Discussion Made-up Pokémon Types

If you're going to include Solrock in that list, you might as well include Lunatone as well. Because in reality, moonlight is just the sun's light reflecting off the moon. So it could be classified as Sunshine :p.

And the problem with a lot of them being Grass type already isn't really much of a problem (at least in my opinion) because Grass is a large type (the second largest if I'm not mistaken).

And the problem with a lot of them being Grass type already isn't really much of a problem (at least in my opinion) because Grass is a large type (the second largest if I'm not mistaken).

What I meant is that the type is closer to redundancy if more than half of the Pokémon would be the same type combination anyway (Grass/Sun), but it's not that bad, just makes it less solid.

Speaking of deriving new types from Grass Pokémon, I also made this one for fun:
fungus type.png
But the selection is way too small of course, unless the type was expanded to include a bigger range of things...not sure what though.

What could possibly be a fifth type I'd want to add to all of this you might be wondering?

Take a look at this seemingly random group of Pokémon:
View attachment 13854

I saw some potential in "weird" Pokémon designs. At first I wasn't sure what exactly I'm looking for, but the contrast of Steel and Ghost was on my mind.
Both feature some biologically radical creatures (a lifeform made of gears or magnets? lifeforms that don't have mass and go through walls?), and then it occured to me there could be another type inbetween, playing a role opposite of Steel.

You've probably heard of the "amorphous" egg-group. Basically it includes Pokémon that don't have a fixed body structure. That's the first aspect that fit nicely as a real tangible contrast to Steel (unlike the ethereal nature of ghost-types), creatures who have deformability...plasticity in their nature to some degree.

A generic example Pokémon design of the type I was looking for, could be described like "an orange rubber blob with tentacles" xD

But in addition to that (I mean, not all Steel types are abstract machinery-inspired designs either, some are merely covered in armors made of metal alloys for example), the type would also include aspects of wearing and using unnatural materials (with, but not exclusively, a focus being polymers) or toy/appliance-like appearances.

I present to you my most WTF made up Pokémon type so far:
View attachment 13856

The main gripe I have with it, is that I can't include Mimiyku and Rotom in the selection due to them being distinct dual types already.

I wanna point out some of the japanese names here.
Night Slash is originally called "crossroad killing", and Dark Pulse is literally "Evil Pulse" (you can also notice that the description talks about an aura of horrible thoughts).
So there isn't really much literal "darkness" in the current Dark type to begin with. Which might actually be a good reason to add one (it would make sense to address these glaring intentional mistranslations first though..)
But in that case, the existing competition you are looking at is the Ghost type, as they are the prominent night-time creatures and that type is where all the relevant moves are (half of the ghost type moves simply have "shadow" as the first part of the name)

Now I wonder how "Dark" can be fixed though... renaming it to Trickster? Sounds a bit long. How is Shady type? Dubious type?...Coward type? Mean type, Vile type...

Ah I see where you're going. Bewear, Darmanitan, Magmortar and Electivire? :D
Emboar, Rhyperior, Golem, if they weren't all dual types. Am I on the right track?
For Mimikyu and Rotom I'd remove Ghost for Plastic, as the reason they're ghost is due to possession meaning they have no actual form

For Mimikyu and Rotom I'd remove Ghost for Plastic, as the reason they're ghost is due to possession meaning they have no actual form

Rotom is pointless though, since it already loses the Ghost type for all the appliance forms anyway /:

As for Mimikyu, I'd probably be more comfortable replacing Fairy rather than Ghost, since it does seem to be a shady creature underneath, it being kinda creepy, as well as the fact that Ghost is its primary type.

Rotom is pointless though, since it already loses the Ghost type for all the appliance forms anyway /:

As for Mimikyu, I'd probably be more comfortable replacing Fairy rather than Ghost, since it does seem to be a shady creature underneath, it being kinda creepy, as well as the fact that Ghost is its primary type.
I always forget which type Rotom loses when changing forms. I do think that fits still as his regular form is his amorphous form while the other ones are inside of appliances.

As for Mimikyu yeah I guess

Personally, since Sound has its own modifier in certain attacks, Aquatic is basically water, and fungus doesn't set itself apart from grass enough, I don't really see how these would exactly be viable to make as actual types in a game and frankly it would further clutter the number of types we have already. Frankly, the only one that I can imagine being particularly possible to make into a legitimate type would be Cosmic, as it suggests an alien power. This is just a personal critique though. I personally feel that if there is going to be a new type, there has to be a combat style involved in it. Because for example, what's the point of changing certain moves to Aquatic if they still involve water anyways? Or what's the point in Fungus if all it changes are spore moves + absorption moves -- something that ALL plants are capable of doing? For the most part, the majority of these types are only practical in the sense of adding new resistances/weakness with how they are right now.

I will throw in a suggestion that I don't believe has been brought up before: the introduction of the Horrendous-type. This is mostly a fragmentation of the Dark-type and Ghost-type. It is made up of incredibly dangerous and horrible Pokémon, deemed to be evil. It is different to the Dark type in that it has no majestic or graceful Pokémon (like Umbreon, Greninja, Absol or Zoroark) that are Dark because they lurk in the shadows calmly.

Although I have no idea how to make the awesome charts that @Mitja created (information on how to do so appreciated!) I will attempt to list my suggestions in a degree of detail:

• Gyarados = Water / Horrendous
  • Mega Gyarados = Water / Horrendous
  • Gastly = Ghost / Horrendous
  • Haunter = Ghost / Horrendous
  • Gengar = Ghost / Horrendous
  • Drowzee = Psychic / Horrendous
  • Hypno = Psychic / Horrendous
  • Tyranitar = Rock / Horrendous
  • Loudred = Horrendous
  • Exploud = Horrendous
  • Shuppet = Horrendous / Ghost
  • Banette = Horrendous / Ghost
  • Duskull = Ghost / Horrendous
  • Dusclops = Ghost / Horrendous
  • Dusknoir = Ghost / Horrendous
  • Mega Glalie = Ice / Horrendous
  • Mega Salamence = Dragon / Horrendous
  • Cacturne = Grass / Horrendous
  • Yamask = Horrendous / Ghost
  • Cofagrigus = Horrendous / Ghost
  • Deino = Horrendous / Dragon
  • Zweilous = Horrendous / Dragon
  • Hydreigon = Horrendous / Dragon
  • Yveltal = Horrendous / Flying
  • Mimikyu = Ghost / Horrendous
Weaknesses:
  • Fighting, because good overcomes evil.
  • Rock, because of the David and Goliath story where David overcomes an evil behemoth (represented by the Horrendous type) with a stone.
  • Normal, because of the same reason as Rock.
Resistances:
  • Poison, because if you tried to poison a monster it just wouldn't work.
  • Fire and Steel, because they both represent gun fire, which is very ineffective against a monster or demon.
Super effective:
  • Poison, because it digests and takes poison without any dangerous side effects so would be strong.
  • Steel, because monsters can destroy poles and steel objects easily.
  • Ice, because of the same reason as Steel.
Not very effective:
  • Fighting, because of the same reason it is strong against Horrendous.

Last edited:
So Dark would then be turned into an actual more elemental darkness kind of type?

Since it's called Evil type in japanese, wouldn't it make more sense to renam the Dark type and add a new type to cover literal darkness?

I figure if we add literal Darkness...let's call it a Night-type to avoid confusion, the Sunlight/Solar/Day-type blahblahbal suggested would also become more interesting as an option.

(as for how I make the pictures, lots of copy/paste, click&drag, and photoshop layers/effects Dx)

day night types.png

Names?
Sun/Moon
Day/Night
Sunlight/Nocturnal

When looking at them separate, the obvious chocies seem Sun for left and Night for right, but the names don't feel like counterparts xD

Of course I had to abandon "my five" types because otherwise these lists are even shorter.

Also, one flaw to this idea was just introduced yesterday: Lycanrocs twilight form....or would it be Rock/Sun since twilight IS still sunlight while not being Night-time? I guess.

How about Sunshine and Void? Sunshine... because I like that name, and Void because in a void, it is completely dark.

Back