Deck Archetype M Mewtwo-EX

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
This thread is for all discussion of competitive M Mewtwo-EX variants in the Standard format. This includes strategies and matchups.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, please post in the Deck Garage.

M Mewtwo-EX Skeleton List:

Pokemon: 10
  • 4 Mewtwo-EX BKT 62
  • 3 M Mewtwo-EX BKT 64
  • 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
  • 1 Hoopa-EX AOR 36
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 35
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Mewtwo Spirit Link
  • 3 Mega Turbo
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 1 Special Charge
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 3 Shrine of Memories
Energy: 10
  • 6 Psychic Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Open spots: 5

Notes:
  • Popular additions include Ability disruption such as Garbodor BKP and Hex Maniac.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
Magearna-EX, if only one, could be a M Gardevoir-EX STS tech...

Of course, should anyone choose to add Magearna-EX, he/she should forget about Garb, as there is not enough room for the recommended 2-2 line. Thank the pokemon gods for Hex Maniac and Rainbow energy(though if using magearna-EX, there's only room for 2 rainbow energies to satisfy the 1 Metal portion of the attack cost of 3 energy(leaving 1 DCE still needed in order for Magearna-EX to attack w/ Soul Blaster), and speaking of Mega Mewtwo-EX, is Yveltal-EX + Zoroark BREAK a bad matchup for it? I have a log in sig, one that was created after I beat a Mega Mewtwo-EX deck on PTCGO, that you can use to answer that question. I'm afraid of diverting the topic, given it's about Mega Mewtwo-EX, and not Yveltal-EX, but I think the mention has to do w/ a Mega Mewtwo-EX counter, which I believe is allowed, but who knows if there's something critical in my log that has the potential to throw this thread off course...

Sabaku

Aspiring Trainer
I see some builds opting to run at least one copy of Parallel City so that they have a way to get rid of the excess fluff now that AZ is gone.

I_miss_Zoroark_GX

Aspiring Trainer
I've noticed a lot of your skeleton lists contains 4-3 of their main attackers. In order to be true to the definition of a skeleton list, I believe that only a 3-3 line should be listed and and that it instead be suggested that one of the open slots could be used for a 4th copy of the basic. The same goes for including a 4th copy of a deck's respective spirit link.

That aside, I really recommend Pokemon Ranger. Almost all decks should have a copy of it these days, especially this one. Considering that the only viable attacker in this deck is Mega Mewtwo EX (you're rarely going to do much damage using shatter shot), this deck would auto lose to locks from pokemon like Regice and Glaceon and would have a difficult time against Giratina.

Last edited:

TheMuddyGamer

God of Water
I had some thoughts on techs in this deck and wanted some opinions. I run a 2-2 line of BKP Zebstrika and now I'm of also running a 2-2 line of AOR Jolteon. My thought process is that jolteon allows M mewtwo become an electric type and zebstrikas ability allows all electric type's attacks hit regardless of effects on the defending pokemon. So things like glaceon and regice would no longer pose a threat without heavy reliance on Pokemon Ranger

ProZlockie

Meow? Meow.
I had some thoughts on techs in this deck and wanted some opinions. I run a 2-2 line of BKP Zebstrika and now I'm of also running a 2-2 line of AOR Jolteon. My thought process is that jolteon allows M mewtwo become an electric type and zebstrikas ability allows all electric type's attacks hit regardless of effects on the defending pokemon. So things like glaceon and regice would no longer pose a threat without heavy reliance on Pokemon Ranger

AOR Jolteon's Ability doesn't work on M Pokemon-EX, only Stage 1 Pokemon, meaning M Mewtwo-EX will not be turned into a Lightning type attacker.

I_miss_Zoroark_GX

Aspiring Trainer
I'm currently only running a 1-1 line of Zebstrika in my deck because I felt that with a 2-2 line made the deck too inconsistent and that I didn't use it against Rayquaza enough anyway. Until a new form of tool removal is released, I believe that a 2-2 line of Garbodor and 1 or 2 copies of Parallel City is enough of a counter to Mega Rayquaza. Zebstrika is also pretty useless against every other deck in standard at the moment to be honest.

freiser

Aspiring Trainer
My list personally:

Pokemon: 14
4 Mewtwo-EX
3 M Mewtwo-EX
2 Shaymin-EX
1 Hoopa-EX
2-2 Garbodor

Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 36
4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Hex Maniac

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
4 Trainers' Mail
4 Mewtwo Spirit Link
3 Mega Turbo
2 Float Stone
1 Super Rod
3 Shrine of Memories
1 Parallel City

Energy: 10
6 Psychic Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

Sometimes the Hex is a godsend against things like Giratina and the turn 1 hex while you're setting up Garb sometimes I wish it was another Float Stone haha!

freiser

Aspiring Trainer
Magearna-EX, if only one, could be a M Gardevoir-EX STS tech...

Of course, should anyone choose to add Magearna-EX, he/she should forget about Garb, as there is not enough room for the recommended 2-2 line. Thank the pokemon gods for Hex Maniac and Rainbow energy(though if using magearna-EX, there's only room for 2 rainbow energies to satisfy the 1 Metal portion of the attack cost of 3 energy(leaving 1 DCE still needed in order for Magearna-EX to attack w/ Soul Blaster), and speaking of Mega Mewtwo-EX, is Yveltal-EX + Zoroark BREAK a bad matchup for it? I have a log in sig, one that was created after I beat a Mega Mewtwo-EX deck on PTCGO, that you can use to answer that question. I'm afraid of diverting the topic, given it's about Mega Mewtwo-EX, and not Yveltal-EX, but I think the mention has to do w/ a Mega Mewtwo-EX counter, which I believe is allowed, but who knows if there's something critical in my log that has the potential to throw this thread off course...

Concerning M Gardevoir, I've just learned to take the auto loss from it. While weakness is a mechanic, you can't win. Don't bother diluting your other match-ups just for it.

freiser

Aspiring Trainer
I've noticed a lot of your skeleton lists contains 4-3 of their main attackers. In order to be true to the definition of a skeleton list, I believe that only a 3-3 line should be listed and and that it instead be suggested that one of the open slots could be used for a 4th copy of the basic. The same goes for including a 4th copy of a deck's respective spirit link.

That aside, I really recommend Pokemon Ranger. Almost all decks should have a copy of it these days, especially this one. Considering that the only viable attacker in this deck is Mega Mewtwo EX (you're rarely going to do much damage using shatter shot), this deck would auto lose to locks from pokemon like Regice and Glaceon and would have a difficult time against Giratina.

I do not believe that a copy of Ranger to stop 2 cards that are not often seen in top tier decks is honestly worth it. The space would be better allocated to something like Escape Rope. That way you can escape rope out, then Lysandre the Regice/Glaceon and OHKO it.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
I do not believe that a copy of Ranger to stop 2 cards that are not often seen in top tier decks is honestly worth it. The space would be better allocated to something like Escape Rope. That way you can escape rope out, then Lysandre the Regice/Glaceon and OHKO it.
I don't think you are seeing the full potential of Pokémon ranger. Giratina's chaos wheel, which can be charged in one turn thanks to max elixirs, prevents you from attaching spirit link, float stone and double colorless energy. By playing a ranger while impacted by the lock, you are able to setup garbodor, mega mewtwo with dce and potentially take the knockout in the same turn. Jirachi plays are also rendered less useful. Regice and glaceon ex are a bonus factor. Ice beam paralysis is useless too with ranger.

Edit: corrected silly double negative sentence.

Last edited:

freiser

Aspiring Trainer
I don't think you are not seeing the full potential of Pokémon ranger. Giratina's chaos wheel, which can be charged in one turn thanks to max elixirs, prevents you from attaching spirit link, float stone and double colorless energy. By playing a ranger while impacted by the lock, you are able to setup garbodor, mega mewtwo with dce and potentially take the knockout in the same turn. Jirachi plays are also rendered less useful. Regice and glaceon ex are a bonus factor. Ice beam paralysis is useless too with ranger.

Hi bud, as much as I can see where you're coming from, there is a few things I want to put to you.

Your first mention of chaos wheel, fair enough, you can't attach DCE. That Giratina already has 4 energy and unless your opponent Lysandre'd in a fresh mega mewtwo to chaos wheel, chances are you will be able to attach 1 or 2 psychic energy manually or through mega turbo. Your problem is however, if you've Rangered that turn, you can no longer hex maniac to get through his ability, alas if you can Garb active that supporter can be better spent on drawing. Chaos wheel is an inconvenience at best but not a deal breaker like Giratina's protection ability.

Your next point about the prevention of attaching items, either you're going first so will already have attached them or you're going 2nd so Giratina can't attack so you will have a turn to load your links and float stones.

Jirachi is a card that sees light play but thanks to the rise of max elixir, sees very little play, he's annoying at the best but no more than say an enhanced hammer. The escape rope/lysandre trick deals with it if needed, same thing with glaceon and regice.

Regarding the Ice Beam paralysis, unless something has changed, Ranger does not remove status effects as a result of attacks.

Escape Rope/Lysandre is just a bit more useful I find against the "lock" cards but that's my 2 cents.

mKnox

Aspiring Trainer
My list:

Pokemon: 13
  • 3 Mewtwo-EX
  • 3 Mega Mewtwo-EX
  • 2 Shaymin-EX
  • 1 Hoopa-EX
  • 2 Trubbish
  • 2 Garbodor
Trainers: 36
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 N
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Pokemon Ranger
  • 1 Skyla
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Trainers Mail
  • 2 Mega Turbo
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 3 Float Stone
  • 3 Mewtwo Spirit Link
  • 3 Shrine of Memories
  • 1 Parallel City
Energy: 11
  • 7 Phsychic Energy

I´ve tried many variants of the deck like Zoroark, Raichu, Zebstrika etc. and finally decided to keep Garbodor because it shuts down Mega Sceptile, Volcanion, Greninja, Yanmega and many more decks that kind of instalose once you set up your Garbodor.

Using Hex Maniac instead of Garbodor is better in the Giratina matchup because you are pretty much screwed once Giratina 1HKOs the Garbodor after a Lysandre though.

The only card I play that I see most people ignore is Skyla. I think this supporter should be included in all Mega Mewtwo + Garbodor decks because it makes the deck much more versatile. The deck strategy revolves around damage chance a lot and the current meta there is a lot of stadium control. Having Skyla to specifically seach for a Shrine of Memories in key moments is crucial and getting one when needed it something that may not always happen with a card like Professor Sycamore.
Garbodor isnt useful in every matchup, but when its useful you will want to have it out by turn 2, having Skyla to search for a Float Stone or Ultra Ball to rush Garbodor is really useful.
It is also really useful to seach for Mega Turbos adding 30 extra damage if needed or seaching for the Parallel City and crippling Mega Rayquaza and Rainbow Road.

I also tried a variant without the 2-2 Garbodor and 1 less Float Stone and added 1 Mewtwo, 1 Spirit Link, 1 N and 2 Hex Maniac.
As I said before, the Giratina matchup was a bit better since they couldnt wall you like they can once they kill the Garbodor, but every other matchup that uses abilities became much harder, specially Volcanion.

With this list I instalose against Mega Gardevoir, I dont think there is anything you can tech in to be able to have a chance in that matchup.
I go even with Mega Scizor, depends a lot on the stadium control, how many basic energies I manage to get (main reason I run 7 basic) and how lucky they get with the hammers.
Giratina depends on the variant, Darkrai is harder than Xerneas BREAK due to the Psychic resistance of the Darkrais you need to hit for 230 when they have FFB and it will hardly happen so you will end up exchanging 2HKOs with the risk of them killing the Garbodor and losing. Xerneas BREAK variant is easier since its quite easy to 1HKO and they cant set up as comfortably as the Darkrai version.
The rest of the matchups dont pose any threat to the deck I posted.

Last edited:

freiser

Aspiring Trainer
My list:

• 3 Mewtwo-EX
  • 3 Mega Mewtwo-EX
  • 2 Shaymin-EX
  • 1 Hoopa-EX
  • 2 Trubbish
  • 2 Garbodor

• 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 N
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Pokemon Ranger
  • 1 Skyla
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Trainers Mail
  • 2 Mega Turbo
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 3 Float Stone
  • 3 Mewtwo Spirit Link
  • 3 Shrine of Memories
  • 1 Parallel City
  • 7 Phsychic Energy

I´ve tried many variants of the deck like Zoroark, Raichu, Zebstrika etc. and finally decided to keep Garbodor because it shuts down Mega Sceptile, Volcanion, Greninja, Yanmega and many more decks that kind of instalose once you set up your Garbodor.

Using Hex Maniac instead of Garbodor is better in the Giratina matchup because you are pretty much screwed once Giratina 1HKOs the Garbodor after a Lysandre though.

The only card I play that I see most people ignore is Skyla. I think this supporter should be included in all Mega Mewtwo + Garbodor decks because it makes the deck much more versatile. The deck strategy revolves around damage chance a lot and the current meta there is a lot of stadium control. Having Skyla to specifically seach for a Shrine of Memories in key moments is crucial and getting one when needed it something that may not always happen with a card like Professor Sycamore.
Garbodor isnt useful in every matchup, but when its useful you will want to have it out by turn 2, having Skyla to search for a Float Stone or Ultra Ball to rush Garbodor is really useful.
It is also really useful to seach for Mega Turbos adding 30 extra damage if needed or seaching for the Parallel City and crippling Mega Rayquaza and Rainbow Road.

I also tried a variant without the 2-2 Garbodor and 1 less Float Stone and added 1 Mewtwo, 1 Spirit Link, 1 N and 2 Hex Maniac.
As I said before, the Giratina matchup was a bit better since they couldnt wall you like they can once they kill the Garbodor, but every other matchup that uses abilities became much harder, specially Volcanion.

With this list I instalose against Mega Gardevoir, I dont think there is anything you can tech in to be able to have a chance in that matchup.
I go even with Mega Scizor, depends a lot on the stadium control, how many basic energies I manage to get (main reason I run 7 basic) and how lucky they get with the hammers.
Giratina depends on the variant, Darkrai is harder than Xerneas BREAK due to the Psychic resistance of the Darkrais you need to hit for 230 when they have FFB and it will hardly happen so you will end up exchanging 2HKOs with the risk of them killing the Garbodor and losing. Xerneas BREAK variant is easier since its quite easy to 1HKO and they cant set up as comfortably as the Darkrai version.

This is not a bad list for sure. Personally I'd not run ranger and play the 3rd N over it and maybe a third turbo over the 7th energy. You generally don't want to manually attach psychic if you can avoid it and use your manual attach for DCE

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
Hi bud, as much as I can see where you're coming from, there is a few things I want to put to you.

Your first mention of chaos wheel, fair enough, you can't attach DCE. That Giratina already has 4 energy and unless your opponent Lysandre'd in a fresh mega mewtwo to chaos wheel, chances are you will be able to attach 1 or 2 psychic energy manually or through mega turbo. Your problem is however, if you've Rangered that turn, you can no longer hex maniac to get through his ability, alas if you can Garb active that supporter can be better spent on drawing. Chaos wheel is an inconvenience at best but not a deal breaker like Giratina's protection ability.

Your next point about the prevention of attaching items, either you're going first so will already have attached them or you're going 2nd so Giratina can't attack so you will have a turn to load your links and float stones.

Jirachi is a card that sees light play but thanks to the rise of max elixir, sees very little play, he's annoying at the best but no more than say an enhanced hammer. The escape rope/lysandre trick deals with it if needed, same thing with glaceon and regice.

Regarding the Ice Beam paralysis, unless something has changed, Ranger does not remove status effects as a result of attacks.

Escape Rope/Lysandre is just a bit more useful I find against the "lock" cards but that's my 2 cents.
At the end of the day, it is a players preference what they play in their deck. I am not going to make you play a card. I also did not intend to make you upset. I did not say one was better to play over the other. In fact, I meant it is a good strategy to play both and not disregard it.
I have tried only playing two escape ropes back when ranger didn't exist, but I found many situations where I wanted one back because I had to sycamore it away early game or use it to fix a shaymin or hoopa start. Ranger is a single reusuable card that covers the lone glaceon ex/regice problem.
Mega mewtwo's main strategy is to win, and to win fast. Ranger is an anti-disruption tech to help achieve that goal in those more rare situations.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
My list:

• 3 Mewtwo-EX
  • 3 Mega Mewtwo-EX
  • 2 Shaymin-EX
  • 1 Hoopa-EX
  • 2 Trubbish
  • 2 Garbodor
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 N
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Pokemon Ranger
  • 1 Skyla
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Trainers Mail
  • 2 Mega Turbo
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 3 Float Stone
  • 3 Mewtwo Spirit Link
  • 3 Shrine of Memories
  • 1 Parallel City
  • 7 Phsychic Energy

Why not run both garbotoxin and 1 hex maniac. You can afford to cut a trainer's mail.

freiser

Aspiring Trainer
At the end of the day, it is a players preference what they play in their deck. I am not going to make you play a card. I also did not intend to make you upset. I did not say one was better to play over the other. In fact, I meant it is a good strategy to play both and not disregard it.
I have tried only playing two escape ropes back when ranger didn't exist, but I found many situations where I wanted one back because I had to sycamore it away early game or use it to fix a shaymin or hoopa start. Ranger is a single reusuable card that covers the lone glaceon ex/regice problem.
Mega mewtwo's main strategy is to win, and to win fast. Ranger is an anti-disruption tech to help achieve that goal in those more rare situations.

You didn't upset me bro haha. I was just putting some points to you, was just in the spirit of discussion.

freiser

Aspiring Trainer
V2

4-3 Mega Mewtwo Y
2-2 Garbodor
1 Hoopa EX
2 Shaymin EX

3 Trainers Mail
4 Ultra Ball
3 Mega Turbo
3 Float Stone
4 Mewtwo Spirit Link
4 VS Seeker
3 Shrine of Memories
1 Parallel City
1 Super Rod

4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Hex Maniac

6 Psychic Energy
4 DCE

AquaDragon82

The Canadian Gamer
V2

4-3 Mega Mewtwo Y
2-2 Garbodor
1 Hoopa EX
2 Shaymin EX

3 Trainers Mail
4 Ultra Ball
3 Mega Turbo
3 Float Stone
4 Mewtwo Spirit Link
4 VS Seeker
3 Shrine of Memories
1 Parallel City
1 Super Rod

4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Hex Maniac

6 Psychic Energy
4 DCE
I think that's a very solid list, however I think that a Special Charge would really help, especially in Mega Scizor matchups which gets rid of your DCE.