum Games section as a whole. We've all seen the numbers dwindle, probably because of holidays and stuff like this, and how after the holiday's over they've already forgotten about PokeBeach Mafia. Advertising would at least bring in a new era of players. Only problem is, would we be permitted to?

mordacazir

Lord of Souls
I really like this idea and would want to help with that but my concern is, are we allowed to do that? Pretty much this post from lorde:
And this is an amazing way to do that. We all want bigger games. Personally, I'd LOVE a game with 18-20 people in it. More discussion, longer games, etc. and advertising the game all over the site would not just be a way to get newer players to come to Mafia, but the Forum Games section as a whole. We've all seen the numbers dwindle, probably because of holidays and stuff like this, and how after the holiday's over they've already forgotten about PokeBeach Mafia. Advertising would at least bring in a new era of players. Only problem is, would we be permitted to?

mordacazir

Lord of Souls
Before we start a game, maybe we can tag all the people that have participated before and get more people that way? Because I know there were different people playing mafia when I started (except camo, bb, scattered and celever) like @thegrovylekid @Blakers @Vom @Reinforce . If even a quarter of all old players would come back (because there are a lot more) that could make games with 18-20 people.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
There is no rules against advertising the site itself and/or its sections. Just other sites in this site. Feel free to spread the word.

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Perhaps we could all place the banner and link for sign ups of each Mafia game in our sigs? That way, if we post in other places on the forums, the people there can be informed of the ongoing mafia game.

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
I don't know the equation for how the idols were handed out, but I feel like there were little positive compared to the huge amount of negative idols that were given.
So for each heart that was paid, the chances of getting a good idol went up. We rolled it out of 50.

For an example, with 0 hearts, the chances were 0/50 for a really good idol, 5/50 for a good idol, 10/50 for a neutral idol, 15/50 for a bad idol, and 20/50 for a really bad one. With each heart spent, the chances of getting a good and really good idol went up by one. So after spending 10 hearts, it was 10/50 for really good, 15/50 for good, 15/50 for neutral, 10/50 for bad, and due to the increase in chance for the good idols, the really bad idols had a o/50 chance to get pulled. After rolling for that, then the idols were rolled for.

...yeah kinda confusing, I know, but so long as you spent 10 hearts, you would've at had a 50% chance to get something decent. Though, the idols were a bit one sided in terms of numbers. >.> Definitely could've worked on that.

Blakers

Holder of the Holy Diamond!
Before we start a game, maybe we can tag all the people that have participated before and get more people that way? Because I know there were different people playing mafia when I started (except camo, bb, scattered and celever) like @thegrovylekid @Blakers @Vom @Reinforce . If even a quarter of all old players would come back (because there are a lot more) that could make games with 18-20 people.
Don't worry, I'm definitely coming back for the next game! I took this one off due to vacation but will definitely be playing again if I can!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Congrats town! I'm sorta glad that my reads were actually fairly decent; I thought I was doing that great at all for a while. Unfortunately this game was riddled with all kinds of inactivity, which obviously impacted the scum most severely.

Thanks double and Vracken for hosting! The game ran pretty smoothly outside the inactivity, and subs happened when needed, so good calls. Regarding the idols, I think the main downfall with them was that getting a good idol was sorta hard, and even then, once you'd gotten your hands on a good one, it generally wasn't that useful anyway. Items are also better suited to larger games where they've got more opportunity to be of use. I think you guys noticed that in the end, though.

As for our failing scumteam, I think there were two main events that really hurt us: the blocked kill and IE's modkill. The blocked kill hurt us because it put us behind on our endgame time and gave you two basically cleared townies (who I tried to cast shade on but failed as I got lynch in the end). As I was lynched (which could have been prevented if only mirdo was slightly more active), I tried to put IE and Camo in my scum reads, to potentially help them out. Instead, IE dies in the night. There are so many frustrating things about this FMPOV. First, we don't even get a kill as a trade, like we would if he was lynched. Second, my plan is revealed to the town, eventually getting Camo lynched. Finally, bb is close to cleared, as he pushed both other scum (though his push on IE was sort of artificial).
This actually was a bigger downfall, but not the main influence obviously. The thing is, you also encouraged people to specifically look into your reads, which coming from scum, suggests that you put fellow scum in your scumreads (and you did). This was how I narrowed the scummier options down to Camo. Also, most people didn't think I was clear at all - in fact, a number of the more vocal players found me suspicious across most of the game.

Are we going to take this time to talk about the big dying elephant in the room called Pokebeach Mafia?
Ninja Penguin said:
To clarify, while you can certainly advertise via your sigs, or through profile posts or Discord (providing you're not spamming), we currently can't advertise using threads in other sub-forums. Similarly, we can't advertise mafia on the front page unless the game is special and will be of absolute quality - remember the front page (and attached social media) is for Pokemon news and some large TCG programs, not the odd forum activity.

However, if you guys have some creative ideas of how to bring people back to mafia, or find new players, then I'm all ears! You can certainly discuss here (until this thread dies), in the general FG thread, or message me privately.

---

On that note, as I indicated in the dead chat, this game just past will be probably be my last for a while. The reason being that I simply don't enjoy mafia where less than half of the players actually do the work, and when it's a struggle to actually get others to post something. We might get annoyed about people subbing in and not actually playing, but over half of the town didn't contribute much themselves! It's actually caused quite a bit of sheeping, which results in tunnelling or an single idea engulfing the town.

Something that could alleviate this slightly is to reduce those game days, because often those hours are spent sitting around doing nothing, waiting, rather than actually being used.

I think this is something that needs to be faced if we're hoping to increase mafia popularity. Mafia is probably dead if only the same few people are always having to run the show, due to over half of the town not voluntarily participating in the first place, so we realistically need see a change in participation with the current mafia playerbase as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.