Finished Mafia XL: Age of Piracy: Game Over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But personally, my most memorable role was when I won the game as scum, as long as I got none vanilla role, i dont ever mind my alignment.

But what really is the best play is not being a sub, What celever say is kinda true, usually sub has less interest in the game especially if they sub out a bit late i the game. From personal experience.

I wish to talk about activity in this game. There were days when players (Celever, Rainy) made 1/2 posts and skirted by. When you have that, there is nothing you can really do. In fact, literally every scum in this game was subbed out at one point in the game. I don't think that's a coincidence. Next game, Blakers and I will step up activity thresholds, so be warned.
Yeah, I wasn't much for the inactivity this game either. We worked our way through seven subs in a 14-player game, and like you said, not one member from the original scum team was still around at the end.

That said, I was increasingly hesitant to sub out Celever and rainyman as MYLO went on and on. For many of the reasons Celever mentioned here; subs need to be caught up too much and just don't play with the necessary motivation, which I think is much more hazardous in MYLO than it would be on Day 2 or 3. Would be interested to know for future games whether you agree, or whether you think inactives should be subbed out in MYLO the same as they are earlier. :)

Yeah, I wasn't much for the inactivity this game either. We worked our way through seven subs in a 14-player game, and like you said, not one member from the original scum team was still around at the end.

That said, I was increasingly hesitant to sub out Celever and rainyman as MYLO went on and on. For many of the reasons Celever mentioned here; subs need to be caught up too much and just don't play with the necessary motivation, which I think is much more hazardous in MYLO than it would be on Day 2 or 3. Would be interested to know for future games whether you agree, or whether you think inactives should be subbed out in MYLO the same as they are earlier. :)
Blakers and I will be ruthless. Unless modkilling will cost a side the game, we won't be afraid to do it.
P.S.
Throughout the game, I was wondering about this:
It's a little joke that he might explain when the game ends. Don't fret over it. :p
Now that the game has ended, I'm curious to hear about this.

I love how Celever hinted him being scum with Camo by saying that the only time he is scum is when Camo is also scum. XD

I don't think I agree with the idea that inactive should b pressured to talk by the active players. I think it is the hosts job to not be afraid of mod killing players who simply don't play the game. I think it is easy to not see that as a host when they actually talk in their scum chats but that is not playing the game. And if you are getting hasitated to sub out people, you get late subs that are no longer following the game, and which are prone to be inactive too. I prefer quick game with lots of posts and activity than a long game with no activity.
However, I do not support mod killing or subbing out players in late game, and that is why these things should be handled as soon as possible.

Blakers and I will be ruthless. Unless modkilling will cost a side the game, we won't be afraid to do it.
Usually modkilling costs a side the game. Really the latest hosts can get away with a modkill is Day 2, otherwise the affected side can have a hell of a time trying to make up for lost ground. The awkward thing about modkills are that no matter what faction is victim to the kill, it hurts the town more than the scum. Even if a scum is modkilled, if their activity is low enough to warrant a modkill, they are usually lynched at some point anyway. Having that lynch option removed can actually result in an extra town lynch than there would've otherwise been, which is one less source of actions that would've otherwise been spared.

This is why I usually prefer to just let the inactives be lynched or killed. Calculatedly ruthless subbing is good, but being ruthless with modkills usually does more harm than good.
I love how Celever hinted him being scum with Camo by saying that the only time he is scum is when Camo is also scum. XD
I was pretty sure we'd won by that point, so I went for it. :p I'm sure Camo facepalmed when he saw it (if I got lynched before him, my roleflip would be a death knell for him) but I got a mild kick out of it. :L

I'm glad you guys liked the setup, but thank Jabber, since he designed most of it! I pitched a few of my own ideas, but otherwise I just balanced, gave advice and was backup. Jabber did p'much all the work. :p

P.S.
Throughout the game, I was wondering about this:

Now that the game has ended, I'm curious to hear about this.
Pretty much, @Professor Palutena found it quite amusing that the very first post that Camo made was a gigantic wall (or something along those lines).

I don't think I agree with the idea that inactive should b pressured to talk by the active players. I think it is the hosts job to not be afraid of mod killing players who simply don't play the game.
I think there's a bit of both. There's people who naturally cause conversation, and those who don't. Sometime those who aren't naturals, who just end up lurking, need a bit of a push or direction, as they don't really know what to talk about otherwise. Host intervention is always a last resort - ultimately, they are limited to saying "be more active", subbing players out and modkilling, but none of those actually address the core issue - people will remain just as inactive in future games. The beauty is that any player can cause activity by very quickly and easily posting a question for another player to answer, and this does address the core issue somewhat.

There's probably a bit of confusion about what "pressuring to talk" should involvle. You've got the below:

"@bbninjas, where are you?" or "Looks like @bbninjas has disappeared."
This is the type of pressure we most commonly see, but it actually doesn't achieve much. Think about it; more often than not, people just give an excuse for their lack of activity. However:

"@bbninjas, what are your thoughts on this post/this player/this vote count/this player vs player."
On the other hand, much more direct and specific pressure like the above invites people to actually discuss something. The player doesn't even need to be following the game particularly closely to answer them, meaning those with less time on their hands can feel like they can participate. I reckon that asking for thoughts on specific posts would be most effective, as for the other questions, players repeat what has been said already both intentionally and unintentionally.

Pretty much, @Professor Palutena found it quite amusing that the very first post that Camo made was a gigantic wall (or something along those lines).
You know that scroller on the side of your browser?

When Camo made that post, my scroller was halfway down. And it was the last post on the page at the time. I thought it was hilarious.

Camo also managed to summarize a lot of my thoughts on the game and how town played very poorly for the first few days, which is actually why I liked it. You guys relied way too much on flavor and speculation about the flavor until he joined the game.

The first few days of this game reveal why sticking to canon with your flavor is a poor game hosting decision. Deviation from canon strengthens the game because flavor takes a backseat to the player's gameplay. We've seen this happen in many, many games based on pop culture and this always happens and it always screws town over.

Just got an alert that someone random posted in the East India Company chat, and they posted with a link (which I haven't looked at). You might want to delete that post...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back