Finished Mafia XL: Age of Piracy: Game Over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special
I hope we haven't lost the game! Guess we'll just have to wait for @Jabberwock to come on and see how everything turns out.
I'm know I said a very similar thing, but this is one of those horrifically scummy posts like "Oh dear, a townie got nightkilled" or "Too bad about yesterday's lynch".
Beat me to it.

Having said that, you probably hit scum and celv is trying for that last-minute town cred. So I guess he made the next lynch easy to go after.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Night 7
It had been a stressful Day for everyone. The last Day and Night had been spent in MYLO––not a single one of the crew had slept easy, save those who were not who they claimed to be.

This Day, there had been some discussion over proceedings of the sunset before: Only one person had witnessed a rare error on the part of the powers above, and so it was solely on their word that the rest of the crew was expected to enact a lynch. In the end, he was believed, and the one he accused, lynched. However, as the crew gathered to toss him overboard––no walking the plank; they would take no risks in MYLO––a cry rang out.

"STOP!" someone said. "Rainyman123 is not to be harmed!"

"On whose authority?" Jack sneered.

"Ye'll just have to trust me on this, Jack. I can't say why. Ye might not like the answer if I did."

Jack wavered for a moment. It was risky to put blind faith in anyone, especially if you happened to be in MYLO. But then, he had always believed in innocent-until-proven-guilty. It had let him off the hook often enough. Besides, he thought he saw a way to win, in the end, even allowing for rainyman123 to survive. "Fine!" he thundered. "Leave 'im be, lads."

He only hoped it wasn't a huge mistake.

There has been no lynch!

Vote Count to Lynch:
Blakers: 1 | [Celever], [rainyman123]
rainyman123: 4 | [scattered mind], [Blakers], [Camoclone] ~ LYNCHED

Vote Count for Port:

"Not again!" Jack muttered irritably. "Bloody hell."

Night 7 has begun. Against all odds, the Motley Crew still has a slim chance to win the game.

Singapore is in effect. There be no public information to be had about this port.

Night 7 will end on Friday, May 5, at 7PM PST | 10PM EST, or roughly the timestamp of this post, 48 hours from now, in your own timezone.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Endgame
The dawn broke early that Day over a distraught ship. The crew knew they had but one chance, and it lay with the holder of a mysterious bit of gold with the power to shield its holder from death at Night. If they passed it to the right person, they could save the crew for another Day! But, in the end, it was he who was killed by the East India Company that Night …

You’re Hector Barbossa, and you’re aligned with The Motley Crew. A while back, you were cursed by a chest of Aztec gold, along with your entire crew. Only Jack was left out of it, probably because he was off doing who-knows-what on that forsaken island you marooned him on. Well, all water under the brig, as they say, right?

Passive Ability: Pirate Lord of the Caspian Sea
You’re one of the Pirate Lords of the Brethren Court, the council of the most successful pirates during piracy’s golden age. You may speak to your fellow Pirate Lords in the separately sent QuickTopic.

Passive Ability: Cursed Gold
You were cursed once, and then you were killed. Fortunately, that voodoo mystic brought you back to life, but it seems some effects of the curse still linger. As such, if you come into possession of the Pirate Medallion, you can’t be lynched as long as you hold it.

Passive Ability: At the First Chance
You’re well known for your careful planning, but you’ve never been one to wait for the opportune moment––you make your own opportune moments! At the beginning of Day 1, you will receive a Random Ability (which will not display as either Passive or Active).

Active Ability: Captain’s Orders
You may not be captain on this vessel, but you’ve got enough influence to make sure you get your way from time to time. Once during the game, during any Day Phase, you may PM the hosts the name of a player. That player and only that player will be immediately lynched, and the Day will end.

Active Ability: Piece of Eight
As a Pirate Lord, you hold a piece of eight; a trinket that is the symbol of your power. On Night 0, you will be given a list of three pieces of eight. You must choose one of them for your own. On Night 1, you must PM the hosts the name of a player (except one of the other members of the Brethren Court). You will pass your piece of eight to that player.

Active Ability: Keeper of the Code
Once during each Day Phase, you may ##VOTE instead of ##vote. If you do, the person you vote for will not be able to target you with any actions (excluding the nightkill) that Night.

Random Ability: He's a Pirate
You're a bloody pirate; a scallywag. For Day 1 only, you must include the word "Arrrgh!" in each post you make. You may not claim or otherwise hint at having this Ability. Abiding by this Ability will grant you a buff for Day 2.

Win Condition: All threats to the Motley Crew are eliminated.

With that, the East India Company achieved parity with the remaining members of the crew, fulfilling their Win Conditions. Cackling evilly, they whipped off their disguises and struck down the remainder of the honest pirates.

rainyman123 has achieved their Win Condition! They were …
You’re Lord Cutler Beckett, and you’re aligned with The East India Trading Company. From a young age, you quickly rose to power within the ranks of the company, and you have now gained not only a title but the position of governor. Your lifelong quest is to end piracy once and for all.

Active Ability: Lord’s Decree
Once per Night Phase, you may PM the hosts the name of a player and either “Innocent” or “Guilty”. If you choose “Innocent”, that player will return the most favorable result when investigated during that Night Phase. If you choose “Guilty”, that player will return the least favorable result when investigated during that Night Phase.

Active Ability: Enemy’s Tactics
You’ve always been good at learning, even from the enemy––that’s a necessary skill to get where you are now. Once in the game, you may PM the hosts the name of a dead player and one of their Abilities. You will gain that player’s Abilities (If you copy an Active Ability, you will gain a single-use version of that Ability).

Win Condition: Outnumber the living members of The Motley Crew.
Celever has achieved their Win Condition! They were …
You’re Sir Ian Mercer, and you’re aligned with The East India Trading Company. As both Lord Beckett’s right-hand man and the enforcer of his decrees, it was to you he turned for counsel during the War of Piracy. You’re both ruthless and merciless: whatever it takes to get what you––I mean, uh, Lord Beckett!––wants.

Active Ability: Evenin’, Guv’nor!
In addition to being Lord Beckett’s right-hand man, you’re also his spymaster. Each Night Phase, you may PM the hosts the name of a player. You will infiltrate that player’s living quarters and tie ‘em to a chair, preventing them from using any Abilities that Night.

Active Ability: Royal Pardon
You have the ear of Lord Beckett, and the man who has his ear has the ear of the king. You could say you’re in considerable control. Once per Night Phase, you may PM the hosts the name of a player (excluding you). If that person were to be lynched during the following Day, there will be no lynch. If this Ability successfully prevents a lynch, it cannot be used again.

Active Ability: Pirate Medallion
You’ve kept trinkets stolen from all the pirates you’ve murdered over the years. One such was a gold medallion. You’re not sure what it does, you believe it may be cursed. Best not to let that too close to the East India Company, eh? On Night 0, you must PM the hosts the name of a player. You will pass the Pirate Medallion to that player.

During Night 0, you may not pass this medallion to another member of the East India Trading Company. This paragraph will be hidden from any role flips, scans or similar claims.

Hidden Ability: Courting
Seeing as you're posing as Elizabeth Swann, you'll need every ounce of disguise you can muster, and that means maintaining relationships. As such, if you and the player whose role or safeclaim is Will Turner vote for the same player, your combined vote weight will be 3.
During the next Night Phase, you will gain a new Ability.

Camoclone has achieved their Win Condition! They were …
You’re Admiral James Norrington, and you’re aligned with The East India Trading Company. Jack Sparrow’s got to be the worst pirate you’ve ever heard of, but that didn’t stop him from escaping from right under your nose! Disgraced and cast out of the Royal Navy, you spent the next few years chasing him across the world. Well, now you’re back, and with the East India Trading Company behind you, even Jack Sparrow won’t escape this time!

Passive Ability: Infiltration
Success! You’ve managed to infiltrate and gain access to the Brethren Court of the Pirate Lords. Must be something about all those years you spent living rough. You may speak to the Pirate Lords in the separately sent QuickTopic.

Passive Ability: Weathering
You’re far more equipped for dealing with harsh conditions than the rest of the King’s Navy. After all, you lived almost as a pirate for years! As such, you can’t be affected by any negative effects of ports.

Active Ability: Royal Archives
Your new status as an admiral has given you certain … privileges. For one, you’re now able to look into the King’s royal archives! Once per Night Phase, you may PM the hosts the name of a player. You will search the archives, learning that player’s role name (or safeclaim name, if they have one). There is a 33% chance that you will learn their full role (or safeclaim) instead.

Active Ability: Not-Quite-Piece of Eight
To better aid in your infiltration of the Brethren Court, you have not-so-skillfully crafted a few select “pieces of eight” of your own. Well, they’re just pieces of junk, really, but a pirate won’t know the difference. On Night 0, you will be given a list of three “pieces of eight”. You must choose one of them for your own. On Night 1, you must PM the hosts the name of a player (except one of the other members of the Brethren Court). You will pass your piece of eight to that player.

The East India Trading Company has won! Congratulations!

Having parity, the East India Company killed off the rest.

Keeper of Night has been killed! They were …
You’re Davy Jones, and you’re aligned with Yourself. Also sometimes called the Old Man of the Sea in legends, your heart was stolen long ago by the sea goddess Calypso. You’ve been doomed to ferry souls between worlds ever since.

Passive Ability: Cursed Gold
Once, a long time ago, this crazy monkey brought you a gold coin. You have no idea what he meant by it, but you’ve kept the coin to this day, just in case. The coin, though, seems to be cursed. As such, if you come into possession of the Pirate Medallion, your vote weight is 2 when voting during the Day Phase for the crew’s choice of port.

Passive Ability: Alone
Your solitude keeps you safe. Since no one can truly get to you, your Abilities can not be stolen, copied, disabled, or otherwise affected by other players. (The targets of your Abilities can still be affected.)

Active Ability: Dead Man’s Chest
As the captain of the Flying Dutchman, your heart is kept secreted away from the world. On Night 0, you have the option of entrusting another player with your heart. If you do, you will be kept alive as long as that player is alive. If that player dies before Day 6, however, you will die with them.

Once per Night Phase (starting with Night 1), you may PM the hosts the name of a player. If the player who holds your heart uses an Active Ability during that Night Phase, its effects will be redirected to that player.

Active Ability: The Dutchman Sails
Your ship is capable of much more than a mortal vessel. The depths of the sea hold no danger for you. You can even travel to World’s End itself, with no one the wiser! Each Night Phase, you may PM the hosts the name of a port. You will find out the full effect of that port in a short summary.

Win Condition: You are the last player remaining.
Blakers has been killed! They were …
You’re Captain Jack Sparrow, and you’re aligned with The Motley Crew. Often recognized as the most infamous pirate in the Caribbean, you sail these waters with a keen eye and a drunken stagger. Your greatest love is the sea, seconded only by your ship, the Black Pearl.

Passive Ability: Pirate Lord of the Caribbean
You’re one of the Pirate Lords of the Brethren Court, the council of the most successful pirates during piracy’s golden age. You may speak to your fellow Pirate Lords in the separately sent QuickTopic.

Passive Ability: Trust Issues
Your charm and glib tongue have gotten you both into trouble and out of it, leaving many people wondering whether you can be trusted or not. Each odd-numbered Day Phase (1, 3, 5 …), you will require one more vote to be lynched. Each even-numbered Day Phase (2, 4, 6 …), you will require one less vote to be lynched. If this Ability would make it so you are lynched at L-0, it will fail to activate.

Active Ability: Captain of the Ship
It’s your ship; that makes you captain! That means you can order everyone around, and they have to do what you say! Each Night Phase, you may PM the hosts the names of two players. If the first player uses any Abilities that Night, the Abilities will be redirected to the second player.

Active Ability: Piece of Eight
As a Pirate Lord, you hold a piece of eight; a trinket that is the symbol of your power. On Night 0, you will be given a list of three pieces of eight. You must choose one of them for your own. On Night 1, you must PM the hosts the name of a player (except one of the other members of the Brethren Court). You will pass your piece of eight to that player.

scattered mind has been killed! They were …
You’re Edward Teague, and you’re aligned with The Motley Crew. The father of the infamous Captain Jack Sparrow, you’ve risen to almost legendary status among pirates. The few who have met you always ask questions about your various escapades. Your answer? Sea turtles, mate.

Passive Ability: Living Legend
Your reputation has earned you many advantages in life. Here on this expedition is no different. You may vote twice during the Day without unvoting in between. (If you vote for separate people, and then unvote one of them, you must specify who you unvote.) If both your votes are on a player when they are lynched, this Ability will lock.

Active Ability: Lord of Madagascar
You may not be one of the Brethren Court, but you’re still the Pirate Lord of Madagascar, and that means you know some things. Each Night Phase, you may PM the hosts the name of a player. You will be told whether that player had an Item this Night, and if so, whom they passed it to.

Active Ability: Current Keeper
[LOCKED]
Unlocks when you are the Keeper of the Code.

The East India Company (scumchat) may be found here.
The Brethren Court (mason chat) may be found here.
Davy Jones’ Locker (deadchat) may be found here.

Thanks so much for playing! A postgame will be coming soon. :)

(And, ofc, ye may now talk as ye like in-thread.)

VinculumStellarum

Hello Tomorrow, going well? Any luck?
Hey guys, good game! I was really sad to sub out, seeing as I finally rolled scum, but oh well. Life happens. It was probably for the better, too, since I've been pretty emotionally unstable lately.

I didn't really follow the game after I subbed out, but the one thing I found pretty stupid was the whole bickering between Camo and Keeper. It just irritated me to no end. Trying to lynch someone three times when they were obviously killproof was also really, really stupid. Just... come on.

All in all, what can I say? I didn't really play. But I look forward to playing next game!

Blakers

Holder of the Holy Diamond!
Damn, I played right into your hands. GG scum! And sorry Town for probably being the worst Jack Sparrow possible!:(

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
That was fun. Sorry for being such a horrid player. I'll be better next time, promise.

mordacazir

Lord of Souls
I KNEW IT CAMO. I was following this game all the time and I don't know why, but you were very scummy in my eyes.
EDIT: Still think it was a stupid reason to get lynched. :(

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Congrats scum!

To see the full setup, visit the Google Doc. Unfortunately for town, they lost their two most powerful roles by Day 2 (their powerful JOATs, Tia Dalma, and the doctor). I think this setup was interesting, since there was actually a very large number of ways to block the nightkill or the lynch. There was the Medallion, the doctor, Dalma's role and the indie, as well scum's lynch stopper. In hindsight, this did make the setup quite swingy, and moreso if town hadn't lost their most powerful roles early.

Apologies for that mistake with the role flips later in the game! It prooved difficult to find the best resolution, but we decided to go for a no lynch as that was what should've happened, to keep it fair for the scum, who had a high chance of winning if they tied or won the lynch. However, if anyone has any feedback on our we dealt with that, that'd be much appreciated. :)

Damn, I played right into your hands. GG scum! And sorry Town for probably being the worst Jack Sparrow possible!:(

That was fun. Sorry for being such a horrid player. I'll be better next time, promise.

^
That's all I can say.

Don't be so hard on yourselves! Town's loss was caused by a simple mistake - letting scum (Camo) lead town - and that can be learnt from! Basically, be careful about following an experienced player's scumhunt, especially people like Camo who tend to be very difficult to read. Your scumhunts and opinions are extremely valuable to prevent this from happening.

Otherwise, this game had a bit of tunnelling that caused a number of the early town lynches. If you're a scumhunter, keep an open-mind, especially with tells, otherwise you might find having confirmation bias and tunnelling town. If you're not so much a scumhunter, take a step back to scrutinise the cases/scumhunts of others for logical errors and look at the options. I read back to some old games, and noticed there to be three main parts of scumhunting:

- asking players for their thoughts, to draw out potential evidence
- analysing this evidence to build cases
- questioning the logic of other players to expose flaws and finetune cases
Too often we consider scumhunting to be purely building cases, but as these go hand-to-hand, they're equally as important! Asking players for thoughts, or just giving your own, and questioning logic doesn't require much effort, either. I reckon our town play could get much stronger if everyone is contributing to the scumhunt in one or more of these ways. ^--^

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Good game, scum! I caught on to the scumteam at the end, and even tried a desperation lie, but in the end, it was too late.
I wish to talk about activity in this game. There were days when players (Celever, Rainy) made 1/2 posts and skirted by. When you have that, there is nothing you can really do. In fact, literally every scum in this game was subbed out at one point in the game. I don't think that's a coincidence. Next game, Blakers and I will step up activity thresholds, so be warned.
I really wish Drac had said something like foresight, especially because I remembered what happened with him and HMP. Either that, or you could just out yourself as the seer to remove a scum. That's 100% worth it. In these games, lynching one scum will generally reveal most on the team to you (for me, knowing that Blakers was town confirmed Celever as scum which confirmed Camo as scum).
The role design, in my opinion, was very good. They were powerful, yet surprising and unknown.
Finally, I have learned to trust the roles more and less. I was pretty sure that two role uses confirmed Celever as scum, and he was scum and that Camo's target confirmed Drac as scum. At the same time, I could not use LC's role like I thought I could.

Now then, get ready for a party in Mafia XLI, hosted by Blakers and myself!
P.S. I probably should have known that Blakers was town the second he asked me "What exactly is a safeclaim?" when we we designing our game. :p

Blakers

Holder of the Holy Diamond!
And hey, I did make it to the end like I said I wanted to at the very start, so that's something! This game was an awesome learning experience, and I can't wait to co-host the next one! (And am I the only person who actually doesn't want to get a scum role?:p)

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
And am I the only person who actually doesn't want to get a scum role?:p
For me, getting a scum role allows you to chill out and stop scumhunting, which is a blessing in many ways. At the same time, you are paranoid about getting caught, which is not good. My ideal role is probably an indie.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Very fun and smart game. I do feel like I was tunneling a lot so that is something I need to learn from. Also, I noticed that during late game mass claims I tend to be less active, mainly because I try to keep up and understand what people say on each role.

Ninja Pinguin was such a fantastic player in this game, and I'm pretty sure we could have won thanks to his reads if we could actually manage lynching someone :p

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I wish to talk about activity in this game. There were days when players (Celever, Rainy) made 1/2 posts and skirted by. When you have that, there is nothing you can really do. In fact, literally every scum in this game was subbed out at one point in the game. I don't think that's a coincidence. Next game, Blakers and I will step up activity thresholds, so be warned.
This. I think that if there are lurkers, town could force activity from them instead of waiting for mods to intervene. One could them direct questions about posts that have been made, and from looking at some past games, this seems to be effective; e.g "@bbninjas, what are your thoughts on this post by @NinjaPenguin". I think this is important, as both town and scum lurk, and so by forcing posts from the lurkers, you can obtain more solid evidence.

Jsyk, some of the scum and the town were inactive because of life, but there were quite a few that could post something if asked.

(And am I the only person who actually doesn't want to get a scum role?:p)
I also really don't like playing scum, because it means I have to think a lot more and I find it stressful.

For me, getting a scum role allows you to chill out and stop scumhunting, which is a blessing in many ways. At the same time, you are paranoid about getting caught, which is not good. My ideal role is probably an indie.
I'd disagree - as scum, you should be scumhunting (otherwise, you get lynched for not scumhunting/scum meta/not contributing/sheeping) and it allows town to lead the hunt on scum. I actually find trying to scumhunt town quite difficult, since town generally acts like a townie.

Celever

Wheeeee~
Subbing always harms a game because the subs don't have as much motivation as players who have been there from the start thanks to not knowing much about the game. Let's be real; subs never actually follow games from the start, even though it's supposedly what they're meant to do.
Though the hosting itself of my game was fairly poor, the one thing that stands out to me was that player activity wasn't as bad as other games during the time period. I think that is because I didn't actually set activity thresholds at all. If people weren't contributing to the game enough according to my jurisdiction, I made it clear that I would sub them out or modkill them with only a single warning beforehand. This worked better than the "make 5 posts per day", because 5 one-liners contributes as much as one 5-line post, but still evades the modkill.

This looks like a really good game, bb! I don't know much about the role setup since I didn't really experience it. Giving scum a lynch pardon was an interesting choice which definitely made us win at the end. It looks like the town was also high-powered, though, and those who were in the game since the start don't seem to have issues, so what do I know. :p

I probably won't take part in the next game because of the inter-forum mafia tournament that would coincide with it, but good luck with it!

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
I was planning to reveal my seer role the day after i was killed, sinc ei was hoping to get atleast one more used,

Eventhough i didnt use the word foresight, town should look better why certain people are choosen to be NK, because most of the time, this people are usually tilted toward town, so scum can keep neutral player or hard to read player alive longer,

I thoug the clue about vracken/celever silence but got no warning should have been a huge clue already, i did stressed that2 days in a row, but no one pickup.

I couldnt risk revealing Vracken early as he was less active and would have only secure my death the next night as the doctor was gone already

Status
Not open for further replies.